The 'HTC 6th May Product Launch' coverage post (now with official specs)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

[teaser]This post is where you will find all of our 'HTC 6th May Product Launch' coverage!

We'll be attending the launch event in London and posting news, thoughts, pictures and videos as well as LiveBlogging via CoverItLive and Live Broadcasting the event with uStream (both connectivity allowing of course!)

Check back here just before 11:30 AM GMT on Tuesday for the live coverage, and in the meantime, check out the leak of what we expect to see at the event! :D

Finally, if you have a particular burning question you'd like answered at the event, post it here and we'll do our best!

P

[/teaser]

Little tidbits:

- When the stylus is removed in a call, it starts a note for that person. Removing the stylus turns on the device. There is a magnetic latch for stylus, no more losing the stylus by it falling out!

- When the phone is ringing, you can turn it over to mute the call

- There is a marble game with an accelerometer included, also tied to vibration motor

- It was designed for haptic feedback, but the user experience wasn't satisfactory

- The screen is NOT capacitive due to acceptable user experience for handwriting recognition essential in asian markets

- There is tempered glass on the front of the Touch Diamond, a first for a HTC device. Touch surface -> tempered glass -> LCD

- It doesn't auto rotate all apps, just Album, Browser etc.

- The GPU (graphics accelerator) IS in use

- There is NO microSD slot, adding it would have added 2mm to the chassis

- There is a built in mass storage mode. When you use it to add content from your PC, the music and photo apps automagically update

- The Browser uses the Opera rendering engine, but completely HTC engineered UI

Press release:

A NEW AGE FOR MOBILE PHONES BEGINS;

HTC UNVEILS ‘TOUCH DIAMOND’

Debut brings breakthroughs in size, style connectivity and overall user experience, leaves compromise at the door.

LONDON — May 6, 2008 — Born from a unique heritage of innovation and a deep desire to blend design with simplicity, HTC Corp., a global leader in mobile phone innovation and design, today unveiled its new flagship phone, the HTC Touch Diamond. Delivering unmistakable style and meticulous craftsmanship the HTC Touch Diamond is defined by its compact size, game-changing Internet and its new captivating 3D touch interface called TouchFLO 3D. The result is an uncompromising mobile phone that sets a new benchmark for phone sophistication and shapes consumer expectations for how a phone can be used.

“Today we mark a new era in mobile phone evolution, an era where beauty and size integrate with uncompromising innovation at broadband speeds,” said Peter Chou, president and CEO, HTC Corp. “The HTC Touch Diamond will make browsing the Web and using Web-enabled applications just as practical and easy to use as making calls.”

A New Dimension To Touch

HTC has taken a great leap forward in touch screen innovation with the introduction of its new 3D touch interface called TouchFLO 3D. TouchFLO 3D provides animated access to people, messaging, email, photos, music, weather and more. In addition, HTC is introducing a new innovative touch-sensitive control for interacting with Touch Diamond.

Making The Mobile Internet Fun

With the introduction of the Touch Diamond, HTC delivers an entirely new mobile Internet experience that utilizes broadband-like speeds with HSDPA 7.2 Mbps and HSUPA wireless connectivity. Committed to improving Web browsing, HTC provides a new customized mobile Web browser that enables easy viewing and effortless navigation of Websites in the way they were designed. As part of this browsing experience users can zoom and pan Websites with one-hand and automatically view optimized content that has been specially created to fit the display. Turning the device sideways automatically rotates the web page view from a portrait to landscape view.

In addition to Web browsing, the Touch Diamond includes a customized new, HTC-developed, YouTube application for watching a variety of user generated video content as well as utilizing Google Maps for mobile for mapping and traffic data.

Unmatched Style and Size

The Touch Diamond is crafted with precision to fit comfortably in a user’s hand without compromising on features or functionality. Blending contrasting design elements of metal and unique geometric facets, the Touch Diamond complements a user’s personal style.

Bursting with Innovation

The Touch Diamond delivers an unrivalled combination of features and functionality that set a new standard for integrating mobile phone innovation into a small package. The 2.8 inch display provides near-print quality viewing that enables beautiful Web browsing and viewing of photographs. The built-in camera includes an optical auto-focus lens that ensures the photos you take will be clear and consistent. Advanced wireless and auto sensor screen pivoting are just a few of the features that make the Touch Diamond experience a stand out.

Availability

The HTC Touch Diamond™ will be available to customers across all major European carriers in June. It will be available later this quarter in Asia and the Middle East. The North American and Latin American versions of the Touch Diamond will be available in the second half of 2008.

“Our long-standing relationship with HTC meant they shared their phone concept and worked with us from the earliest stage. This early collaboration is important to us because at Orange, we know that the right multimedia experience is about more than just the phone,” said Olaf Swantee, EVP of Orange’s global mobile operations. “Our approach is to select and test the best phones and integrate our applications, combining them with access to the Orange World portal, the best tariffs, integrated billing, a user-friendly interface and excellent customer support. With the Touch Diamond from Orange we have created a unique phone which has taken advantage of our latest service innovation to build upon the consistently rich experience customers expect from Orange.”

