It's official: Android 2.1 delayed

Guest Bart79

Guest erugalatha

as long as 2.1 fixes the battery life I don't care if I have to wait until end of April.

battery life is currently the only fix I need as it is terrible

Guest FenriZ
as long as 2.1 fixes the battery life I don't care if I have to wait until end of April.

battery life is currently the only fix I need as it is terrible

Battery life is 99.9% an app going mad. Check your active time vs uptime.

Guest venturerider
look at it this way guys, there have been numerous leaks for every other htc phone apart from Hero. So yeah....suspicious?

The "leaks" all came from new models.

Guest stevenz
It's a shame, but it's official.

Customer services in Sweden and the Netherlands have now confirmed that 2.1 for the Hero is delayed and will be released at the end of April.

FFS HTC...

Haven't Sprint themselves promised the CDMA version for March sometime?

If they don't intend releasing 2.1 for the Hero they really should just say so, probably better for them as more people would give up waiting and just go get Legends instead.

Guest Don/Donald/Donnie
FFS HTC...

Haven't Sprint themselves promised the CDMA version for March sometime?

If they don't intend releasing 2.1 for the Hero they really should just say so, probably better for them as more people would give up waiting and just go get Legends instead.

There was a time I would have jumped to the Legend but not anymore, I can't expect HTC to continue to release updates for their phones based on their recent behaviours and this is something that is important to me when purchasing a phone. That's their perogative, they don't have to release the latest Android releases just like I don't have to pay a fortune for the privilege of getting access to applications which require 1.6+

I'll stick with my hero until something better comes along that I believe is worth buying and that won't necessarily be an HTC or Android phone. I shelled out full price for my Hero and won't be making that mistake again.

Guest StrongOneX

Yep..

Its official!

Copied from email

New Response From [ Iwona (Nordics Support (Tech)) ]

Dear

Thank you for your enquiry about htc hero.

Some of the phones in our Android line up including your Hero are due to receive an upgrade, and it is scheduled to be released starting at the end of April. Your phone should be upgraded Over-The-Air. You can expect a pop-up message on your phone when connected to the internet once it is ready. When the upgrade is ready, we will notify you via our website and on various social media networks including Twitter and Face book.

If these steps have not helped, please let me know by responding using the link provided and I will be happy to check again for you.

Best regards,

Ivona

HTC customer support team

HTC Corp. Global Service Division

http://www.htc.com/europe/CA_Hotline.aspx

Guest masterpfa

It is unfortunate about the delays in getting 2.1 from HTC. But I satisfy myself by using the CyanogenMOD for Hero (I personally don't need Sense UI) for my 2.1 experience and I prefer it.

Everyone needs to judge their requirements individually. I do not need Bluetooth, I not too bothered about the camera & having used a Pulse while my phone was in for repair, I will never complain about battery life again,( ASOP ROMS are of Marathon proportions compared to the Pulse :) )

For now we can entertain ourselves with all the leaked ROMS for 2.1 or stick with MCR all have their good points (i.e. far superior to stock)

One thing I know, I will not be going out to purchase either the Legend or Desire just to get the 2.1 experience, I would rather wait for my next upgrade.

Disappointed, yes end of the world , no. HTC take your time this user is not budging ;)

Guest dipje
look at it this way guys, there have been numerous leaks for every other htc phone apart from Hero. So yeah....suspicious?

The very first 2.x leak with Sense was a test build for the Hero actually. It had the 'download widgets' interface (and the combined htc widget / android widget thing) in it which is now being shown on the legend and desire.

Remember the first 'community edition 2.x ROM' when it all started? That was just a leaked 2.x rom image with sense and we had no idea for which phone. But clearly not the droid, eris or other non-hero model :).

Guest dipje
1.5 and bluetooth don't work. That's a VERY good reason for HTC to get the 2.1 update to all HERO users IMO. I've paid a lot of money for something that isn't fully functional

Or better yet, blame the site / store at which you bought the phone. In the specs for the Hero was a very clear list of bluetooth profiles supported, and obex and file-transfer was NOT in them. Yes, tech-users would've known from the fact that it runs android 1.x (and they know what it can and can not do) or from (video)interviews and reviews leading up to the launch of the Hero.

But any other (normal) user checks the specs and doesn't see bluetooth file transfer in the list... so they know too :)

Guest starfarer
I'm losing a lot of love for the android movement, the software advances are too slow to roll out (in my experience with HTC and that has been my biggest disappointment). I've said it before though and it's been mentioned here that we have no god-given right for updates but when a phone (the "Magic") reaches the point where it will have no more software releases within a year of being released, it makes me feel that something somewhere just isn't working.

Chances are though that I just had the wrong expectations. I now have a clearer expectation of HTC and Android ... I liked being an early adopter and supporting the movement but I'll jump off the bandwagon now until Android's a bit more grown up.

There was a time I would have jumped to the Legend but not anymore, I can't expect HTC to continue to release updates for their phones based on their recent behaviours and this is something that is important to me when purchasing a phone. That's their perogative, they don't have to release the latest Android releases just like I don't have to pay a fortune for the privilege of getting access to applications which require 1.6+

I too share these thoughts. Next update, I'll have clearer idea of where Android heading to and from the experiences on Hero, I'm definitely not putting HTC on top 3 lists (at least not for Android based).

Guest dipje
I too share these thoughts. Next update, I'll have clearer idea of where Android heading to and from the experiences on Hero, I'm definitely not putting HTC on top 3 lists (at least not for Android based).

Since we're moving offtopic a bit anyway, I'm curious to what your top3 is then? Besides what I think of HTC support and all, they kinda make the devices I'm interested in time and time again. As a hero user right now, the only device I'm really interested in is the Desire. The Nexus One would be a good alternative to think about, but it isn't normally available anytime soon in my country and the Desire is in two to three weeks. The Droid / Milestone is a qwerty device, and already months old so not for me. I didn't see any other brans (samsung, nokia, lg) put any other interesting stuff to the table, android or not. The only thing holding me back from pre-ordering a Desire is that I'm _curious_ as what WinPhone7 is going to come up with... although I already know I'm not going to wait for it.

Guest Remington Steale

The first windows 7 phone slated for release is an LG one but that wont be until at least September.

TBH HTC really are the top company for android phones at the moment, with motorola and maybe samsung next up (although the Sony one coming up may just sneak them in).

Its just that HTC seem to have gone down the route of looking at customers as "units".

Edited by Remington Steale

Guest dr_ysp
Errr what have I said that's wrong? I bought a phone that was/is sold as having bluetooth. I expect that little piece of hardware to work - how silly of me. I don't need stupid comments made about "well if you researched it". The point is, the phone is sold as having bluetooth... So why shouldn't I expect it to work? If it wasn't for the healthy "chef" scene out there I would still be very dissapointed, but due to there hard work I can have bluetooth. And this leads me to the initial topic and my response - HTC SHOULD be getting off there back sides and fixing their problems by issuing an official 2.1 release for the HERO.

i totally agree with u.

though bt functionality is not my basic requirement but i thaught that what NOKIA can give in there very cheap models HTC can give it to HERO, so called most successful, by giving it 2.1 at earliest, but saying that 2.1 with sense takes time for hero, but they can release 2.1 with sense for eris, which a developer can port to hero--- this says they are doing it on purpose, so that hero shouldnt come in the way of there so called new models.