Samsung Omnia II

Guest dwallersv
Looks like us here in the US will have to wait a year or two... ;)
What's your source for that claim?

I've seen rumors otherwise -- that Verizon will be releasing it in the same timeframe as Europe.

Guest lohtus

Verizon may not have the iPhone 3G S, but the sequel to Samsung's popular iPhone pretender, the Omnia, will be coming to Verizon later this year, Samsung announced at an event on Monday in Manhattan. As for the exact timing of the Omnia 2's launch, that's still up in the air, as Samsung reps said that Verizon had a tight leash on what info could--and couldn't--release at this time.

source: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10264584-1.html

Guest shokka9
it took around 4-5 months for original leaked roms to appear and another month or so for custom roms to start appearing, but this is only because the tools where not available to cook roms. It took off rather quickly though once the chefs got hold of the tools. I would imagine that it would only take a couple of months for omnia 2 roms to appear or even quicker if the same tools can be used

Well when i got my Omnia in September last year (early in September also ;))

There was already a number of custom ROMs...there was a kitchen, leaked ROMs, lots of stuff.

I assume that when the Omnia II comes out, there will be similar leaked ROMs available from the usual suspects.

I also assume (from a chefs point of view) that the kitchen will be easily modified to fit to the newer device (if needed at all??).

This Omnia II looks like it will be a lot better than Omnia I, so custom ROMs wont be a necesitity that i think they are on the Omnia I.

Saying that, i cannot wait to cook for the Omnia II. What to remove (if anything??)....Also what to add?? This is gonna be fun.....if i get one :D

If not, HTC....here i come!

Guest Apo11on
There are some cosmetic changes on the latest picture. It has less bevel at the bottom buttons and similar shape on top and bottom parts. The cube is also different which is nicer i think.

Check it out : http://omnia.samsungmobile.com/omnia2/

somebody better save that webpage offline, because Samsung may pull the same stunt they did with our Omnia 1:

it currently has "full GPS" listed for Omnia 2, and it used to be like that on Omnia 1 page as well - until Verizon decided to cripple GPS in it

and disable access to GPS chip for every 3rd party app but their gay $10/month VZ Navigator. At which point, Samsung has changed the Omnia 1 specs on their website from "full GPS with A-GPS" to "hardware specs are subject to change without notice". That was done, after the device was already on the market...So, you better be careful under which side of the pillow you put your Omnia at night - wrong side and your hardware specs may change...

Guest blazingwolf
somebody better save that webpage offline, because Samsung may pull the same stunt they did with our Omnia 1:

it currently has "full GPS" listed for Omnia 2, and it used to be like that on Omnia 1 page as well - until Verizon decided to cripple GPS in it

and disable access to GPS chip for every 3rd party app but their gay $10/month VZ Navigator. At which point, Samsung has changed the Omnia 1 specs on their website from "full GPS with A-GPS" to "hardware specs are subject to change without notice". That was done, after the device was already on the market...So, you better be careful under which side of the pillow you put your Omnia at night - wrong side and your hardware specs may change...

That's typical fair with Verizon and their phones. I'm sure Samsung will change their page once VZW gets it because of the things they pull out of the devices. I will drop dead from amazement if it doesn't happen.

Guest GoldenSpartan

wow I didnt realize they were going to actually release it this soon to the US. I am SOOOOO excited. Kinda sad that I have to sell my old omnia tho ;)

I read a post that said it would be $200-350, I wonder if that would be with a two year agreement, if so I wonder what it would be just straight out $400-500 maybe??

Guest tedkord
wow I didnt realize they were going to actually release it this soon to the US. I am SOOOOO excited. Kinda sad that I have to sell my old omnia tho ;)

I read a post that said it would be $200-350, I wonder if that would be with a two year agreement, if so I wonder what it would be just straight out $400-500 maybe??

Well, I think the i910 is currently going for $560 unsubsidized, so I would think no less than that. Probably more initially, as all signs point to it being Verizon's best performing smartphone. Maybe competing with an HTC Whitestone eventually.

