21/Dec 1.91 - Teknologist kernel with tun.ko, ext4, cifs, and compache ramzswap for GSM Hero

Guest teknologist

Guest phpdecoders
Weird, Then I would say you should ditch MyBackup Pro ! ;-)

No way I am keeping an app on my Hero that blocks it from sleeping !

I all ready did that.. Now I'm running Sprite Backup, and It looks like it lets the hero sleep :) Thanks..

Guest Carl_Brummy
AmonRA 1.5.2 doesn't fix the fact that it simply doesn't support ext4 (only ext4-dev)

Kendon has been answering this already all over this forums.

As per your boot loop...dunno...

2 cases out of 118 downloads so far...

Maybe removing the battery f*cks up something... As I don't don't know why it reboot cycles... :-(

You have the exact same setup I have except I use ext2 for the sdcard A2SD partition because I wanted to use AmonRA's excellent nand+ext new feature!

Anyway, the thing I really don't understand with Phanes and your problems is how come you are unable to Nandroid restore ???

Even if you can't restore sdcard ext partition it should ALWAYS restore the ROM area fine.

I do nandroid backup/restores all the time ! (think about it , with the amount of testing I do everytime) Never had a single glitch.

This afternoon I wiped the phone and installed Generic .66, updated with 1.91 for generics and succesfully nandroid restore back to my MCR 3.0 + 1.91 kernel without any problems...

I am starting to think more and more, you guys might have some serious issues with your sdcards...

Sorry I can't be of more help ! :-(

Hi, my phone was ok, the ROM area restored fine, but I did get the error on the nandroid restore. I only pulled the battery because after 20 minutes of 'booting' it was obvious something was wrong. As for the SD Card, I have a 8GB class 6 card that has been flawless so far and continuing to work fine now.

I have MCR3.0, I did apply your performance tweak after 1.9, then applied 1.91 over this. Like I said, first time I have had any problems with it. I do use A2SD and wonder if something here has caused it? I also upgraded from ext3 to ext4 on my sd card.

But, not to worry, the bleeding edge and all that, the whole reason for buying this Hero was because of the activity on custom roms etc. Thats why I do a backup regularly :-) Thanks anyway.

Guest Carl_Brummy

I tried to apply 1.91 again, just now, after updating to 1.5.2 amon ra recovery, and still no joy. Just boot cycles continuosly. Restore again using nandroid ok. Cannot work out what is different about my config. Strange.

Note: Upgraded to 1.5.2 amon ra, nandroid backup, applied 1.91, failed, restored nandroid backup with no errors this time - so that must have been a 1.5.1 issue with nandroid 2.2.1

Phone is back up and working again, but just cannot get 1.91 on the phone at all....

If I can help at all with diagnosing this then maybe my config would be a start? How do I get a status off my phone that would help you?

Edited by Carl_Brummy

Guest Carl_Brummy

Hi, I thought I would give this another go, you know 3rd time lucky and all that... :-) Anyway, I re-downloaded it from the site, and took another nandroid backup (had some updates on apps since), and re-applied it, guess what...it worked straight off! :)

Absolutely fine now....go figure.....

My config now - MCR3.0, teknologist kernel 1.91, Amon Ra 1.5.2.

And they all lived happily ever after! ;)

Thanks for the input guys.

Guest ptruman
Flash to 1.91 without issue (MCR 3.0 + AmonRa 1.5.2 + Ext4 partition)

Ditto that - I was on 3.0 with 1.9 (plus perf tweak), Amon Ra 1.5.2 with Ext4 and the 1.91 update took and ran fine.

Guest JadeMonkee

Works fine here. Aman Ra 1.5.2 MCR 3.0, coming from MCK 1.9 w/ performance tweak.

Updated yesterday, and battery life seems fine (I charge every night, and after lunch at work, though, so I'm not running the battery flat), but it lasted through midnight last night without getting too low, so that's a good sign.

Keep up the awesome work!

