Start HERE Before Flashing a cooked ROM (Verizon i910)

Guest necosino

Guest necosino
have to take bat out and follow rest of your instructions... installing BW v9 right now... cool blue start up BW .... yea ... done... its alive and pretty.... now the fun begins

yeh necosino... got message from laptop... something about connecting my device to usb2 to run faster... made my heart skip a bit.... but all ok so far so taking a break... break over.... back to fun...lol ;)

.... i be back... thanks

Glad to hear it! :D

( Another )

( successful )

( flash! )

-------------

.......O

........O ^__^

.........o (oo)_______

............(__).............)\/\

................||-------w |

................||...........||

Edited by necosino

Guest Doc007
Unfortunately, I would NOT restore your settings after flashing to the CC20/Custom ROMS. Doing so could cause the custom ROM's settings to be overwritten and has the potential to really mess things up.

Basically, after you flash any ROM (The CC20 or any custom ROM) it will be a blank slate, you'll have to reinstall your applications/games and then re-set everything the way you like it.

You can still restore your contacts / SMS / Emails though ;)

Just make sure you Uncheck the System part!

Thanks necosino for clearing that up. I have my calendar and contacts backed up and synced to Outlook. The main dilemma is the all programs I have on my Omnia in the "My Storage" section. I give you guys a lot of credit for for cooking, debugging, and reinstalling all the time. There are so many ROMs out there for the i910 and updates to the ROMs coming out everyday. It was much easier when Wozzers ROM was the only one to choose. These days I definately have the potential to become a "flashaholic". What would you recommend is the best way of reinstalling all my programs after each flash session? It sounds very tedious to reinstall all the programs only to find that one of the programs isnt playing nice with ROM. Since you guys are pretty good with fixing the bugs, reinstalling everything after I upgrade to the fixed ROM would be another PIA. To top it all off I am also a stickler when in comes to installing programs on my Omnia. I always soft reset before and after I install any program. I would go crazy. So how do you guys do it???

Thanks necosino for clearing that up. I have my calendar and contacts backed up and synced to Outlook. The main dilemma is the all programs I have on my Omnia in the "My Storage" section. I give you guys a lot of credit for for cooking, debugging, and reinstalling all the time. There are so many ROMs out there for the i910 and updates to the ROMs coming out everyday. It was much easier when Wozzers ROM was the only one to choose. These days I definately have the potential to become a "flashaholic". What would you recommend is the best way of reinstalling all my programs after each flash session? It sounds very tedious to reinstall all the programs only to find that one of the programs isnt playing nice with ROM. Since you guys are pretty good with fixing the bugs, reinstalling everything after I upgrade to the fixed ROM would be another PIA. To top it all off I am also a stickler when in comes to installing programs on my Omnia. I always soft reset before and after I install any program. I would go crazy. So how do you guys do it???

i'm on the same boat (or will be soon enough)... must be how ROM chefs get people hooked and end up a flashaholic... ;)

wonder what they use???

thanks in advance for any help...

Guest VeniceKurt
it was the added 8GB sd card - took it out and umdl started as stated... image updating right now... will update post as i go along.... thanks again!

I just started my Flash&Burn fun, and UMDL seems to work ok everything is detected, I unplugged/turned off/removed battery/removed 8GB stick then told UMDL to Detect and it found:

SCH-i910 ||(WM6.1)[DPRAM]

I used the image file REV10.CC20

I uploaded/installed the modem driver

But when I put my phone on the port it detects and then when I turn it on, I get the Omnia splash screen and

Do Not Disconnect.....

Entering Download Mode

And it seems to hang there, I've had it plugged in for more than an hour with no change.

I reset it and tried again with the same results

any ideas?

Windows XP Pro 2.0 USB

Guest necosino

Close out of UMDL. Turn off phone or Pull the battery if it won't turn off.

Reload UMDL, select the .img, don't touch anything else, and hit detect.

Plug phone back in

Put battery back in if you took it out.

Turn phone back on and see what happens.

Please copy and paste your UMDL log here, too.

Edited by necosino

Guest VeniceKurt
Close out of UMDL. Turn off phone or Pull the battery if it won't turn off.

Reload UMDL, select the .img, don't touch anything else, and hit detect.

Plug phone back in

Put battery back in if you took it out.

Turn phone back on and see what happens.

