22/Jul r3 (JG5) - MoDaCo Custom ROM for Samsung Galaxy S with Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest cdmackay

Just to ask the obvious, please: if I flash the JG1 ROM, over stock JFB, on my new phone, is that going to wipe apps, data, etc?

Or does that depend on whether I select "re-partition" in Odin? And what are the pros/cons of that decision?

Unfortunately, I'm not able to backup properly with Titanium, because I'm not yet rooted. Should I root first (which method?) then backup, then flash JG1?

Is the 513 PIT from s-f the one to use? I saw a mention of 512, but was that for some other specific purpose?

apols for all the questions; thanks much indeed for any comments

Guest cdmackay
Just to ask the obvious, please: if I flash the JG1 ROM, over stock JFB, on my new phone, is that going to wipe apps, data, etc?

Or does that depend on whether I select "re-partition" in Odin? And what are the pros/cons of that decision?

Unfortunately, I'm not able to backup properly with Titanium, because I'm not yet rooted. Should I root first (which method?) then backup, then flash JG1?

Is the 513 PIT from s-f the one to use? I saw a mention of 512, but was that for some other specific purpose?

apols for all the questions; thanks much indeed for any comments

Answered most of my own questions, for a change :angry:

rooting: followed this easy method: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=728754

but could still do with some comments on Odin "re-partition" and which PIT to use, please.

Guest jpippin86

I am a new end-user to the android and am totally loving it. But out of curiosity i just purchased a Samsung Captivate AKA Galaxy S. Would that mean that this Custom ROM is compatible with my phone? Didn't know if there is differences?.

Thanks!!!!!

Guest kalpik

^^ NO.. This ROM is not compatible with Samsung Captive.. This ROM is only for the international version of the Galaxy S (GT-I9000)

On another note.. R3 Paul?

Guest seraphine

Maybe the thread should read MoDaCo Custom ROM for Samsung GT-I9000 (Galaxy S) or something like that?

^^ NO.. This ROM is not compatible with Samsung Captive.. This ROM is only for the international version of the Galaxy S (GT-I9000)

On another note.. R3 Paul?

Guest gravityz3r0
Answered most of my own questions, for a change :angry:

rooting: followed this easy method: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=728754

but could still do with some comments on Odin "re-partition" and which PIT to use, please.

Hey there, from my experience, which i have done to my own phone (generic Galaxy S) without any issue, it depends on which firmware that you use :

JG1 + 513 pit file + NO Repartition (unchecked)

or

JG5 + 512 pit file + Repartition (checked).

Cheers!

Guest cdmackay
Hey there, from my experience, which i have done to my own phone (generic Galaxy S) without any issue, it depends on which firmware that you use :

JG1 + 513 pit file + NO Repartition (unchecked)

or

JG5 + 512 pit file + Repartition (checked).

thanks much indeed; I'll give it a try.

Guest gravityz3r0
Who tested this with the new firmware JG5 ??

What is your opinion?

Thnx

I realized that since i've applied JG5, my battery consumption has always been a lil on the high side. Have anyone experienced the same?

Or maybe is it because of the battery meter being skewed after a few flashes like what have been reported by few people? Maybe i should erase the batterystat.bin thingy.

Edited by gravityz3r0

Hi Paul.

Is it possible for you to make r3 with the JG5 firmware, and JIT (this is what Sera's JIT rom used), with the Mimocan's 'real fix' (v4) in it too? From the feedback I have seen, it appears both those tweaks seem to improve the speed by a lot, so having that on the JG5 (appears to be the current best/fastest) would be great :angry:.

I tried to achieve it myself, I was prepared to fiddle around with files, shells, reflashes, merge different tweaks/things that use the update.zip methode, etcetera, but then I found out the JIT files would need the JG5 firmware to be deodexed. That step was really too advanced for me.

Or at least a JG5 + JIT + usual MCR awesomeness so we can apply our own 'real fix' :D.

Thanks! ;).

Edit:

I just wondered. Is it possible that JG5 + MCR r2 + JIT files + Mimocan's 'real fix' would simply work if I do it myself?

Has anyone encountered any issues trying to run r2 on JG5 firmware?

Does JG5 + MCR r2 count as 'deodexed', so the Frozen Eclaire JIT could work?

Edited by jjwa

Guest AndyCr15

Yeah, doesn't Paul use a Galaxy S? I would have thought we'd have seen r3 by now :angry: It really needs JG5 and a proper Apps2SD.

Guest DistortedLoop
? Maybe i should erase the batterystat.bin thingy.

Couldn't hurt. Might help. I haven't notice battery life as an issue one way or another.

Guest dan 6a

I paid for this site :angry: I was expecting R3 by now as the first two were prompt.

Please do R3 for JG5 soon paul :D keep up the good work

Guest DistortedLoop
I installing this on the galaxy s US version and im getting all force close errors

what can i do now to eliminate all those.???

Which Galaxy S US version?

My brief experience with MCR 2 was that the SGS is unusable unless you also run one of the lag fixes and the market fix.

If you're using the Vibrant or Captivate, you're in pretty much uncharted territory as far as I know. Only a few people posting on here about those specific models that I've noticed, and they're reporting mixed results.

Good luck.

Guest zedeff

I flashed MCR2 on a Galaxy S India. However on first boot it shows TW ( Touch Wiz)force close and does not allow access to any functions. I finally had to re flash JG1 through Odin to get the phone to work.

Guest Darkstriker

Is the online-kitchen down? I can't seem to see it :S

Edit: Nevermind. I see it now :S

Edited by Darkstriker

Guest ppeccin

Hello! I new to the forum, and also new to Android, although I'm a tech person.

Please, can anyone explain me the conceptual difference between the process explained here to apply the MCR and the process to apply a different firmware (JG1 for instance) using Odin?

What is the difference between the two modes of the phone, as in POWER+HOME+VOLUP and POWER+HOME+VOLDOWN?

Can you always reflash a firmware using any of this modes in case something terrible happen?

Thanks,

Paulo

Guest jUsT2eXy
R3 will be out today or tomorrow, i'm working on it now! :angry:

P

hey. that is great news.

1 question... after installing r3 will we still have to used mimocan's 'Real fix for the "stalling/lagging" problem' ?

Edited by jUsT2eXy

Guest DistortedLoop
hey. that is great news.

1 question... after installing r3 will we still have to used mimocan's 'Real fix for the "stalling/lagging" problem' ?

Also should ask if we have to reverse it before trying R3. Mimocan's fix requires a custom kernel, so the answer probably yes unless Paul builds it into the kitchen/ROM.

Guest squidgyb

A quick question to Paul - is there any possibility you could build an update.zip signer application, much like the custom kitchen?

Even if it was just the custom kitchen with the option of de-selecting all addons, including the core, so we could sign our own update.zips?

I'm having a frustrating time trying to get everything I need together and working to play around with updates/roms! :angry:

Edited by squidgyb