30/Jun r5 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero now with Online Kitchen - Android 2.1

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Incomer
I'm getting a constant Google Apps process failure which means I can't actually use this ROM :D

try to rebake your rom and reflash + wipe everything :lol:, have fixed it for me..

Guest AlThePost

Baked an r5 ROM and flashed it last night after a factory reset + EXT/dalvik wipe. No problems to report at all.... it's been rock-solid all day. Thanks Paul! :lol:

Guest duvelr
Hi,

I've just flashed several times r4 build 3 with A2SD in my HTC Hero (no Orange version, just a factory-free one). I previously made an SD repartitioning (with ext3), a full wipe and a reboot. After flashing the ROM and rebooting, I fall in the boot loop with the following errors:

The process com.htc.bg has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again

The application HTC Sense (process com.htc.launcher) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again

And never get out of here.

Any ideas on how to solve that?

Thanks in advance and great job!!

Hola vaalva! Here is how I did:

r4 build 3 with A2SD + 2.1 radio in my HTC Hero (T-Mobile G2 Touch, UK). From a MoDaCo Custom Custom ROM 2.9 for GSM

1. Nandroid v2.2 backup;

2. Part SD:fat32+ext2+swap;

3. Wipe data/factory reset;

4. Apply sdcard:choose zip ====> ROM;

5. Apply sdcard:choose zip ====> Radio;

6. Reboot system;

I've been playing with the beast for 12 hours and everything seems to work perfectly, and faster.

Baked an r5 ROM and flashed it last night after a factory reset + EXT/dalvik wipe. No problems to report at all.... it's been rock-solid all day. Thanks Paul! :lol:

I have seen the Launcher/Sense desktop crash a twice in 24 hours (big green "HTC" logo only on white background). It recovers quite quickly, but still..

(I'll see if I can capture the crash message.)

TBX

Edited by TBX

Guest philos64

About replicate the structure of my Htc Hero bake and install the rom, is there a particular path?

What is the exact path?

I seems to have replicate a bad path for my bake, that's while I've got this message when I'm going to my Sdcard :

java.io. IOException: java.io. IOException: socket failed to connect.

Can you help me.

ps: sorry for my english....

Guest TheMrMay

My ROM has stopped boot looping, and now boots correctly. I wiped it and rebaked a new one. Hurrah!

I also upgraded the ext2 partition on my SD card to ext3. However, apps2sd doesn't work on my new r5 rom. I dont think it worked on the first r5 i used. I've partitioned 256mb ext3 and the rest is fat32, no swap. I also ticked the A2SD box in kitchen.

Is everyone else's a2sd working? What am I doing wrong?

I've partitioned 256mb ext3 and the rest is fat32, no swap.

I think FAT32 partition has to be the first one. I partitioned my sdcard a while ago while people were still saying that "swap was a must", but as you can see, the first paritition is FAT32:

# fdisk -l /dev/block/mmcblk0

Disk /dev/block/mmcblk0: 8166 MB, 8166309888 bytes
4 heads, 16 sectors/track, 249216 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 64 * 512 = 32768 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/block/mmcblk0p1 1 228882 7324218+ c Win95 FAT32 (LBA)
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary
/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 228882 248169 617189 83 Linux
/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 248170 249216 33504 82 Linux swap
[/codebox]

TBX

Edited by TBX

Guest wabe

How should I use Titanium to restore when upgrading to this ROM? Currently running Modaco 2.9. Since this is based on a new android version I assume not everything should be restored? Anyone has advice to share?

Guest toxic-hero
How should I use Titanium to restore when upgrading to this ROM? Currently running Modaco 2.9. Since this is based on a new android version I assume not everything should be restored? Anyone has advice to share?

true. the safest way is only to restore third party apps, not the system ones. if you have the time and the patience you can also experiment with restoring some system apps but you have to expect endless FCs and must be prepared to reflash the rom.

oh, and if you'd play with system apps, restore only the data, not the app itself. i've managed to get back my sms messages after restoring some data with titanium backup and restarting the phone.

Edited by toxic-hero

Guest Carjigo

Hi, I tried to install the r5 and 10 times and always left me in a loop den brylliant screen, I have tried all ways without wipes, three wipes, with five wipes in ext3, in ext2. and nothing stays in a loop.

any suggestions?

thanks and congratulations for your work

regards

Guest toxic-hero
Hi, I tried to install the r5 and 10 times and always left me in a loop den brylliant screen, I have tried all ways without wipes, three wipes, with five wipes in ext3, in ext2. and nothing stays in a loop.

have you tried to reformat your SD card?

Guest TheMrMay
I think FAT32 partition has to be the first one. I partitioned my sdcard a while ago while people were still saying that "swap was a must", but as you can see, the first paritition is FAT32:

Ah right ok, well I'll try that. How do I go about setting the order of partitions? I used Amon Ra's recovery image to partition it last time, but that doesn't give me an option for order?

Oh, and I can't use the ADB shell either, it's a long story (W7 PC doesn't find Hero when connected, driver issue, major annoyance... it caused problems here too: http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero...obile-g2-touch/ )

Is there an alternative way of partitioning the card in order?

Guest Carjigo
have you tried to reformat your SD card?

I have formatted 3 times, and will not boot, I have a card 8GB Class 4.

regards

Is there an alternative way of partitioning the card in order?

If you cannot use your Windows system, I'd grab a LiveCD with GPartED on it and boot that. That _should_ detect your phone's sdcard as a USB flash drive so you can partition it.

Try GNU Partition Editor, it has a shiny GUI: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/screenshots.php

TBX

Edited by TBX

Guest vatvedt

What radio is recommended using with the R5 2.1 ROM?

I have a rooted European (bought in Norway) Hero with MCR 3.2, radio version 63.18.55.06IU_6.35.08.22.

Should I update the radio when I flash the new R5 2.1 ROM?

Edited by vatvedt

Guest 0815simon
Do we need one? :lol:

P

Yes :-) Pleeeaaase. With VPN kernel-modules for the get-a-robot-vpnc app. Need that for Cisco VPN access in the university.

Guest toxic-hero
I have formatted 3 times, and will not boot, I have a card 8GB Class 4.

you said before that you WIPED three times. there's a difference between wiping a partition and reformating the whole SD card.

anyway, i'm just guessing...

EDIT: maybe you should try to do as duvelr did up in post #604.

Edited by toxic-hero

Guest JamieGrossman
Prebakes online...

P

thank you for the pre-bakes!! i'm on UK orange modaco 4 R4 with the latest radio image, but it's gotten quite laggy since i first installed it .. not sure if it's the new radio image. anyway, to install R5, is it recommended that we do a complete wipe like from 3.2 to 4.0?

thanks for yoru work!!!!

Guest toxic-hero
to install R5, is it recommended that we do a complete wipe like from 3.2 to 4.0?

i didn't do a wipe between r4 and r5 and it's working ok. i don't think you have to do wipes between 2.1 ROMs (well, except if you encounter troubles).

Edited by toxic-hero