Please copy and paste your UMDL log here, too.

did the above a couple of times today. I noticed when I unplugged the USB the phone never left the Downloading message, however the UMDL program said

Download Failed!!!

and under

Download Progress

the Detect went to background RED

and the status went to

Checksum Failed!!

Indicating maybe something was happening, but after an hour each, I doubt anything happened, and the phone looks normal as well.

My Log is the same as each attempt;

Device name:6&22194588&0&1

EBoot version=01.61

Start downloading...

PDA-Starting updating EBOOT...

PDA-Downloading EBOOT...

I'm going to try it on a Vista machine now, I'll let you know if it goes any further

Thanks for your response

Kurt

Guest Puffkin123

I'm having a problem, this is the first time i've flashed an Omnia but i followed every step to install the leaked rom but I keep running into the same problem. I hard resetting my phone, followed the instructions to open the phone image file using UMDL to copy the image over to the phone. Everything seems to work fine until i get to the downloading of the PDA region #1(DISKIMAGE) it writes alot slower then the two previous files and always freezes sometime inbetween the writing. The first time it stopped at 2% and the Detect button below the device number turned red and it said "writing failed." I'm not able to boot the phone but im still able to write files to the phone, so I kept trying over and over to write the files but it always ends up stopping, sometimes at 30 percent, i've gotten up to 80 percent.. i'm just hoping one of these times it will finish and i'll be able to finsih writing the rom. Could anybody tell me the problem I could be experiencing. Until I get these files wrote to my phone, thers no way for me to use it.. Thanks

Guest necosino
I'm having a problem, this is the first time i've flashed an Omnia but i followed every step to install the leaked rom but I keep running into the same problem. I hard resetting my phone, followed the instructions to open the phone image file using UMDL to copy the image over to the phone. Everything seems to work fine until i get to the downloading of the PDA region #1(DISKIMAGE) it writes alot slower then the two previous files and always freezes sometime inbetween the writing. The first time it stopped at 2% and the Detect button below the device number turned red and it said "writing failed." I'm not able to boot the phone but im still able to write files to the phone, so I kept trying over and over to write the files but it always ends up stopping, sometimes at 30 percent, i've gotten up to 80 percent.. i'm just hoping one of these times it will finish and i'll be able to finsih writing the rom. Could anybody tell me the problem I could be experiencing. Until I get these files wrote to my phone, thers no way for me to use it.. Thanks

Disconnect your phone and take the battery out to let it cool down, then in the mean time re-download the ROM .img and then give it a shot after letting the phone cool for 10 mins or so..

Guest VeniceKurt
I agree, I'd try redownloading on the Vista machine. Haven't heard of this happening too often..

After downloading ActiveSync from Microsoft and having the PC see the Phone, I tried the process all over again and voila' ! new ROM :D

UMDL just finished with JOB DONE. LAUNCHED!

And the phone has reset it's self, asking me to tap the screen to setup your Windows Mobile-based device.

good deal!

Now to get a proper 'cooked' ROM to get rid of some of the crap I never use/don't need as well as finally have my GPS for reals ;)

Thanks!

Guest Puffkin123
Disconnect your phone and take the battery out to let it cool down, then in the mean time re-download the ROM .img and then give it a shot after letting the phone cool for 10 mins or so..

Thanks for the assistance, I downloaded a new rom .IMG file and trasnfered all programs to my xp laptop and was able to flash it.. I'm very relieved to not have a bricked samsung.. Thanks again for the help.

Guest Allan-A
In order to use any of the custom ROMs available right now for the i910 (Wozzer, Adryn, etc), you will need to flash the CC20 leaked ROM first, since they are all built off it.

You will need to install the drivers before trying to flash, otherwise UMDL will not be able to find your phone.

From XP: Install from the included verizon software CD that comes with the phone

From Vista/7: Just plug in normally (don't change activesync settings or try to use UMDL or anything). Windows will download and install the drivers automatically. (Note: After Windows downloads and installs the drivers, you will still need to disconnect your phone, turn it off, and disable the activesync USB settings before flashing!)

Make sure you are on a USB 2.0 Connection!!! If you flash on a USB1.0 or 1.1 connection, the flash has a high risk of failing and causing your phone to no longer turn on (called "Bricking" since you now have a paper weight that just cost you a couple hundred dollars!)

