09/Feb 1.7 - MoDaCo Custom ROM - U8230 Vanilla Style (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

the solution is to flash your original boot.img after installing the custom rom.

you won't have root, however, and won't be able to use apps2sd or swapcache.

to get root, read the RBM2 and CHT8000 threads.

Well, the RBM2 or CHT8000 rooting flashes didn't work on the device, so my only way of rooting the device would be to copy, write and edit my own flash, no?

Guest Glycerin
Well, the RBM2 or CHT8000 rooting flashes didn't work on the device, so my only way of rooting the device would be to copy, write and edit my own flash, no?

Send me your boot.img - then i update this for you and "maybe" you will get root access! But you shoud do a nandroid-backup before!

Guest gustav_
When I try to do this for the Dalvik or SD:ext ones, I get an error message telling me to run 'wipe dalvik' adb, etc. Any guidance about how to do this? Cheers!

I have the same problem, I can't wipe my Dalvik or EXT in amon ra recovery..

anyone know why..?

tnx btw for everything :(

Guest Glycerin
A2SD doesn't seem to work though, neither with my original rom or with modaco. Did you include it?

This is only a superboot boot.img for root access - not a customrom! Apps2sd is therefore not included...! If you want to use Apps2SD you must flash a customrom or you can test it with the apk Apps2SD without flashing a customrom!

Guest Rizzly
This is only a superboot boot.img for root access - not a customrom! Apps2sd is therefore not included...! If you want to use Apps2SD you must flash a customrom or you can test it with the apk Apps2SD without flashing a customrom!

I was wondering though, since I unpacked both the boot.img you made me and the boot.img that's included in the modaco rom. Can't you just add the app2sd parts from the modaco boot-img to the init.rc in yours? Then you would flash your phone with modaco, followed by flashing the boot.img with the a2sd-parts via superboot?

I would love to try, but I had a hard time installing the android source to be able to "rezip" the contents of it.

Edit:

I managed to repack the content to an image, I used the init-rc from the modaco rom. I installed the bootimage with the help of superboot.

Unfortunetly (though not really unexpected) it didn't work. I'm trying to figure out what's going wrong, and I noticed that this line "service init /system/bin/sh /data/init.sh" in init.rc really doesn't lead anywhere, at least not if I look inside the zip wich is used for modaco-flashing or in the ramdisk of the bootimage. I'm jumping to conclusions here, but is that what makes a2sd break for me? That the init.sh-file can't be executed?

If that's the case, how do I find init.sh, is it within the kernel in some way? Do I need to edit the kernel in some way to get a2sd to work?

Edit 2:

Apps2sd basics?

I've now spent a few hours browsing around in the system- and bootimages to try to understand how apps2sd works, however I sadly found modacos (cyanogens?) implementation a little hard to grasp (it's indeed very advanced). I think I get the basics, both the boot-sequence and the loaded system needs symlinks to the sdcard and something that automates the mounting of the sdcard, am I right, am I missing something?

I'm making these assumptions (?) since I succesfully created all symlinks and folders on the phone with the phone in recovery-mode using USB-MS and adb, I also succesfully mounted the ext-partition. Then after reboot, the phone got stuck on the loading screen, this is where I connected to it with adb again and saw that there were no traces of anything to do with adb, and sicne the system was read-only I couldn't make changes from there.

If I got this right, how do I make a system/sd-folder that's permanent in the booting-sequence? I tried putting a mkdir in init.rc in the bootimage, and I also tried to manually adding the sdfolder under system, sufficed to say, none of these methods worked. According to adb dalvik,apps etc. under /data did not have symlinks during boot either, how would I go about adding these?

A last resort

So as a cowards way out I tried the easiest way last, because of in what order I learned how to extract/pack/sign etc. I just opened the bootimage of modaco, and replaced the kernel with the one from the swedish bootimage. First I tried to edit the system image from the swedish rom as little as possible and only add the essential parts of modaco to it. I packed everything to an update.zip and signed it, low and behold; both the patching and booting worked like a charm! However, I got stuck on the android introduction-screen with no data-connection, I didn't give much thought to this at first, so I tried to first install modaco, boot, keep from wiping anything, an repatch my custom update.zip. Now, the android introduction was not bothering me anymore, just one small tiny little thing (with a big impact of the usability of my patch) was keeping it all from working.

So what I missed the first time when I booted was the fact that the phone didn't ask me for a pin-code. I don't really know how I missed that, but I did, now that I could browse around in the system, I realisedthat nothing having to do with the sim worked. I got no connection, I couldn't add any apns, not anything! In my frystration I tried to flash with modaco and only a custom bootimage, but with the same result.

