Future android update to 2.0 or 2.1

Guest Daniel Williamson

Just got this response back:

No help whatsoever

Yeah and a little disappointing, although tbh much more what I expected than the Dutch CSR saying they'd update it to 2.0

Guest Minus616

Just a silly question

If T-mobile don't end up releasing Android 1.6/2.0/2.1 for the pulse, is there anyway someone could take the software update from another phone and edit it so it's compatible for Android?

Or is that not possible :)

Edited by Minus616

Guest david_dawkins
Just a silly question

If T-mobile don't end up releasing Android 1.6/2.0/2.1 for the pulse, is there anyway someone could take the software update from another phone and edit it so it's compatible for Android?

Or is that not possible :)

People on this forum have been staying up all night, losing hair and sleep trying to do exactly that. I'm in awe..

People on this forum have been staying up all night, losing hair and sleep trying to do exactly that. I'm in awe..

Oh my god, you have no idea. If it wasn't a bad time for uni etc, i'd be working really hard on it. But I have a deadline on Friday etc and it's just too hard to do both at once. I'll jump on the bandwagon again once I get my workload down.

Sebastian and I have been trying to get 1.6 working correctly. We (mostly Sebastian) made a functional - pretty much 1.5 ROM. I'm going to have a look at multitouch as my next endeavor.

Guest David Horvath

Even the 2.1 SDK has came out. What i dont understand is if Paul(praise his name) can create a vanilla rom, how come, he cannot use 2.1 SDK? Or he is not building from source?

Guest jonathonf

If the phone used hardware that was supported by the open source elements of Android building 2.0 would be trivial. The issue comes down to the hardware used by Huawei that they have programmed drivers for themselves - the source code for these drivers is not released meaning they can't be recompiled for 2.0 (or 1.6 or 2.1). 2.0 etc. use a different Linux kernel version than 1.5 (2.6.29 compared to 2.6.27).

Rebuilding 1.5, OTOH, is much easier as the drivers can be taken from the current release and simply "plugged in" to the rebuilt ROM. This is possible as they are built for the same kernel version.

Guest David Horvath

That is bad news... hmmm.. so no way to link these drivers to the kernels other than what is in 1.5. We would need the sources.. Why they are not giving it out?

One question. If we talking about huawei drivers, you mean for the camera, accumulator, whatso ever? Dont we have the arm drivers for the chipset? That should cover a lot.. and we have wifi drivers as well..

Guest robot1000

There is still hope people (translated from here)

Huawei's successful landing in France Android phone

[December 18, 2009, China, Shenzhen] Huawei Android â„¢ smartphone U8230 through the French operator Bouygues Telecom's exclusive retail channel for gorgeous appearance, which is the world's first self-owned brands based on Huawei's Android â„¢ smart phones. Bouygues Telecom, as the Christmas sales season in a blockbuster product, Huawei U8230's debut is bound to the French market, patterns of intelligent machines is not a small impact, leading a new consumer trends.

With the Android platform, as well as superior product design, Huawei U8230 successfully entered the relatively strict requirements for the French smart phone market. At the same time, Huawei U8230 for French consumers a more sophisticated mobile Internet experience. Huawei U8230 built a full range of Google services, such as Google Search, Google Map, Gmail, YouTube and so on, but also built-in Android Market application store, through which thousands of applications, users will be able to get more personalized mobile end-user experience.

As a leader in next-generation communications network technology vendors, Huawei and ranked 50 operators in 36 has a good working relationship for more than one billion users worldwide. Huawei is committed to providing innovative and customized products, services and solutions, thus creating long-term customer value and growth potential. In the terminal area, Huawei's terminal products cover mobile broadband terminals, mobile phones, converged devices, and video terminals four groups. The release of the Android smart phone, once again demonstrates Huawei's terminal on the market of professional standards. U8230 embodied in the body design and good quality public is Huawei's R & D team in China a great deal of innovative work carried out the crystallization.

