HTC Desire root update

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest doomed_power
Why the upset at the iPhone and Apple.

Has it not occured that our current set of superphones (Desire, Hero, Nexus One, Pre et al) are as a direct result of the work Apple did on the iPhone and bringing it to launch.

I Have both the iPhone and the Desire and still the iPhone blasts the HTC with some of its features inc, Wifi Tether, VPN Connection for IPSEC Groups, App storage management, Speed.

I want both to get better.

Iphone is too slow, too "sweet" and too restricted! GUI is useful, terminal mods are good, BUT god damn iTunes and filesys restrictions, buggy apps and very poor app management system gives us simply unusable device. I've bought iPhone 3G 16Gb about a year ago and have not installed anything for past 6 months, even the cracked apps and music. It's very uncomfortable to use it as anything but the phone, sms/tips manager and youtube client.. Yea, the did a great work to make those GUI-and-so-on, but everything else is just annoing piece of crap. During the first day of Desire usage I've erased iPhone and selled it.

Guest gregDT

Likewise I miss the MaDoCo ROM from my Hero. Amazingly I was told by my phone that with 85 apps already on it I could not install Raging Thunder 2 I'm looking forward being able to dump my apps on my SD card as I did with the Hero. It's not my fault I'm a complete App Junkie ;)

Guest irishandrew
Hey.

It was this weekend he is returning home, correct? ;)

Really looking forward to hear about the root of the Desire.

From Kehaan

Ash plume permitting I'm guessing...

Guest drvdijk
That sucks! No it really sucks!

Jup ;) Means a little longer delay before work possibly starts again for rooting. Bigger bummer for Paul, being stuck somewhere when you want to go home sucks even more

Guest slaguru
Iphone is too slow, too "sweet" and too restricted! GUI is useful, terminal mods are good, BUT god damn iTunes and filesys restrictions, buggy apps and very poor app management system gives us simply unusable device. I've bought iPhone 3G 16Gb about a year ago and have not installed anything for past 6 months, even the cracked apps and music. It's very uncomfortable to use it as anything but the phone, sms/tips manager and youtube client.. Yea, the did a great work to make those GUI-and-so-on, but everything else is just annoing piece of crap. During the first day of Desire usage I've erased iPhone and selled it.

Too slow - LIke the HTC Hero was at launch and still is. The 3Gs is super fast.

Too Sweet ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Too resticted - Cobuggy compared to WinMo, you are right, compared to Android - no way.

Buggy apps - same on every platform.

Poor App management - compared to what ???. At least you can download and use as many apps as the phone storage will take, not like the Android Rom limiter.

Uncomforable to use - never found that myself, but each to there own.

If you can get the Desire to VPN with ease, RDP with ease and Wifi tether with ease get back to me coz I want to do that on mine.

No phone is ALL perfect, I just happen to think the iPhone is better as an every day all purpose smartphone compaired to Android units. I can't wait for an Android phone that kicks Apples arse, that will mean the next iPhone will be even better.

Guest jackdaniels_lee
Too slow - LIke the HTC Hero was at launch and still is. The 3Gs is super fast.

Too Sweet ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Too resticted - Cobuggy compared to WinMo, you are right, compared to Android - no way.

Buggy apps - same on every platform.

Poor App management - compared to what ???. At least you can download and use as many apps as the phone storage will take, not like the Android Rom limiter.

Uncomforable to use - never found that myself, but each to there own.

If you can get the Desire to VPN with ease, RDP with ease and Wifi tether with ease get back to me coz I want to do that on mine.

No phone is ALL perfect, I just happen to think the iPhone is better as an every day all purpose smartphone compaired to Android units. I can't wait for an Android phone that kicks Apples arse, that will mean the next iPhone will be even better.

Sorry dude but the desire does kick the Iphones restrictive, corporate, overmarketed ass!! ;)

Guest slaguru
Sorry dude but the desire does kick the Iphones restrictive, corporate, overmarketed ass!! ;)

I would like to say you are right, but your wrong.

The desire is great, but not perfect. When its rooted, and I can get some of the functionality of my current iPhone I will be a little happier.

OR

If Google would change the SDcard app storage limitation, that would at least allow me to try a bunch of these Android apps that everyone seems to think are so great.

