24/May r4 - HTC Legend rooting guide - Now with 1.31.x

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Tommy D

Hey there.. This is my first ever post on this board, so, yay :P

My problem is probably quite easy to fix, but I just can't find the darn answer.. I've got a Legend from Vodaphone in the Netherlands, and, like everyone else, I want to red rid of the branding and get a "standard" HTC ROM on it. So far, so good..

From what i understand, I do not have to root the phone, but just install the "right" RUU, correct ?

Now.. Where do I find that RUU ? I've tried the one that is mentioned earlier in this topic, but it tells me that the CID (wth is a CID?) is wrong.. Is CID Customer ID, or Country ID ? And how can I solve it ?

Thanks a million for the answer.

As I said, this is my first post on this forum, and also the legend is my very first Android phone. No experience on Linux either, so I'm a absolute n00b at this..

Edited by Tommy D

Guest mortai
Hey there.. This is my first ever post on this board, so, yay :P

My problem is probably quite easy to fix, but I just can't find the darn answer.. I've got a Legend from Vodaphone in the Netherlands, and, like everyone else, I want to red rid of the branding and get a "standard" HTC ROM on it. So far, so good..

From what i understand, I do not have to root the phone, but just install the "right" RUU, correct ?

Now.. Where do I find that RUU ? I've tried the one that is mentioned earlier in this topic, but it tells me that the CID (wth is a CID?) is wrong.. Is CID Customer ID, or Country ID ? And how can I solve it ?

Thanks a million for the answer.

As I said, this is my first post on this forum, and also the legend is my very first Android phone. No experience on Linux either, so I'm a absolute n00b at this..

hi there... first you have to make your sd card into a goldcard!!! after that you can flash the htc rom and do ota updates.

here is a guide to make a gold card : http://www.androidpit.de/de/android/wiki/v...dcard_erstellen perhaps google can help to translate...

the new link for actually making the goldcard img is now http://psas.revskills.de/?q=goldcard

thats it...

Guest Tommy D
hi there... first you have to make your sd card into a goldcard!!! after that you can flash the htc rom and do ota updates.

here is a guide to make a gold card : http://www.androidpit.de/de/android/wiki/v...dcard_erstellen perhaps google can help to translate...

the new link for actually making the goldcard img is now http://psas.revskills.de/?q=goldcard

thats it...

Hi Mortai,

I've read a lot about that goldcard (like, 90% of this topic is about it) but what I understood is that you do not need a goldcard, just the RUU. or am I wrong? i thought you only needed the goldcard if you wanted to "root" the phone.. I have no need for that, since I can do whatever I want with the phone already.

The main reason for wanting a "Stock HTC ROM" is that the phone is now branded, and I guess we all know how Vodaphone thinks about updates.. They either come out very late, or never at all. As was the case with my previous phone (N95 8GB).

So OK, let's say I do need that Goldcard. Is there any way to create it while it's in the phone, since I do not have any cardreader.. Well, i do, but it's old and doesn't have a slot for MicroSD. Also i do not have an adapter for it..

thanks in advance.

Guest mortai
Hi Mortai,

I've read a lot about that goldcard (like, 90% of this topic is about it) but what I understood is that you do not need a goldcard, just the RUU. or am I wrong? i thought you only needed the goldcard if you wanted to "root" the phone.. I have no need for that, since I can do whatever I want with the phone already.

The main reason for wanting a "Stock HTC ROM" is that the phone is now branded, and I guess we all know how Vodaphone thinks about updates.. They either come out very late, or never at all. As was the case with my previous phone (N95 8GB).

So OK, let's say I do need that Goldcard. Is there any way to create it while it's in the phone, since I do not have any cardreader.. Well, i do, but it's old and doesn't have a slot for MicroSD. Also i do not have an adapter for it..

thanks in advance.

no, you need a goldcard, because you have to change somthing concerning the cid... without the card you won´t be able to flash or update anything else than original vodafone roms and updates... the goldcard itself does not root your phone, it just allows the flashing with the original ruu from htc... besides that making the goldcard with the above guide is really easy and takes just a few minutes...

i think it´s not possible without taking the card out of the phone... but you can get an adapter cheap just a few euros...

Edited by mortai

Guest Tommy D

Allright then, so I DO need the Goldcard..

Let's say I've done all that, made the Goldcard etc.. Then what ? I know I need a RUU, but which one ? I mean, obviously not a Asian one (checked out shipped-roms..) but are there country-specific ROM's, or are they sorted to region, like, one for Europe, one for Asia, one for USA, etc ?

Guest Tommy D

I now consider myself a genius. Although you all would say I'm just ehm.. well.. no genius..

Either way.. Just created a Goldcard, installed the RUU I downloaded and tried installing before (at that time didn't work,wrong CID) and now tadaa, unbranded Legend !:! I'm sooo happy I didn't mess it up haha thanks all!

Guest mortai
I now consider myself a genius. Although you all would say I'm just ehm.. well.. no genius..

Either way.. Just created a Goldcard, installed the RUU I downloaded and tried installing before (at that time didn't work,wrong CID) and now tadaa, unbranded Legend !:! I'm sooo happy I didn't mess it up haha thanks all!

see... not difficult at all... enjoy your unbranded legend!!!

