14/Jun r6 riskfreeroot - HTC Desire rooting guide - now with HBOOT 0.80 and OS to 1.21 support

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest drvdijk
From reading through the thread I'm seeing that there is a general consensus that using a Virtual Machine to load the ISO is not working due to problems connecting via USB. I am trying to do the root process on a Macbook Pro using VMWare Fusion and I'm not having much luck. I have connected the phone via USB and in VMWare you can see in the screenshot that the USB is connected (it identifies itself as 'High Android 1.0). But ./step1.sh is failing to connect to device and giving these 'FAILED status malformed' errors.

Has anyone been able to successfully complete the rooting process using VMWare Fusion?

*image*

I have. Exactly the way you described it. Weird it doesn't work for you.

Stupid question, but have you tried rebooting?

Edited by drvdijk

Guest 42turkeys
From reading through the thread I'm seeing that there is a general consensus that using a Virtual Machine to load the ISO is not working due to problems connecting via USB. I am trying to do the root process on a Macbook Pro using VMWare Fusion and I'm not having much luck. I have connected the phone via USB and in VMWare you can see in the screenshot that the USB is connected (it identifies itself as 'High Android 1.0). But ./step1.sh is failing to connect to device and giving these 'FAILED status malformed' errors.

Has anyone been able to successfully complete the rooting process using VMWare Fusion?

Update: Just realised after pulling the battery and rebooting that my SD card is not being recognised. i get a message in alerts 'Blank SD Card - SD card blank or has unsupported filesystem.'

*IMAGE*

Can you not use the CD as it works much better if you do that.

Edited by 42turkeys

Guest Kehaan

To use App2SD i need the goldcard, right? Or can i also install that without the goldcard?, I have just downloaded the img in the root guide. But is Linux needed? Or can i do it in OSX instead?

From Kehaan

Guest Dugh

Okay, last error.

"Finding update package...

Opening update package...

Verifying update package...ยด

(Now it says it can't continue and stuff)

"

I putted the update zip fil onto the sd card :S

Guest 42turkeys
To use App2SD i need the goldcard, right? Or can i also install that without the goldcard?, I have just downloaded the img in the root guide. But is Linux needed? Or can i do it in OSX instead?

From Kehaan

Have you already rooted?

Guest Kehaan
Have you already rooted?

Hello.

No i have not :P The guide says i need to use Linux, but was just curios if i could only use OSX instead, of using linux :huh:

From Kehaan.

Guest drvdijk
Hello.

No i have not :P The guide says i need to use Linux, but was just curios if i could only use OSX instead, of using linux :huh:

From Kehaan.

Should be possible, although you probably need a reasonable understanding of linux in the first place

Guest Streetdaddy
I have. Exactly the way you described it. Weird it doesn't work for you.

Stupid question, but have you tried rebooting?

I tried rebooting. SD Card still coming up as 'Blank'.

So i've run ./step1.sh again in VMWare and it ran through ok, however now I'm at step 2 and it seems like there's something not quite right with my SD Card:

screenshot20100503at180.png

I'm now at the 'Android system recovery' screen, but based on the output of ./step2.sh I wasn't keen on doing the 'Wipe' option until I was sure that there is something to recover, so I selected 'Flash ZIP from sdcard' to get the list of zip's and check something is there, but I get this output at the bottom of the screen:

E: Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 (or /dev/block/mmcblk0)

(I/O error)

E: Can't mount SDCARD:

So I'm a bit unsure what to do next ... i have this word 'brick' swimming around in my head :huh:

is my sdcard borked and this is why it won't mount? any ideas what I should do next?

Guest drvdijk
*cut some text*

is my sdcard borked and this is why it won't mount? any ideas what I should do next?

Your sd card might be ill-partitioned. It is not yet bricked :huh: The error states it cannot find the first partition on your sd card. Is it there, and is it fat32?

Edited by drvdijk

Guest DutchMaverick

Hm, my desire seems to hang with "copying files" in recovery after aply-ing update.zip

I rebooted my pc and disconnected my device as i thought this would be of no influence. Was i wrong? Or does this step just take a very very long time? ( bar hasent moved for 5 mins)

Ok, retried. Worked great. Your guide is foolproof paul :huh: Thanks for that.

