Wow google nexus one is out!

Guest unholygid2006

Guest JDawg183
Now, first of all, there are other platforms that are more mature, with a lot of applications and games written for them.

Personally i went for WM because of the software. Besides the already tons of commercial applications and games, there's a whole community of WM enthousiasts who do provide software goodies (free apps, modding firmware etc). This is just for starters.

Um, i sure hope you are kidding about that. Are you unaware that Androids app store has 20,000 apps all together in one place? And 70% of it is free. Sure there are lots of free applications for WM, but you have to search out and find them. WM marketplace has become a total flop. I check out a lot of tech sites, and I see many many new apps being bragged about for Android, yet I very rarely hear much for WinMo. Lets face it guys, I like WM myself, but it is dying. Unless WM7 is huge, they are not going to have much marketshare at all by the end of next year. Check out this link, Android has already surpassed WM (or WinCE). This is the market share in North America for the last 6 months.

Edited by JDawg183

if i can get ~400USD for my omnia II on ebay, i would definitely switch to the nexus one. The memory issues and lack of good software on the omnia are the main reason for this. Plus, the nexus one is google's flagship phone (manufactured by htc), which means it will have great support from both google and xda. I also wouldn't have to reset my phone every time i install a new rom (why isn't windows update enabled???) to me, its a no brainer. the nexus one also doubles the omnia II's specs.

the one thing i will miss would be fpsece, but it is not as good as i hoped since the omnia II doesn't have multitouch...

i would have liked the HD2, but the price tag is just too high.

PS: im not some android fanboy, i am just getting a bit sick of windows mobile's issues after 3yrs.

Edited by qtilt

Guest Smille123

Google wants all, your money, your brain, your life, and your money again. I will never use any device where all my appointments and other personal data are stored on googles server. The phone doesn´t work without googles server and they do al to get an exact profile of you to make money. When next year google will release their netbooks, more peoples life will getting a googles life, but not mine!

Guest Chris Sim
Omnia 2 has indeed 256 ram and 50 % is reserved from them because Samsung is preparing something for us... :)

They certainly know how to keep secret. Its release almost 6 months already and no one have any information about this secret. B)

Guest Ender Psp
Um, i sure hope you are kidding about that. Are you unaware that Androids app store has 20,000 apps all together in one place? And 70% of it is free. Sure there are lots of free applications for WM, but you have to search out and find them. WM marketplace has become a total flop. I check out a lot of tech sites, and I see many many new apps being bragged about for Android, yet I very rarely hear much for WinMo. Lets face it guys, I like WM myself, but it is dying. Unless WM7 is huge, they are not going to have much marketshare at all by the end of next year. Check out this link, Android has already surpassed WM (or WinCE). This is the market share in North America for the last 6 months.

No, I'm not kidding. As an example, can you say 10 good games for Android without searching for them? I can tell you 20 in a blink, such as Azgard Defence or Quadronica. I don't care too much about where I can find apps as long as I can find them. I will always take quality over convenience. But that's me, I can accept other people are different.

WM has been just managed badly, there was and still is a lack of a proper marketplace, but I wouldn't say it's dieing. I'd wait for WM7 first and then comment on where it goes. Check your own link for Asia, Europe and South America. Or are you thinking that America dictates how the marketplace goes? There aren't that many iPhones here in Europe, that should tell you something about what people prefer no matter what those stats show (I really really doubt 43% of the mobile phones sold in Europe in the last 6 months are iPhones. REALLY)

As for Google, please keep in mind that it's a corporation, so assuming it's doing something for your good it's at least presumptuous. While now they have interest in promoting Android as "free" what are they actually looking for is capture as much of the future market share, in an attempt to monopolize it. I'd be very wary of embracing a company that produces a browser that can uniquely identify you while surfing. I'm not saying Microsoft or Apple or Nokia are saints, I'm just pointing out some interesting facts, that some people might easily miss or ignore as not being part of context. But they're there and that should tell you something.

If we would be talking about what's good for the users, then phones would look different nowadays, don't you think? I'm not necessarily a WM lover but until I have to flash Android on my Omnia 2, please indulge me in pushing forward with WM for making it a better phone for me and for all of us who have and enjoy one :)

Edited by Ender Psp

Guest wookash.p
Sorry... can't do that! It's a surprise that Samsung is preparing for the i8000, b7610 users...

So when is this surprise coming? Is it's no fast, I might not have my Omnia anymore.

Snow02, I'm running L5 ROM, after hard reset I had about 75 RAM free, which was ok. Have applied all

the possible tweaks. Currently I'm running SPB MS3.5 and S2U2, resulting in ca. 55 MB RAM free after

soft reset, which is still bearable.

BUT when I was running any of the so popular shell extensions I love (MobileSense or MSkip's) my post

soft reset free RAM was no more than 25 and after a few hour of usage it was down to 10 and my

camera wouldn't start up.

Come on, admit this is terrible.

And honestly, I doubt Samsung is cooking something up, cause i.e. HD2 users stated that on WinMo 6.5

they also have around 110 MB reserved.