Huawei's representative office head of the French Sun Ao, said: "We and Bouygues Telecom have only recently begun co-operation is not. In this year, Huawei once with Bouygues Telecom to launch the E180, D100 mobile broadband terminals several end-products . Thus, the jointly issued with the Bouygues Android â„¢ Mobile U8230 is the natural re-cooperation, also marks Huawei's European marketing strategy has taken a new step. "

Bouygues Telecom Bouygues CEO, said: "We are very pleased to cooperate with Huawei, and in the French market to launch its first own-brand smart phones U8230. This is a superior quality of Android phones, a rich application will to a single user experience. years of cooperation allows us to introduce new products on the confidence. "

2009-12-18

Seeing as they've got a hold in the french market, I'm sure they'll be having to provide updates to them, which hopefully we'll be able to use on the pulse

Edited by robot1000

There is still hope people (translated from here)

Seeing as they've got a hold in the french market, I'm sure they'll be having to provide updates to them, which hopefully we'll be able to use on the pulse

I was under the impression that you could only use the 8230 code if you used the 8220 kernel, which to me at least is a problem.

Guest robot1000
I was under the impression that you could only use the 8230 code if you used the 8220 kernel, which to me at least is a problem.

I thought it was the same phone but with a different exterior

I thought it was the same phone but with a different exterior

That was my understanding as well and why Paul was able to extract and build the U8230 rom I am currently using on my phone?

That was my understanding as well and why Paul was able to extract and build the U8230 rom I am currently using on my phone?

I can't remember the thread, but I was under the impression that he used the Pulse's kernel (I think it was something to do with a device ID)

Guest Neondaze

As t-mobile uk are no longer selling the Pulse I would think the chances of an update to 2 or 2.1 are now diminishing.

I was hoping to get one of these next month when I renewed my contract. Not sure what to do now :)

Guest robot1000
As t-mobile uk are no longer selling the Pulse I would think the chances of an update to 2 or 2.1 are now diminishing.

I was hoping to get one of these next month when I renewed my contract. Not sure what to do now :)

You won't be able to, as they'll be gone by next month

Guest Phil Brennan

The answer is dead easy - get yourself a Nexus One.

If I had the money to do it I would.

Phil.

I've just found this article 01/2010

http://androidandme.com/2010/01/news/huawe...nes-to-the-u-s/

If they're planning on releasing the U8220 (which is one of the pics on the slideshow), then there's no doubt they'll have to release an update for the android system

The 8220 is triband, meaning (I think) that it won't even work in America without a hardware reconfiguration.

Triband works in Europe and USA

Ah yes, I just researched it some more. In Europe, triband means it works fine in Europe and Asia and will usually get at least one network in America (eg fine for travelling but not so great for living). In America, triband means the other way around. Still, there would be frequency changes for America (to get good American network coverage), so that would still perhaps need a different model of phone.

Guest chris9181
Mine will be going on eBay next week, all proceeds from it will be going to a Nexus One or Acer Liquid

I don't understand why tho? If u were/are pleased with the phone, what's changed?!

I don't understand why tho? If u were/are pleased with the phone, what's changed?!

The Pulse is a very good budget phone, but as a platform it's not doing too great. Until other carriers pick up the 8220, it will still be on the older 1.5 ROM, which is very different. Whilst the pulse is undoubtably a good phone, the Nexus One is better.

Nothing much, the pulse is just not the device for me, I only ever purchased it as a stop gap, I had had enough of the all crappy iPhone 3G and at the time the Pulse suited my need's.

I may have been a little hasty with my previous statement, I'm quitting smoking and my mood's are all over the place, lol.

Who know's I may yet keep it and get a N1 or Liquid as well.

Also as Bakes points out, it's looking like it will officially be stuck on 1.5, not a good thing as now N1, Droid and Liquid will all have 2.0 at least by summer.

Edited by klutsh

Nothing much, the pulse is just not the device for me, I only ever purchased it as a stop gap, I had had enough of the all crappy iPhone 3G and at the time the Pulse suited my need's.

I may have been a little hasty with my previous statement, I'm quitting smoking and my mood's are all over the place, lol.

Who know's I may yet keep it and get a N1 or Liquid as well.

Also as Bakes points out, it's looking like it will officially be stuck on 1.5, not a good thing as now N1, Droid and Liquid will all have 2.0 at least by summer.

I want 2.0. I will make it happen whatever it takes. If I have the time of course =P