no touch pad on the omnia II?

Guest MachinateTDK

• 4 weeks later...

I totally agree with you guys...

No dpad and hw keys = no luck with good old games

Moreover, bt gamepad (I have an MSI) generally suck..

no good control and dont work in all games.

Whatsmore, if you dont have multitouch on screen,

again you cant control the game properly!

• 11 months later...

You realy need the dpad for selecting- not the same as scrolling. Look at a long list of e-mails for example- it's hard to select without activating- that's what the dpad is good for.

Anyhow, I made a simple sip for a soft dpad- see attachment.

It works best if you can program a hard button to toggle between it and your favorite sip. This lets you bring up the keyboard or dpad sip even on screens without an input icon. (see my text file in the zip).

The arrow buttons repeat if held.

The cneter button is "enter/return" but if you slide off up/down/left/right) before releasing it acts like the arrow keys- just like omnia 1 optical dpad.

dpadUpdate.zip

post-476211-1284565824_thumb.jpg

Edited by ji3m

You realy need the dpad for selecting- not the same as scrolling. Look at a long list of e-mails for example- it's hard to select without activating- that's what the dpad is good for.

It works best if you can program a hard button to toggle between it and your favorite sip. This lets you bring up the keyboard or dpad sip even on screens without an input icon. (see my text file in the zip).

The cneter button is "enter/return" but if you slide off up/down/left/right) before releasing it acts like the arrow keys- just like omnia 1 optical dpad.

Works perfectly.. the real solution to dpad lack.. thank you very much for sharing.

FingerKeyboard2 is nice keyboard that has arrow keys and more, why don't you guys give it a try ?

Yes, Fingerkeyboard2 is a very good option, but I prefer use the Samsung 12 keypad because my big and fat thumb... and with this dpad sip, I have good combination...

Guest sinancetinkaya
Yes, Fingerkeyboard2 is a very good option, but I prefer use the Samsung 12 keypad because my big and fat thumb... and with this dpad sip, I have good combination...

umm, did you ever get such error message when you make a call "The fingers you have used to dial are too fat. To obtain a special dialing wand, please mash the keypad with your palm now." ? :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DtbPOXFk00

Edited by sinancetinkaya

Guest dorinvaida

Very nice application. How to asociate it with a key ?

install mortscript and use the script that is in the rar file

You also need to do:

1. download the sipswitch.exe from xda, copy it into \program files\sipswitch\

2. Manually create a txt file, named "dpadsip.txt" and write the name of your keyboard (example : "Samsung Keypad"). Save this file in the same folder of togsip1.mscr

3. If you don't have installed swype, you have to modify the mortscript togsip1.mscr to choose your preffered keyboard (example : "Samsung Keypad").

Guest wakakakaka
You also need to do:

2. Manually create a txt file, named "dpadsip.txt" and write the name of your keyboard (example : "Samsung Keypad"). Save this file in the same folder of togsip1.mscr

3. If you don't have installed swype, you have to modify the mortscript togsip1.mscr to choose your preffered keyboard (example : "Samsung Keypad").

my solution is vdpad, also works great: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=658673

Very nice application. How to asociate it with a key ?

To be complete, on my omnia 2 I have installed SPB shell and HandySwitcher

The center button (#1) is useless as configured since there is no need for the flat 5-page start menu-

So i reprogrammed the buttons as follows:

Button1 - HandySwitcher[ActivateNext] --- this switches to next running app

Button1Hold - HandySwitcher[Ok-Close] --- this kills the current task

Button2 - togsip1 --- the mortscript to toggle between dpad sip and other keyboard

when pressed it brings up a sip on ANY screen

Button2Hold <rotate screen> --- good for apps which don't auto-rotate

You can still access the silly 5 page start menu by pressing the microsoft icon on to toolbar.

You also need to do:

Actually you should modify "togsip1.mscr" to have the name of your chosen sip and dpad.

The file called "dpadsip.txt" is just a flag-file written by the mortscript to keep track of the toogle state- so don't edit it.

So dont do step 2 above but just modify togsip1.mscr

• 2 weeks later...
I agree!!!! No touch pad/joystick is bad for wimo phones. Has anyone tried to make a call with without it. It's too cumbersome. Yes can use the dialpad to filter names but sometime you still need to scroll. How about moving to another number within the same contact i.e. mobile to home? Now whenever I make a call there are so many steps.

The browsing experiece was also not good without the touchpad/joystick. Sometimes finger is too cumbersome for combo boxes and links that are too close together.

Bring back the touchpad/joystick instead of the useless cube button!

You can always use a button customization and make center button short press scroll down and long press scroll up :lol: