Liberate your HTC Shift!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest shootydogthing
At the moment the 'settings' on my snapvue does not have the option to soft reset. Would removing and reinserting the battery have the same effect?

Nope, WM6 (and so presumably SnapVue) has persistant storage

Guest matex

Paul

Thank you for the excellent work and the clear and useful guide. The videos are also a very nice touch just to reassure that one has not misunderstood or overlooked anything.

I'm writing this from my liberated Shift. Thanks

Guest Gal Rosenberg

Paul, I have followed the instructions and all worked perfect.

I have 2 questions to you or the forum:

1. I wish to install Hebrew on the Shift will there be any issues or can i just view the machine like any WM6 machine?

2. When Windows update will notify me for Vista SP1 should I or should I not install it on the machine?

Thank you for excellent help by libarating my HTC Shift.

Guest jonnwynn

Hi Paul,

Just got my Shift on the 18 April!

Besides getting the wonderful Shift, I believe I am also getting the best assistance and guildance here!

Your Liberate! is simply amazing!

Thank you for everything!

Guest sigma99

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your work to "liberate" the Shift. It's great!

I applied all the shift packs to my Shift, and most works fine. Only the Office Mobile don't work. I can install the package, but at installation there opens a window with yes/no but no question ...

After the installation the icons for word, excel and powerpoint apears on my shift, but nothing happens if I try to start. All other programs seems to work (internet explorer, mediaplayer..)

I have no idea why it dont works on mine. Meybe because I have not the english version? It's a german version.

I also tried something with a blootooth GPS module, no chance. I read, that bluetooth is not supported yet on the WM6 (Shift). I think about TomTOm for navigation. This may be a very interesting add. But the SD card must also be supported because of all the datas. Mqaybe there's a solution in the future.

I think the Shift does not have any GPS Hardware installed. Am I wrong?

Greetings

Sigma99

Guest coolandfast

i got my shift today and playing around just a bit... i have a german version.

following your instruction to liberate the htc shift did everything as you did in the video.

but when it comes to saving the two files from the mail received i'm not able to store them. the 'save to' menu is not active and btw the icons of the two files look different the they do in your video.

any clue what i did wrong?

any help is highly appreciated.

greetings.

EDIT: stupid me, you have to download the attachments before you can save them.... :D

Edited by coolandfast

Guest HTC-DK
No, phone pad is a text input method. Nothing actually to do with phone calls, it gives you predictive text like a normal phone dial pad.

P

Hi Paul

Thanks for liberating the Shift :D

Would you consider creating a SHIFTpack with the phone-application in order to use SnapVue for GSM phonecalls too?

As the HTC-Shift also supports Bluetooth in SnapVue (WinMo) it should be (in my opinion) allowed/possible to use the HTC-Shift as a phone like other WinMo-phones, right?

Best regards.

John

Guest HTC-DK
Additional SHIFTpacks

Hi Paul

Except for the office mobile pack above I have activated the WinMo normal features above thanks to your guidance. However, neither the office pack as CAB or EXE seems to work with SnapVue. I'm using a danish version of Shift, and my guess is that there is some kind of DLL konflict. Any ideas of how to make Office work in SnapVue/WinMo?

Best regards

John

Guest febelus

i paul,

i'm working on "winxp on shift" right now:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=386492

device:

wlan,bluetooth,audio,video,intel chip work!

fingerprint driver work but vitakey software can't load fingerprint device

touchscreen: it seem to be a wacom device but doesn't want to work... I suppose that there is an acpi problem.

Can you help me ?

thx

Guest sigma99

Hi HTC-DK

As you can see above, I have the same problem with the german version. Seems to be a language conflict. I try now to replace some files from a german WM6 device. Maybe it works mybe not. I never tried such a thing, but it seems that Paul can't help us, because he only works with english devices, so we have to help us ourselfes. Maybe we got some ideas which files where we should search and replace. This would be great.

bye

Sigma1

Guest lazzarus

Hi Paul,

I am a new user to the shift and would like to say thanks for the liberate packs, everything works fine including office.

I know you get this question a lot, but

1. do you think we will be able to use wifi in snapvue mode?

2. will we be able to use the SD card in snapvue mode?

