Rom Dump/Build Application

Guest wes58

Guest wes58
the CSC build function in 2.2.2 do not work 100%.... sometimes it will report the CSC file is invalid, sometimes not, but the after flash the CSC file, there's no battery graph when charge without turn on the phone, and there's no download graph during flash the rom.

Change back to romtool 2.0.3, the same procedure to build a new CSC without such issue.

Yes, I noticed this yesterday, I am not sure why. I modified this in version 2.2.2, thought to make it the same as some of the Samsung's single csc files, but sometimes it doesn't work correctly.

So I think I will have to change it back to the way it was in previous versions. So if you are trying to build a csc use versions prior to 2.2.2.

Guest fenixer

The applications are the OrientationDetection opera10 the S2U2 and softresetcab

If you convert a cab file to a package it's not necessarily going to work. You may not have some registry entries that are created during setup.dll (when you run installation from the cab file).

The best way to check if you have all the registry entries is to:

1. backup your registry

2. install you application from the cab

3. backup your registry again

4. compare both registry files and look for the changes that can be related to your application.

5. add all the registry keys that you found to the registry file in you oem application.

What is the program that you tried to convert? Maybe someone already has done it and can help you?

Guest enrico988
The applications are the OrientationDetection opera10 the S2U2 and softresetcab

As wes said, you have to make a dump of the registry (you can use skTools) immediately before and immediately after installing the single app, but only when the cab has a setup.dll installing method.

Then use WinMerge to compare the 2 files dumped, save those differences on a reg file (with right syntax), and import them in the cab. Now you can remove setup.dll from the cab and create a working OEM pack.

Hope it helps ;)

Guest wes58
As wes said, you have to make a dump of the registry (you can use skTools) immediately before and immediately after installing the single app, but only when the cab has a setup.dll installing method.

Then use WinMerge to compare the 2 files dumped, save those differences on a reg file (with right syntax), and import them in the cab. Now you can remove setup.dll from the cab and create a working OEM pack.

Hope it helps ;)

Ther reason why fenixer put the names of applications was because if someone had already created packages for them, they could help him instead of 're-inventing the wheel' and spending time on something that is already done.

To compare registry I use CERegEditor (I think there is a link to this application on Modaco).

I use opera 10 but I don't put it on my rom since I install it on 'My Storage' to save main storage space and also if there are updates you can easily overwrite original files. If you want to put some applications on the rom, it is only worth for the application that are not likely to have many upgrades - that's my opionion. I use Sashimi to restore applications and some registry settings.

So with opera, I install it on my Storage first time. Then I modify the cab to use it for next installations with Sashimi after rom changes. What I do is - delete all the files from the cab except for the files that are installed in \Windows folder (if there are any).

When you run installation it doesn't overwrite your files from previous installation (you keep all your bookmarks, saved pages etc) and it only modifies registry settings by setup.dll.

I know that when you look at Sashimi first you get scared, that it looks so complicated (it took me a while before I got convinced to using it) but once you set it up it's easy to restore your applications after rom flash.

Guest fenixer

that must be removed to leave only the Windows interface.

as I can make the icons go in my Menú Inicio on start menu instead of .

I just do not recognize the beginning (ú)

Guest wes58
that must be removed to leave only the Windows interface.

as I can make the icons go in my Menú Inicio on start menu instead of .

I just do not recognize the beginning (ú)

Sorry, I am not sure what you mean here?

Guest wes58

Added Version 2.2.3. to first post

- Fixed a bug with building of csc files - loosing csc binaries (images for charging, rom download...)

- added an option to change csc version (update in csc file and in CSCConfig.reg in the csc file), and csc pda version (this is probably not very important).

Guest Gary Crutcher

Wes,

Any way to do multiple selections vs. single click selection on files you want to delete?

For example: highlight 1 file, go down 15 files and do shift+select = 15s file selected.

Some folders are over 100 files I need to delete and 100+ clicks is rather tedious.

Edited by Gary Crutcher

Guest wes58
Wes,

Any way to do multiple selections vs. single click selection on files you want to delete?

For example: highlight 1 file, go down 15 files and do shift+select = 15s file selected.

Some folders are over 100 files I need to delete and 100+ clicks is rather tedious.

Sorry, Gary but the way it is currently done it is not easy to do.

There are some good reasons that I thought being able to select one file at time is better. It makes you look and check if that's really the file you want to remove. And you really do it once. Later on you may add one or more files.

Currently when you open the log file it has files highlighted which can be removed from the selected folder. I was thinking maybe I should change it to only display the files that can be deleted (or have an option to select to see all files or only the ones that are highlighted?).

Besides, after so many roms that you have already built, I wouldn't think that you will still go through selection of hundreds of files (at least I am not doing it) and would be re-using you previous logs?

The other thing that I was thinking of, is whether having different log folders (log_liite, log_ultralite - you could give them some meaningful names) which you could select for different builds (with different log files in each) would be a good idea? But you would still have to have different rom folders for different versions because your oem for lite rom would be different from oem for ultralite?

