Hardware hacking this puppy, input?

Guest popetodd

Guest Spike8585
do you know whats the fastest 2gm microdhcsd in the market?

has anyone benched internal stock card except that one guy??

The only extensive list that I found that includes random access times is from this site.

It look a little old, as the largest card on the chart is 4GB. Maybe just to get an idea.

Good question, have you looked at the script, and see what it does when you enter the nobaseband option ? if it flashes boot.img, that's no good, but if it doesn't, you're all good !

EDIT : just checked, the nobaseband option doesn't seem to flash a specific boot.img, so there should be no probs !

Thank you!

Edited by Spike8585

Guest Spike8585

I just re-read this whole thread, to make sure I understood it all. I don't, but I think I get the gist of it.

I bought a 4GB Class 10 card.

I can format 2GB of it as an ext3 partition, and leave the rest unallocated.

Then copy over the contents from my original 2gb internal SD? Or do I have to flash a new ROM? Or with the 2GB partition, could I do a factory reset, or would that format the card?

I think if I don't care about mounting a second partition, then I don't have to worry about the modified boot.

Could somebody please tell me if I am on the right path?

I don't want to bother making this complicated to get a measly 2gb (remaining unallocated from 4GB card), when I also bought a 16GB class 10, for the user accessible slot.

Also, when people are referring to a data partition and a cache partition, the cache partition is where the OS and the apps get installed to. Is that right?

Thanks for any assistance.

Edited by Spike8585

Guest kwenteen
I just re-read this whole thread, to make sure I understood it all. I don't, but I think I get the gist of it.

I bought a 4GB Class 10 card.

I can format 2GB of it as an ext3 partition, and leave the rest unallocated.

Then copy over the contents from my original 2gb internal SD? Or do I have to flash a new ROM? Or with the 2GB partition, could I do a factory reset, or would that format the card?

I think if I don't care about mounting a second partition, then I don't have to worry about the modified boot.

Could somebody please tell me if I am on the right path?

I don't want to bother making this complicated to get a measly 2gb (remaining unallocated from 4GB card), when I also bought a 16GB class 10, for the user accessible slot.

Also, when people are referring to a data partition and a cache partition, the cache partition is where the OS and the apps get installed to. Is that right?

Thanks for any assistance.

Unfortunatelly, wheter you want it or not, your sd is bigger than 2 gb, then you ll have to install the special boot.img, because your innersd will be bigger than 2gb, and won t be recognized by the base system... it s no big deal thus, just replace the original boot.img by the other one provided here !

Sorry fir bad writting, it s. Almost 3 am, friday night... :lol:

Unfortunatelly, wheter you want it or not, your sd is bigger than 2 gb, then you ll have to install the special boot.img, because your innersd will be bigger than 2gb, and won t be recognized by the base system... it s no big deal thus, just replace the original boot.img by the other one provided here !

Sorry fir bad writting, it s. Almost 3 am, friday night... :lol:

I'm probably missing something but i'll ask anyway. I was just reading about someone who put in a 6GB internal card and just worked.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=917825

Is this cause he is using stock froyo ?

Guest kwenteen
I'm probably missing something but i'll ask anyway. I was just reading about someone who put in a 6GB internal card and just worked.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=917825

Is this cause he is using stock froyo ?

I know that in earlier versions of streakoid, Stepen Hyde did de-activate the automount option and manually mounted /data and /cache folders. This option prevented factory reset, so in newer versions, it returned back to automount option, that is not compatible with big µSD. I did try with my 32 GB, and without the hack, it doesn't work...

but maybe the software treshold is not only due to capacity, but also speed, or luck ! All I know is that I was told that anything bigger than 2GB won't work directly with the classic boot.img, and in my case it was right...

You can just try, and see by yourself whether it works or not, and if it doesn't, flash the adapted boot.img, and it will work !

I know that in earlier versions of streakoid, Stepen Hyde did de-activate the automount option and manually mounted /data and /cache folders. This option prevented factory reset, so in newer versions, it returned back to automount option, that is not compatible with big µSD. I did try with my 32 GB, and without the hack, it doesn't work...

but maybe the software treshold is not only due to capacity, but also speed, or luck ! All I know is that I was told that anything bigger than 2GB won't work directly with the classic boot.img, and in my case it was right...

You can just try, and see by yourself whether it works or not, and if it doesn't, flash the adapted boot.img, and it will work !

Thanks, I have been wanting to take the plunge but not entirely sure of all the steps once I get the card in. Do I use adb or clockwork to flash the img then us a nandroid backup and thats it?

this is a great thread.

Guest kwenteen
Thanks, I have been wanting to take the plunge but not entirely sure of all the steps once I get the card in. Do I use adb or clockwork to flash the img then us a nandroid backup and thats it?

this is a great thread.

before opening your device, follow the steps given earlier in this post by stephen davidson to copy what's in your innersd to your new one, just by putting it temporary in the external slot, then you'll be able to make the swap, and by just flashing with flashboot the new boot.img provided here, you should be done, if all that you want is a faster card of course, If you proceed this way, you won't have access to your extra new space, for this you need an extra step, by manually mounting your innersd into your external sd, so it is user accessible. If you don't do that, you'll be able to access the extra space from the innersd under the /intsd folder, but won't be analyzed for media content by the system.

boujou bien,

And good luck,

K.

Guest Spike8585

this is a great thread.