Cheers

Guest Snow02
So when is this surprise coming? Is it's no fast, I might not have my Omnia anymore.

Snow02, I'm running L5 ROM, after hard reset I had about 75 RAM free, which was ok. Have applied all

the possible tweaks. Currently I'm running SPB MS3.5 and S2U2, resulting in ca. 55 MB RAM free after

soft reset, which is still bearable.

BUT when I was running any of the so popular shell extensions I love (MobileSense or MSkip's) my post

soft reset free RAM was no more than 25 and after a few hour of usage it was down to 10 and my

camera wouldn't start up.

Come on, admit this is terrible.

And honestly, I doubt Samsung is cooking something up, cause i.e. HD2 users stated that on WinMo 6.5

they also have around 110 MB reserved.

Cheers

Edited by Snow02

Guest awarner (MVP)

Motorola may be high MP but unless the optics are any good then MP means nothing.

The nexus one has the best of the Omnia 2 (screen) and the HD2 (CPU) but android is still in it's infancy so only time will tell.

Guest bobobird

There a still a number of unanswered questions about the N1

- camera picture and video quality.

- speed of satnav fix and availabilty of good 3rd party GPS apps. Google maps is fine but I am sure that not many would want to have an always open internet connection to be able to use it.

- multi format media playback support like with Touch Player which can playback almost any format.

Guest Chris Sim
There a still a number of unanswered questions about the N1

- camera picture and video quality.

- speed of satnav fix and availabilty of good 3rd party GPS apps. Google maps is fine but I am sure that not many would want to have an always open internet connection to be able to use it.

- multi format media playback support like with Touch Player which can playback almost any format.

i totally agreed with you on these points. until these point is cleared then we, consumers, will knows whether its worth the money or we r paying part of529 USD for google and HTC branding....

Guest mccmjoon76

One thing for sure..my omnia 2 can do video call :) Nexus one i don't think so.. B) ;) he he..

Edited by mccmjoon76

Android is not as functional as WM yet. They'll probably both progress fast in the next couple of years. I guess if you use gmail for e-mail/contacts/calendaring etc. then it will be better.

I think I can set up my Omnia II to be close to a perfect device, but partly that's because I use Exchange. I think MS needs a free consumer version of exchange to compete with gmail.

Guest surgex

Android is just like the iphone.  A phone you bought and paid for with your own money does not come out of the box with root access unless you get a developers model.  This is trusted computing re-packaged, and it's 100% bullshit.  Also, Android is such an immature OS -- especially in multimedia.

Out of the box I believe the only video format the nexus one supports is .mp4 and that's it.  No AVI or XVID, nothing like that.  No tethering, no video calling, what about VOIP?  Do they block that as well?  Also I beleive someone said theres no FM radio on the nexus, Engadget said otherwise yesterday with their phone teardown...they said it has a receiver and transmitter.  

Also, I really don't like what Google is doing to users of non-android devices.

See for the Android devices, the users get premium Google Apps (Maps with Navigation, Youtube with HD streaming, etc..), but the users of WM and Symbian who use those apps get the old versions that are _never_updated_ and have tons of bugs, and tons of lacking features.  That is not like Google to do something like that, they are changing, and not for the good, believe me.  

And -- WM7 is going to be shown at MWC, and it will be huge.  

Android is such an immature OS -- especially in multimedia.

Out of the box I believe the only video format the nexus one supports is .mp4 and that's it. No AVI or XVID.

See for the Android devices, the users get premium Google Apps (Maps with Navigation, Youtube with HD streaming, etc..), but the users of WM and Symbian who use those apps get the old versions that are _never_updated_ and have tons of bugs, and tons of lacking features. That is not like Google to do something like that, they are changing, and not for the good, believe me.

actually the N1 can both encode and decode H.263, H.264, and MPEG-4. And with the snapdragon cpu, i doubt that it wouldn't be able to software decode xvid soon.

To your other point, it is indeed a shame with google's lack of care for other OSs. However, WM has almost no decent support from any developers anyways (have you seen WM marketplace?) pathetic! developers go to the platforms that have the most users. With the amount of WM users dwindling, i doubt this fact will change any time soon.

actually the N1 can both encode and decode H.263, H.264, and MPEG-4. And with the snapdragon cpu, i doubt that it wouldn't be able to software decode xvid soon.

To your other point, it is indeed a shame with google's lack of care for other OSs. However, WM has almost no decent support from any developers anyways (have you seen WM marketplace?) pathetic! developers go to the platforms that have the most users. With the amount of WM users dwindling, i doubt this fact will change any time soon.

Yes, but I believe the video has to be in .mp4 container.  No support for .avi or .mkv or anything else without hacks, and no way to add support since there's no multimedia API available to the public, and google rigidly controlls all APIs, developers have no control and all they can do is create apps that use existing APIs.  That's the thing about android that I don't like at all...

http://mobileosgi.blogspot.com/ has a good synopsis...

