SPB Mobile Shell Version 3.5 Launched

Guest TheBishop
TheBishop, well, I already wrote just one post above yours, why, whatever their reply was, it probably wasn't nonsense at all.

For a casual user, like you, all you need to know is that your phone has some "magic" piece, a 3D accelerator, which is probably activated by a snap of fingers and some magic words.

Well, it's nothing like that, in fact. Making any existing OpenGL ES 1.0 application work on Omnia 2 (which supports only OpenGL ES 2.0) requires total revision (or even almost full rewriting) of that app. But, yeah, probably that's nonsense for you, because you are not a developer...

For the rest of you people, a promised teaser to keep you interested. Some special, street magic:

Harsh reply man. I've been watching the work you've been doing with Chainfire so I'm aware of your talents but tact obviously isn't one of them. I'm not a casual user - new to Omnia is all.

SPB's reply to me was Unfortunately, SPB Mobile Shell version 3.5 officially doesn't support Windows Mobile right now.

so like a said - nonsense.

I'd rather companies write the software properly in the first place and support current and soon to be released software and hardware where ever possible. I've opened a case with them to get them to support the Omnia 2's hardware - is that such a bad thing.

I'm expecting another flaming from you but I'd like to be surprised. I'll still watch your efforts with Chainfire with the same enthusiasm.

Guest guy007

Just installed SPB Mobile Shell 3.5 ... i still prefer the Today screen with SPB Mobile Shell 3.0 and Resco File Manager plug-in. Makes it easier to view in one glance.

By the way, has anyone noticed when we want to reply in the SMS 3D viewer, it shows the message in the default messaging client again and I have to click on Reply again to actually reply the SMS. Not sure if it's the same experience encountered by others.

Guest tacchan23

Is it just me that find the Carusel and 3D messages quite useless even with 3d accelleration working properly? I mean, for sure it's nice to flip them around a bit, but personally I'd never use them on regular base.

Guest conanloi

3d accelleration working properly on Carusel and 3D messages is nothing.

but with this c/m, a lot of software and game can run properly is important.

Guest GinKage
SPB's reply to me was Unfortunately, SPB Mobile Shell version 3.5 officially doesn't support Windows Mobile right now.

so like a said - nonsense.

Wow. Well, yeah, that's some strange reply...

I'd rather companies write the software properly in the first place and support current and soon to be released software and hardware where ever possible. I've opened a case with them to get them to support the Omnia 2's hardware - is that such a bad thing.

No, you still don't understand. 3D-acceleration on Omnia is way too different from what was before on Qualcomm-based devices. So, basically, it is impossible (not just hard) to write 3D software for it without the actual device in your hands. And, even then, it takes hundreds and thousands of code lines to make it work. That's about "soon to be released". They couldn't do this. Do you know, by the way, that Samsung still didn't provide ANY 3D development kit? And, even when you know how to use API, there's still tons of issues with Samsung's drivers, which could not (again, impossible) be known apriori.

That said, Omnia 2 is still unavailable for purschase in Russia (and, Spb is a Russian company). So, in a way, even "current" hardware isn't always possible to support.

So, you are saying that Spb should've done a heroic effort to reverse-engineer an unsupported feature of an unreleased phone, and make it al the way working, by spending lots of hours redesigning, writing and testing? I.e., instead of implementing and polishing some really USEFUL features (and, 3D support in Mobile Shell is, really, just a toy)? The answer is obvious: NO. They just wouldn't have make it in time, and 3.5 release would be delayed a couple of months.

The only REAL option they have, is to release stable-working must-have set of features, and add bells and whistles for specific models later, in something like a 3.6 release. That's how industry-oriented software development works.

Guest TheBishop

Wow. Well, yeah, that's some strange reply...

No, you still don't understand. 3D-acceleration on Omnia is way too different from what was before on Qualcomm-based devices. So, basically, it is impossible (not just hard) to write 3D software for it without the actual device in your hands. And, even then, it takes hundreds and thousands of code lines to make it work. That's about "soon to be released". They couldn't do this. Do you know, by the way, that Samsung still didn't provide ANY 3D development kit? And, even when you know how to use API, there's still tons of issues with Samsung's drivers, which could not (again, impossible) be known apriori.

That said, Omnia 2 is still unavailable for purschase in Russia (and, Spb is a Russian company). So, in a way, even "current" hardware isn't always possible to support.

So, you are saying that Spb should've done a heroic effort to reverse-engineer an unsupported feature of an unreleased phone, and make it al the way working, by spending lots of hours redesigning, writing and testing? I.e., instead of implementing and polishing some really USEFUL features (and, 3D support in Mobile Shell is, really, just a toy)? The answer is obvious: NO. They just wouldn't have make it in time, and 3.5 release would be delayed a couple of months.