You also know that you can create a log file manually? You can have a list of files saved in a txt file (with a command dir c:\your path > filelist.txt) and export it to excel. You could than delete the files that you don't want. Even write a simple macro to put [ ] if it was a directory, and then save is as a log file.

Guest Gary Crutcher
Sorry, Gary but the way it is currently done it is not easy to do.

There are some good reasons that I thought being able to select one file at time is better. It makes you look and check if that's really the file you want to remove. And you really do it once. Later on you may add one or more files.

Currently when you open the log file it has files highlighted which can be removed from the selected folder. I was thinking maybe I should change it to only display the files that can be deleted (or have an option to select to see all files or only the ones that are highlighted?).

Besides, after so many roms that you have already built, I wouldn't think that you will still go through selection of hundreds of files (at least I am not doing it) and would be re-using you previous logs?

The other thing that I was thinking of, is whether having different log folders (log_liite, log_ultralite - you could give them some meaningful names) which you could select for different builds (with different log files in each) would be a good idea? But you would still have to have different rom folders for different versions because your oem for lite rom would be different from oem for ultralite?

You also know that you can create a log file manually? You can have a list of files saved in a txt file (with a command dir c:\your path > filelist.txt) and export it to excel. You could than delete the files that you don't want. Even write a simple macro to put [ ] if it was a directory, and then save is as a log file.

Thanks for the reply.

One folder I had not gone through was the SYS\Themes folder - 300+ files.

Was just trying to find an easy way to do this. I knew about using the DIR cmd, but was just being lazy.

Guest wes58
Thanks for the reply.

One folder I had not gone through was the SYS\Themes folder - 300+ files.

Was just trying to find an easy way to do this. I knew about using the DIR cmd, but was just being lazy.

Well, I have a sys.log file with 1600 entries - when I had full rollouts of new OS sys with different resolutions and languages...

Guest GanjaShelter

hi

sry for my stupid questions, but if i open a log file there are entries, but ive not done anything. can i delete them and create new? are this templates? should i delete them or use them and add my files? are the files in the log in all rom languages present (but hiden)?

sry if i anoys you but i will begin coocking and need inforamtions. serching through the forum is veeeery hard, i read and read and read but i dont find much or usefull.

i will reduce the sice, mainstorage, ram usage to a minimum and would try to do a multilingual rom (english and german).

k.r.

Guest wes58
hi

sry for my stupid questions, but if i open a log file there are entries, but ive not done anything. can i delete them and create new? are this templates? should i delete them or use them and add my files? are the files in the log in all rom languages present (but hiden)?

sry if i anoys you but i will begin coocking and need inforamtions. serching through the forum is veeeery hard, i read and read and read but i dont find much or usefull.

i will reduce the sice, mainstorage, ram usage to a minimum and would try to do a multilingual rom (english and german).

k.r.

You can delete the log files and start creating your own.

Log files are just text files, you can create them from my application or you can use any text editor and delete/add any files/folders that are listed there.

You have to remember that in the log file, folder names are enclosed with [ ].

So for example if you have log list like this for SYS.LOG:

[CommonEA]

[CHome_Lang_0C0A]

[CHome_Lang_0816]

[CHome_Lang_0809]

This means that all the entries are folders,

And something like this for OEMAPP.LOG:

Midomi.exe.0409.mui

Midomi.exe.0408.mui

Midomi.exe.0407.mui

Midomi.exe.0406.mui

Midomi.exe.0405.mui

midomi.exe

midomi.480x800.dll

Means that all the entries are files

Guest GanjaShelter
You can delete the log files and start creating your own.

Log files are just text files, you can create them from my application or you can use any text editor and delete/add any files/folders that are listed there.

You have to remember that in the log file, folder names are enclosed with [ ].

So for example if you have log list like this for SYS.LOG:

[CommonEA]

[CHome_Lang_0C0A]

[CHome_Lang_0816]

[CHome_Lang_0809]

This means that all the entries are folders,

And something like this for OEMAPP.LOG:

Midomi.exe.0409.mui

Midomi.exe.0408.mui

Midomi.exe.0407.mui

Midomi.exe.0406.mui

Midomi.exe.0405.mui

midomi.exe

midomi.480x800.dll

Means that all the entries are files

ok, ty very much.

is there a way to view the hidden partition? can i modify it? what can i do with the dump of the other "dsk"-files?

lists the prog completle all fiels? or are there even more, but hidden? can i make them sightable or can i delete some (f.e. files for other languages)?

k.r.

Guest wes58
ok, ty very much.

k.r.

You can view hidden partion with, for example, WinHex. What and why would you like to modify it?

is there a way to view the hidden partition? can i modify it?

I am not sure what "dump of other dsk files" you mean?

what can i do with the dump of the other "dsk"-files?

I don't know what you mean here?

lists the prog completle all fiels? or are there even more, but hidden? can i make them sightable or can i delete some (f.e. files for other languages)?

