FPU Enabler

Guest Snow02
Once I get it onto the Marketplace ...

Meantime, seems to work okay on the HD2 except for a kmode patching problem, but not much speed diff in GLBenchmark esp in FPU benchmark.

With the beefier Snapdragon cpu, that's not terribly surprising. The software fpu would be more effective than on the Arm11 chips we have I'd imagine.

Guest NuShrike
With the beefier Snapdragon cpu, that's not terribly surprising. The software fpu would be more effective than on the Arm11 chips we have I'd imagine.
I'm do doubt GLBenchmark though having seen some of the quality of their resulting code, such as getting a default color buffer instead of one optimized for the device. Results in poor benchmark results in WM, but probably a AMD/Qualcomm driver bug.

So SKTools benchmarks on TMOUS HD2:

stock:

Integer 796.2459 Moves/25 usec

Floating Point 19.482 MWIPS

vs

fpu-enabled:

Integer 794.8475 Moves/25 usec

Floating Point 113.728 MWIPS

~ 5.8x improvement on Snapdragon's FPU performance. I do know square-roots are 36x faster. Great for 3D, if anybody was still programming for this platform.

Guest NuShrike
So SKTools benchmarks on TMOUS HD2:

stock:

Integer 796.2459 Moves/25 usec

Floating Point 19.482 MWIPS

vs

fpu-enabled:

Integer 794.8475 Moves/25 usec

Floating Point 113.728 MWIPS

Okay, the MWIPS I've been testing on is more realistically in the ~35-50 MWIPS range. It is better than stock, but only about ~2.5x increase. Should be bigger impact on slower cpus such as s3c6410.

The > 50.x version (I've been averaging ~80.x) is doing unsafe things that generally works on the faster Snapdragon, but will totally fail and hang the device once the CPU load goes up. Not fixable until MS releases a FPU-enabled OS kernel, but not ever happening because of Wimpy7s.

Anyways, next step is GUI control panel.

Guest NuShrike
The > 50.x version (I've been averaging ~80.x) is doing unsafe things that generally works on the faster Snapdragon, but will totally fail and hang the device once the CPU load goes up. Not fixable until MS releases a FPU-enabled OS kernel, but not ever happening because of Wimpy7s.
Well, going to have to eat these words.

TMOUS HD2 actually has FPU-enabled kernel. Only issue is the float-point libs don't use it, but this project fixes that anyways.

Guest modacorule

would you add an exit button or exit menu item on this patcher?

I use this patcher on MEIZU M8,it displays:

post-656782-1272946580_thumb.png

I don't know how to do next, does it works?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JohnJayJrV
I use I8000NXXJD7 stock ROM. When I enable the FPUEnabler, I can't open the Samsung phonebook. It won't open for some reason... What I mean is: when I open the jInbox, create new SMS, tap the recipients field, tap the search icon, tap phonebook. then it just show the wait icon and gone, doing nothing. It happens also with I8000ITVJC2 rom...

But, when I restart, then didn't enable the FPUEnabler, the Samsung phonebook is OK...

Anyone know why?

Having the same issue. You ever figure it out?

jv

hi thx for the work. why do we have to keep the app running? it's rather incovenient. could you make it patch once and that's it? thx again! I am running it on Omnia2.

Guest Leeds

Just incase someone is still wondering if this is good for games..

FPU Enabler + AutoClosePatch on Omnia II is an awesome combo!

I don't have many, but these are a few games that I tested and run a LOT smoother

- Crayon Physics

- Assassin's Creed I

- Asphalt 4 HD

- Krazy Kard Racing

- Ferrari GT Evolution

Omnia II with WindowsMobile 6.5

I would say that Chainfire's AutoClosePatch is a must if you want to benefit from FPU Enabler because most of games use a lot of memory

and FPU Enabler will probably get closed as soon as you launch some of them due to samsung's crazy memory management..

So it is always good that FPU Enabler keeps running and AutoClosePatch will make sure of that :)

Thank you very much

Edited by Leeds

• 2 weeks later...
Guest NuShrike
Was there any reason in particular for this?
Development is done for the HD2 (I use it as daily-beater now) -- alternate version compatible with O2 is a short stretch.

But there's no GUI, and can't resolve how to monetize it since MarketPlace won't accept it with all the background hacking. My experience with donations hasn't been that great, so ...

Edited by NuShrike

Guest azza6
Development is done for the HD2 (I use it as daily-beater now) -- alternate version compatible with O2 is a short stretch.

But there's no GUI, and can't resolve how to monetize it since MarketPlace won't accept it with all the background hacking. My experience with donations hasn't been that great, so ...

What a shame.. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest nexusek
What exactly happens on JD1 ? Nothing at all, FPU enabler does not even start ?

Yes FPU enabler does not start, when i touch exe file

Guest tedkord

How short a stretch, and how much do you need?

• 1 month later...
Guest rhimes83

Thank all who worked on this. Running great on my Omnia 2 (i8000).

Although not ridiculousy big speed chnge, it has been noticable & very welcomed! Currently get approx 65MB rom freeon Startup.

Thanks agin!!