Guest power3d

Which RUU did you use?

Guest evil_lcf

hi, can anyone tell what the goldcard is for? since i'm not able to make it, maybe cause i'm on win 7 64bit, i'll rather root my legend without it if is possible. thank you

Guest blabub
hi, can anyone tell what the goldcard is for? since i'm not able to make it, maybe cause i'm on win 7 64bit, i'll rather root my legend without it if is possible. thank you

I had the same problem, you must go to the device manager and select the driver manually. Then it will work. This is cause the driver is not signed by microsoft.

BTW: How long takes step 1? I wait since 40 minutes and still "writing zip".

A hour past, slowly it get nervously.

Edited by blabub

Guest Tommy D
see... not difficult at all... enjoy your unbranded legend!!!

Indeed very easy. Only trouble I had was that "mmc1" had to be changed into "mmc0". Which was mentioned in the how-to.

Which RUU did you use?

This one, link originally posted by Peganos: RUU download

Guest evil_lcf
I had the same problem, you must go to the device manager and select the driver manually. Then it will work. This is cause the driver is not signed by microsoft.

thank you for the suggestion i'll try tomorrow :P

Guest Liquid211

It dosen't take that long. If it's the black screen with HTC just pull out battery and edit the step1-windows.bat. It has the line

fastboot-windows.exe flash zip testimage.zip twice and that's what was wrong when I ran step1. I just removed the duplicate line and it went fra sending zip to the screen where you can see the status bar for the flash. Try it.

Guest bennyr99

Hi Paul,

Thanks for this root, However for me it fails :P

I use my GoldCard, I tried the process both in Ubuntu 9.10 and in Windows 7 - getting the same messages.

BTW - after step 1 when I entter the RECOVERY mode - the screen gets into a "Locked" state (Red Triangle with !) - from which I can exit only by taking the battery out and in again.

C:\r3-legend-root>step1-windows.bat

Legend Root Step 1

Erasing cache and rebooting in RUU mode...

erasing 'cache'... OKAY

... OKAY

About to start flash...

< waiting for device >

sending 'zip' (121756 KB)... OKAY

writing 'zip'... INFOadopting the signature contained in this image...

INFOsignature checking...

INFOzip header checking...

INFOzip info parsing...

INFOchecking model ID...

INFOchecking custom ID...

FAILED (remote: 42 custom id check fail)

INFOzip info parsing...

INFOchecking model ID...

Rebooting to bootloader...

rebooting into bootloader... OKAY

Step 1 complete - now use the bootloader menu to enter recovery mode.

To do this, press the power button, wait a few seconds, then use the volume keys

and power button to select the RECOVERY option.

C:\r3-legend-root>step2-windows.bat

Legend Root Step 2

Pushing required files to device...

* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *

* daemon started successfully *

error: device not found

Pushing update file to device sdcard - this may take a few minutes...

Now wipe and apply rootedupdate.zip from the recovery image menu.

C:\r3-legend-root>

Thnks for your suppport !!

Benny

Guest nieldk

I think one of two possible issues.

most likely your goldcard doesnt work (you did make one, right?)

Or, you are on 1.32.x ROM version, which ... no root yet.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for this root, However for me it fails :P

I use my GoldCard, I tried the process both in Ubuntu 9.10 and in Windows 7 - getting the same messages.

BTW - after step 1 when I entter the RECOVERY mode - the screen gets into a "Locked" state (Red Triangle with !) - from which I can exit only by taking the battery out and in again.

C:\r3-legend-root>step1-windows.bat

Legend Root Step 1

Erasing cache and rebooting in RUU mode...

erasing 'cache'... OKAY

... OKAY

About to start flash...

< waiting for device >

INFOzip info parsing...

INFOchecking model ID...

INFOzip info parsing...

INFOchecking model ID...

Rebooting to bootloader...

rebooting into bootloader... OKAY

Step 1 complete - now use the bootloader menu to enter recovery mode.

To do this, press the power button, wait a few seconds, then use the volume keys

and power button to select the RECOVERY option.

C:\r3-legend-root>step2-windows.bat

Legend Root Step 2

Pushing required files to device...

* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *

* daemon started successfully *

Pushing update file to device sdcard - this may take a few minutes...

Now wipe and apply rootedupdate.zip from the recovery image menu.

C:\r3-legend-root>

Thnks for your suppport !!

Benny

Guest GhAeM

after root i recive below message when pushing :

failed to copy 'libwebcore.so' to '/system/lib//libwebcore.so': Directory not empty

any idea?

Guest bennyr99

[*]In the terminal window, enter either 'step2-windows.bat', './step2-mac.sh' or './step2-linux.sh' as appropriate.

[*]When this has completed, your device should be at the 'recovery' screen. Select the 'wipe' option, then select the option to apply an update zip from sdcard, and select 'rootedupdate.zip'. This will take a little while, so go make a nice cup of tea. When the flash has finished, reboot, and you are DONE! :D

I've redone my GoldCard, now Step1 and Step2 passing GOOD :P

However after step2, in recovery mode, I select 'Wipe', the I see only the following options:

- wipe data/factory reset

- wipe cache

- wipe Dalvik-cache

- wipe SD:ext partition

- wipe battery stats

- wipe rotate settings

How do I apply now the Update Zip fro sdcard?

