14/Jun r6 riskfreeroot - HTC Desire rooting guide - now with HBOOT 0.80 and OS to 1.21 support

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest 42turkeys
Does it not run with the free version of psas?

No it does not. It just says 'Please upgrade to get support for newer devices'.

Guest msdl28712

Remote 90 hboot pre-update - please flush image again immediatley

paul getting this error in step1 then locking up on step2 any ideas

thanks

Guest cosmic76

I have root my desire tonight, and i have apply app2sd.... All works very fine...

I am in italy and my desire is 0,75

I have apply the guide for with only windows (thanks to mcbain) and apply App2sd (thanks afiorillo)

You can find the guide in this forum

by by

Guest schmarakel
I have root my desire tonight, and i have apply app2sd.... All works very fine...

I am in italy and my desire is 0,75

I have apply the guide for with only windows (thanks to mcbain) and apply App2sd (thanks afiorillo)

You can find the guide in this forum

by by

Can you give exact links for this?

Guest Fruchtzwerg
No it does not. It just says 'Please upgrade to get support for newer devices'.

Oh my god, what the hell. :huh:

Guest PKRush
Amended the tutorial to point out the goldcard should ONLY be necessary on operator supplied devices.

P

I have bought a desire from Carphone Warehouse, they gave me a choice of providers, I plumped for vodafone. Does this mean I do not need the gold card as my phone doesn't seem to be operator dependant? I have tried my T-Mobile sim in it and it works with that as well.

Thanks for any confirmation.

EDIT: When I say bought I mean on a contract but I was given a choice of O2 or Voda.

Edited by PKRush

Guest lucky58
Amended the tutorial to point out the goldcard should ONLY be necessary on operator supplied devices.

P

The same for the Legend, I suppose P ? (I live and have one from Belgium)

Guest msdl28712

finally rooted phew after just retrying with the Remote 90 hboot pre-update - please flush image again immediatley

i restarted changed to another dvdrom flipped it over (allways had to do this to backup my original wii games)

procedure completed phew was pulling my hair out.

Zilch it is the goldcard dont know what went wrong checked the goldcard.img against my drive there was a slight differnce although im 100% i did it right just copied and pasted the image to my drive over writing offset (line) 00000000 to offset (line) 00000170 (including the 00000170 line. The change was in the middle of what i pasted so dont know how that happened,

Guest 42turkeys
The same for the Legend, I suppose P ? (I live and have one from Belgium)

I think so. Try it though the worst that will happen is that you will get a CID error in step 1.

Guest _Dejan_

P

Hi Paul,

If I understand you if I have geniue unbranded HTC Desire which has been shipped with 1.15.405.4 firmware I don't need create gold card and start with burning CD step? This goldcard thing stop me rooting my phone :huh:

Edited by _Dejan_

Guest mladban
I had the same issue. I deleted my apn's, restored defaults... and waited a bit. It works like a charm for me now... But it took a bit for it to connect. I have no idea if this was what was wrong, but never the less... it works for me now.

No dat dont work for my.

Traing to update radio now.

Guest fubuman_05

@Paul..

is there a possibility to crack the boot loader... because then we dont need in theory a goldcard or?

Guest 42turkeys
I have bought a desire from Carphone Warehouse, they gave me a choice of providers, I plumped for vodafone. Does this mean I do not need the gold card as my phone doesn't seem to be operator dependant? I have tried my T-Mobile sim in it and it works with that as well.

Thanks for any confirmation.

EDIT: When I say bought I mean on a contract but I was given a choice of O2 or Voda.

Hi Paul,

If I understand you if I have geniue unbranded HTC Desire which has been shipped with 1.15.405.4 firmware I don't need create gold card and start with burning CD step? This goldcard thing stop me rooting my phone :huh:

Yes it should work if not you will get a CID error in step 1. Just reboot your phone & try doing the goldcard when it next comes available.

Guest Twau

Hello all, my very first post!

How can I check if I have a generic version or not? My mobile is not operator-locked.

If I wanna un-root it later, what information shall I collect before I root it?

//Best Regards

Guest ritdaw

P

I can confirm this works with my non branded generic Desire.