3. Is there a way of changing the resolution in snapvue mode?

many thanks

Guest siriokelian

hello I poste on this forum for the first time. I am italian, excuse me for my english. I have liberate my shift but the office SHIFTpack it does not work absolutely. I also have tried a hard reset, nothing. Please let me know if there is something else I need to do. Thanks.

Guest me1222

Hi,

great advice so far, thanx

Managed to liberate my device and run all the .exe files from Vista. WM also has installed these. I however do not see any of the icons in WM. I have also installed Win.Commander as suggested. This also installed successfully - but no icon. The only icons newer are the USB and Softreset icons.

No probs connecting and sync with Vista.

Any ideas how I could get to the files within WM. Got the .cab-files stored in there as well - via Mail - just how to I get to them to run them.

Will appreciate your advice.

ME

Guest me1222

Hi,

after now liberating my Shift twice and trying to install the MobileOffice .cab, I somehow can not get PowerPoint and Excel to run.

The Liberation (i.e. Start Menu) works perfect.

Any ideas?

Thanx.

ME

Guest regent1024
hello I poste on this forum for the first time. I am italian, excuse me for my english. I have liberate my shift but the office SHIFTpack it does not work absolutely. I also have tried a hard reset, nothing. Please let me know if there is something else I need to do. Thanks.

Guest siriokelian

Hello, what I am in order to say is not a critic but a consideration. I think that the "SHIFT LIBERATION" at the moment it is not much profit. I am using wm6 on shift from a week; use iternet explorer is truly impossible because the ram is insufficient. The rom memory is very small moreover the SD reader and bluetooth do not work. Since SD reader does not work is not possible to use wmp in order to see a movie or to listen music. Office mobile does not work absolutely and therefore I must use Vista to job. Without an adapted hardware support Htc Shift cannot work like a pda and I think that the Htc he has thus intentional. I am italian, excuse me for my english.

Guest David9999

Paul,

Many thanks for the files, without them I think it's fair to say that the Shift would have gone in the bin!!

Have 'liberated' and added Mobile Office without problems but do have an issue with Synchronising. From SnapView I attach to Vista (on which is installed Office 2003) and Sync starts successfully. In less than a minute it fails and the only message is "The server could not be reached".

What have I missed??

David

Paul

I can't thank you enough

My Shift is free and lite to use

I'm sure that you will find someway for us to access SD card.

Gru

Guest VendorGSM

Hello,

First I want to thank you to Paul for his great research. Now my HTC Shift finally runs 2 operating systems (WM6 Professional and Vista Business). After "Liberate" my HTC Shift I found some new ways to speed up the "USB Tools" to Vista connection and to add mouse over WM6.

1. To faster attach "USB Tools" to Vista without no more attempts, first you should go to "Comm Manager" and disconnect modem then go to "USB Tools" and press "Attach to Vista". With this method I done the connection with Vista always from the first try and don't forget that anyway we can't use the GSM modem connection when the WM6 is connected to Vista.

2. To add mouse in Windows Mobile 6 (Liberated by Paul), there is a tool named "True Connect 3.0" for PocketPC. With this tool installed in Vista you have the full mouse integration when you are in WM6. Anyway this tool add mouse in WM6 only when the WM6 is attached to Vista through "USB Tools" but is a nice way to use your mouse when you switch in WM6. Note that micropad is not supported, only external mouse.

About the SD card support for WM6 I think that this is very hard to realize. Try to imagine our HTC Shift as a Pocket PC with WM6 (with no memory card slot, no Bluetooth, no WiFi and no camera) connected with an USB data cable to a laptop running Vista Business (with SD card slot, HDD, Bluetooth, WiFi and VGA camera). Now just imagine that the USB cable connection is used to share the GSM connection from PocketPC to laptop or for synchronization as "USB Tools" done. Now to have Bluetooth, WiFi, SD card or camera support in the PocketPC is not possible since in this PocketPC is no hardware for that.

If Paul can confirm my theory then we should stop to hope that there is any way to add SD card support, Bluetooth, WiFi, camera or even part of Vista HDD to the WM6 functionability.

Best Regards to all!

Edited by VendorGSM

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.