22/Jan - Stock ROMs + radios in update.zip format for GSM Hero

Guest PaulOBrien

@Paul

Many thanks for all you hard work. I'm new here but have been on xda dev for a couple of years. I downloaded your Hero 3.1 Rom and installed it as per instructions and everything is working brilliant.

I used to have an Orange SPV (HTC Hermes) on which I flashed several different ROM's (from xda Developer). I've had a T-Mobile G2 Touch (HTC Hero) since November last year but have only just plucked up the courage to flash it.

Your advice is to update the radio. I assume that it's 63.18.55.06EU_6.35.06.18 that I need for the UK and I further assume that I save it to the SD card as 'update.zip' and just flash it the same way that I did with the ROM.

Buy way of thanks I have taken a MoDaCo Plus subscription. All the infor on this site has got to be worth £30.

Transaction ID: 9XD66870MR870100S 12/Feb/2010

regards

ITDude (Geoff)

All sounds OK to me. Welcome to the forum :D

Guest Lapointe85
Yes! you can but only the Radio not the ROM, I'll suggest you if you aren't having any problems with the current Radio, then it is better that you stick to the current Radio, because many people face some problems after updating there Radio on a Sim Locked phone.

My phone is Unbranded and unlocked with modaco custom rom 2.9core , SSH

Im planning to update to the lastest rom, but i wanted to know if i should also update the radio, i have a lot of issue with my 3g network, and i was hoping to fix it with radio update.

Guest Dr. dre
My phone is Unbranded and unlocked with modaco custom rom 2.9core , SSH

Im planning to update to the lastest rom, but i wanted to know if i should also update the radio, i have a lot of issue with my 3g network, and i was hoping to fix it with radio update.

If it's unlocked, then you can go ahead and install MCR 3.1 and also the latest Radio ROM. For Radio the process is the same as update.zip

Guest Rashidi Zin

Hi Paul.

I have just updated to the latest Radio. However the latest ROM revision for mine is not available, which I think the reason I can't use Modaco's latest update. The revision is 2.73.728.5 144733.

Which Nandroid file should I hand to you? Sorry for the question, I'm a total newbie.

Thanks in advanced.

Hi Paul.

I have just updated to the latest Radio. However the latest ROM revision for mine is not available, which I think the reason I can't use Modaco's latest update. The revision is 2.73.728.5 144733.

Which Nandroid file should I hand to you? Sorry for the question, I'm a total newbie.

Thanks in advanced.

the last digit is the rom version, in your case .5. the last generic rom is .66, the last at all is .73.

Hey Guys! Got a Question, would be very grateful for some answers!

Here goes the story. I've purchased a HTC hero off a buy and sell form here in Ireland. (Republic)

I was told it was originally locked to Meteor. The phone itself has no branding and it seems to have a generic rom on it. I see no signs that it has a firmware specific to Meteor. The build number on the phone is: "2.73.405.66 CL#83173 release-keys"

Not exactly sure, but it seems very new, i've got no complaints on the phone. Now I've gone ahead and popped in my "3 Ireland" sim card. It works, I was able to get 3g working. Things look stable enough. I seem to get a lot of 404 errors with the 3 internet. Not sure why, didn't happen on my old 6700c. Now here's the problem. I NEED skype. It's why I'm with 3. Does the 3 firmware posted here come with skype? If I flash to that firmware, will I then be able to download skype or have skype preinstalled? HTC hero is not supported by 3 ireland. I can't download skype from My3. I get an error saying my phone isn't supported. I know skype is made by iskoot for 3. I know that 3uk has the hero, and skype works and supposedly comes with the phone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. What's the best way to get this working?

Guest Dr. dre
Hey Guys! Got a Question, would be very grateful for some answers!

Here goes the story. I've purchased a HTC hero off a buy and sell form here in Ireland. (Republic)

I was told it was originally locked to Meteor. The phone itself has no branding and it seems to have a generic rom on it. I see no signs that it has a firmware specific to Meteor. The build number on the phone is: "2.73.405.66 CL#83173 release-keys"

Not exactly sure, but it seems very new, i've got no complaints on the phone. Now I've gone ahead and popped in my "3 Ireland" sim card. It works, I was able to get 3g working. Things look stable enough. I seem to get a lot of 404 errors with the 3 internet. Not sure why, didn't happen on my old 6700c. Now here's the problem. I NEED skype. It's why I'm with 3. Does the 3 firmware posted here come with skype? If I flash to that firmware, will I then be able to download skype or have skype preinstalled? HTC hero is not supported by 3 ireland. I can't download skype from My3. I get an error saying my phone isn't supported. I know skype is made by iskoot for 3. I know that 3uk has the hero, and skype works and supposedly comes with the phone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. What's the best way to get this working?

