How to mount a new Touch panel on OMNIA

Guest lantony

Guest Lac75
How hard is it to reconstruct the metal?

or just fabricate a new one.

Give a try to fabricate a new one, and post the result.

Guest DerEineDa

I just changed the digitizer of my omnia. The sensibility was awful before. I also had problems with the alignment of the digitizer: At some places the detection of the touches were a few millimeters off and I couldn't fix it with the screen alignment tool of WinMo.

Now I've changed the digitizer with a new one and both problems are fixed! The sensibility just rocks now!! No need for a stylus or finger nails anymore!

Thanks you for this awesome advice!

Guest choc_lover82

Hi lantony, thanks to you, I was also able to successfully mount the panel on my omnia. Looked at your youtube videos and was wondering, what ROM you have installed on your phone? If you can let me know, I would like to get something similar for me. Thanks.

Guest ecoboard

Another proud owner of a new touch panel. Out of this world improvement regarding sensitivity. Got myself a i910 verizon from cnn for my i900 and everything went fine, except for some playing with the lcd cable and the connector.

Guest ys2206

i need to buy new digitizer on ebay, could someone help me with desicion?

if someone has bought excellent digitizer, make me happy and write the saller :D

sorry for my english :rolleyes:

Guest ys2206
I bought from wholesaleandy: http://stores.ebay.com/NewAndyShop

They have worldwide shipping, but I guess it doesn't matter where you buy from. It seems they all ship the same digitizer from hongkong, and they are all good.

Thank you for your prompt reply, and just another question: have you had the problem with calibration?

Guest linkthe2nd

I took the plunge and did this swap, and boy do I regret not doing it sooner! I had to actually wait until the digitizer on my phone was half broken (Didn't register taps on top left of the screen properly) to do it!

I thought, honestly, how much better could it get? It's the same Samsung digitizer.... But NO! It is actually amazing. I decided to do a full case swap while I was at it, which led me to some problems, since the metal plates were missing, and the quality of the buttons included were just awful. BEWARE! I've gotten some clues on this thread about them AFTER I did the swap. I had quite awful reception/service for the past week because of it. Plain and simple, if you don't see any sort of metal on the back part of the new casing, I'd say stick with the old one. Saved me loads of trouble.

I also think it's slightly a gamble to see which of the digitizers on ebay are the new, good ones, or the old, crappy ones, since they don't really indicate anything of the sort.

I'm actually proud of myself for going for it too, considering how scared I was of even unscrewing the back part before. Takes a bit of care, but well worth the trouble!

Guest DerEineDa
Thank you for your prompt reply, and just another question: have you had the problem with calibration?

I had a calibartion problem before I changed the digitizer. Taps on the upper half of the display where about 1 cm off... Now it is perfect.

I also think it's slightly a gamble to see which of the digitizers on ebay are the new, good ones, or the old, crappy ones, since they don't really indicate anything of the sort.

I don't think it is that much of a gamble, as long as you buy from really big sellers. By now they shouldn't have any old digizizers left in stock, so they should be all new. But that's just my guess.

Edited by DerEineDa

Guest ecoboard

Just an advice for anyone who's going to change the digitizer... be really careful with the joystick/microphone board when disassembling the phone... it has some kind of adhesive tape behind it and it isn't that easy to pull it off as the pdf guide suggests. I broke my Mic trying to remove the board.

Guest N_M_S
Just an advice for anyone who's going to change the digitizer... be really careful with the joystick/microphone board when disassembling the phone... it has some kind of adhesive tape behind it and it isn't that easy to pull it off as the pdf guide suggests. I broke my Mic trying to remove the board.

good one...I agree.

although the 2nd time I changed the digitizer I didn't remove the them at all. I just took off the old digitizer while the buttons are in place.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest maf107ezk0

Hello, about to change my digitizer and I have my eyes set on 2 offers:

1st. http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-Touch-Screen-...=item25536e0e39

2nd. http://cgi.ebay.com.my/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

My phone isn`t in a good condition so changing the housing would be nice, but for 12 euros I don`t think the housing will be any good :( Anny experiance or advice on which to buy?

Edited by maf107ezk0

Guest GEE-DUP

I just ordered a new omni red housing and touch screen and hopfully after reading this thread i will be able to restore my omnia to it's former glory!

