14/Jun r6 riskfreeroot - HTC Desire rooting guide - now with HBOOT 0.80 and OS to 1.21 support

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest jullejul

hello i flashed my phone and it worked. but now i'm trying to change something but it say i don't have permissions

Guest _Dejan_
hello i flashed my phone and it worked. but now i'm trying to change something but it say i don't have permissions

Did you read thread? You don't have write permission for system...

Guest afiorillo
Is it possible to unroot (to undo the rooting) your Desire? Is it as easy as install a official HTC firmware...?

Think of the case of when you have to return your phone (i.e. warranty) or in case A2SD becomes possible with some update from Google/HTC...

There's a thread in this very room about that. :huh:

Guest 42turkeys
Did you read thread? You don't have write permission for system...

You do have write permission for /system when you are in recovery mode.

Guest _Dejan_
You do have write permission for /system when you are in recovery mode.

I know that but if Im understand him right he has try modify files trough file manager or some other app inside boot-ed android...

Guest 42turkeys
how to get inte recovery mode?

Just repeat step 2 of Paul's root method.

On your desire, enter fastboot by pressing power & back buttons from bootup.

Then press power then with power to select & volume to go up/down, navigate to where it says 'RECOVERY'.

Then boot the CD with TinyCoreLinux on and type

sudo mkdir /mnt/cdrom
sudo mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
cd /mnt/cdrom/root
sudo ./step2.sh[/codebox]

You should now be in recovery and be able to get write access to everything using adb!

Edited by 42turkeys

Guest jullejul
Just repeat step 2 of Paul's root method.

Then press power then with power to select & volume to go up/down, navigate to where it says 'RECOVERY'.

sudo mkdir /mnt/cdrom
cd /mnt/cdrom/root
sudo ./step2.sh[/codebox]

You should now be in recovery and be able to get write access to everything using adb!

ok

Guest 42turkeys

Paul, if I was to send you the /system ect. before I rooted with the stock t-mobile rom would you be able to package this into an update.zip?

Guest schmarakel

About GoldCard,found this at PSAS support forum:

We had to close the goldcard generator due to several hack attempts.

After web server security updates, it will be back online.

So maybe we have to wait until back online!

Guest Ilans

Paul, I can't understand your instructions, I'm sure it works somehow but I can't understand what to do.

If I want to install hebrew, What should I do?

You talk about rootedupdate.zip. I can't see this file, I see r1-hebrew-desire-signed.zip

Should I unzip it to microSD card?

Please write the instructions that not a Linux developers will able to follow

Thanks

Guest schmarakel
About GoldCard,found this at PSAS support forum:

So maybe we have to wait until back online!

Now back online :huh:

Guest 42turkeys
Paul, I can't understand your instructions, I'm sure it works somehow but I can't understand what to do.

If I want to install hebrew, What should I do?

You talk about rootedupdate.zip. I can't see this file, I see r1-hebrew-desire-signed.zip

Should I unzip it to microSD card?

Please write the instructions that not a Linux developers will able to follow

Thanks

Place that onto the root of your SD card and repeat step 2 of Paul's root method.

sudo mkdir /mnt/cdrom

cd /mnt/cdrom/root

sudo ./step2.sh

You should now be in recovery mode. Select 'Install zip from SD Card' and choose your hebrew fonts zip.

Guest Ilans
Place that onto the root of your SD card and repeat step 2 of Paul's root method.

sudo mkdir /mnt/cdrom

cd /mnt/cdrom/root

sudo ./step2.sh

You should now be in recovery mode. Select 'Install zip from SD Card' and choose your hebrew fonts zip.

Place that, that was my question, place what? r1-hebrew-desire-signed.zip file? unziped? zipped? other file?

Sorry but for me it is not so clear...

It sounds to be easy when you know what you do

Guest afiorillo
Place that, that was my question, place what? r1-hebrew-desire-signed.zip file? unziped? zipped? other file?

Sorry but for me it is not so clear...

It sounds to be easy when you know what you do

"That" stands for any update you want to flash into your Desire. The first time (Paul' tutorial) that update will be rootedupdate.zip, the second time will likely be the zipfile containing A2SD (if you want to install it), the third time will be r1-hebrew-desire-signed.zip (for those that require it, like you).

Anyway, you have to copy the zip file into the root folder of the SD card without unzipping it, such an action is never told in any tutorial.

Edited by afiorillo

Guest Ilans
"That" stands for any update you want to flash into your Desire. The first time (Paul' tutorial) that update will be rootedupdate.zip, the second time will likely be the zipfile containing A2SD (if you want to install it), the third time will be r1-hebrew-desire-signed.zip (for those that require it, like you).