First of all flashing to the 3 ROM here you won't get Skype on that preinstalled all you have to do is go to the market and download Skype if you don't get it there you can search the net for Skype and you will find it for Android, I personally had Skype before but after a while I removed it.

Guest imachine

Hello, HTC Hero GSM version here, about a month old, bought in Poland.

No sim lock etc.

When I go to htc.com and choose to download a firmware, the newest one they propose for my S/N is 2.73.405.5.

That's okay tho, I can live with the older rom. My radio version is 63.18.55.06EU_6.35.06.18

I'd like to update to the newest radio. I downloaded update-hero-radio-63.18.55.06JU_6.35.09.26-signed.zip as suggested here.

I put the file as update.zip onto the root of the sdcard.

I rebooted my phone, holding the [HOME] key and [HANG-UP] key.

The phone shows the 'HERO' logo and after a few seconds a white triangle with a yellow exclamation mark next to a phone.

What now?

I don't want to root it, just use the signed update.zip

Guest Dr. dre
Hello, HTC Hero GSM version here, about a month old, bought in Poland.

No sim lock etc.

When I go to htc.com and choose to download a firmware, the newest one they propose for my S/N is 2.73.405.5.

That's okay tho, I can live with the older rom. My radio version is 63.18.55.06EU_6.35.06.18

I'd like to update to the newest radio. I downloaded update-hero-radio-63.18.55.06JU_6.35.09.26-signed.zip as suggested here.

I put the file as update.zip onto the root of the sdcard.

I rebooted my phone, holding the [HOME] key and [HANG-UP] key.

The phone shows the 'HERO' logo and after a few seconds a white triangle with a yellow exclamation mark next to a phone.

What now?

I don't want to root it, just use the signed update.zip

Have you flashed custom recovery before, if you haven't flashed just follow the flashrec method because your ROM is old and you will be able to use the flashrec method and flash the latest custom recovery Amon Ra

Here is the link for flashrec method -

theunlockr.com/2009/08/27/how-to-root-your-htc-hero-in-one-click/

You will also get the custom recovery from here.

Guest imachine
Have you flashed custom recovery before, if you haven't flashed just follow the flashrec method because your ROM is old and you will be able to use the flashrec method and flash the latest custom recovery Amon Ra

Here is the link for flashrec method -

You will also get the custom recovery from here.

Well like I wrote above I do not wish to root my device.

Also I googled some more and finally found the most important part of the entire update process, which was failed to be mentioned here, that is:

To enter the Android system recovery utility, one must:

1) Shut down Hero

2) Press and hold [HOME] and [HANGUP]

3) When Triangle and phone logo appears, release the buttons.

4) Press [HOME] and while holding it, press [HANGUP]

Step 3 and 4 are absolutely crucial!

Now you have a menu popped up and can choose:

1) reboot system now

2) apply sdcard:update.zip

3) wipe data/factory reset

Lovely as it is, the update.zip files from this thread DO NOT work.

E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command

-- Install from sdcard...

Finding update package...

Opening update package...

Verifying update package...

E:No signature (5 files)

E:Verification failed

Installation aborted.

I read that these are supposed to be official HTC Signed update files, what's going on?

Also, to quit the Android system recovery utility, one can press and hold [HOME] and press [bACK] key. The phone then reboots (before I came across this, I just removed the battery, not the best solution :D)

Edited by imachine

Guest Dr. dre
Well like I wrote above I do not wish to root my device.

Also I googled some more and finally found the most important part of the entire update process, which was failed to be mentioned here, that is:

To enter the Android system recovery utility, one must:

1) Shut down Hero

2) Press and hold [HOME] and [HANGUP]

3) When Triangle and phone logo appears, release the buttons.

4) Press [HOME] and while holding it, press [HANGUP]

Step 3 and 4 are absolutely crucial!

Now you have a menu popped up and can choose:

1) reboot system now

2) apply sdcard:update.zip

3) wipe data/factory reset

Lovely as it is, the update.zip files from this thread DO NOT work.

E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command

-- Install from sdcard...

Finding update package...

Opening update package...

