22/Jan - Stock ROMs + radios in update.zip format for GSM Hero

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest justbabu
1) I believe I have installed the 2.2 enhanced update for my Hero, based on my software info below, is it worth now updating to 2.3 enhanced?

2) I do not have the latest radio. How do I install this, and will it wipe my phone like the 2.2 ROM update did? Or is a radio install different?

I found 2.2 to be quicker than 2.3.

You update the radio using the same method. Download the relevant zipped radio - I'm using 63.18.55.06EU_6.35.06.18. Load to the root of the sd card, rename to update.zip and apply using recovery as you did with the ROM.

Guest IakobosJ
hi could you post the new t-mobile radio in the update.zip format ? thanks

Yeah would love this too :) Appears to be different to the ones posted here.

Guest IZIIZI

has the latest radio helped anyones signal?

mines a bit poo.

EDIT: 2.5 is much faster for me. Yet to see about signal but looks go so far. Think i am getting 3/4 bars at work and i used to get 2/4...

Edited by IZIIZI

Guest vpstriderz
Added T-Mobile UK 2.73.110.26 unrooted version and HTC generic 2.73.405.38 rooted and unrooted versions.

P

installed HTC generic 2.73.405.38 really fast and smooth, waiting patiently for for app2sd feature in this new build

Thanks Paul

Guest Chivalryy

just checking... the new rooted version of the T-mobile ROM... is it exactly the same as the official t-mobile rom ... except obviously its rooted? i mean does it come with the new radio and everything like the official Rom does? Cheers paul!

Guest justbabu
just checking... the new rooted version of the T-mobile ROM... is it exactly the same as the official t-mobile rom ... except obviously its rooted? i mean does it come with the new radio and everything like the official Rom does? Cheers paul!

No, just the ROM. You need to update the radio separately.

I was thinking that last 2 sets of numbers HTC generic 2.73.405.38 (405.35) are operator dependent ? so this build is actually update from 2.73.405.5 ?

(however i cant find 2.73.405.38 anywhere on HTC website)

I am really confused :-/

HTC Generic 2.73.405.38 - download

T-Mobile UK 2.73.110.26 - download

I'm a bit confused with this. I thought that these new versions will prevent a phone from being rooted. Have these two been specially modified to prevent this from happening, and with root access thrown in as well?

Edited by xp67

Guest Stea1thmode

Hi guys,

I ve been switching back and forth from radios; 6.35.06.18 and 6.35.07.08 usings Paul's latest ROM v2.5.1

In this brief time I have noticed that ##6.35.07.08 out performs 6.35.06.18 in terms of battery life and WIFI but is slightly poo on 3.5G reception. Can anyone else confirm this? anyway I've decided to revert back to the former.

I'm on TMobile UK and not too sure how this is going to effect the overal performance of the phone but prefer to have better reception.

cheers :)

Guest licenced
I ve been switching back and forth from radios; 6.35.06.18 and 6.35.07.08 usings Paul's latest ROM v2.5.1

In this brief time I have noticed that ##6.35.07.08 out performs 6.35.06.18 in terms of battery life and WIFI but is slightly poo on 3.5G reception. Can anyone else confirm this? anyway I've decided to revert back to the former.

I have switched back too - I noticed that GPS reception was worse with the newer version, as in it would never connect if behind a window, whereas the older version connects almost instantly. Outside it was fine, but that doesn't help in a car.

Guest keef319

I've gone right back to the 1st radio now.

I found that (far too often), when I was trying to surf it would seem to hang, with the little up arrow next to 3G or H. Wouldn't do a thing until I switched off the connection (normally I'd do that by going into Airplane Mode), then start it again. Then it'd be fine for a few mins before it stuck again.

Not having any probs like that now with the first radio...

Shame cos I'd like better reception and longer batery life!!

Guest MercuryStar

Note that 2.73.751.4 is not simply 2.73.405.5 + Chinese support.

Other differences I've noticed:

- When booting, it briefly shows a strange yellow and red logo in addition to the normal HTC and Hero logos.

- It has no option for a "Compact QWERTY" or "Phone keypad" keyboard. Instead, in addition to regular QWERTY, it has options for different types of Chinese text input.

- It allows choosing from a wider list of locales. 2.73.405.5 only allows a choice between English (United Kingdom) and English (Ireland)

- Comes with additional apps: "AK Notepad", "Java", "KKBOX", "Plurk"

- All home screens start off blank (free of widgets) instead of the default HTC set

- Did not do the first run wizard when I first started it (where it asks for gmail, facebook accounts, etc).

Edited: I'd thought there was a difference in the clock animations on the home screen, there isn't.

Edited by MercuryStar

Guest megaoptimus
I have switched back too - I noticed that GPS reception was worse with the newer version, as in it would never connect if behind a window, whereas the older version connects almost instantly. Outside it was fine, but that doesn't help in a car.

I updated the radio to 63.18.55.06FU_6.35.07.08 from 63.18.55.06EU_6.35.06.18 and have found that GPS does not function any longer. So I thought maybe the radio should go with this latest ROM but that didn't help either. Rmaps and googlemaps (mylocation) just refuses to function. So I flashed back to the previous radio and used my nandroid image but I still don't have working gps now, regardless of the app I use. And I did confirm gps is enabled and I can see the app accessing the gps via the notification bar, and I confirmed in the settings that I am flashed to previous radio and rom. I dunno what to do about it and if I get it fixed I"m never touching rom or radio updates again unless it is for good reason.

ps: Should I try going back even farther as far as radio flashes? Is there something I'm missing about flashing the radio? I mean, it is really freakin easy using the custom boot loader and I don't see how anyone can screw it up.

I updated the radio to 63.18.55.06FU_6.35.07.08 from 63.18.55.06EU_6.35.06.18 and have found that GPS does not function any longer. So I thought maybe the radio should go with this latest ROM but that didn't help either. Rmaps and googlemaps (mylocation) just refuses to function. So I flashed back to the previous radio and used my nandroid image but I still don't have working gps now, regardless of the app I use. And I did confirm gps is enabled and I can see the app accessing the gps via the notification bar, and I confirmed in the settings that I am flashed to previous radio and rom. I dunno what to do about it and if I get it fixed I"m never touching rom or radio updates again unless it is for good reason.

ps: Should I try going back even farther as far as radio flashes? Is there something I'm missing about flashing the radio? I mean, it is really freakin easy using the custom boot loader and I don't see how anyone can screw it up.

did you try to leave it in a spot where gps reception is available for like, one hour? i think after wipe/flash/radio upgrade the gps almanach is gone, depending on satellite constellations and reception it can take a while for the gps to determine its position. although that usually shouldn't take longer than a few minutes, but it's worth a try...

Guest hEI@android

Sorry, I would like to ask about the kkbox widget (in Taiwan rom), I just found the kkbox apk inside the 2.73.751, but not the widget, can someone post the widget here please? Sorry my English is not good, forgive please.