Broken USB port

Guest Midos

Guest jamesfox.
Seems like the only way to get a positive outcome, would be to take legal action - https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp

This is certainly our next route. However, we are awaiting a written response from T-Mobile rather than a phonecall. Once we have this, I will take that and some of the information gathered on here about people with identical problems back into trading standards. Hopefully this is a battle we can all win and I emplore you to keep on going! I will keep you updated with my story.

Guest robot1000
This is certainly our next route. However, we are awaiting a written response from T-Mobile rather than a phonecall. Once we have this, I will take that and some of the information gathered on here about people with identical problems back into trading standards. Hopefully this is a battle we can all win and I emplore you to keep on going! I will keep you updated with my story.

You would probably be able to resolve the issue quicker by going down the legal route rather then just Trading Standards.

I'm pretty sure they'll settle this Out of Court, but you never really know with these companies

Guest jamesfox.
You would probably be able to resolve the issue quicker by going down the legal route rather then just Trading Standards.

I'm pretty sure they'll settle this Out of Court, but you never really know with these companies

I am sure you are quite right. Just trying to follow all procedures properly, and get everything in writing before going to small claims court, but I know this is almost inevitable. I think it is absolutely disgusting how they have treated not only myself, but others too.

Guest jamesfox.
My port is sticking out at a very slight angle and I'm just hoping it doesnt pop out! They definately appear to be poorly designed.

Quickly take it into the shop for repair, it sounds as if it is at the end of it's life (already) and they should repair it unless it completely comes off.

The devilish side of me would like it to break so I have another person on our side. But I won't wish it on you.. aha!

Guest david_dawkins

Same thing happened to me today, socket is flapping about and it won't charge :D Took it into the T-Mo shop, and they've sent it for repair. I'm back on my MDA Mail. Spare a thought for me.

Guest jamesfox.

Surely with so many people getting the same problem there should be records of it? And therefore it's more and more likely to be a manufactuing fault they need to investigate..

My USB cable when connected to the computer stops charging at 98% of battery...looking closely at the usb port on Pulse, it looks it loose and stick out from the slot...I don't think it is broken as it is charging at least upto 98%...but why stop at 98%?

Guest dundee18
Here is an update of what happened to me with my broken USB port -

I called T-Mobile and they said to take it to the shop for them to send of to the repair centre but they also said that if it was physical damage they would not fix it. I also called Consumer Direct and they gave me some interesting advice.

Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 As Amended - the contract is with T-Mobile not the manufacturer so don't let T-Mobile pan you off.

They said try the polite route first taking the phone in to ask them to repair it.

If no satisfaction then write them a letter - a template can be downloaded from their website - consumerdirect.gov.uk and send it to a person in authority stating that the phone was not of satisfactory quality.

They also said that in the first 6 months the burden of proof is on the seller i.e. they have to prove that the customer did something to break it not the customer prove that there is a problem. Also I may need to get an independant report on the damage that the costs of can be claimed against T-Mobile to prove it was a manufacturing fault.

I took the phone in and they sent it off. It has been away about a week. Could take between 2-4 weeks they said. I suspect that I will need to write to them as they will claim "physical damage".

If still no success after the sending a letter then I need to get back in touch with consumer direct.

They were pretty confident that it should be sorted by T-Mobile. The choices are repaired, replaced or refund but the option is up to T-Mobile. Only a judge in a small claims court can say differently.

Consumer Direct seemed pretty confident that it would be sorted out but may be a longer process.

They also said that if you paid by credit card then under Section 75 Consumer Credit Act, if the cost of the product is over £100 then the credit card company have a responsibility also so I can make a claim against them at the same time. Both can run in parallel but obviously once one have come through you drop the claim with the other. I still need to do this.

I suggest that it may be good for others to contavt Consumer Direct as well as it may give them an idea about how many people have a problem with this.

I have also contacted a solictor friend and he does not see any problem about getting T-Mobile to solve this. He said to he would help if needed.

I have also posted this reply in this thread http://android.modaco.com/index.php?act=Po...mp;qpid=1175408 .

I have also contacted a solictor friend and he does not see any problem about getting T-Mobile to solve this. He said to he would help if needed.

Hope this helps others. I am determined to follow this through until I get a satisfactory answer.

Update on my situation. My phone had been away for 2 weeks when I received a text from TMobile that my phone was back and to come and collect it. When I went into the shop they told me that they had replaced the mainboard in the phone as it was too difficult to repair. He looked at the phone and said that it was the same case but a new inside. I am not sure as the screen now has protection on it again as I took the original off.

It is now working and charging, hopefully no more problems.

I didn't do anything different to what I explained in the post above. Hope other get their phones sorted. Willing to help if I can but don't know why they fixed mine as the fault was the same as others have.

Regards,

dundee18

Guest jamesfox.

Very good news, maybe they are starting to realise there is a fault across the board and they will start rolling out more refunds/full repairs instead of fobbing us off.

Certainly sounds good for anyone with the issue as there is now a precedent for repair. I looked at the pulse before settling on the hero (actually because the build quality of that area in particular looked poor- the demo one in my local T-Mobile store had a dodgy-feeling usb. Guess it was due to the rough handling etc.)

Guest Spook Tooth

It's very troubling to hear of these poor manufacture quality issues. particularly as I bought 3 Pulses (one for me and the others as presents).

I'm glad to see that at least one person has had success in getting a deserved replacement/fixed phone and hope all others do too. In fact I'd be angry to find anyone left out of pocket with no avenue for their complaints to be addressed, other than to take legal action.

