Compcache - Yea or Nay

Guest PhonePersona

Guest teknologist
I'm running MCR 3.1 with stock kernel and my phone ran for over 200 hours without any slowdowns and the battery life is outstanding.

Compared to stock kernel, my kernel is not only about compcache (in fact it's just one of the items in it). a few things: It enables openVPN tun module, mounting of Windows shares and NFS network volumes, iptables filtering for firewalling and has tweaks that do bring better performance (for example the CPU governor)...

Also my battery is good here 24hrs+ which is enough for me considering I am coming from iPhones.. ;-)

Edited by teknologist

Guest miragebg

now when I am using Modaco 3.2b5 without compcache, do I need activate my swap partition on the sd card using this program- swapdroid? Is there any benefits doing this?

Edited by miragebg

now when I am using Modaco 3.2b5 without compcache, do I need activate my swap partition on the sd card using this program- swapdroid? Is there any benefits doing this?

thats what this threads about - the general feeling seems to be that without compcache/a swap partition it performs the same or possibly a bit better. So you don't need a swap partition. try it out and see what works best with you

Edited by Higgsy

Guest teknologist

To all, I am pretty sure things were not as bad in earlier ROMs (before 3.1/3.2b) ...

Really I don't remember having such a benefit removing compcache !

Anyone ?

I've never removed it before now and the difference is immense.

I saw people saying things like "it's almost too fast!!!1!" etc, and it didn't at all mirror my experience. Without Compcache I think I'm finally getting the same experience.

I should also note that I've recently deleted my EXT partition and that yielded a speed boost too.

Before someone pipes up with talk of Class 6 cards, I have a Class 6 card BUT the class merely gives you an indication of the MINIMUM speed not the MAXIMUM speed and I believe it's possible for a Class 4 card to work faster than a Class 6 card. Perhaps I got a slow one.

Either way, my experience is no CompCache and no Apps2SD = Fast Phone and I'm not looking back!

Thanks to all for the experimentation and discussion.

Guest paolo1976

Just baked my rom without compcache.. it seems faster but i need to use it about 2 days, before this it the period i saw the lag usually... updating.. anyway i'm still using ext4 and app2sd (200+ apps)..

Guest venturerider
Compared to stock kernel, my kernel is not only about compcache (in fact it's just one of the items in it). a few things: It enables openVPN tun module, mounting of Windows shares and NFS network volumes, iptables filtering for firewalling and has tweaks that do bring better performance (for example the CPU governor)...

Impressive! I didn't know it did all that. But I personally don't need any of that stuff, so I'm quite happy to be able to install the stock kernel, which, I assume, has less of what would be bloat for someone like me ;-)

I confirm that disabling compcache improved the phone slugginesh quite alot! Before, with compache enable, the phone was very very slow after 1 day or so, and only way to make it faster was to remove all background tasks with taskpanel.

Now with compcache disabled this doesn't seem to happen anymore. I have quite many apps but not abundantly, I'm not even using the A2SD.

Guest starfarer

OK after seeing so many agreeing on without compcache, I too disabled and have to admit that my Hero was a bit responsive than that was with enable.

Anyway a great idea and development IMO about default memory management here in xda forum http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=622666. Currently I'm testing with CONTENT_PROVIDER=36MB and EMPTY_APP=40MB . I long stopped using 3rd party taskkiller and was looking for something like this.

BTW, thanks for starting this thread.

Edited by starfarer

After nearly 48 hours running without compcache, my phone is still a lot more responsive, particularly just after waking (turning the screen on). Waking from sleep seems to be a particularly busy time for the phone, as it looks for a WiFi connection as well as updating a number of widgets. I wonder whether the additional overhead of compcache at this moment was causing some of the slowdown? My experience, anyway, was that once the phone had finished the set of waking tasks, it was quite responsive again.

The thing I would really like to sort out is the delay in the phone responding to an incoming call. I tested this yesterday without Compcache and there was no significant difference. On a set of calls to a 0844 number diverted sent simultaneously to a landline, a Treo 650 on Orange and the Hero on Orange, the Hero responded (from sleeping) to the incoming call between 8 and 10 seconds after the landline, compared with 1-2 seconds for the Treo. Interestingly, if the Hero is awake, the phone responds around 4 seconds after the landline (flashing trackball followed by the ring tone) again suggesting that there might be a bottleneck of activity around waking up that delays everything.

Guest venturerider
Since when did tweaks become described as bloat?

Unneeded kernel modules taking up space and resources = bloat.

Edited by venturerider

Guest byakkotai
Compcache does not use the SD card, apps2sd does.

You will need either Windows XP or Linux to repartition your SD card.

Ummm, but if I already have a partitioned card do I need the partitions now that I have disabled compcache?

Guest masterpfa
OK after seeing so many agreeing on without compcache, I too disabled and have to admit that my Hero was a bit responsive than that was with enable.

Anyway a great idea and development IMO about default memory management here in xda forum http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=622666. Currently I'm testing with CONTENT_PROVIDER=36MB and EMPTY_APP=40MB . I long stopped using 3rd party taskkiller and was looking for something like this.

BTW, thanks for starting this thread.

Like wise, been using this method for the last day and a half, phone is much improved. Still under observation!!, will try out for 48 hours

Edited by masterpfa

Guest starfarer

Back with compcache as was loosing a bit of "multi-tasking" and waking from sleep was a slower too.

Just wondering how everyone's with disabled compcache doing? especially when run few apps on background, is the app restart from scratch or load instant?

Guest Dan Mullen
To all, I am pretty sure things were not as bad in earlier ROMs (before 3.1/3.2b) ...

Really I don't remember having such a benefit removing compcache !

Anyone ?

Well, in all honesty I have had issues since compcache came along and have said so in a number of topics on here. I've always suspected that it interferes with Android's default memory management (in a negative way), and have noticed a definite performance improvement since I disabled it.