Thanks...

:P

Guest power3d
[*]In the terminal window, enter either 'step2-windows.bat', './step2-mac.sh' or './step2-linux.sh' as appropriate.

[*]When this has completed, your device should be at the 'recovery' screen. Select the 'wipe' option, then select the option to apply an update zip from sdcard, and select 'rootedupdate.zip'. This will take a little while, so go make a nice cup of tea. When the flash has finished, reboot, and you are DONE! :D

I've redone my GoldCard, now Step1 and Step2 passing GOOD :P

However after step2, in recovery mode, I select 'Wipe', the I see only the following options:

- wipe data/factory reset

- wipe cache

- wipe Dalvik-cache

- wipe SD:ext partition

- wipe battery stats

- wipe rotate settings

How do I apply now the Update Zip fro sdcard?

Thanks...

:P

You have to go back to the previous menu and then you'll find something that has to do with flash from SD.

I don't remember the exact words, but I had to do something like that.

Guest power3d
Indeed very easy. Only trouble I had was that "mmc1" had to be changed into "mmc0". Which was mentioned in the how-to.

This one, link originally posted by Peganos: RUU download

Does not work for me, although I have created the Gold card.

I've got an error related to the boot version :P

I believe that flashing with a stock rom is the only way I'll have new locales/keyboad languages.

The rom I have doesn't even have English - UK/US. I think that ROM 1.23 may have English-UK and, maybe Portuguese.

I have rooted with 1.31 R3. I don't think that the approach presented here is fully replacing the ROM because I still have the same Locales I had before rooting. The rooting processes used here is replacing just some files. That is my guess.

Just let me know something. You didn't downgrade, right?

You already had 1.23 installed, only branded. Then you replaced it by 1.23 unbranded, right?

Edited by power3d

Guest Tommy D
Does not work for me, although I have created the Gold card.

I've got an error related to the boot version :P

I believe that flashing with a stock rom is the only way I'll have new locales/keyboad languages.

The rom I have doesn't even have English - UK/US. I think that ROM 1.23 may have English-UK and, maybe Portuguese.

I have rooted with 1.31 R3. I don't think that the approach presented here is fully replacing the ROM because I still have the same Locales I had before rooting. The rooting processes used here is replacing just some files. That is my guess.

Just let me know something. You didn't downgrade, right?

You already had 1.23 installed, only branded. Then you replaced it by 1.23 unbranded, right?

Actually.. I upgraded. Version i had was 1.23.165 or something, and that RUU has version 1.23.4xx (not sure..). So i now have a newer version, but i didnt root it. All i wanted was to get rid of the branding, which i succesfully did.

edit: now on laptop, easier to type.

My main goal was to get rid of the branding, and the not-getting-updates problem, thanks to Vodaphony. So i used the RUU I mentioned earlier, tried installing first time, it said wrong CID. Then I made the goldcard, and tried again. This time it worked, and I was surprised to see that the firmware I was changing to was actually newer. After installing, which took about 10 minutes, I tried booting it. Which took forever, and made me worry.. Eventually all was well though.

What also surprised me, was the fact that eventhough all settings/messages/call lists were gone (which was to be expected)but, however, the "favorite contacts" widget was still there, with all the right people, numbers, contact pictures and all! Oh, and that was before I registered with facebook and Google.

One more little thing: I found out that you don't really need to put the MicroSD in your computer. You can instead just connect the phone (with the SD in it) as harddrive, and you can then access it and do your thing with the hex-editor. That was a nice surprise, since I have no microSD -> SD adapter.

Edited by Tommy D

Guest power3d
Actually.. I upgraded. Version i had was 1.23.165 or something, and that RUU has version 1.23.4xx (not sure..). So i now have a newer version, but i didnt root it. All i wanted was to get rid of the branding, which i succesfully did.

edit: now on laptop, easier to type.

My main goal was to get rid of the branding, and the not-getting-updates problem, thanks to Vodaphony. So i used the RUU I mentioned earlier, tried installing first time, it said wrong CID. Then I made the goldcard, and tried again. This time it worked, and I was surprised to see that the firmware I was changing to was actually newer. After installing, which took about 10 minutes, I tried booting it. Which took forever, and made me worry.. Eventually all was well though.

What also surprised me, was the fact that eventhough all settings/messages/call lists were gone (which was to be expected)but, however, the "favorite contacts" widget was still there, with all the right people, numbers, contact pictures and all! Oh, and that was before I registered with facebook and Google.

One more little thing: I found out that you don't really need to put the MicroSD in your computer. You can instead just connect the phone (with the SD in it) as harddrive, and you can then access it and do your thing with the hex-editor. That was a nice surprise, since I have no microSD -> SD adapter.

Well, that is what I always did (using the phone as a drive) and had no problem so far.

I think that I can't use that ROM because it will be a downgrade, and downgrade is not possible.

Thanks for your info :P