Fake-flash by Koush, launching recovery on your device without a PC

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest nekromantik
Lovely, working fine on my Desire, just flashed a FroYo ROM and gonna restore now to my original ROM!

let me know how it goes :)

are you going to just restore your backup or flash a cleam ROM?

Edited by nekromantik

Guest nikosrs4
Regarding the A2SD partition. Even if ext3 support is present in the kernel (my Desire has it), the backup still fails because recovery tries to mount A2SD partition as EXT4. I made a quick hack to enable A2SD backup and it seems to be working on my Desire.

can you upload it somewhere else?

thanks

Guest nekromantik

has the rom manager been updated with the ext fix that HTC Desire Owner created?

or do we still need to apply it before we backup?

Guest Jase Winter

Hi guys, I have a question hopefully someone can help me out with.

I've just downloaded rom manager and have a question about the 'partition SD card' option. When I first rooted my phone I used the stock rooted rom and installed apps2sd seperately. According to the rooting guide I used (windows only one from the android forums) I had to wipe the cache, then wipe the dalvik cache, then flash the apps2sd update zip, then partition the card and upgrade ext2 to ext3 . I'm currently using the Modaco r3.1 custom rom with apps2sd+ and used the new fake flash recovery to flash the rom itself but went back in using the old recovery to wipe both the cache and dalvik cache before partitioning the sd card and upgrading ext2 to ext3, I did it this way as I was unsure of how to do it with the new recovery and didn't want to mess anything up.

So my question is this, firstly does the partion sd card option in rom manager do all of the above for you if you have flashed a rom with apps2sd included and if not, how do I go about doing it in the recovery screen itself?

I would greatly appreciate any help, to show my support I downloaded the premium licence key as well!

Thanks,

Jase.

Guest Dr_Ash

ok, I have a question, sorry if it's stupid...

I have installed Rom Manager and am able to reboot into recovery via the option in Rom Manager. Do I need to run the update.zip or can I just flash the rom I want without doing this first? Is flashing the update.zip required before i flash other roms?

Guest Nicke
let me know how it goes :)

are you going to just restore your backup or flash a cleam ROM?

I did a backup. Flashed a new rom (no clean/wipe) and tried the rom for some time and then i restored the nandroid backup.

Worked great!

Guest nekromantik
I did a backup. Flashed a new rom (no clean/wipe) and tried the rom for some time and then i restored the nandroid backup.

Worked great!

Nice one

I just installed a 2.2 ROM

already miss Sense ha ha but flash is nice

bit offtopic but anyone know of any apps on 2.2 that can add facebook pix onto your phone contacts?

Guest snear
Still seems to be no ext in in Clockwork Recovery 1.8.1.9 :-(

there isnt :) surely its easy to add if its already been done by htc desire owner??

please add to rom manager koush? :)

Guest Pieronip

I am trying to use HTC Desire Owner's fix to allow backup of EXT. I enter Clockwork Recovery, flash update-a2sd then do a Nandroid backup. EXT still fails.

When I try some of the code used earlier in this thread to check FSTAB I get the following results.

# cat /proc/filesystems | grep ext
cat /proc/filesystems | grep ext
ext3
ext2
ext4
# cat /etc/fstab | grep sd-ex
cat /etc/fstab | grep sd-ex
cat: can't open '/etc/fstab': No such file or directory
# mount
mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (ro)
tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=600)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
tmpfs on /sqlite_stmt_journals type tmpfs (rw,size=4096k)
none on /dev/cpuctl type cgroup (rw,cpu)
/dev/block/mtdblock3 on /system type yaffs2 (ro)
/dev/block/mtdblock5 on /data type yaffs2 (rw,nosuid,nodev)
/dev/block/mtdblock4 on /cache type yaffs2 (rw,nosuid,nodev)
tmpfs on /app-cache type tmpfs (rw,size=8192k)
/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 on /system/sd type ext2 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,errors=conti
nue)
/dev/block//vold/179:1 on /sdcard type vfat (rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,uid=
1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=is
o8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro)
# ls sd-ext
ls sd-ext
ls: sd-ext: No such file or directory
#
[/codebox]

Am I in the wrong mode? The above is entered via ADB Shell with the phone operating normally - ie not in recovery.

Can HTC Desire Owner or anyone suggest what I am doing wrong?

EDIT: Should have said I am using MoDaCo Cusotm ROM latest version as of 3 days ago.

Thanks

Edited by Pieronip

Guest Pieronip

^^^^

Sorry - answered my own question (partly). The phone has to be in recovery for the previous code to work so here is the correct output.

~ # cat /proc/filesystems | grep ext
cat /proc/filesystems | grep ext
ext3
ext2

~ # cat /etc/fstab | grep sd-ex
cat /etc/fstab | grep sd-ex
/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /sd-ext auto rw

~ # mount -r /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
mount -r /dev/block/mmcblk0p2

~ # mount | grep sd-ext
mount | grep sd-ext
/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 on /sd-ext type ext2 (ro,errors=continue)

~ # ls /sd-ext
ls /sd-ext
app app-private dalvik-cache lost+found

~ # uname -a
uname -a
Linux localhost 2.6.29-97da29ed #1 PREEMPT Mon Mar 15 20:17:52 CST 2010 armv7l GNU/Linux[/codebox]

I think, form my minute knowledge that this is OK so why won't the update-A2SD work?

TIA

Guest squrl

1.8.2.0 does not work at all. It just shows a phone icon with a red question mark an after few seconds the phone reboots.

Edited by squrl

Guest Chura

Hey,

I have 1.8.1.7 (Where do you see newer version).

I did nanrdoid backup, but i cant see the files in the /sdcard/nandroid folder.

how come ?

Guest Nicke
Hey,

I have 1.8.1.7 (Where do you see newer version).

I did nanrdoid backup, but i cant see the files in the /sdcard/nandroid folder.

how come ?

Install and use "Rom Manager" to get the latest version.

Your backups are in /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup

Guest squrl
1.8.2.0 does not work at all. It just shows a phone icon with a red question mark an after few seconds the phone reboots.

The recovery itself wasn't the issue, it was the ROM Manager. I reverted from 1.8.8.7 back to 1.8.8.1 and it's working flawlessly. Still no EXT backup though.

A quick question: when flashing a new rom, i should perform a full wipe. But I can see too many option in this recovery:

wipe boot

wipe cache

then, under partition menu, I see I can also:

format boot

format system..., but in addition, I can also format the sd ext-partition. So what's the difference between WIPING and FORMATTING?

Edited by pina

Guest nekromantik
A quick question: when flashing a new rom, i should perform a full wipe. But I can see too many option in this recovery:

wipe boot

wipe cache

then, under partition menu, I see I can also:

format boot

format system..., but in addition, I can also format the sd ext-partition. So what's the difference between WIPING and FORMATTING?

they both the same

just to be safe use factory reset and then format cache partition

they both the same

just to be safe use factory reset and then format cache partition

so if I would like to perform a full wipe, I just have to go through all the format-commands? :)