Issues with USB connectivity etc. and root / A2SD

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest kiokoman
i thought recov. partition was write-protected.

can it be?, if you see step2.sh from paul it is actualing putting files in recovery and with ./adb shell i was looking at init.rc and there is this:

# cat init.rc

on init

export PATH /sbin

export ANDROID_ROOT /system

export ANDROID_DATA /data

export EXTERNAL_STORAGE /sdcard

symlink /system/etc /etc

mkdir /sdcard

mkdir /system

mkdir /data

mkdir /datadata

mkdir /cache

mount /tmp /tmp tmpfs

on boot

ifup lo

hostname localhost

domainname localdomain

class_start default

service choice_fn /sbin/choice_fn

oneshot

service recovery /sbin/recovery

disabled

service power_test /sbin/power_test

disabled

oneshot

service offmode_charging /sbin/offmode_charging

disabled

oneshot

service detect_key /sbin/detect_key

disabled

oneshot

service adbd /sbin/adbd recovery

on property:persist.service.adb.enable=1

start adbd

on property:persist.service.adb.enable=0

stop adbd

#

if the service does not start you can't see the phone using adb on the pc

Edited by kiokoman

Guest geek78
I all, I'running the same problem :

rooted first, app2sd installed, then I wanted to try another rom, so in recovery, wiped everything.

I reformat my ext partition card and start flashing but it fail.

so I stay at my rooted rom but no sd card and weird connections (offten lost)

I flash with the stock rom and the problem remain.

I find the fastboot trick for the sd card and the phone fell better but still havent usb enabled only in fastboot, in recovery mode, I see a "qualcomm tech..." device, so I can't push file in recovery mode and stay here...

but the stange thing to me is that the stock rom (RUU-MoDaCo-Bravo-1.15.405.4-release) I flashed seems to stay rooted... in a terminal from the market, I can so a "su"!

so I think that there are part that weren't wiped or replaced.

Same issue for me without applying a2sd... So maybe a2sd is not thé problem....

Guest nilezon

What?

Did you manage to disable usb and sd card without installing a2sd?!

Exactly how did you do that?

Guest geek78
What?

Did you manage to disable usb and sd card without installing a2sd?!

Exactly how did you do that?

Yes, flashing one of my custom ROM. So now, no more adb, no more usb and no more cellular data... I can only flash thé generic htc ROM or the spécial test ROM from Paul using hboot and flash from sd card. And it is very étrange because when i flash the test ROM all seems ok but i don't see the superuser app. And without adb i can't use the push files to be root.

Orange should send me a new device quickly (they haven'it in stock right now ...)

Guest stevebrush

may be not, I had app2sd installed on a rooted rom,

I lost usb functions when I was thinking to flash another rom,

so I wiped everything I can in (blue) recovery and the ext partition in gparted, the sdcard was goldcard at this step...

after this step, I couldn't have an adb connection in any way.

Guest stevebrush

this morning, I tried something :

placed the rootedupdate.zip on sdcard and renamed it PB99IMG.ZIP

did in FASTBOOT the r4 step1-mac.sh => ok

then entering HBOOT, phone detects the PB99IMG.ZIP rom image on the sdcard and flash-it...

after flashing, renamed PB99IMG.ZIP to something else then enter in RECOVERY to clear cache. (still no adb, usb...)

Then reboot... wizard config... the device is ok, I still have no usb detection, no BT, no FM but the rom IS ROOTED !

this is not the rootedupdate rom as I can't see the superuser application, it still the stock rom from previous but I can issue a su from a terminal with no errors... before, I can't do this.

$ cd /data
$ ls
opendir failed, Permission denied
$ su
$ ls
gps_nmea_fifo
backup
pv_codec
system
.... :P [/codebox]

so my big question as I am rooted is : can I issue an echo "1|0"> to somewhere to re-enable usb-uart3 or adb.

can someone point me to /sys/... where it can be enabled?

thanx!

Edited by stevebrush

Guest geek78

Hi

I have done this :

./fastboot-mac enableqxdm 0

./fastboot-mac oem erase cache

./fastboot-mac -c board_bravo.disable_uart3=0

boot to HBOOT

flash from the SDCARD the test rom

now I have again the SDCARD, the cellular data, I am root (but I don't see the superuser app) and no usb ...

Guest kiokoman

could someone try this and post the output ? compare it with my output

cat /sys/devices/platform/msm_hsusb/usb_function_switch
usb_mass_storage:enable adb:enable diag:disable serial:disable ether:disable modem:disable nmea:disable
cat /sys/devices/platform/usbserial/serial_enable
cat /sys/module/diag/parameters/enabled
cat /sys/module/kernel/parameters/initcall_debug
N
cat  /sys/module/msm_serial_debugger/parameters/enable
Y
cat  /sys/module/msm_serial_debugger/parameters/uart_enabled
cat /sys/module/msm_ts/parameters/tsdebug
cat /sys/module/serial/parameters/serial_enabled

Guest nilezon
could someone try this and post the output ? compare it with my output

usb_mass_storage:enable adb:enable diag:disable serial:disable ether:disable modem:disable nmea:disable
cat /sys/devices/platform/usbserial/serial_enable
cat /sys/module/diag/parameters/enabled
cat /sys/module/kernel/parameters/initcall_debug
N
cat  /sys/module/msm_serial_debugger/parameters/enable
Y
cat  /sys/module/msm_serial_debugger/parameters/uart_enabled
cat /sys/module/msm_ts/parameters/tsdebug
cat /sys/module/serial/parameters/serial_enabled

I'm having exactly the same values with a NOT yet usb bricked device.