Edited by JadeMonkee

Guest teknologist
To disable ramzswap, I assume I simply have to remove the ramzswap.sh or comment out the lines within it?

comment out the proper lines in ramzswap.sh

just out of curiosity, why would you disable ramzswap ?

Guest venturerider

I actually restored from the backup I did before installing ranzswap. Maybe it's psychosomatic, but I felt much more lag after the install. And it looked like I had a bit less RAM on hand.

Edited by venturerider

Guest masterpfa

Ok decided to give MCR 3.0 a try again, had previously downgraded to MCR 2.8 for around a month

Flashed MCR 3.0, Teknologist 1.91 and AmonRa 1.5.2

No problems on install phone running smoothly

Will monitor Battery and see if other issues occur.

:)

:)

Works VERY fine here too. Coming from MCR 3.0, tek 1.9 perf tweak, Amon Ra 1.5.2. Everything's smooth and running. Keep on doing such a fantastic job for us, the poor ignorants !!

Thanks X 10000000

Guest Meteorite
comment out the proper lines in ramzswap.sh

just out of curiosity, why would you disable ramzswap ?

hi, which lines do i have to comment out in order to disable ramzswap?

Guest cosy6ay

Amon RA 1.5.2 + MCR 3.0 with 1.9.1 install ok for me.

how do i know the swap is working for me ?

cat /proc/ramzswap alway show 0.

Edited by cosy6ay

Guest masterpfa

Hi I have been monitoring my phone for a little while now and have experienced some lag when phone coming out of sleep.

Current set up MCR 3.0 Teck Kernel 1.91 AmonRa 1.5.2

Initially when first installed all was OK but over time the dreaded lag has raised it's ugly head.

Not problem as such but reporting back as requested.

Battery has not been lasting as long, may be due to me constantly playing with the phone etc.

Guest Geochelone

I found out my phone is tardy after sleep, positively after I applied TCK 1.91 to my MCR 3.0c. I never have this problem from previous TCK though.

I installed TCK 1.91 to a freshly wiped MCR 3.0c with reformatted sd.

Guest Dan Mullen
Hi I have been monitoring my phone for a little while now and have experienced some lag when phone coming out of sleep.

Initially when first installed all was OK but over time the dreaded lag has raised it's ugly head.

Battery has not been lasting as long, may be due to me constantly playing with the phone etc.

Exactly the same setup here and exactly the same issue. I've posted this in another thread, but basically I was wondering if the compcache thing is interfering with Android's default memory management capabilities? I never needed any sort of task killer when I was on MCR 2.5.1 - never experienced any sort of slow-down. However, I've installed one to test it and closing apps manually does speed up my phone. Obviously this is to be expected, but the point is I never had to manually kill tasks before.

I don't know enough about compcache, but hopefully teknologist or someone else with knowledge about this could have a look and see if it's possibly the culprit?

Guest teknologist

I don't have this problem on mine but I think increased compache size could have an impact depending on how you use you phone.

Don't get me wrong I do get occasional lag but has nothing to do with kernel, when I use "top" I see android calendar and google sync eating lots of cpu...I guess some periodic android processes are CPU intensive.

If still you feel this is only happening since you upgraded to TCK 1.91 then you can always try to lower the disksize_kb parameter in /system/init.d/ramzswap.sh

Again, I doubt it is 1.91 specific...

You said it, if you constantly play with your phone you'll eat the battery faster.

One thing I have noticed is that, my phone being a lot more responsive and faster, I use it a lot more, hence the increased battery drain...

Thanks to all of you for reporting...

Please continue to do so as it lets me improve the kernel configuration ! :-)

Merry Xmas and happy new year to all of you !

Edited by teknologist

Guest teknologist
I found out my phone is tardy after sleep, positively after I applied TCK 1.91 to my MCR 3.0c. I never have this problem from previous TCK though.

I installed TCK 1.91 to a freshly wiped MCR 3.0c with reformatted sd.

Can you report on the output of:

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

?

TIA !