WIFI disappearing problem with WM6.5 - a partial solution

Guest pdaphonemaster

Guest Back2Nature
WifiProfiles worked for me.

but I've also noticed the change of the reg. value

HKLM\System\State\Hardware -> wifi

from 0 to 1 after I enabled wifi successfully via WifiProfiles.

Now I made a test and set the value of 'wifi' to '0' (zero) and voila.. the Wifi option disappeared.

After reenabling wifi option with WifiProfiles the value was 5 (five) ??

I'll try to enable the wifi option this way, but I couldn't make the Wifi option disappear again *lol*

I'd say try it, and please let me know if it made some difference.

So, does it matter what value to set to? Initially I set to 1, the option is back but still couldn't connect.

Also option disappear again after off/on. It works later when I changed it to 5. I realized that when it is

connected, the value is 11.

Anyway, found another solution by Synchroni (link) but I've yet to try:

This is how i resolve the missing wifi without reset.

I guess the problem lies on the Auto assign IP for the WIFI...

1) Start > Settings > Network settings > Wifi > Menu > MS Setting > Network Adapters

2) Select "Samsung 802.11 WIFI CARD" > Edit

3) Select Use Specific IP Address

4) Under IP address; key any IP number in e.g. 10.0.0.0

5) "Ok" on the top right hand corner...

6) Repeat step 2 to 5 with "Use server-assigned IP address"

• 1 month later...
Guest chopstks
So, does it matter what value to set to? Initially I set to 1, the option is back but still couldn't connect.

Also option disappear again after off/on. It works later when I changed it to 5. I realized that when it is

The solution from Synchroni worked for me on my unlocked unbranded Omnia II (I8000) WM 6.5. Thanks Synchroni. Its basically WiFi card driver service Stop & Restart. I don't have SKTools or Opera 10 but I do have SPB Wirless Monitor 3.1 Trial, SPB Traveller Trial and SPB Backup 2 Trial installed recently. Will remove them one by one to isolate the problem.

Edited by chopstks

Guest chopstks
The solution from Synchroni worked for me on my unlocked unbranded Omnia II (I8000) WM 6.5. Thanks Synchroni. Its basically WiFi card driver service Stop & Restart. I don't have SKTools or Opera 10 but I do have SPB Wireless Monitor 3.1 Trial, SPB Traveller Trial and SPB Backup 2 Trial installed recently. Will remove them one by one to isolate the problem.

I have removed SPB Traveller and SPB Wireless Monitor but still have the same issue. So I think thy are NOT the direct cause of the problem. Still don't have any idea what the cause is. Seems that it happens after some of my reboots.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kasma

Dear ALL,

I am not sure, if I understand correctly "missing WIFi"...

My problem is, when I´m go to Start - Settings - Network Settings - Wifi, than it shows me the "button" in the middle of the screen, I push it,

it started and chnanged on blue color. But after this it started to find any connections. But shows me nothing - No connections, no locked/free wifi points, which can shows my nokia...

Thanks for your advice...

my omnia came with a stock 6.5 OS, and I never had this wifi problem, until recently when I flashed with a 6.5.3+Sense rom. i wished I had seen this topic earlier so that I could try to use the various methods in this topic to see which one works. well i simply flashed with another rom, this time being 6.5+Sense. and wifi has been working ever since. therefore it seems to me the problem is caused by either 6.5.x or the driver gets affected during cooking.

Guest nutpantz

is there any chance someone can make a cab file to change the registry?

i just got my phone and have been pulling my hair out from this bug thinking it was something wrong with

my phone..

thanks..

nutz

this solution worked for me! thanks msegmx, i was going crazy. Now i have WI-FI again!! :)

But i done only the regetry fix, with out the wifiprofiles instalation!

