How to mount a new Touch panel on OMNIA

Guest lantony

Can i also use this new digitizer for my samsung omnia i900?

better to wait for the feedback from "whiplash000" (in one month or so) whether the screen is worth buying.

Guest whiplash000
Can i also use this new digitizer for my samsung omnia i900?

You could, but why would you when they have one for your i900 at the same price? I can't vouch for the quality of this screen, but the replacement they sent for my i910 seemed to be genuine, so I bet it's legit too. I'm not sure about that ebay link, it could be a perfect genuine digitizer or a cheap chinese (like the original isn't :)) knockoff... but it IS cheaper.

better to wait for the feedback from "whiplash000" (in one month or so) whether the screen is worth buying.

;)

Edited by whiplash000

my screen stopped working i searched ebay and i got 2 things:

Original LCD Touch Screen Fit Samsung i900 i908 Omnia

http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-LCD-Touch-Scr...5#ht_2480wt_924

and

S/for Samsung i900 Omnia Touch Screen Digitiz

http://cgi.ebay.com/S-for-Samsung-i900-Omn...4#ht_2521wt_924

so which one should i pick the LCD or the Digitiz ?

They are all the same (along with plenty others on eBay). If you don't care about screen sensitivity, go with any one. But if you do, I suggest you visit Samsung repair center.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest OrThaDoX
Urgent, anyone knows which samsung centre in singapore will change the touch panel for free if my omnia is under warranty???

seriously, you can try.. But their services sucks. Esp. the one in P.S

No one understood a thing I was trying to say and all they did was flash my device over and over again to try to fix a bluetooth connection issue

As for me I just received a new panel from ebay. Gonna try to do something over the weekend.

There seem to be an additional hole beside the front camera. Anyone can enlighten me on what is it?

True enough, it's black in color and had some serial number on the connection strip.

My only issue left is to strip the invisible shield to replace the panel...

Guest Zetsumei

Being the cheap ass that i am, i bought myself an used omnia for 75 euros. And from ebay a digitizer + replacement case (16 euros). I'll tell you guys how things go (from the pictures the i900 i'm getting seemed pretty whacked up but can't complain for the price). It should replace my p3300 fine and hold me over till i'll finally switch to a telephony + internet subscription :).

Guest OrThaDoX
As for me I just received a new panel from ebay. Gonna try to do something over the weekend.

There seem to be an additional hole beside the front camera. Anyone can enlighten me on what is it?

Can anyone advise? There don't seems to be such a hole existing in my original panel.

Guest barbs666

hey guys,

just changed my digitzer.... relativley easy,

but now i have put it together and when i press the hang up button it registers the letter "c";

The buttons on the side also dont work (when case is back together...maybe not touching the pads but it sounds and feels like they are.).....BUT when i take the back cover off then the buttons work as normal!

anyone know whats going on??

Thanks in advance!

Edited by barbs666

Guest ntinos92
hey guys,

but now i have put it together and when i press the hang up button it registers the letter "c";

The buttons on the side also dont work (when case is back together...maybe not touching the pads but it sounds and feels like they are.).....BUT when i take the back cover off then the buttons work as normal!

Thanks in advance!

Have you also replaced the old buttons with new ones??? The new ones my not fit correctly causing some buttons to be pushed all the time.... Also check your cable connections if they are corretcly fitted into the slots....

Guest barbs666
hey guys,

Thanks in advance!

so most likely came to the problem:

It was the bottom right screw (looking at the back cover) that if i did it up tightly the button problems occur, if I loosened the screw about 70% tight then it worked..... so i gues it was an issue with the bottom contacts shorting on something

Guest Emexrulsier
Can anyone advise? There don't seems to be such a hole existing in my original panel.

The smaller hole just to the left of the front camera is the light sensor used for automatic brightness of the LCD. You should notice on the circurty next to the front lens the actyal sensor. And your original should have it just look harder :)

Edited by Emexrulsier

Ok, I just did it- replaced the digitizer (bought on ebay from armurcell & delivered to Germany in 5 days!).

It's unbelievable - my old screen was reacting on fingernails only..now it feels (almost) like capacitive!

Just want to give you some hints, which I personally found problematic and not well shown on the videos in Youtube:

1. You don't have to remove the front hard keys at all - just the buttons' themselves can be removed temporary, until your detach the old digitizer. (some videos show how the front hard keys + the optical pointer are removed completely). But be careful and work slowly if you don't have experience with such small & gentle stuff.

2. Pay attention now - when you detach the old digitizer with a credit card or smth similar - be careful as I did split the old digitizer into 2 pieces...just thought that the first edge, where the credit card fits will be the border between the digitizer and the LCD screen, but I was wrong...so the old one is now on 2 pieces.

The digitizer goes up to the metal protective grill of the ear speaker!

Which leads us to the next problem

3. the metal grill of the ear speaker is kind of clued between the digitizer and the LCD..be careful when you detach then not to damage it too much .. you'll need it after all :)

4. when your are about to place the new digitizer have the front hardware buttons in place so you can fit and clue the new digitizer correctly.

That's all - just have those points in mind (or better in front of you), together with a video from youtube and enjoy the new screen.

P.S. I bought a digitizer, that's described as aftermarket...let's hope it will work like now for a long time..otherwise have to repeat the procedure again in some months, but hey for that price you will re-discover your Omnia (especially if it's from the unlucky first series)

That's all indeed..nothing really problematic. Hope that note will help you

I was hoping someone could help me out. I received my new digitizer today. I went ahead and did the replacement and I went slow and deliberate and it actually went quite smoothly, thanks to all the helpful info here. However when I put everything back together the LCD screen was not working properly. When I turn on the phone all I see is a bunch of colored vertical lines on one half of the screen and half is solid white. It also seems dimmer around the edges. I went back and reseated all the connections several times with no luck.

Anyone have any thoughts as to what happened? Seems like the LCD somehow got damaged, but I was extremely careful and everything came apart and went back together exactly as it has been described. Could it be something else? I don't want to go through the time and effort to replace the LCD if it could be a different problem. Is there anything I could be overlooking? This is for a i910 BTW.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by rbled

Guest OrThaDoX
The smaller hole just to the left of the front camera is the light sensor used for automatic brightness of the LCD. You should notice on the circurty next to the front lens the actyal sensor. And your original should have it just look harder :)

Thanks man. I really had to look really hard. Seems like there is a BIG difference in the one I got from Ebay. The original hole seems smaller compared to the one I purchased.

Currently waiting for my invisible shield to arrive before doing some hands on..

Well, I guess no one has any thoughts about my issue, but I discovered something I found interesting. I installed MyMobiler and found that other than the screen not working, everything else is working perfectly (...."other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play, lol). I am really bummed too because playing around with it on my computer screen am am able to click on stuff more accurately that I ever remember it being when the screen was working!

Does anyone know how sensitive the lcd screens are? I was very careful when I took it apart and I don't recall ever getting to a spot where it seemed possible that I could break anything (though obviously I did). Just wondering if it is worth going through the cost and expense of replacing the lcd screen. Anyone ever done it before?

Guest niknabster

Amazing thats the difference between the old and new digitizer bought from ebay(Hong Kong seller) only £18 for screen and complete casing.

No more finger nail tapping for me its so sensitive, it even works using my elbow really really pleased with the outcome.

Changed in about an hour, had a mate help me as found from previous experience of doing an F480 that 2 pairs of hands makes it so much easier with the tiny fiddley cables.

Big Thanks to the Modaco forum members for there tips and advice.