"Android is a platform the developer community can create innovative mobile applications for. However, much of the community's creativity and power remains untapped. Why? There are barriers for developers to contribute to the platform. First, the Android project is solely and rigidly controlled by Google. Second, the Android application & distribution model is designed to have 3rd parties create apps, not APIs or middleware. This presentations discusses these limitations and presents the concept of OSGi, an Open Services & Middleware Platform as an enabler for 3rd party platform innovation."

There are of course positives to this, meaning it's easier to make simple apps that just pull web content, etc. (like all the thousands of apps in the android marketplace and iphone appstore), but if you wanted to do something a bit more difficult like access a hardware decoder to support different video formats than what is supported out of box, it makes it almost impossible.

Edited by surgex

Guest La Traviata
However, WM has almost no decent support from any developers anyways (have you seen WM marketplace?) pathetic! developers go to the platforms that have the most users. With the amount of WM users dwindling, i doubt this fact will change any time soon.

I check out a lot of tech sites, and I see many many new apps being bragged about for Android, yet I very rarely hear much for WinMo. Lets face it guys, I like WM myself, but it is dying. Unless WM7 is huge, they are not going to have much marketshare at all by the end of next year.

I agree. I was all set to get the O2 because it has good HW specs and I have invested quite a few dollars in WM apps, but that reserved RAM issue has really put me off and with all the hype surrounding Android and iPhone, whereas WM is almost universally painted as outdated, I doubt many exciting new apps will be coming our way going forward. The only ones I can think of recently were Resco Photo Manager (which just does what your phone should be able to do anyway) and SPB Flash Cards. So perhaps it is time to jump ship after all. I'm still hoping for a fix for the RAM issue, or a new killer WM phone to emerge, but I'm now also keeping an eye on the SE X10, N1 (although I don't like HTC) and Motorola Milestone and XT701. I know the X10 will supposedly only run Android 1.6, but I had good experiences with SE in my pre-WM days and the camera and media player look pretty capable.

One thing I'm a bit wary of though is Google's stated commitment to making money from advertising. The last thing I want is (potentially) getting ads sent to my phone or popping up every time I open my mobile browser, or having to pay not to get them.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/914...evenue_strategy

Edited by La Traviata

Guest Ender Psp

Some "good news" that show why Android platform has a lot to prove, yet. And don't give me crap like the platform is not the same with the marketplace because you've been praising exactly the markeplace from Android and their free stuff. Sorry for the style, no flaming meant but people need to understand some differences well before they make a decision. Android is not mature yet, imho. This thing never happened to Apple, for example. Your choice, though.

Guest La Traviata
This thing never happened to Apple, for example. Your choice, though.

Once Apple decide to put a decent camera on the iPhone I will definitely consider it. SPs lowering their ridiculously over-priced iPhone tariff charges would help too. I love the apps and accessories for the iPhone, but right now it still has too many niggles for me to be able to justify the expense, either on a contract or SIM free.

Guest is77gal

Well I have my O2 for about 6 months now and I`m about 70-80% satisfied with it. The main issues are as follows: 1. ram=yes I think restarting the phone once every 4/5 days or less depending on usage is annoying and frustrating and smthg should be done VERY SOON(for you SAMSUNG to hear)

2. I bought the O2 mostly because I did`nt want an iPhone and because of its specs, also the O2 being my first WM phone. I love it for the way touchwiz looks and I dare any one to say otherwise because I doubt you never had a Nokia...and the interface looks like the one a nokia a lot. Also touchwiz is very good lookalike of iPhone interface, the only issue being the O2 movement of menus. I believe that touchwiz is the easiest ui out there, besides the retarded iPhone.

3. I`m disappointed with FB, Youtube, IM clients for WM....pretty rudimentary. Also a disappointment are the games for O2...I once played a diablo like game on a friends iPhone...superb...O2 lacks proper games to take advantage of hardware accelaration.

4. A bit more eyecandy here and there from Samsung would go a long way, maybe an overview of Office mobile, an improved browser and the only real thing lacking is multitouch...but that you need only in games.

P.S. I now have at my disposal a HD2 and believe me whe I say that the touchwiz ui is more conventional and more capable of adopting new users than SenseUI, which is easy but eventualy you have to revert to using WM menus and UI...horrible... I think

GIVE ME RAM AND SPEED AND I`LL BUY 1000 O2...HD2 TOO BIG. it says so even on the box

Guest bobobird

Another review here

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/reviews/201...-one-review.ars

Not too bad overall.

Only problem is that the writer does not have the "I want it to behave like my PC + PMP + tablet + ebook reader + xbox + wii +++" expectations of some here. :)

Maybe the best way is for somehere to get the N1 and then do a comparison with the O2 ??

Edited by bobobird

• 1 month later...
Guest babyjosef17
Only problem is that the writer does not have the "I want it to behave like my PC + PMP + tablet + ebook reader + xbox + wii +++" expectations of some here. :(

@jacobong

I hope you come across this topic.

Because after I read this line, You are the first person that came into my mind. 54 post of all complains and complains of a complain. :(