Guest Crezymunky

The only thing i have found that fixes this EVERYTIME is to enable the samsung widgets interface, bring up the wireless widget, end disable wifi power management. this works everytime for me. (using official samsung rom)

Guest nutpantz

i have had my phone for just over 2 weeks

and have had this problem for the last 10 days

i am on my 3rd phone as both bell canada and samsung canada think this must be a hardware issue.

i am on the original 6.5 rom (phone is locked)

i tried the reg fix (0 to 1)

and the wifi was back on the menu

but even if it looked like it was going on there was no wifi icon in the top bar and it found no wifi

in an area that has 3 routers in it.

after a few resets it went back to working.

im going to try the driver restart next time it dies.

if i can point to exactly what the issue is maybe bell and samsung will fix it

my versions numbers are

wifi

s/w 1.2.2.6

h/w 1.0

os

5.2.21856 build 21856.5.0.65

swldm20_oc.dll 396k 406164 bytes created 10/22/09 9:21 pm

if someone has a newer of different swldm20_oc.dll file please post it if you have no wifi problems

its in the windows directory

you have all been very helpfull

nutz

Edited by nutpantz

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Phantom75

Oh man, thank you very much for this one!

I had a lunch today with a couple of friends along with their gadgets (we're all geeks, I guess). I have a HTC Desire and a Samsung Omnia2, and they have an iPhone 3GS, a Nokia N97 and a Nokia 5800.

The restaurant has a WLAN access point, and we were all poking around some internet connection through wifi, and my Omnia2 was the only one which couldn't connect! I got really embarassed and pissed off with that.

Now I know what happened and how to solve that bug.

Thanks a milion, for this one I really owe you a beer!

• 4 weeks later...
this solution worked for me! thanks msegmx, i was going crazy. Now i have WI-FI again!! :(

But i done only the regetry fix, with out the wifiprofiles instalation!

I had the same problem. The problem seemed to be that something was preventing the wifi from activating, much less connecting to anything. I tried several of the posts from here and other forums, like editing the registry, restarting in the middle of activating, etc. But none of them worked. But I finally found a way that works every time.

1) On the wifi settings page, choose Menu->MS Settings

2) On the Network Adapters tab (or Configure Network Adapters panel), choose "SAMSUNG 802.11 WIFI"

3) Mine was defaulted to the radio button "Use server-assigned IP address". Instead choose the "Use specific IP address" radio button.

4) Enter a bogus IP address. I always use 1.1.1.1.

5) Press OK to accept the changes.

6) Now go back into the same panel and choose the original radio button again, called "Use server-assigned IP address".

7) Press OK to accept the changes.

8) Now enable the wifi. Works every time.

My guess is that some bug in the software causes the wifi driver to crash or get to an unstable state. This seems to reinitialize it and it make the world happy again!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest domini angelus

In my case, all the times when i install opera mobile 10 beta the wifi setting is gone.

I have an idea: someone with winmobile 6.1 version of Omnia II, which seems not being affected by this problem, could send wifi driver files and then another one could pack them in a cab.

I think replacing 6.5 wifi driver with 6.1 version could help solving this problem.

My OII is a brazilian i8000L unlocked (TIM Brasil).

PDA: i8000LNUIIJ1

CSC: I8000LZTMIJ1

TEL: I8000LUIIJ1

WIFI

S/W: 1.2.3.0

H/W: 1.0

Edited by domini angelus

• 1 month later...
Guest likung
I had the same problem. The problem seemed to be that something was preventing the wifi from activating, much less connecting to anything. I tried several of the posts from here and other forums, like editing the registry, restarting in the middle of activating, etc. But none of them worked. But I finally found a way that works every time.

1) On the wifi settings page, choose Menu->MS Settings

2) On the Network Adapters tab (or Configure Network Adapters panel), choose "SAMSUNG 802.11 WIFI"

3) Mine was defaulted to the radio button "Use server-assigned IP address". Instead choose the "Use specific IP address" radio button.

4) Enter a bogus IP address. I always use 1.1.1.1.

5) Press OK to accept the changes.

6) Now go back into the same panel and choose the original radio button again, called "Use server-assigned IP address".

7) Press OK to accept the changes.

8) Now enable the wifi. Works every time.

My guess is that some bug in the software causes the wifi driver to crash or get to an unstable state. This seems to reinitialize it and it make the world happy again!

WOW!!! Your solution works on my Omnia 2 I8000L with JH2 Lite ROM by Alex. The missing wifi icon magically comes back to life. TYVM. :)