Guest GanjaShelter

ive dumped my phone with EXEcutor, and there i can choose "partitions" to dump, and the dumpresult is named "dsk#".

in the dump, are there hidden files wich the romtool couldn't list?

ive heared that in the hidden partition are some files and programs (f.e. this dictionary) and i will delete all useless files to become more memory.

sry for my bad english

Guest wes58
ive dumped my phone with EXEcutor, and there i can choose "partitions" to dump, and the dumpresult is named "dsk#".

in the dump, are there hidden files wich the romtool couldn't list?

ive heared that in the hidden partition are some files and programs (f.e. this dictionary) and i will delete all useless files to become more memory.

sry for my bad english

I have never used EXEcutor to dump rom. What I do is put Sorg's application dskdump.exe on the 'Storage Card' on the phone. Run it and it will create rom_dump.bin on 'Storage Card'. That's the file you use to dump rom files in my application.

I have just tried EXEcutor, the file that you can use to dump rom is dsk1.bin. Don't worry about any other files.

Guest GanjaShelter
I have never used EXEcutor to dump rom. What I do is put Sorg's application dskdump.exe on the 'Storage Card' on the phone. Run it and it will create rom_dump.bin on 'Storage Card'. That's the file you use to dump rom files in my application.

I have just tried EXEcutor, the file that you can use to dump rom is dsk1.bin. Don't worry about any other files.

can you open the other dsk files? is there any usefull in? or can i modify it to become more space?

whats with the hidden partition? can i modify it to become more space? will it be usefull?

k.r.

Guest wes58
can you open the other dsk files? is there any usefull in? or can i modify it to become more space?

whats with the hidden partition? can i modify it to become more space? will it be usefull?

k.r.

Hidden partition is part of "My Storage" disk. When you flash original samsung rom (.mst file), part of this file (with .mli extension) is stored in this partition. This file is like a rom backup and also is used when you want to change the language of your phone. You don't want to modify it, it takes 500MB of My Storage, but if you start playing with it, and you don't know what you are doing, you risk losing "My Storage". You can read some threads on Modaco about it.

You can't do anything with the other 'dsk' files. They are just dumps of different parts of the phone like My Storage, Storage Card etc.

Guest GanjaShelter
Hidden partition is part of "My Storage" disk. When you flash original samsung rom (.mst file), part of this file (with .mli extension) is stored in this partition. This file is like a rom backup and also is used when you want to change the language of your phone. You don't want to modify it, it takes 500MB of My Storage, but if you start playing with it, and you don't know what you are doing, you risk losing "My Storage". You can read some threads on Modaco about it.

You can't do anything with the other 'dsk' files. They are just dumps of different parts of the phone like My Storage, Storage Card etc.

ok

ty very much

wes58, finally I had chance to flash the ROM and it did change to the wince.nls I want. Interesting to find out that the tools actually change the size of wince.nls to the same size of the orginal one.

Thanks again.

When you dump xip.bin with xipport and then press "make pkgs", xip files/modules are split into packages. To make xip_out.bin you have to press "undo" to convert packages back to normal dump with files and modules. If you don't do that you will get the massage about missing langdb.txt file.

If you make any changes to xip files modules (adding a file with different size you may have to run reallocation.

Guest jackyaway

Hi wes!

today i tried to cook a ROM with WM6.5 build 21899 as i always done, but this time i encountered an error whit imgfsfromdump in romtool v2.2.3. Imgfsfromdump.exe doesn't create imgfs-new.bin because the size is too big (???) and the build failed. So i find at xda-forum this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=610713 and using imgfsfromdump.exe 2.1 (i don't use 2.2 version because syntax seems different), the build process finished correctly and the new rom works nice. So i ask to you how is it possible? and if can you integrate 2.2 version in your fantastic romtool.exe ;)

Thank you! Bye

Guest wes58
Hi wes!

today i tried to cook a ROM with WM6.5 build 21899 as i always done, but this time i encountered an error whit imgfsfromdump in romtool v2.2.3. Imgfsfromdump.exe doesn't create imgfs-new.bin because the size is too big (???) and the build failed. So i find at xda-forum this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=610713 and using imgfsfromdump.exe 2.1 (i don't use 2.2 version because syntax seems different), the build process finished correctly and the new rom works nice. So i ask to you how is it possible? and if can you integrate 2.2 version in your fantastic romtool.exe ;)

Thank you! Bye

There were two versions of imgfFromDump.exe for 'small' and 'big' roms. The one that was included with my application was the version for 'big' roms ver. 2.1rc2. If you had the problem 'size too big' message, it means you must have copied different version of imgfsFromDump into your 'Tools' folder. I saw version 2.2 Turbo (not created by original programmer of imgfsFromDump) a while a go and also read some comment on xda-developers from people having problems with imgfs.bin built by this version, roms not booting etc. That's why I decided to stick to the older (slower) version that worked.

Unless there are more people that want to use version 2.2 I would leave it as it is. Here is the link to xda-developers website http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=610713 if someone wants to read more about this version.