I did however get this error (but it still worked):

90 hboot pre-update - please flush image again immediately

Guest maximini1

I also got this:

90 hboot pre-update - please flush image again immediately

this appear about 15sec but some how it process automatically from the beginning again and flash ok..then all the way no problem got~

Guest habibas

If you have an operator supplied device (i.e. non generic), make your microSD card into a goldcard by following these instructions (it's a good idea to back up the contents of your card first!).

paul

as i understand dose this mean if my device is not an operator supplied not branded i can skip this step?

Guest Zilch
I can boot from the ISO ok (real PC, not a VM), mount CD drive etc ok. But, the first time I run step1.sh, the zip file gets sent to the device ok, but then I get:

INFOsignature checking...

INFOzip header checking...

INFOzip info parsing...

INFOchecking model ID...

INFOchecking custom ID...

INFOchecking main version...

FAILED (remote: 43 main version check fail)

sending 'zip' (137446 KB)... OKAY

writing 'zip'... INFOadopting the signature contained in this image...

INFOsignature checking...

INFOzip header checking...

INFOzip info parsing...

INFOchecking model ID...

INFOchecking custom ID...

INFOchecking main version...

FAILED (remote: 43 main version check fail)

Rebooting to bootloader...

step2.sh fails with 'error:device not found'

I am running an Australian Telstra Branded Desire running the recent "RUU_Bravo_Telstra_WWE_1.16.841.1_Radio_32.30.00.28U_4.05.00.11_release_1261

4_signed.exe" ROM. I shouldn't need to flash any generic ROM first should I, as the rooting process should do that for me. The bootloader is 0.75, but I should be able to go backwards from 1.16.851.1 to whatever the script is trying to install, yeah?

I'm fairly sure my Gold Card is ok, as I have used it before to install a ROM from the web. (Some files added and deleted to it, but don't think that should have un-golded it?)

That problem is your goldcard isn't working.

Hi Paul,

I assume that reply is to the "remote: 43 main version check fail" issue msdl28712 and I are getting.

I've played around with this, and (while this is way outside my area of expertise) I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's not a goldcard issue. The reasons being:

1) I have successfully used this goldcard before to load the 'RUU_Bravo_HTC_Europe_1.15.405.3_Radio_32.30.00.28U_4.05.00.11_release_121865

exe" ROM

2) I've rebuild the goldcard just to be sure (from the goldcard.img I had in my email) after double checking the CID of the device

3) When I try it with a known bad goldcard (built with a different CID) I get a different error ("model ID check fail", not "main version check fail")

Soo...I'm wondering if it's my current ROM "RUU_Bravo_Telstra_WWE_1.16.841.1_Radio_32.30.00.28U_4.05.00.11_release_1261

4_signed.exe".

To check this (and triple check the goldcard works) I decided to go back from the Telstra ROM to the Europe ROM which I was running previously. A couple of weird things. This is under Windows as I have done before...

Firstly, if I try to run the RUU when the device is in on the FASTBOOT screen, the RUU gets so far, then waits for the bootloader to start, which never happens. After 60 seconds it times out.

Secondly, if I boot the phone up, plug it in and select to connect as HTC Sync, the RUU gets further. It starts the bootloader and writes the ROM to the phone, but then fails with an incompatible bootloader error.

I believe this is different to what I saw before with a bad goldcard (I think that was incompatible device ID?). The bootloader does say 0.75 so I'm puzzled.

Can you confirm that we should be able to go backward to lower number ROMs with a goldcard and bootloader 0.75?

Also, is this the issue that you would expect to see if it was running the problematic 0.80 bootloader (maybe they patched some vulnerability without incrementing the version number in my ROM?)

Lastly, can you tell me what the "main version check fail" actually means?

I suspect I'm going to have to wait around with this branded ROM until another root hack is found, but any hints appreciated.

Edited by Zilch

Guest Twau

Just rooted mine without goldcard. Also had the error:

"90 hboot pre-update - please flush image again immediately"

But just let it load and it will work anyhow. :huh:

Guest Cadezo

Is it possible to unroot (to undo the rooting) your Desire? Is it as easy as install a official HTC firmware...?

Think of the case of when you have to return your phone (i.e. warranty) or in case A2SD becomes possible with some update from Google/HTC...

Edited by Cadezo