30/Jun r5 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero now with Online Kitchen - Android 2.1

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest MadMatt2002

Hi,

Took the plunge and baked a 2.1 image including A2SD, previously on MCR 3.2

All works well, with one exception.

If I access the list of all the applications installed on the phone, by pressing the left hand soft key on the Sense Home screen, the list of apps slowly appears, but it appears that the list of apps is being built up each time.

The apps list "stutters" as the list of apps builds up. It can take 3 or 4 seconds to complete.

Does anyone have any suggestions as too what might be causing this?

Many thanks

Matthew

Guest sheridan2000
Hi,

Took the plunge and baked a 2.1 image including A2SD, previously on MCR 3.2

All works well, with one exception.

If I access the list of all the applications installed on the phone, by pressing the left hand soft key on the Sense Home screen, the list of apps slowly appears, but it appears that the list of apps is being built up each time.

The apps list "stutters" as the list of apps builds up. It can take 3 or 4 seconds to complete.

Does anyone have any suggestions as too what might be causing this?

Many thanks

Matthew

Have you downloaded spareparts and changed the animation/transition settings to fast??

Guest Don/Donald/Donnie

Just upped to r5.

-Wiped everything (as in system, dalvik cache, battery and orientation)

-Repartitioned SD with 1GB Ext2 (upgraded to Ext3 after) and remaining FAT32 (on an 8GB card)

-Baked own ROM (so not one of the default downloads)

-Applied ROM

-Set up phone

-Rebooted phone

Everything working really well, speed is as good as any other release based ROM.

Getting FCs on com.htc.bgp (which I was also getting on the previous 2.1 MoDaCo release). I'm not able to reliably replicate the problem.

Is there anything I can do to help with getting to the bottom of this? I can see from searching the message boards that I am not the only one experiencing this issue.

Cheers

Don

Hi! Why the new version dont have Wireless Tether?

Thanks for all

.. because you can grab it from the Market? (Apart from the obvious: this pre-release probably just has the "basics" to make sure that it is stable.)

TBX

Getting FCs on com.htc.bgp (which I was also getting on the previous 2.1 MoDaCo release). I'm not able to reliably replicate the problem.

Is there anything I can do to help with getting to the bottom of this? I can see from searching the message boards that I am not the only one experiencing this issue.

Cheers

Don

I think you should be able to see quite a lot of information if you view the Exception list in the Dev Tools app (if you have this installed; the Kitchen has an option to include this).

If not, your options are limited to adb logcat, ConnectBot and a local shell or a log collector (search for "Log Collector" in the Market).

TBX

PS: I am also experiencing FC's. The Launcher seems to die quite reliably if I have been using the Market App for a while.

Edited by TBX

What radio is recommended using with the R5 2.1 ROM?

I have a rooted European (bought in Norway) Hero with MCR 3.2, radio version 63.18.55.06IU_6.35.08.22.

Should I update the radio when I flash the new R5 2.1 ROM?

FWIW, I have 63.18.55.06PU_6.35.15.11 working fine on Telenor, but have no idea if this is better or worse than what you are running.

TBX

just installed R5. everything was good until i tried connecting the phone to my PC. there was no option showing up how i want to connect the phone like use it as a drive or charge only. tried to do it manually via the settings menu by setting the default connection to drive but it still did not work. any suggestions?

Did you include HTC Sync when you baked it?

TBX

Guest tiekenei

So far everything is working well, except for that incredibly annoying Facebook bug. com.htc.bgp keeps dying on me (had the same with BeHero+ and the rooted Taiwan 2.1 ROM). It's driving me nuts!

Nothing seems to work!

Have removed and re-added Facebook for HTC Sense in Facebook settings, have removed Facebook account in sync settings multiple times, changed password, .. Nothing!

Guest theFRAGGLE
To use A2SD(+), you should partition your SD card to have a FAT32 partition first, then an EXT3 partition second.

If I do the partition with the rescue boot image I can only create EXT2/3 first and then FAT32...

So at the moment my A2SD does NOT work...

Any ideas? Have I create the partitions another way?

Everything is running smooth now, except the A2SD...

Guest gangreu

Guys today HTC release Kernel Source for Hero... can we expect some changes in Modaco Custom Rom, or not? (sorry if my question is noob, just curiosity)

Edited by gangreu

Guest neoclassic
Yes, i'm working with teknologist to do a custom kernel. :)

P

Hey Paul, when we get our hands on Desire's 2.2 upgrade, will you have any plans to port it to the Hero?

Custom kernel + Sense + flash 10.1 :D

Guest uk786
Yes, i'm working with teknologist to do a custom kernel. :D

P

Please fix the pre-bakes make them them like the ones on 3.2 modoco custom ROM, with core download and enhanced add-on and boot sounds add-on and make wavesecure a separate. add-on..and oh please fix the A2SD problem :)

Guest vatvedt
FWIW, I have 63.18.55.06PU_6.35.15.11 working fine on Telenor, but have no idea if this is better or worse than what you are running.