Guest GeoTrail
For us who lives in countries, where it's still not possible to buy applications on the android market, it's a big rush. We need the option to use "Market enabler" as guick as possible, cause we can't by applications without Marketenabler. As far as I know, the Desire needs to be routed, before we can use "market enabler"

So keep up the good work, Paul

Same here.

I went from a Nexus One to a Desire today. Two things I miss on my new device. That is offcourse the MarkedEnabler, and the N1 FlashLight. I used that app everyday when going to bed so I didn't have to wake my girlfriend by turning on the lights in the room. Hopefully that will be available on the Desire too when it gets rooted.

Guest gregDT

Flashlight? There are several on the Market that work on the Desire..... I think?

As to Apple v Android, it's never going to be resolved. Clearly the Desire is a 'better phone'. It's got a bigger higher resolution screen, more RAM and a CPU twice as fast as the iPhone. Is it a better user experience? That's an unanswerable question. It's like saying what's the better colour green or blue. For me I loathe the horrible restrictive lock-in that Apple force down my throat, crappy camera, inability to set the screen(s) up the way I want, the total lack of multitasking ... blah blah blah. But that's me. It's one opinion that's right for me but clearly wrong for many others.

Oh and green is a much better colour than blue, in case you wondered ;)

Guest Don/Donald/Donnie

As to Apple v Android, it's never going to be resolved. Clearly the Desire is a 'better phone'. It's got a bigger higher resolution screen, more RAM and a CPU twice as fast as the iPhone. Is it a better user experience? That's an unanswerable question. It's like saying what's the better colour green or blue. For me I loathe the horrible restrictive lock-in that Apple force down my throat, crappy camera, inability to set the screen(s) up the way I want, the total lack of multitasking ... blah blah blah. But that's me. It's one opinion that's right for me but clearly wrong for many others.

+1

Guest seaders

the way I look at the Android iPhone debate is like the difference between a normal musical instrument (say, a guitar) and a magical 'automatic' one. with the automatic one, you can never play a wrong chord, you can never strum out of rhythm or sequence and any time you place your hand on the fret, it guides your fingers to only 'safe' chords that will ensure that everything will always sound 'nice' and 'pleasant', but you will never be able to play anything risqué or 'edgy'. with a manual guitar, if you've no idea what you're doing, your fingers will bleed, you'll mute strings, you'll be out of rhythm and all in all, you'll have a vastly unpleasant experience. but if you know what you're doing? if you spend some time getting to know what can be done with the 'freedom' you have on this guitar? you can be a Steve Vai, an Eric Clapton, or an internet sensation in your own recording like Andy McKee. that's what you can do with the freedom and range you get with an Android phone. with an iPhone, your freedom is locked down and your range of use is limited. stuff will probably go wrong less often and you'll probably have a nice enough experience as someone who's vastly more experienced than you with one, but you'll always, always be quite restricted. you'll only ever be a plastic band, mass produced who sounds like all the others and realistically, is just another shade of grey.

Guest SikYou

Paul, once you are home and rooting again can you post details as to how you gained root access for desire/legend devices. The HTC Eris with Android 2.1 leak remains on root lock down and I am hopeful that your work can be used to gain access as all other attempts have failed. Thank you! Safe travels!

Guest Kevin La.

It's not useful to ask every day... Wait until he goes back !

Going back to home is more important than rooting the phone.

You'll got news when he will be ready to give us his gift ;)

Edited by Kevin La.

Assuming we will be able to root the HTC Desire.

Do you know if it's possible to do a ROM upgrade to HTC Desire so it will work on the AT&T 3G network in the US? I have the phone, with AT&T SIM card, calls are no problem but the data is not 3G - its E which is way slower.

Is it at all possible to do that with a ROM change. Technical support in HTC told me it’s possible but they are not sure if HTC engineering is working on that.

Guest lewisisonfire

OK I have scowled the web for this answer and found snip-its of info. But nothing that really explains it clearly.

I have the HTC Desire on the UK provider Orange. This dam network like to add its own customizations, such as on the internet app icon they've added the orange logo, and on a few other apps they have been made orangey.

For me I like my phones fresh and crisp, With no silly customizations.

OK that all said, Here is the question With Rooting the Desire, am I then able to remove this annoying customization? I think Its a case of removing the Orange firmware and replacing with the original HTC Android Firmware. I just need confirmation. Lets be mature about this, and just answer the question no snide remarks of what a noob I am. I'm painfully aware.

Thanks in advanced.