Which card are you planning to use?

Please do benchmarks before and after your mod.

I have a 4GB and a 16gb Patriot LX Class 10 uSD's in the mail.

Guest Spike8585

Could we get a boot.img for the new 1.6.1 please?

I should get my cards in tomorrow.

If anyone wants any before and after info/benchmarks, please state your request.

Guest kwenteen
Could we get a boot.img for the new 1.6.1 please?

I should get my cards in tomorrow.

If anyone wants any before and after info/benchmarks, please state your request.

I will look at it tomorrow, but I'm not closely following the last mod DJ_Steve put on 161,the data2ext that mess with the usual partitions...

If anyone with 161 is willing to paste a result from a mount command launched with adb, I would be grateful !

I don't wan't to pull a modified boot that will interfere with this new boot.img... so please help me to find out if it's compatible !

Spike8585, would you agree to upgrade to 161 BEFORE putting your new micro SD ? in this way, you could first try 161, then I will give you the modified boot.img, that works also with non-modded streak, and if it works, you'll be happy to swap the innersd !

and if it doesn't work, no big deal, just flashboot the original boot.img from 161...

If you're ok that would be of great help !

boujou bien !

K.

Guest Spike8585
I will look at it tomorrow, but I'm not closely following the last mod DJ_Steve put on 161,the data2ext that mess with the usual partitions...

If anyone with 161 is willing to paste a result from a mount command launched with adb, I would be grateful !

I don't wan't to pull a modified boot that will interfere with this new boot.img... so please help me to find out if it's compatible !

Spike8585, would you agree to upgrade to 161 BEFORE putting your new micro SD ? in this way, you could first try 161, then I will give you the modified boot.img, that works also with non-modded streak, and if it works, you'll be happy to swap the innersd !

and if it doesn't work, no big deal, just flashboot the original boot.img from 161...

If you're ok that would be of great help !

boujou bien !

K.

Hey, sure, I just installed 1.6.1.

I don't mind doing any of that.

Just tell me what I need to do.

Thanks.

Guest kwenteen
Hey, sure, I just installed 1.6.1.

I don't mind doing any of that.

Just tell me what I need to do.

Thanks.

Hello !

sorry, could you just provide the mount result with 1.6.1, so I can compare with the usual mount ?

Will post the boot.img later !

Guest Spike8585
Hello !

sorry, could you just provide the mount result with 1.6.1, so I can compare with the usual mount ?

Will post the boot.img later !

Sorry, could you please elaborate?

I dont really know how to do that.

thanks.

Guest kwenteen
Sorry, could you please elaborate?

I dont really know how to do that.

thanks.

connect your phone to your computer, then launch a shell from your terminal (dunno if you are under win or nux, so can't tell you the exact command), but should be like that :

adb shell

then it should launch the daemon to connect to the device, and if it works, you should be on the phone's terminal :

then type :

mount

and that's it, copy the result of the command here please, so I can see if everything is mounted like usual, or if the innersd was formatted in a new way...

and here is the boot.img, but wait a little before trying it !

:)

edit : grrr... seems like I can't upload anything, keeps saying initializing attachments....

I'll try to PM you... :lol:

redit : was on streak user agent, the forum seems to filter that... here it is ! :) boot161.img

Edited by kwenteen

Guest Matt Bernius

I have a huge favor to ask of one of your hardware hackers. The next time you've got a Streak apart, can you look into something for me? I've been trying to figure out for a while a couple things about the wiring of the audio jack.

1. Is any power supplied to the jack? Ie. Is it in any way capable of powering a mic that would be attached to it?

2. How, in terms of input and output is that jack wired? I know that the possibilities are left, right, mic, and ground (unless Dell has added something additional in there) -- the question is which is which.

Dell has been less than helpful with this, and the specific specs are not available on the web. :lol: So I'm turning to ya'lls who are far brighter and braver than me when it comes to taking apart the Streak.

Once I have this info, I can finally write up a guide for using external mics with the Streak.

Thanks!

Guest Spike8585

Ok, so incase anyone wants to know, this does work with 1.6.1 ;)

Do you think I could mount my extra space at /system/app?

Is that where the applications are stored?

Guest kwenteen
How come this post isn't stickied ?

because if you have a look on the number of downloaded boot.img files from the last 161 for example, you'll see that not many people are actually using this mod !

;)

Guest popetodd

OK, I waited a while. ;)

So is it stable, and more importantly does it break any of the 1.6.1 StreakDroid optimizations or install routines?

Edited by popetodd

Guest kwenteen
OK, I waited a while. ;)

So does it work, is it stable, and more importantly does it break any of the 1.6.1 StreakDroid optimizations or install routines?

Dunno... I think it works quite ok, spike used it, seems to work, but he's having troubles with his new external µSD...

I checked the mount options from the 161, and it seems to be compatible !

I'm Still using it with 160, I don't feel the urge to go to 161 and have to reset all again... but at least I'm sure it's working like a charm for 160 !

for the install routines of 161, I started to add this mod as a new option, but DJ_Steve is not interested to include it. So it's as easy to just replace the boot.img from the archive with the modified one. This means that you shouldn't select any option that would load a different boot.img than the original one, else it won't work. So no loudspeaker mod for example !

you can check by yourself which option is still available, in the korinstaller file, if there is no flashing process in the option, you're good !

boujou bien,

K.