TBX

Thanks, I updated to 6.35.15.11 and it's been working pretty good here as well (Tele2, ergo NetCom), but my GPS sometimes take a minute or two to lock, even though I'm in open terrain. Haven't tested it that much yet, but it seems like it takes 1-2 minutes. It's not a big problem, but a quicker GPS lock should be welcome. Don't know what to expect, really.

Anyone tried the 6.35.15.14 radio?

If I do the partition with the rescue boot image I can only create EXT2/3 first and then FAT32...

So at the moment my A2SD does NOT work...

Any ideas? Have I create the partitions another way?

Everything is running smooth now, except the A2SD...

Boot a LiveCD of GPartEd. See earlier post in this thread..

TBX

Guest cortiis

Just flashed 2.1.

Stuck in the White quietly brilliant loop.

Did everything right (I hope)

1) Wipe/Factory reset

2) Wipe Dalvik Cache

3) Update Zip from kitchen.

any ideas folks? Am a bit worried.

Guest dduk
Just flashed 2.1.

Stuck in the White quietly brilliant loop.

Did everything right (I hope)

1) Wipe/Factory reset

2) Wipe Dalvik Cache

3) Update Zip from kitchen.

any ideas folks? Am a bit worried.

Is it in a loop, or just showing the white screen? Look closely at the bottom, is there a green bar moving (slowly)?

Guest cortiis
Is it in a loop, or just showing the white screen? Look closely at the bottom, is there a green bar moving (slowly)?

Its in a loop.

The first time the green bar was there. It finished and now every 1 minute the same quietly brilliant screen comes up without the green bar, screen goes black for a second and again same white quietly brilliant thing.

Edit: I just plucked out the memory card and the phone booted just fine. What can be the issue? Any ideas folks. Its a memory card issue for sure.

Formatted and partitioned the card. Everything working fine.

Thanks Paul. Looks like taking up a Modaco Ad free account was a good idea.

Edited by cortiis

Guest gangreu
Yes, i'm working with teknologist to do a custom kernel. :)

P

WOW nice!!

I'm very happy with R5 (fast, stable, good battery life), but new tweaks are welcome!

Ty Paul

Guest sik_gerar

ok i could use some help here. I do have my partition well done (first fat32, then ext3), where i used to have fat32+ext4+swap on mcr3.1.

my problem is it won't mount /dev/block/mmc... to /system/sd and hence will not be able to run a2sd. i can copy by hand and do the hardlinks, but will that do the job? i dont think so.

any clue? im not running the kitchen, just a prebaked rom.

Guest theFRAGGLE
Boot a LiveCD of GPartEd. See earlier post in this thread..

Thanks for the tip! Tried GParted, notived that my partitions are already in the correct order (LOL!), wiped everything, created new partitions with the recovery image, installed r5-kitchen with A2SD+ - and everything IS working!

Great. Happy again. :)

Guest rayboy
Its in a loop.

The first time the green bar was there. It finished and now every 1 minute the same quietly brilliant screen comes up without the green bar, screen goes black for a second and again same white quietly brilliant thing.

Edit: I just plucked out the memory card and the phone booted just fine. What can be the issue? Any ideas folks. Its a memory card issue for sure.

Formatted and partitioned the card. Everything working fine.

Thanks Paul. Looks like taking up a Modaco Ad free account was a good idea.

I tried r3, r4, r5, nothing worked. Tried removing the SD, tried wiping it, tried repartitioning it with just fat32, nothing worked. Baked r5 without a2sd, still no good. PLEASE does anyone have any more ideas, any pointers

Guest ndall

Would like some help deciding whether to use a kitchen-baked rom with A2SD. This will involve the hassle of backing up and repartioning my SD card as ext3 is currently my second partition.

If I wait a bit is there likely to be a new release which means I don't have to bother? (Is this something the custom kernel can address?) Would this also mean I don't have to reinstall all my apps if they're still sitting on the ext3 partition? Any idea how long might I have to wait?

You can probably tell my extreme laziness is only matched by my impatience for 2.1. Any information that could help break the deadlock would be gratefully received.

Edited by ndall

Guest vatvedt
Would like some help deciding whether to use a kitchen-baked rom with A2SD. This will involve the hassle of backing up and repartioning my SD card as ext3 is currently my second partition.

Why repartition? The ext3 is supposed to be the second partition. I went with A2SD+ and it worked great :) IMO it's worth it, but to each it's own, I guess. :D It's always smart to do a backup either way though. I have a 16GB claff 6 card, and to back it up didn't take too long.

I did repartition though, cause I had an ext4 partition. Then partitioned it again through Amon RA's recovery, upgraded ext2 to ext3, and all is well.

Titanium Backup will easily backup and restore your apps with data, just be careful to not restore system data, if you're coming from 1.5. Might give you a FC loop.