Anyway, you have to copy the zip file into the root folder of the SD card without unzipping it, such an action is never told in any tutorial.

:huh: Thanks

Now I still trying to download the ISO file, connection is so poor (more than 2 hours! It fails and again and again!!)

Guest theboxman

Root is awesome but I'm seriously lamenting the loss of voice search.

Anyone know how to re enable it? Tried searching the market.

Cant find it. Nor on any other sources of software.

Was it some sort of Orange exclusive feature?

I used it all the time before flashing.

Also anyone know how to get the gshell script working to test a2sd? Wondering if its working. Been installing and phone memory now at 30mb remaining. Perhaps the files are in both locations?

Guest theboxman

Unless you have an especially bad connection at your side why not download it using the torrent?

If you need a client Google utorrent which is fully featured memory light and only about 300k in size!

:huh: Thanks

Now I still trying to download the ISO file, connection is so poor (more than 2 hours! It fails and again and again!!)

Guest ascito
Root is awesome but I'm seriously lamenting the loss of voice search.

Anyone know how to re enable it? Tried searching the market.

Cant find it. Nor on any other sources of software.

Was it some sort of Orange exclusive feature?

I used it all the time before flashing.

Also anyone know how to get the gshell script working to test a2sd? Wondering if its working. Been installing and phone memory now at 30mb remaining. Perhaps the files are in both locations?

About a2sd, I have the same sensation, if you look at some previous post you will find the adb shell command posted by afiorillo.

Guest _Dejan_

I have one idea but Im not shure if can be done...

Is possible modify in ROM online system update function that connect to other host? If is possible then maybe we can make one local host(local HTTP server) where are all updates, A2SD update... and simple update phone trough build update function. As I think build update function can write to system partition or how will HTC/google add native a2sd app if they don't have access to system partition???

Procedure:

1.)Make custom ROM which instead of http://htc.com/... use http://192.168.1.xx/... (IP of your local PC or http server)

2.)Put updates on http server and run manual update on phone

3.)When came new updates we just copy it into http server and run update again

I hope that Paul or some other with more knowledge know what I think... And if this is possible I think that this will be simplest way to root phone(make one public http server with root + a2sd and one ROM which connect to this host)...

What do you think?

Guest theboxman
About a2sd, I have the same sensation, if you look at some previous post you will find the adb shell command posted by afiorillo.

I've searched and searched but cannot find this :-/ I put his name into the search for this topic and read every post mentioning it. :-/

Are you sure you're not talking about the gshell script I was saying was failng in the first place? my understanding is abd scripts run from your desktop while connected to the phone, right?

Anyway I've started a topic about my gshell script not working problems but no1 is getting back to me. Wish I could figure out if I'm going to have to flash everything soon as the job of doing it is now getting bigger and bigger as time goes on! :-/

Voice Search is however the sorest loss :-/ Not actually sure that wireless tethering etc makes up for it....I'm sure someone will figure out eventually how to bring it back. Think it's an app we need that 's not on the marketplace. I ran a program which I think had it as a dependency (voice2clipboard) and it asked me to install GoogleVoiceSearch and forwarded me to the market place.....which returned no result....

Maybe only available in some locales? I've got market enabler, can anyone tell me which market to mimic and what code I'd need?

Guest theboxman
I've searched and searched but cannot find this :-/ I put his name into the search for this topic and read every post mentioning it. :-/

Are you sure you're not talking about the gshell script I was saying was failng in the first place? my understanding is abd scripts run from your desktop while connected to the phone, right?

Anyway I've started a topic about my gshell script not working problems but no1 is getting back to me. Wish I could figure out if I'm going to have to flash everything soon as the job of doing it is now getting bigger and bigger as time goes on! :-/

Voice Search is however the sorest loss :-/ Not actually sure that wireless tethering etc makes up for it....I'm sure someone will figure out eventually how to bring it back. Think it's an app we need that 's not on the marketplace. I ran a program which I think had it as a dependency (voice2clipboard) and it asked me to install GoogleVoiceSearch and forwarded me to the market place.....which returned no result....

Maybe only available in some locales? I've got market enabler, can anyone tell me which market to mimic and what code I'd need?

As for voice search issue solved!

Get this file and install it: http://bit.ly/cawMCG

It's voicesearch version 2.1!

---------------

So that's one of my two issues down....now can anyone help out with Gscript pretty please :-) all the info on the errors I'm seeing is in the other topic. :huh:

Guest hubo

Excellent post, thanks so much for making this understandable even for a newb like me! :huh:

I got a bit scared at the wipe part, you dont particulary mention what type of wipe must be done. Using brains i figured it probably was "Wipe data/factory reset" and using balls of steel i did that. Worked perfect, after that flashed the custom zip and now enjoying my root very much.