The only REAL option they have, is to release stable-working must-have set of features, and add bells and whistles for specific models later, in something like a 3.6 release. That's how industry-oriented software development works.

I'm fully aware of the difference in the 3D Acceleration, I had a Kaiser for a few years and we all know how frustrating that got with drivers and lack of direct support. Like I said I'm not a casual user. I was just trying to share some info that I thought some others may be interested in. I wasn't aware SPB are Russian (thanks for that info). It probably explains the 'strange' reply I had from them.

I'm not aware that I have ever suggested they do something 'herioc' and try to reverse engineer something on a phone that isn't yet released - although most Developers get access to hardware long before we see it. That's why I put 'where ever possible'. However this new version still doesn't appear to fully support the Omnia i9xx - have a look at their forum.

To clarify - maybe I wasn't clear enough in my first post - I've opened a Tech Case with them so that they DO try to support the Omnia 2 in any updates - G Sensor and 3D Acceleration. If nobody raises it with them I doubt they would bother to support it in a '3.6 release'. That's all my first post was really trying to say. I'm not expecting miracles (the G Sensor fix should be easy for them to do - although they've yet to achieve it with the Omnia i9xx series) and I know we're talking months before they are likely to achieve much on the 3D front even if they started now but I thought it worth while letting them know we want our device supported and not just HTC's devices.

What I really don't understand is your first reply. I thought this was a forum where people tried to help each other and provide information that others may be interested in. I'd except that it wasn't a really interesting 1st post but did it really warrant the response you gave it. I haven't normally bothered to respond to other peoples post's in any forum, it's just yours seemed to be more of a put down and points scoring than anything else - not my understanding of why I joined this forum in the first place.

Good luck with your own reverse engineering project.

Guest GinKage
I'm fully aware of the difference in the 3D Acceleration, I had a Kaiser for a few years and we all know how frustrating that got with drivers and lack of direct support. Like I said I'm not a casual user. I was just trying to share some info that I thought some others may be interested in. I wasn't aware SPB are Russian (thanks for that info). It probably explains the 'strange' reply I had from them.

Kaiser is nothing like this case. It's not only a different implementation, but the whole different API on Omnia 2.

the G Sensor fix should be easy for them to do - although they've yet to achieve it with the Omnia i9xx series

What exactly G-Sensor should do on i900? Tilt carousel? It is impossible without 3D hardware rendering, because without OpenGL carousel renders in a whole different way. And, i900 doesn't have OpenGL support at all, so if they implement G-Sensor support, it will still be useless.

What I really don't understand is your first reply. I thought this was a forum where people tried to help each other and provide information that others may be interested in. I'd except that it wasn't a really interesting 1st post but did it really warrant the response you gave it.

Well, I agree that I was a bit too harsh, but I just keep hearing those "enable 3D support, why didn't you do it in the first place?" over and over again, and it seemed that I needed to explain their reasons as clearly as possible.

Actually, I have seen Spb developers face to face, shown them Omnia 2, told them about different ways of implementing 3D on it (not by video or chat, but in person). They do know that people want Omnia 2 to be supported. No point in nagging them.

Guest TheBishop
Kaiser is nothing like this case. It's not only a different implementation, but the whole different API on Omnia 2.

What exactly G-Sensor should do on i900? Tilt carousel? It is impossible without 3D hardware rendering, because without OpenGL carousel renders in a whole different way. And, i900 doesn't have OpenGL support at all, so if they implement G-Sensor support, it will still be useless.

Well, I agree that I was a bit too harsh, but I just keep hearing those "enable 3D support, why didn't you do it in the first place?" over and over again, and it seemed that I needed to explain their reasons as clearly as possible.

Actually, I have seen Spb developers face to face, shown them Omnia 2, told them about different ways of implementing 3D on it (not by video or chat, but in person). They do know that people want Omnia 2 to be supported. No point in nagging them.

Thanks for that. Guess I posted at the wrong time from your point of view.

I referred to the Kaiser because of the fact that 3D acceleration was there in the hardware just unsupported by most software and also by HTC themselves. I know there are fundemental differences in the hardware.

G Sensor should rotate screen to landscape (nothing to do with 3D issue - I can see that's the monkey on your back at the moment). My wife has an Xperia (no G sensor I know) and when she slides the keyboard it auto rotates to landscape. On any HTC with a G Sensor it will auto rotate to landscape. From what I understand it's not a hard thing to support but they haven't done so with the old Omnia yet. I know some prefer to kick to landscape from a rotate button but I'd rather it do it automatically. I know some people are looking at getting hacked HTC G sensor dll's to work with the Omnia. Guess I'm just getting p###ed with the fact that stuff seems to be only written for HTC's and I've plumped for an Omnia -which I think is better.