This led, and still leads me to believe that there's a small little difference somewhere in the kernel of the swedish rom that differs in the handling of sim-cards from that of modacos. Are there any files on the system-image that handles this, something I should to keep from the swedish rom to help this work? I'm guessing it 's not that easy. Are there any of the mods to modaco that make the sim-functionality more prone to break, is there anything I could try taking away?

If I can't do anything of the above, how would I go about opening and editing the kernel-files?

---

Sorry for my essay, and if Paul or someone else wants me to spilt this from this thread, I'll be more than willing to do so and create a new one. This is a pretty long post with a lot of questions after all, not without a few of them being considered as off-topic.

Oh, and thanks for all the help so far, especially to Glycerin for getting me started with the rooted bootimage :( ! I hope for an app2sd-fix for us swedish users in the near future, and from a more egoistic point of view, I'd love to learn more about how the android-system is built :( .

Edited by Rizzly

Guest Glycerin
I was wondering though, since I unpacked both the boot.img you made me and the boot.img that's included in the modaco rom. Can't you just add the app2sd parts from the modaco boot-img to the init.rc in yours? Then you would flash your phone with modaco, followed by flashing the boot.img with the a2sd-parts via superboot?

I would love to try, but I had a hard time installing the android source to be able to "rezip" the contents of it.

The Apps2SD is included in the system.img and in the init.rc in the ramdisk of the boot.img (Please correct me if i'm wrong)

Edit:

I managed to repack the content to an image, I used the init-rc from the modaco rom. I installed the bootimage with the help of superboot.

Unfortunetly (though not really unexpected) it didn't work. I'm trying to figure out what's going wrong, and I noticed that this line "service init /system/bin/sh /data/init.sh" in init.rc really doesn't lead anywhere, at least not if I look inside the zip wich is used for modaco-flashing or in the ramdisk of the bootimage. I'm jumping to conclusions here, but is that what makes a2sd break for me? That the init.sh-file can't be executed?

If that's the case, how do I find init.sh, is it within the kernel in some way? Do I need to edit the kernel in some way to get a2sd to work?

You don't have to edit the kernel if you want app2sd works... - its included at the system.img and in the init.rc at the ramdisk of the boot.img - As i made my RBM2 U8230 StockRom i doesn't edit my kernel. I compared my data with the Modaco Custom Rom data and edited my StockRom!

Edit 2:

Apps2sd basics?

I've now spent a few hours browsing around in the system- and bootimages to try to understand how apps2sd works, however I sadly found modacos (cyanogens?) implementation a little hard to grasp (it's indeed very advanced). I think I get the basics, both the boot-sequence and the loaded system needs symlinks to the sdcard and something that automates the mounting of the sdcard, am I right, am I missing something?

I'm making these assumptions (?) since I succesfully created all symlinks and folders on the phone with the phone in recovery-mode using USB-MS and adb, I also succesfully mounted the ext-partition. Then after reboot, the phone got stuck on the loading screen, this is where I connected to it with adb again and saw that there were no traces of anything to do with adb, and sicne the system was read-only I couldn't make changes from there.

If I got this right, how do I make a system/sd-folder that's permanent in the booting-sequence? I tried putting a mkdir in init.rc in the bootimage, and I also tried to manually adding the sdfolder under system, sufficed to say, none of these methods worked. According to adb dalvik,apps etc. under /data did not have symlinks during boot either, how would I go about adding these?

A last resort

So as a cowards way out I tried the easiest way last, because of in what order I learned how to extract/pack/sign etc. I just opened the bootimage of modaco, and replaced the kernel with the one from the swedish bootimage. First I tried to edit the system image from the swedish rom as little as possible and only add the essential parts of modaco to it. I packed everything to an update.zip and signed it, low and behold; both the patching and booting worked like a charm! However, I got stuck on the android introduction-screen with no data-connection, I didn't give much thought to this at first, so I tried to first install modaco, boot, keep from wiping anything, an repatch my custom update.zip. Now, the android introduction was not bothering me anymore, just one small tiny little thing (with a big impact of the usability of my patch) was keeping it all from working.

So what I missed the first time when I booted was the fact that the phone didn't ask me for a pin-code. I don't really know how I missed that, but I did, now that I could browse around in the system, I realisedthat nothing having to do with the sim worked. I got no connection, I couldn't add any apns, not anything! In my frystration I tried to flash with modaco and only a custom bootimage, but with the same result.

This led, and still leads me to believe that there's a small little difference somewhere in the kernel of the swedish rom that differs in the handling of sim-cards from that of modacos. Are there any files on the system-image that handles this, something I should to keep from the swedish rom to help this work? I'm guessing it 's not that easy. Are there any of the mods to modaco that make the sim-functionality more prone to break, is there anything I could try taking away?

