21/Jan 1.5 - Superboot - rooting without a Custom ROM - NOT FOR ANDROID 2.1

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest schenkelklopfer

hey, i have the december update + t-mobile stock rom + the rooting with superboot....

now i wanted to use some pics i made as profile picture for some contacts...

after saving its still the anonymous originial grey pic.... but not the one i have chosen...

Am I the only one with that bug? (sorry haven't read all the pages yet...)

thanks a lot

jörgi

No need to flash the system partition, no need to use ADB, no messing with the contents of your data partition, no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device, just flash the boot image using the instructions below and you're done!

(emphasis mine)

Call me paranoid, but after my other little mistakes, I want to make sure I get this one right.

Paul, you said, "no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device". I just want to make sure that is true. I have a CHT8000 from Taiwan and I do not want to lose anything in the pre-existing ROM (anything like the traditional Chinese handwriting IME).

I attempted a nandroid backup without trying to flash anything to try to get a "pure" ROM img of the device prior to rooting. I did get the backup, but it wasnt' "pure". Unfortunately, even though I did not put "flash" into the command line, using the recovery-RA-pulse-v1.5.2.img to do that backup caused Superuser Permissions and Quick Boot to be installed. But the phone is apparently still not rooted. So now I'd like to go ahead and root the thing, since I've come this far already.

(I don't know if there was a way to avoid getting those two apps installed in the first place, but I'd be curious if there was; and I'd be even more curious if there is any way to get rid of them now that they are there.)

Thanks very much.

Follow up edit:

I have attempted to use both superboot options, 1.4 and 1.5. Neither works with the CHT8000. 1.4 causes an endless boot loop and 1.5 results in no touchscreen. So I don't understand why that would be true if superboot only roots without any other changes. (And I guess that shows my ignorance of how all of this works.) :D

Incidentally, it would be great to have a recovery image that could be used only for making nandroid backups that changes nothing in the stock ROM. But maybe that's not possible?

Edited by twrock

Incidentally, it would be great to have a recovery image that could be used only for making nandroid backups that changes nothing in the stock ROM. But maybe that's not possible?

As I just explained in your thread, what changed your ROM wasn't the recovery image, but superboot.

I attempted a nandroid backup without trying to flash anything to try to get a "pure" ROM img of the device prior to rooting. I did get the backup, but it wasnt' "pure". Unfortunately, even though I did not put "flash" into the command line, using the recovery-RA-pulse-v1.5.2.img to do that backup caused Superuser Permissions and Quick Boot to be installed. But the phone is apparently still not rooted. So now I'd like to go ahead and root the thing, since I've come this far already.

Sorry, just checking I understand, you booted into the recover image, without flashing it (e.g. fastboot boot <filename> ) and did a nandroid recovery, prior to attempting anything else and it altered your ROM?

As I just explained in your thread, what changed your ROM wasn't the recovery image, but superboot.

Ok, I think my head is hurting already. :D Let's see if I can get this straight.

Just booting the recovery-RA-pulse-v1.5.2.img to make a nandroid backup using this command, "fastboot boot recovery-RA-pulse-v1.5.2.img", will install those two files because recovery-RA-pulse-v1.5.2.img is a superboot image?

If that is right, then was there a "correct" way to achieve my goal in the first place, my goal of backing up my ROM without changing anything (i.e. without rooting it or flashing anything first)? I ask because I'd still like to have a "pure", original ROM image of this system.

And a big "thank you" for the information in that other thread. I will try to do that, and then hopefully get the backup I have been trying to.

(And sorry for being such a noob.)

Just booting the recovery-RA-pulse-v1.5.2.img to make a nandroid backup using this command, "fastboot boot recovery-RA-pulse-v1.5.2.img", will install those two files because recovery-RA-pulse-v1.5.2.img is a superboot image?

No. Superboot is completely separate from Recovery, and each has its own thread. Now we are speaking in the superboot thread and the recovery thread is HERE.

As you had mentioned in the other thread, you tried to boot into Superboot rather than into Recovery:

I booted into fastboot mode by holding down the "down-volume" and "red-end-call" buttons, then pushing the power button. Then I plugged in the USB cord.

I incorrectly assumed I needed to use the files in the 1.4-pulse-superboot.zip archive since I didn't have the December update (my ROM date is Nov 20). That didn't work.