Glad we've got some common ground at last. I'm not here to p### people off - only trying to help.

As to the nagging them - my life experience is 'Don't ask for it - Won't get it'. I'm not hitting them with notes every 30 mins. Just 1 initial request and 1 followup (to their nonsense reply).

Cheers.

Guest the_KIT

Hi,

Does anyone know how to make the Google Search widget launch Opera rather than Internet Explorer? Most SPB items tend to launch internet explorer for some reason.

:)

Guest TheBishop
Hi,

Does anyone know how to make the Google Search widget launch Opera rather than Internet Explorer? Most SPB items tend to launch internet explorer for some reason.

:)

Just tried on mine and it launched Opera. Are u sure you've got Opera as you default browser.

Guest the_KIT
Just tried on mine and it launched Opera. Are u sure you've got Opera as you default browser.

oh! got it! my badd...thankx for the quickl reply!

Guest GinKage
G Sensor should rotate screen to landscape

Hm... In that case, try the attached dll. It mimics the HTC's G-Sensor behavior on Omnia 2. I tested it on "my" carousel and with Teeter.

Although, I haven't found an option to auto-rotate screen in Mobile Shell.

HTCSensorSDK.zip

Edited by GinKage

Guest TheBishop
Hm... In that case, try the attached dll. It mimics the HTC's G-Sensor behavior on Omnia 2. I tested it on "my" carousel and with Teeter.

Thanks for that. I'll give it a try.

I'm going on this reply from SPB following the first 'weird' one.

I am sorry it was a mistake. You should have 3-D accelerator and G-sensor for using 3D option in Carousel.

Feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions. You can always refer to this ticket using this link: http://support.softspb.com/default.asp?123362_pa1lbfo4

Best regards,

Kristina Mogilevskaya

Technical Support

SPB Software

Going to try a reset and with your .dll in to see what that gives but its already got the Lightsabre working so who knows?? If its ok with you I'll pass your .dll on to the the Tips and FAQ page (started by tacchan23). Thanks again.

Guest GinKage
If its ok with you I'll pass your .dll on to the the Tips and FAQ page (started by tacchan23).

It's OK, though I re-uploaded the file, so be sure to donwload a newer version from my edited post above.

Guest Fetterbr
It's OK, though I re-uploaded the file, so be sure to donwload a newer version from my edited post above.

How do you use the file? it can not be installed so can you please instruct the procedures.

Thanks

Guest popsinger

does anybody know how to activate integration on the spb shell settings? trying to integrate spb weather to shell 3.5 but integrate option not available but yet it's in the registry as home plugins and no setting to activate it but then again it should be active in the first place like on version 3 but it's not. thank you in advance.

Guest conanloi

Hi Ginkage,

What is the different after place dll file to \windows? My carousel still don't have mirror effect. Installed .net 3.5 also.

Your HTCSensorSDK.dll work great in Omnia2.

I've copy HTCAPI.dll from omnia (made by speleomaniac) to make other application work.

Here are the demo

Seismo

Lunar Tilt

0lunar_tilt_omnia2.jpg

Guest AndrewTan

Hi, morning,

I notice you have made success on it, even though you mention it still on working progress, not perfect.

Do you might give an instruction and put up the file as we can beta test on it.

Thanks a lot.

Guest pdaphonemaster

Hi All

I installed SPB MS3.5 over its immediate predesessor 3.01

Everything works fine (except for 3d effects on carrousel which I do not care much about).

However, there is one annoying issue. Once in a while in the personal page screen nothing is responding and it seems the phone is frozen. However, when I press any hardware button that starts some app (e.g. call button, camera button) and come back to the main personal screen page everything works again.

Did anyone else experience this besides me? I am contemplating going back to 3.01 (less bells and whistles, but reliable)

Regards,

Guest tim1979
Hi All

I installed SPB MS3.5 over its immediate predesessor 3.01

Everything works fine (except for 3d effects on carrousel which I do not care much about).

However, there is one annoying issue. Once in a while in the personal page screen nothing is responding and it seems the phone is frozen. However, when I press any hardware button that starts some app (e.g. call button, camera button) and come back to the main personal screen page everything works again.

Did anyone else experience this besides me? I am contemplating going back to 3.01 (less bells and whistles, but reliable)

Regards,

Btw did u use wktask? i have this issue when i use wktask with MS3.5. Once i uninstall, the issue is gone.

Guest pdaphonemaster
Btw did u use wktask? i have this issue when i use wktask with MS3.5. Once i uninstall, the issue is gone.

Yes I am using Wktask. Thanks for the tip. I would never have guessed.

Thanks.