Verifying update package...

E:No signature (5 files)

E:Verification failed

Installation aborted.

I read that these are supposed to be official HTC Signed update files, what's going on?

Also, to quit the Android system recovery utility, one can press and hold [HOME] and press [bACK] key. The phone then reboots (before I came across this, I just removed the battery, not the best solution :D)

Look there is no problem with the Radio ROM because I myself is using it and it flashed on my device without a problem. So may be it's a problem with the Android recovery image.

Guest imachine
Look there is no problem with the Radio ROM because I myself is using it and it flashed on my device without a problem. So may be it's a problem with the Android recovery image.

Well I don't know then what's going on then, the hero device is stock so it should work flawless I reckon.

I guess I'll just wait for Paul to get back and maybe shed some light on this.

Well I don't know then what's going on then, the hero device is stock so it should work flawless I reckon.

I guess I'll just wait for Paul to get back and maybe shed some light on this.

wouldn't hold my breath for that...

you need to install the custom recovery image, because update.zips are made to be used with it. one of the methods to do that is to root your phone, then you can install it with the help of an app. check the stickied link about installing the custom recovery, it does this without rooting your rom. since you haven't told us what version your rom is now i have to guess, but probably it is old enough. if it is too new it just won't work, nothing to lose there.

Guest Dr. dre
wouldn't hold my breath for that...

you need to install the custom recovery image, because update.zips are made to be used with it. one of the methods to do that is to root your phone, then you can install it with the help of an app. check the stickied link about installing the custom recovery, it does this without rooting your rom. since you haven't told us what version your rom is now i have to guess, but probably it is old enough. if it is too new it just won't work, nothing to lose there.

This guy over doesn't want to root his phone not even the recovery image.

Guest imachine

Well, its not so much that I don't want to root it, rather, I read here that it is possible to use the update.zip format for stock upgrades using the stock device software that came with it, and I firmly believe doing something like rooting just for the sake of it in this case would be a waste of time and resources :D also I want to mod as little as possible since I'm probably getting rid of the hero as soon as the legend comes out and the next owner might look down on the rooting business.

On top of that I did in no way mean to be rude or offensive saying it doesn't work, of course I meant it doesn't work in this particular situation, which leaves me even more puzzled since I've seen pretty much nothing but positive feedback over here regarding the ROMs and radios.

From my understanding anything that is officially signed should work without rooting. In order to put the Amon ra recovery image 1.5.2, I need to have the device rooted since I get an error when pushing stuff through adb when I put the device in fastboot-usb mode.

Btw, I used http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero...on-your-device/ to put the Amon Ra recovery loader. It connects through adb once I enable usb-debugging, I can do the ./adb-linux shell reboot bootloader, the phone reboots into the bootloader, but when I issue the command ./fastboot-linux boot recovery-RA-hero-v1.5.2.img it spits out an error: downloading 'boot.img'... FAILED (remote: not allow)

Which from what I read means my phone is not rooted. But seeing how I'm trying to root the device, having it not rooted and failing because of that sort of doesn't make any sense to me.

Currently I understand that these ROMs here aren't properly signed and require a hacked recovery image from Amon ra.

Is that correct cuz if it isn't I'd love to know what it is that I'm doing wrong.

Cheers

Edited by imachine

Guest Dr. dre
Well, its not so much that I don't want to root it, rather, I read here that it is possible to use the update.zip format for stock upgrades using the stock device software that came with it, and I firmly believe doing something like rooting just for the sake of it in this case would be a waste of time and resources :D also I want to mod as little as possible since I'm probably getting rid of the hero as soon as the legend comes out and the next owner might look down on the rooting business.

On top of that I did in no way mean to be rude or offensive saying it doesn't work, of course I meant it doesn't work in this particular situation, which leaves me even more puzzled since I've seen pretty much nothing but positive feedback over here regarding the ROMs and radios.

From my understanding anything that is officially signed should work without rooting. In order to put the Amon ra recovery image 1.5.2, I need to have the device rooted since I get an error when pushing stuff through adb when I put the device in fastboot-usb mode.

Currently I understand that these ROMs here aren't properly signed and require a hacked recovery image from Amon ra.

Is that correct cuz if it isn't I'd love to know what it is that I'm doing wrong.

Cheers

Even we are understanding your problem but the ROM's here are signed in way so that they work on a custom recovery and not on an Android recovery image.