Edited by tedkord

Guest cuzzinz
Well, I think the i910 is currently going for $560 unsubsidized, so I would think no less than that. Probably more initially, as all signs point to it being Verizon's best performing smartphone. Maybe competing with an HTC Whitestone eventually.

i got my omnia the day before release for 430.... where did you get the $560 price?

Guest tedkord
i got my omnia the day before release for 430.... where did you get the $560 price?

Verizon's website. Right before I typed it. That's not to say better prices can't be found.

Guest tedkord
Crap, and my new every two pricing isn't available until September!!! >.<

lol...

Mine isn't until October...of 2010. My NE2 came up last Dec., and I was told it expired after 6 months. Then they doubled the NE2 discount to $100. Then they dropped the web price of the Omnia to $100 after instant rebate. Then I got my Omnia free, and stopped waiting for the HTC Whitestone W.The point is, I am gonna be paying retail for the Omnia II.

Guest necosino
Mine isn't until October...of 2010. My NE2 came up last Dec., and I was told it expired after 6 months. Then they doubled the NE2 discount to $100. Then they dropped the web price of the Omnia to $100 after instant rebate. Then I got my Omnia free, and stopped waiting for the HTC Whitestone W.The point is, I am gonna be paying retail for the Omnia II.

Ouch.. That's why I have 2 lines on my plan, mine and my mom's. Technically I'll be using HER NE2 and then doing a little switcharoo ;)

"You could always whore yourself out to a 10 fat chicks for $50, or one REALLY fat chick for $500! Fat girls need love too.. but they have to pay!" -Quagmire

Guest GoldenSpartan

Well I guess I could sell my psp, xbox 360, my omnia, dang sounds like I still wont have enough lmao j/k gonna have to save some % of my paychecks until it comes out. Wish we knew an exact date.

Guest Apo11on
Well I guess I could sell my psp, xbox 360, my omnia, dang sounds like I still wont have enough lmao j/k gonna have to save some % of my paychecks until it comes out. Wish we knew an exact date.

if you don't have blood deseases and you got healthy kidneys or you don't mind doing sexual favors for elderly ladies - you still got options

Guest FerdiBorbon

Yeah Baby!..shipped to where ;) ?? I wonder when it will hit Australia...i might have to order from O/S if its gonna take too long to get here/

Guest blazingwolf
"Omnia II will be offered at a suggested retail price of 549 euro"

549 euro = 764 us

Thats really steep, but before that they say "they will cost less than it was expected."

;) :D :)

That's the GSM version. They are usually more expensive than the CDMA version. I hope this remains true for this phone.

Guest dwallersv

Hmmm...

I wonder if the front camera will be retained for the Verizon CDMA version. LTE is just around the corner (next year or 2011), Verizon is already testing it; LTE supports simultaneous voice and data just like UTMS, so that front camera becomes useful for video calls.

It seems to me that it would certainly be cheaper for Samsung to leave it in the design, and reduce the hardware differences to basically the radio chipset. Heck, there are chipsets out there right now that do both GSM and CDMA anyway, so there really isn't any reason to have a separate design, production line, etc. at all. Just make a single phone that can be provisioned in either network.

Guest blazingwolf
Hmmm...

I wonder if the front camera will be retained for the Verizon CDMA version. LTE is just around the corner (next year or 2011), Verizon is already testing it; LTE supports simultaneous voice and data just like UTMS, so that front camera becomes useful for video calls.

It seems to me that it would certainly be cheaper for Samsung to leave it in the design, and reduce the hardware differences to basically the radio chipset. Heck, there are chipsets out there right now that do both GSM and CDMA anyway, so there really isn't any reason to have a separate design, production line, etc. at all. Just make a single phone that can be provisioned in either network.

I'm betting no. Verizon isn't close enough to LTE yet to leave it in.

Guest tedkord
"Omnia II will be offered at a suggested retail price of 549 euro"

549 euro = 764 us

Thats really steep, but before that they say "they will cost less than it was expected."

;) :D :)

Don't forget, that european price includes the EU vat, so the actual handset price would be about 85% of that.

Guest cmalone

Looks like HTC is having to step-up its game. will now come with 3.5 headphone and mini usb connector-JUST LIKE Omnia 2 will have.