Edited by DutchMaverick

Guest Streetdaddy
Your sd card might be ill-partitioned. It is not yet bricked :huh: The error states it cannot find the first partition on your sd card. Is it there, and is it fat32?

im just trying to work out how I can check this via adb... any tips?

or can I turn the phone off, take the SD card out and check it using an memory card reader on my Macbook, fix it (if necessary) and then put it back in, and somehow boot back into the recovery screen?

Guest 42turkeys
Hello.

From Kehaan.

You can use it on OSX in a Virtual Machine but that gets really complicated so just burn the disc, turn your computer off then turn it on with the CD in. Then follow the rest of the guide. For A2SD you do need the goldcard see this guide for more info. Make sure to look at the bottom post for the download link! To install A2SD you need to get your device into recovery mode which you can do easily with this guide.

Hope this Helps! :blink:

Guest Streetdaddy
im just trying to work out how I can check this via adb... any tips?

or can I turn the phone off, take the SD card out and check it using an memory card reader on my Macbook, fix it (if necessary) and then put it back in, and somehow boot back into the recovery screen?

also, not sure if this is related - but the sdcard used to by in my Hero which was running MCR 3.2 so it is possible that the partitions are all a bit messed up from that... perhaps the first partition isn't FAT32...

Guest Streetdaddy
also, not sure if this is related - but the sdcard used to by in my Hero which was running MCR 3.2 so it is possible that the partitions are all a bit messed up from that... perhaps the first partition isn't FAT32...

Opened up an adb shell and tried 'fs repair', and it says 'No ext partition found!'

Sounds like my sdcard is having some partitioning problems... what should I do?

Guest Kehaan

Hey.

Hmm is the "ISO image - DOWNLOAD / MIRROR / TORRENT MD5: 854bdbb3c5898b15f92b5991204c9288" down?

"DOWNLOAD and MIRROR" Is not working anymore.

From Kehaan

Guest 42turkeys
Hey.

Hmm is the "ISO image - DOWNLOAD / MIRROR / TORRENT MD5: 854bdbb3c5898b15f92b5991204c9288" down?

From Kehaan

Does it just redirect you to the MoDaCo homepage? Try right click>Save link as

Guest Kehaan

Hey

Now i am just a little confused.

I can root my HTC Desire without goldcard. So after the phone is rootet, i can then install APP2SD, but for that i need a goldcard.

The question is then, which card shall i do it on then? Shall App2SD not be on the card which is my "maincard"? I have a 2gb card which i thought about making the goldcard, and then the 16gb card to use as maincard. But can i put app2SD on the 16gb card while the 2gbcard is a goldcard? Or have i just misunderstood it?

From Kehaan...

Guest 42turkeys
Hey

Now i am just a little confused.

I can root my HTC Desire without goldcard. So after the phone is rootet, i can then install APP2SD, but for that i need a goldcard.

The question is then, which card shall i do it on then? Shall App2SD not be on the card which is my "maincard"? I have a 2gb card which i thought about making the goldcard, and then the 16gb card to use as maincard. But can i put app2SD on the 16gb card while the 2gbcard is a goldcard? Or have i just misunderstood it?

From Kehaan...

If your device is generic then you will not need a goldcard for rooting or A2SD I don't think as the Goldcard is to trick it into thinking that your device is Generic. If you already have a generic device you will not need one. A2SD should be on the card you want to use all the time in your Desire.

I think I'm getting addicted to MoDaCo! Over 50 posts in 3 days :P

Guest Kehaan

Hey

Haha okay :P Thanks.

You told me that my phone in another thread was a generic one. So it would not need a goldcard. So guess i should start the rooting soon :huh:

From Kehaan.

Guest afiorillo
Hey.

From Kehaan

Try the torrent linked in this very thread. Also, try this mirror:

ISO Part 1

ISO Part 2

ISO Part 3

It's a self-extracting multipart Windows RAR archive.

Guest Dugh
There'll be a superuser permissions app in the application list. It's a little ninja. :huh:

It's empty :S When I run the superuser permissions app, it's just a black screen

Guest Dugh
Yeah, it doesn't do anything by itself. As long as it's present at all, you're rooted.

But why did I root my phone in the first place? Only for the useless app?:huh:

What does rooting do?