Ok, so now your drivers are installed, great! Go ahead and download both of these:

UMDL Software

Leaked i910 CC20 ROM

I would also recommend disabling any anti-virus software after downloading just to be safe that it doesn't interfere. We don't have any reports of antivirus softwares interfering, but always better to err on the safe side, I'd say.

Then follow the guide:

Source: TheIDoctor.org

No matter what I do I CANNOT get UMDL to detect my phone! I have Windows Vista and it downloaded and installed the Samsung USB Drivers automatically...supposedly. I later downloaded and installed the Samsung USB Drivers manually. I am assuming that like other problems, Vista is the culprit. Can you help me???

Guest VeniceKurt
No matter what I do I CANNOT get UMDL to detect my phone! I have Windows Vista and it downloaded and installed the Samsung USB Drivers automatically...supposedly. I later downloaded and installed the Samsung USB Drivers manually. I am assuming that like other problems, Vista is the culprit. Can you help me???

I had the same kind of problem with Vista. I ended up going to the Microsoft download site and downloading Activesync (Windows Media Center) and when I finished installing that, it finally saw my i910 then I was able to use the UMDL program.

Worked for me ;)

Guest Allan-A
I had the same kind of problem with Vista. I ended up going to the Microsoft download site and downloading Activesync (Windows Media Center) and when I finished installing that, it finally saw my i910 then I was able to use the UMDL program.

Worked for me ;)

I just got it to work...three cheers to necosino for his advice

Your phone needs to be COMPLETELY off before you hit detect.

Try this.

• Unplug the phone, and take the battery off
  • Hit detect in UMDL
  • Put battery back in phone DO NOT TURN IT ON
  • Plug it in
  • NOW Turn it on

Guest necosino

Three cheers for Allen-A for searching, reading, and finding the solution without asking the same question which has been asked 10+ times before! :D

You just made me a very happy guy ;) Needed a break from my final anyway..

Guest GHOST623

I think I followed the instructions properly, but just want to make sure. I did not lose any of my settings. Here is what it shows on my Omnia under the version:

ROM Version: S:i910.10 V.BJ28.2027

Modem Version: S:910.10 V.CC20

H/W Version: H:i910.10 V.Q

Is this correct? I see the CC20, but thought that would be under the ROM Version too?

** Never mind, i think I didnt do it correctly. The UMDL_OMNIA_V2.3 is a little different than the instructions in the samsung manual. I had turned off the EBOOT, PDA, CSC + Phone. Im reflashing now ;)

Edited by GHOST623

Guest necosino

Ya know, I never actually looked at the version after flashing, but I'd imaging that the ROM just didn't update for some reason, either you unchecked it in UMDL or the .img was corrupted and UMDL didn't even try, who knows...

I'd redownload and reflash just to be safe, but its up to you. If your GPS works then obviously the hardware was updated successfully..

Guest GHOST623
Ya know, I never actually looked at the version after flashing, but I'd imaging that the ROM just didn't update for some reason, either you unchecked it in UMDL or the .img was corrupted and UMDL didn't even try, who knows...

I'd redownload and reflash just to be safe, but its up to you. If your GPS works then obviously the hardware was updated successfully..

I reflashed, and everything is working as it should. Followed the previous instructions on getting GPS to work, and sure enough 5-10 minutes everything started working like it should. +1 another success! ;)

Rom Version: S:i910.10 V.CC20-20961

Modem version: S:i910.10 V.CC20

Guest Doc007

newb question:

The new ROMs that are out now which include the new Verizon GPS update; are they updated by an exe or do we have to use the same method used for older roms?

Also, now that the official update by Verizon is out. Does that mean if we brick the phone it can be saved?

Guest necosino
newb question:

The new ROMs that are out now which include the new Verizon GPS update; are they updated by an exe or do we have to use the same method used for older roms?

Also, now that the official update by Verizon is out. Does that mean if we brick the phone it can be saved?

They are updated by an .exe. Do not use the CC20 .img for the CF03 Custom ROMs. The custom ROMs, however, will still use UMDL.

Yes, if you bricked your phone during a flash, you will be able to take it to verizon and they will replace it, not "save" it though.

Guest TeMpTeK
They are updated by an .exe. Do not use the CC20 .img for the CF03 Custom ROMs. The custom ROMs, however, will still use UMDL.

I have the CC20 Rom that came out a few weeks ago.. Do I need to flash over to the CF03 official Rom thats been released in order for it to technically be covered under warranty? Is there anything new in the CF03 release?

Thanks

TeMpTeK