HTC Touch Diamond Key Specifications

• Size: 102 x 51 x 11.33mm

• Weight: 110 g

• Connectivity: WCDMA / HSPA: 900/2100MHz. HSDPA 7.2 Mbps and HSUPA

• Operating system: Windows Mobile® 6.1 Professional

• Display: 2.8-inch VGA touch screen

• Camera: 3.2MP, with video calling

• Internal memory: 4 GB Internal Storage, 256 MB flash, 192 MB RAM,

• Bluetooth: 2.0 with EDR

• Wireless: WiFi 802.11b/g

• GPS: GPS/AGPS

• Interface: HTC ExtUSB (mini-USB and audio jack in one; USB 2.0 High-Speed)

• Battery: 900 mAh

• Talk time: GSM: up to 4 hours

• Standby time: GSM: up to 300 hours/100 hours with push email

• Chipset: Qualcomm® MSM 7201A 528MHz

Guest FragMeister

#1 question, if as expected the Diamond has just a 900mAh battery is this going to provide acceptable battery life (am looking for at least 3days real life usage) - especially with wifi/gps/3g?

Guest Paul (MVP)

The battery size is one of the first things i'll be checking out, and one of the first things i'll be asking HTC if it really turns out to be 900mAh!

P

Guest idavid

it would be good to know about future non touchscreen smartphone development.

and Android, but they wont answer anything about that!

Guest Perfectionist

Can't wait for tomorrow !!

I think the spec of these phones is no secret now ..... but stuff I'd like to know =

Is the screen using improved technology like OLED to increase battery life ?

What is the touch mechanism, still resistive or something better ?

Does the Camera have a Macro Mode and Flash, and how effective are they ?

Does the FM Radio have RDS ?

What does it weigh ?

How long is expected battery life with average wage ?

Have they implemented Drivers properly this time !

And I'm still hoping they will have word on the Android phone !!

Guest Jakob

Hi Paul..

You probably allready know my question, but please ask it anyway, because I´m probably not the only one interested.

When will HTC release a smartphone (non-professional) and without QWERTY, but with the plain old keyboard? (Like a HTC Typhoon 2008/9-version)

A handy candybar phone with decent stand by time, wifi etc etc etc.

/J

Guest Toyota-F1.com
Hi Paul..

You probably allready know my question, but please ask it anyway, because I´m probably not the only one interested.

When will HTC release a smartphone (non-professional) and without QWERTY, but with the plain old keyboard? (Like a HTC Typhoon 2008/9-version)

A handy candybar phone with decent stand by time, wifi etc etc etc.

/J

Actually, I might add my tuppence worth here.

The same, is what I'm waiting for... I have an Orange SPV C500 which I LOVE(!), and have never thought of getting a PDA as that's not what I'm looking for. But since the Touch Dual came out, I'm happy to go for that one, but I want something revolutionary when compared to mine, so WiFi and GPS are now, a must.

The Orange SPV E650 could have fit the bill, had it not got a QWERTY keyboard (why does a smartphone have one anyway?). And actually, the C500 was advertised as "the world's smallest smartphone". Does it still hold this record? I mean, what's with making the fatter "smartphones" (with these slide-out keyboard)?

However, my phone must have a keyboard, I don't want a phone without a keyboard! And I want a normal 1-9 one (however I'm willing to go for one of these SureType ones as all reviewers seem to endorse them).

At the moment, then, it looks like the HTC Titanium will hopefully be my next phone (if it's not too expensive... :s), and boy willl I have waited a very, very long time for it.

:D

Edited by Toyota-F1.com

Guest Jakob

My C500 running WM6.1 is actually a pretty decent phone, but it lacks processor speed, standby time, wifi, QVGA, USB2.0, updated design etc etc. But sizewise it rocks compared to my S710 (which I sold) and to my S730 (which I never use) and to my Mteor which is a piece of crap.

Guest nurotic

I would really like to know if the screen responsiveness and sensitivity has been increased to match that which we get in the Iphone?

Guest tamanaco

Well, I didn't find anything that swept me off my feet. I feel that this is just a HTC Cruizer on steroids with a new touch interface. If the rummored Raphael does not materialize... Without a slide out keyboard... I don't see how this Diamond can compete against the Sony Xperia X1.

Guest Boinng
Well, I didn't find anything that swept me off my feet. I feel that this is just a HTC Cruizer on steroids with a new touch interface. If the rummored Raphael does not materialize... Without a slide out keyboard... I don't see how this Diamond can compete against the Sony Xperia X1.

I think it's safe to say it's not meant to - that would be the Raphael, will obviously will appear at some point, just not today.

The "Diamond" is just the poster boy for this new Touch line, the most cuddly and consumer-facing arm of their WinMo line. The Raphael (or Tytn III if they call it that) will be all hard-nosed business, taking the best from the Diamond and putting it in a more feature-heavy suit.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.