Guest bongdapogi

Im so thankful for this tutorial. I successfully replaced my Touchcreen Digitizer. Its actualy easier than i thought. im just sweating like im going to die if I make a mistake. hahaha. took me half an hour to disassemble and assemble the phone.

noe, the touch panels runs smoothnly and perfectly. Thank you again!

Guest GEE-DUP

Well My omnia touch screen & new omni-red Housing arrived today and after an hour of careful disassembly I managed to fit my new touchscreen no problems then 5 minutes to reassemble the new housing and I have what looks like a brand new red samsung omnia.

Thanks for the tutorials and advice in this thread it was an excellent resource now I have my beautiful RED omnia with improved touchscreen, nearly 20 months old and it looks like its just out the box.

Thanks again!

P.S. You don't have to remove the mouse-pad and two keys on the front.

I will post a pic later.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 2 Bunny
Lol, nope, you people who keep dreaming about multitouch should stop asking around here and go out buying an Iphone.

It simply can't be a capacitive screen because of :

1. It's a spare part, so it's meant to be a substitute for the original touch panel in case of damage or malfunction, even if it's an improved version.

2. Even if it was a capacitive surface, omnia doesn't have the drivers to handle it, and not even the hardware, I strongly believe that resistive and capacitive wouldn't share the same connector, not even the same coordinate translation technology.

3. Even if it was a capacitive surface (ignoring the first two motivations mentioned above) no multitouch anyway because actually WM doesn't support it, not even in the late 6.5 release, M$ said they will support Multitouch in WM7, wich si not around and will not for a time, so a capacitive screen would be a little early for the actual software (OS) capabilities.

Omnia will never be a true multitouch device, let you soul (and the omnia's one) rest.

Yeah, the Omnia's Resistive screen is single touch (and in some ways superior, but we're not even going to dive into that in this thread), but the HD2 does have a Capacitive screen, if I'm not mistaken. Not sure about multi touch.

Just thought I'd throw that in there. The hardware would not support it though, you are right about that.

- 2 Bunny

• 2 weeks later...
Guest maf107ezk0

Hello, just wanted to say thaht I also changed my digitizer and there realy is a huge difference :lol: Good luck to all and don't rush it, be patient :D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest saleiro

My digitizer arrived today and it's already working on my phone. It's not hard but it gave me a few cold sweats.

Some words of advise:

1 - Be careful when disconnecting the cables. LCD and digitizer are the hardest to figure out, but once you know what to do is easy. You need to unlock them clicking the little locks up.

2 - No need to take off the camera.

3 - No need to remove the keyboard.

Guest alex komo 13

where understand the new Touch panel for omnia or original(stock) ?

where i can find on ebay to buy one ?

can send me someone link on ebay the new touch panel?(buy)

thx

Guest klovar

I love the internet.

Thank you everyone for all your help.

A word of advice: common sense failed me during this procedure.

I was able to install the new digitizer without a hitch, but I was negligent enough to let dust get in between the LCD and the digitizer. Don't let this happen to you! :angry:

Guest PJ_Omnia

I'm considering to changing my digitizer but the original i have on is bronze (?) colored (which i like goes well with the silver frame), but most one i find on ebay are black. Anybody have a picture to share with black mounted? Why no bronze ones on ebay?

Guest pp56825

sorry for asking, is there any visable difference between old and new touch panel? as i understand new one is black, old was gray, right? can someone give me some photos of both. i don't want to buy old one :angry:

Guest maf107ezk0

Mine was the exact same colour as the old one. It is much softer though. Someone did the job of making a guide and I'm just posting another link for it - HERE IT IS (it has pictures and it made changing a lot easier).

P.S. as saleiro said, you don't need to remove the battery or the keyboard :angry:

Edited by maf107ezk0

Guest Eagletalon

Heey , my touchscreen is died so I've change it , but it doesn't do anything when I tap on it :angry: :D everything works just fine but the touchscreen , I've flashed the rom ( tought maybe it was the problem but no way the touchscreen remain insensible nothing happening ) can PLEASE anybody help me out? I don't know what to do , non have I the guaranty anymore , any help will be appriciate.

Thanks in advantage of your time .

Greetings

Joey

Edited by Eagletalon