Guest kiokoman
I'm having exactly the same values with a NOT yet usb bricked device.

yeah my is not bricked

someone on xda say that this one dosen't exist for him. i want to know if someone with bricked phone can conferm this

Guest kingoffail
yeah my is not bricked

someone on xda say that this one dosen't exist for him. i want to know if someone with bricked phone can conferm this

That file is indeed missing on a bricked Desire.

Which makes sense, given what the bootloader and kernel is doing. :P

Guest kiokoman

i'm not an expert but i'm trying to help people, maybe in some way with all the information we have someone can make a patch

Guest ZiCoN
i'm not an expert but i'm trying to help people, maybe in some way with all the information we have someone can make a patch

Any help is appreciated.. I for one wanna thank you for what you put in this..

The path doesn't exist on mine either... bricked, but still used with 'gsm only' and no BT, WI-FI and SD

Edited by ZiCoN

Guest afiorillo
[...] The path doesn't exist on mine either... bricked [...]

This is weird. How in the world can a simple script like A2SD mess up whole directory structures, even deleting them? The path /sys/devices/platform/msm_hsusb contains a number of files and subfolders and is not touched by A2SD at all.

So, if that path is not present in a partially bricked Desire the cause cannot be searched through A2SD and its installation: it'll have to do with flashing, perhaps a ROM that doesn't contain that directory at all or (and that's my guess) an evil combo of missed wipes and flashes.

I'm pretty sure that the SD card isn't involved in this mess in any way.

Guest ZiCoN
This is weird. How in the world can a simple script like A2SD mess up whole directory structures, even deleting them? The path /sys/devices/platform/msm_hsusb contains a number of files and subfolders and is not touched by A2SD at all.

So, if that path is not present in a partially bricked Desire the cause cannot be searched through A2SD and its installation: it'll have to do with flashing, perhaps a ROM that doesn't contain that directory at all or (and that's my guess) an evil combo of missed wipes and flashes.

I'm havin' a hard time seeing the missing link here too... But then again, I don't know these systems enough to even begin to understand it... I'm just hoping someone suddenly will post something like; I GOT IT!!! Seriously.. I'm gonna buy this person a drink :P

BTW... This all started with mine when I tried to flash the custom rom... Don't know if that helps in any way...

Edited by ZiCoN

Guest kiokoman

yeah i think so. have checked a2sd script milions of time and find nothing related plus there is nothing in common in this and in the other thread that can cause the problem with a2sd, so i think this is because the system for some reason has not been cleaned properly before flashing

Edited by kiokoman

Guest Biliskner
Hello.

I had the following issue:

FAILED (remote: 90 hboot pre-update! please flush image again immediately)

sending 'zip' (137446 KB)... FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))

With Windows 7 64bit

But I've found a solution!!

Everybody with the same error try the following:

Open the step1-windows.bat with a texteditor (notepad doesn't display the lineending correctly. Try wordpad)

Now you see everything the Batch file is doing.

Instead of typing "step1-windows.bat" copy and paste every line you can see in there ( you don't have to copy the echo lines):

fastboot-windows.exe erase cache

fastboot-windows.exe oem rebootRUU

fastboot-windows.exe flash zip testimage.zip

NOW...when this error appears again WAIT until the HTC logo appears again and windows has successful recognized the device again!

Now type:

fastboot-windows.exe flash zip testimage.zip

now it shoud work.

The last step:

fastboot-windows.exe reboot-bootloader

to return to the bootloader!

As an alternative you can add "sleep 10" to the batch file under the first "fastboot-windows.exe flash zip testimage.zip" line!

Hope it helps.

Greating

Spirit

This post has been edited by WolfspiritM: Yesterday, 20:03

Got this from http://android.modaco.com/content-page/307...port/page/1460/

Reckon it will work? I thought cmd fastboot-windows.exe erase cache didn't work, since the FB cmd has been stripped down. He didn't say he had the problem it just popped in to my mind that it is strange he could 'erase cache' ... which I think (?) is different from 'erase config' which a few of us tried on IRC last weekend.

RE: the flashing process - mine flashed fine, I wiped device fine (actually flashed first time forgetting to wipe, then had to wipe and re-flash) so no problems there. Something definitely went amiss when I tried a2sd, and if the recovery mode is hacked from previous AMON_RA menu, then perhaps the bug is in there. Otherwise it's starting to look like HTC timebomb (conspiracy theory :P.

Also, perhaps when the device isn't cleared properly it by "default" goes into "debug/test" mode... that's why so many ppl have this problem?

It also worries me that people have no problem flashing multiple times then when they go test yet another custom rom, they usb-brick it. <--- wtf is that about?

Guest Biliskner

i wonder how many people WITH bricked phones (no USB, no BT, no FM Radio) had a boot-loop at "quietly brilliant?" maybe CLEAR STORAGE to get out of boot loop is the "bug"?? (although I think when i was in bootloop the usb port wasn't responding so i could not reflash, i don't remember).

Guest slamslugeren
i wonder how many people WITH bricked phones (no USB, no BT, no FM Radio) had a boot-loop at "quietly brilliant?" maybe CLEAR STORAGE to get out of boot loop is the "bug"?? (although I think when i was in bootloop the usb port wasn't responding so i could not reflash, i don't remember).

When it happened to me it just started normally, no bootloop, but I didn't had sim, SD,bt.

Guest stevebrush

same here, can't cat this, missing on my usb-bricked device :-)

Guest kingoffail

/sys is a dynamic filesystem populated by the kernel.

As speculated in the deleted thread and on IRC, something (possible multiple failed reboots) has triggered a special debug mode. The configuration for this is likely stored somewhere in nvram.