Guest imachine

Okay, cheers, rooted the phone properly with Flashrec and Amon Ra's 1.5.2

Went smoothly also I found out the official ROMs contain the whole thing, including the recovery loader, so I need not worry once 2.1 comes out officially, or so I currently believe :lol:

Gonn bump the radio now...

Well the newest radio looks quite promising :D

It seems turning GPS on and off seems slightly faster, but the lock-on seems to take significantly longer. I will too test by walking outside, currently just holding the device outside a window.

That seemed to only be the first time, it took a while, but then I installed GPS Status (probably unrelated) and after some time it got a lock on! :D And the next locks seem to be significantly faster as well :lol:) I can say it's almost instant. Using A-GPS as well.

The WIFI signal seems to have fallen somewhat, bluetooth works, no sending recieving tested yet, so will post updates.

Also, I'm not so sure about battery life, but it doesn't seem to be peachy - however I will test some more and we'll see then if I can come up with valuable data. Speech in 3G works smooth and my mate (nexus one) confirms the sound's crystal clear, I have somewhat bad reception in my house, so that's a good sign I guess. I got one more bar too, although obviously that is no real measurement.

Overall, great job, just the "signed" business is confusing - officially signed does not equal Paul signed, and that's something that should imo be said in the first post, loud and clear :D

Edited by imachine

Guest Dr. dre
Okay, cheers, rooted the phone properly with Flashrec and Amon Ra's 1.5.2

Went smoothly also I found out the official ROMs contain the whole thing, including the recovery loader, so I need not worry once 2.1 comes out officially, or so I currently believe :lol:

Gonn bump the radio now...

Well the newest radio looks quite promising :D

It seems turning GPS on and off seems slightly faster, but the lock-on seems to take significantly longer. I will too test by walking outside, currently just holding the device outside a window.

That seemed to only be the first time, it took a while, but then I installed GPS Status (probably unrelated) and after some time it got a lock on! :D And the next locks seem to be significantly faster as well :lol:) I can say it's almost instant. Using A-GPS as well.

The WIFI signal seems to have fallen somewhat, bluetooth works, no sending recieving tested yet, so will post updates.

Also, I'm not so sure about battery life, but it doesn't seem to be peachy - however I will test some more and we'll see then if I can come up with valuable data. Speech in 3G works smooth and my mate (nexus one) confirms the sound's crystal clear, I have somewhat bad reception in my house, so that's a good sign I guess. I got one more bar too, although obviously that is no real measurement.

Overall, great job, just the "signed" business is confusing - officially signed does not equal Paul signed, and that's something that should imo be said in the first post, loud and clear :D

It would all work fine after sometime because, even I'm using the same Radio and it works fine.

Yes! Whenever you feel like reverting back to the official HTC, all you need to do is just install the official 2.1 RUU and everything from SPL to the firmware would be changed to the official HTC ROM.

Guest fozzieb
Hello all.

I have downloaded update-hero-t-mobile-2.73.110.26-rooted-signed.zip file.

I have unzipped it, so how can i install this?

you don't unzip it

rename it update.zip, put it in root of sd card and then flash it from the recovery boot

Guest giorgit
you don't unzip it

rename it update.zip, put it in root of sd card and then flash it from the recovery boot

Thank you.

Can you give me a link for the manual to do "flash from the recovery boot".

I do not know how to do it...

Guest Dr. dre
Thank you.

Can you give me a link for the manual to do "flash from the recovery boot".

I do not know how to do it...

Do you mean the ADB way or the recovery image.

Guest giorgit
Do you mean the ADB way or the recovery image.

It doesd no mater...

I need just some way which will work...

2 days i am trying to root my t-mobile htc and no result.

everything that i tried had no result...

Guest descenpet

do you have custom recovery image installed on your hero? if you are still on stock rom, what is your build number? what have you already tried in that 2 days?

Guest Dr. dre
It doesd no mater...

I need just some way which will work...

2 days i am trying to root my t-mobile htc and no result.

everything that i tried had no result...

Dude first of all flash a custom recovery image, I assume that you downloaded the 2.73.110.26 ROM this means that you are still on the old 1.76 ROM, If that's the case go here :-

Or else if you have a version above the 1.76 ROM then the only way to flash custom recovery is this :-

theunlockr.com/2009/10/18/how-to-downgrade-your-htc-hero-so-it-can-be-rooted/

and yes to flash a ROM in update.zip in format it is necessary to flash custom recovery first.