I did use the 1.5.2-pulse.superboot.zip archive files, and it did work. The command was "fastboot-windows boot recovery-RA-pulse-v1.5.2.img".

1.4 is superboot

1.5.2 is recovery

I have no clue where you got 1.5.2-pulse.superboot.zip

maybe you meant 1.5-pulse-superboot.zip ?

or maybe you meant 1.5.2-pulse-amonrarecovery.zip ?

I have no clue where you got 1.5.2-pulse.superboot.zip

maybe you meant 1.5-pulse-superboot.zip ?

or maybe you meant 1.5.2-pulse-amonrarecovery.zip ?

Yes, it was a typo. I was able to get things working with the recovery-RA-pulse-v1.5.2.img out of the 1.5.2-pulse-amonrarecovery.zip file.

Edited by twrock

Yes, it was a typo. I was able to get things working with the recovery-RA-pulse-v1.5.2.img out of the 1.5.2-pulse-amonrarecovery.zip file.

OK, but either way you tried Superboot first which is what installed those two files, not Recovery.

Guest fivegoldstars

Anybody else found that using Superboot has caused a problem with the screen lock? It's the only thing I've really changed, but the screen lock is not enabling anymore (I have of course checked the settings, tried changing the pattern etc, turn off/turn on etc)

• 1 month later...
Guest ajieboy

help.

i got problem with touchscreen after install superboot. the touchscreen is not responding :)

i cannot unloc or do other thing related to touchscreen

however, i still can use the button

my Huawei U8230 is having Build Date Jan 17 2010

how to solve this problem?

TIA

====================

edit :

i extract boot.img from U8230 U8230V100R001C00B250 and then change the superboot flash image in the BAT file to boot.img, and then replace the existed superboot flash image (that makes my touchscreen not working) with original boot.img

now touchscreen works again

Edited by ajieboy

• 1 month later...
Guest SonMauri

Hi.

Will this work on a non T-mobile U8220?

I live in Chile and here there are currently two operators selling this phone: Movistar and Claro.

I dont want to break my phone... it is safe to root the phone with this method using a non tmobile pulse?

Guest vasillek

ive got problems with drivers, i cannot connect pulse to anything... my main platform is mac, but ive tried win xp, win vista, also win 7

when i connect my pulse, with installed pcsuite crap, there appears unknown device in device list, without question mark... when i try to update driver and point to pcsuite/driver folders, it says that i have allready installed right drivers

HELL

i need to root, i need to upload music without removing sd still and still again

• 2 weeks later...
Guest giryan
I root it but now I dont know what to do

help please

You don't know what to do after you've rooted?

Just use the phone, there is a Superuser Permissions app that you will have, there's no need to actually do anything with that, and also a Quick Boot app.

Guest n4nick
help.

i got problem with touchscreen after install superboot. the touchscreen is not responding :)

i cannot unloc or do other thing related to touchscreen

however, i still can use the button

my Huawei U8230 is having Build Date Jan 17 2010

====================

edit :

i extract boot.img from U8230 U8230V100R001C00B250 and then change the superboot flash image in the BAT file to boot.img, and then replace the existed superboot flash image (that makes my touchscreen not working) with original boot.img

now touchscreen works again

Was the phone still rooted after you restored the boot.img? And where can I get a copy of U8230V100R001C00B250 Firmware?

Guest Ramapitecus
Hi. I have a u8230(TMN A1). I ws wondering if it is possible to use Superboot with my Phone?

I've tried that and the result was catastrophic...

The phone refused to boot and i had to use amonra recovery....

In the end I lost my waranty (during the boot process a Huawei logo is shown ) and the phone was not rooted. So, dont even try!

Guest arlindo.costa

In the end I lost my waranty (during the boot process a Huawei logo is shown ) and the phone was not rooted. So, dont even try!

Thanks a lot for the warning! :-)

Guest joanorsky

Well i can help you to get your original boot back.. if you havent solved that still!

Regarding rooting.. i am also looking for some answers.. but they are getting hard to get.. no luck here still.

Guest Speckles

It would usually be easier to just use the MCR build, which is the official ROM rooted.

You have to re-do your configurations, but considering how long the official ROM has been out, there's typically not that much to re-do.