If I can't do anything of the above, how would I go about opening and editing the kernel-files?

---

Sorry for my essay, and if Paul or someone else wants me to spilt this from this thread, I'll be more than willing to do so and create a new one. This is a pretty long post with a lot of questions after all, not without a few of them being considered as off-topic.

Oh, and thanks for all the help so far, especially to Glycerin for getting me started with the rooted bootimage :( ! I hope for an app2sd-fix for us swedish users in the near future, and from a more egoistic point of view, I'd love to learn more about how the android-system is built :( .

In a file at the system-folder, i dont know them know exactly you can comment out the providers and let in your provider - maybe thats the matter...

But if you upload your the Rom or your system.img i will take a look at this :(

Edited by Glycerin

Guest Rizzly
The Apps2SD is included in the system.img and in the init.rc in the ramdisk of the boot.img (Please correct me if i'm wrong)

You don't have to edit the kernel if you want app2sd works... - its included at the system.img and in the init.rc at the ramdisk of the boot.img - As i made my RBM2 U8230 StockRom i doesn't edit my kernel. I compared my data with the Modaco Custom Rom data and edited my StockRom!

In a file at the system-folder, i dont know them know exactly you can comment out the providers and let in your provider - maybe thats the matter...

But if you upload your the Rom or your system.img i will take a look at this :(

Well, I didn't have the provider in the rom to begin with, so I don't think that's the problem.

Anyway, here you go: http://www.mediafire.com/?tyjftmrerti

And thanks for offering your help yet again :(

Guest gustav_
I have the same problem, I can't wipe my Dalvik or EXT in amon ra recovery..

anyone know why..?

tnx btw for everything :(

I now get, after 2 days of working just fine, the error:

"The application java (process com.esmertec.android.jbed) has stopped unepectedly. Please try again."

Should I re-wipe everything again? And then how can I wipe Dalvik and EXT?

Because I keep getting an error message when I try that, telling me to run 'wipe dalvik' adb, etc.

Any guidance about how to do this? Cheers!

Guest Zsolabola
Thanks I tried that, and I don't like it

I thought that the messaging engine is the same regardless the used messaging client, and handcent, and chomp sms is only a different GUI to that engine.

Now I use handcent :(

With Handcent the same problem again

total number of messages about 200

The highest number from one contact is about 90 sms

After deleting that conversation the SMS center sent all the pending messages at once

Can anyone tell me if they are able to use search (for a post code for example) in Google Maps - for me this always crashes Maps. Alternatively is there a way to re-install or repair Google Maps?

Guest _melchett

I can search for postcodes without the phone crashing, take a titanium back up of your current maps, delete what is installed and try redownloading.

BTW out of interest can someone tell me what the "Fix apk uid mismatches" actually does. I have never needed to use it before (i use repair ext when i restart the phone everytime) but when i was unable to sign in to the market i knew this was likely to be the fix (the answer always seems to be repair ext and fix uid). What is a uid? Sorry for being slow!

Guest robot1000
soo.... any ideas when the 1.8 rom will be available to all? and not in beta?

thanks

I have a feeling it won't.

Android 2.1 will (hopefully) be out in the next couple of weeks and so it won't be worth it for Paul to work out the current 1.8 ROM

Guest petim
The online kitchens now feature 'Custom Ingredients' - view this MoDaCo topic for more details! :)

P

Dear Paul,

Thank you for the 1.7 vanilla rom, it's much better, than the original t-mobile.

I have only one problem with it, the eastern european caracters (I can't search in the contatcts list without them) I need the áéőúűóüöí caracters.

Please help me how could I set this caracters to the t9 search?

Thank you for your answere,

Peter

Hello!

I've bought a Pulse, and I would like to intall, this MoDaCo custom ROM. If I install the rom from an SD card, and later I change that card to a bigger one, will that cause any problems? I dont want to install applications to the card untill I get a new memory card, but I'd like to install the rom. Thanks for the help!

Guest h3dshot
I have a feeling it won't.

Android 2.1 will (hopefully) be out in the next couple of weeks and so it won't be worth it for Paul to work out the current 1.8 ROM

ooh, and i take it android 2.1 will be much faster and alot less buggy?

Guest Basher52
ooh, and i take it android 2.1 will be much faster and alot less buggy?

Hopefully.

Android on the Huawei u8220 was pictured in some Videos, but it was rather slow, think its caused by slow memory an the increased Rom size. Maybe this was caused by adddings like live Wallpaper, which could be uninstalled or something like that.