I'd like to find out what Hauwei's opinion was on all of this, since the problem with the poorly connected USB charging port is inherently their own fault.

Good luck and nice to read of your fighting spirit, jamesfox. I'm glad you're not taking no as an answer and am fully supportive of your position. :(

Dundee, that's great news. Just to clarify, did you end up sending a letter or did T-Mobile just fix it for you as is? If you sent a letter, which one from the Consumer Direct one did you send?

Guest dundee18
Dundee, that's great news. Just to clarify, did you end up sending a letter or did T-Mobile just fix it for you as is? If you sent a letter, which one from the Consumer Direct one did you send?

I didn't send any letter. Just called customer services and they instructed me to take it to the shop for repair. I was apprehensive about them posibly not repairing it, as others have experienced, so was ready for a "conversation" about it but they just went through the process and sent it off for repair. In fact they indicated that if I had bought it in the shop instead of online they might have replaced it their and then.

I was told it could take between 2-4 weeks, the written info they gave me said 14 days, and 14 days later I received a text on their replacement phone that my phone was repaired and to come and collect it.

When I went to the shop it turned out that they had replaced the internal board and screen. The downside was that I had unlocked the old phone and purchased some apps. I now need to pay to have the new phone unlocked - such is life. The main issue is that I cannot find the apps that I purchased in the "My Download" section of the marketplace. I though they were suppose to be there for me to redownload if required or am I missing something? Any advice in this area would be greatly received.

Thanks and I hope that other get their phones fixed or replaced also.

Regards,

Dundee18

Guest Spook Tooth
I though they were suppose to be there for me to redownload if required or am I missing something? Any advice in this area would be greatly received.

That's interesting - I assume you've set your Pulse up using the same google account? If so, I guess you need to contact Google Checkout customer service and explain your Pulse was replaced under warranty. It has a different IMEI I suppose? This to me, must be why your downloads are not showing in your account.

checkout.google.co.uk/

Choose "Google Checkout Buyer Help", then "contact us".

Guest Lola Cherry Cola

Hey all,

I actually signed up to offer my two pence worth to this thread.

I had the same problem with my Pulse and after googling it I found this thread and thought "oh heck". So I toddled off to my local T Mobile shop all revved up and ready, just in case they kicked up a fuss about physical damage. But I had no problems at all, they took it back and sent it off for repair. It came back three weeks later, and like dundee18's phone they had replaced the main board and repaired the usb port.

Just thought that may help anyone else who is struggling to get theirs repaired.

Guest Midos

Another update from me. I think I'm cursed: I rang Consumer Direct and they said that I should write a letter to T-Mobile (not sure what good that's going to do) and have an "independent review" of the phone by a certifiable expert to say that it's not my fault. They suggested another phone shop, but of course the Pulse is only stocked by T-Mobile. I wonder if – given the number of other people on this thread with this problem – T-Mobile might be more amenable to fixing mine, in the way that Apple have from time to time made blanket pledges to fix defective models, no questions asked? Sigh – if anyone has any advice, I'd be grateful!

Guest iammodo

Having had a look at the mainboard of the pulse today, It is a very bad design,

The USB port is not ankered into the board at all.

And was told by a T-mobile tech. That this is the most common problem with the phone.

I shall ask him at work tomoz, If its an in warranty repair.

Guest iammodo
Another update from me. I think I'm cursed: I rang Consumer Direct and they said that I should write a letter to T-Mobile (not sure what good that's going to do) and have an "independent review" of the phone by a certifiable expert to say that it's not my fault. They suggested another phone shop, but of course the Pulse is only stocked by T-Mobile. I wonder if – given the number of other people on this thread with this problem – T-Mobile might be more amenable to fixing mine, in the way that Apple have from time to time made blanket pledges to fix defective models, no questions asked? Sigh – if anyone has any advice, I'd be grateful!

Midos, I will be asking at work tomorrow about this as T-mobile do not do repairs.,

They use a 3rd party repair centre.

Guest iammodo
Midos, I will be asking at work tomorrow about this as T-mobile do not do repairs.,

They use a 3rd party repair centre.

Just checked broken usb port is in warranty and fine to repair.

broken headphone is counted as customer damage.

Guest kingswood

My Pulse has fallen upon the same fate...barely 3 months in use and the usb connector has 'fallen in'. The T-Mobile store on Oxford Street accepted it as a warranty repair no questions asked (took the phone but nothing else - not even the back cover). Only problem is that it takes 2 weeks to get it back and no, they dont give Pulses as loan phones.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest meinnit

I borrowed a Blackberry micro USB cable to charge my phone and noticed that it slides in and out of the USB port with very little force compared to the supplied cable. I decided to order my own cable from eBay which I find is so much easier on the USB port and should hopefully make it last longer. Would highly recomended changing the cable over. Its only slightly shorter than the supplied cable but you can purchase an extention cable to make it however long you want.

Hope this helps some people!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=370332580623

Guest wassupjg
I borrowed a Blackberry micro USB cable to charge my phone and noticed that it slides in and out of the USB port with very little force compared to the supplied cable. I decided to order my own cable from eBay which I find is so much easier on the USB port and should hopefully make it last longer. Would highly recomended changing the cable over. Its only slightly shorter than the supplied cable but you can purchase an extention cable to make it however long you want.

Hope this helps some people!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=370332580623

Thanks mate, appreciate this info.