FLB-MOD 3G issues

Guest Simon O

Guest Tom G

il_cholo contacted me about this issue around a week ago. I've been too busy with work recently to play with phones so haven't had much of a look at it.

What is the baseband version on the South American phones (with the original 1.5 rom)?

The T-Mob UK 1.5 (December update) baseband is 6383. Does this change with the 2.1 roms?

I downloaded the Movistar rom yesterday to take a look, but don't have it with me at the moment. I'll try to take a look at it tonight.

Edited by Tom G

Guest robot1000
I don't understand why O2 isn't working on this release. I haven't made any changes to the radio at all. I guess what you could do is flash the boot.img from FLB 1.0 beta5.1 using fastboot and see if that fixes 3G for you? If it does then there is something weird about the Tre kernel.

Edit: I've made a small flashable update which will downgrade the kernel to the T-Mobile version. This won't fix 3G issues for people that have never had working 3G with any 2.1 ROM but, if you had 3G working on older FLB versions, this should help you.

It contains the fixed startup scripts I edited along with the older kernel. Please try this and report back if it's worked or not. I can't find my Tesco sim card to test (they use O2 so would have been perfect).

http://flibblesan.co.uk/android/flbmod/tes...bmod_kernel.zip

Thanks for getting back quick with an update

I've tried flashing that through recovery, but I've received an error message:

"E:Syntax error in update script"

Guest Simon O
il_cholo contacted me about this issue around a week ago. I've been too busy with work recently to play with phones so haven't had much of a look at it.

What is the baseband version on the South American phones (with the original 1.5 rom)?

The T-Mob UK 1.5 (December update) baseband is 6383. Does this change with the 2.1 roms?

I downloaded the Movistar rom yesterday to take a look, but don't have it with me at the moment. I'll try to take a look at it tonight.

No, the 2.1 roms do not upgrade the baseband. It remains at 6383. The problem is that the libril files in the current 2.1 roms only provide support for 3G frequencies in the 2100 band. South America uses 1900. I really do not think using the files from a 1.5 rom will work (Movistar rom is 1.5). We really need Huawei to release 2.1 for South America to get the right files.

Guest Simon O
Thanks for getting back quick with an update

I've tried flashing that through recovery, but I've received an error message:

"E:Syntax error in update script"

I've fixed and uploaded again and flashed it on my phone so I know it works now :)

Guest robot1000
You have working 3G with O2 now?

Yep

It was set up on '2g data only' prior to flashing that zip and when I restarted the phone the '3g' symbol appeared and it now appears to work fine

Edited by robot1000

Guest Simon O
Yep

It was set up on '2g data only' prior to flashing that zip and when I restarted the phone the '3g' symbol appeared and it now appears to work fine

Great. At least that's one issue resolved.

Guest Tom G
No, the 2.1 roms do not upgrade the baseband. It remains at 6383. The problem is that the libril files in the current 2.1 roms only provide support for 3G frequencies in the 2100 band. South America uses 1900. I really do not think using the files from a 1.5 rom will work (Movistar rom is 1.5). We really need Huawei to release 2.1 for South America to get the right files.

I've tried the 1.5 libril files on 2.1 and can confirm it doesn't work (fails with a linking problem).

Guest makmondeja

Hi and thank you in advance for trying to fix this. I'm also in Movistar Chile. My 3G worked in 2.1 only with the trimmed version that Paul and Bobo did before the official update from T-Mo Hungary, the one that worked in the 1.5 partition. So maybe you can get those files in that one??

Guest Simon O
Hi and thank you in advance for trying to fix this. I'm also in Movistar Chile. My 3G worked in 2.1 only with the trimmed version that Paul and Bobo did before the official update from T-Mo Hungary, the one that worked in the 1.5 partition. So maybe you can get those files in that one??

That probably worked as the official 2.1 updates something on the phone. The files in that rom are the same.

Guest Andy Veliz

Actually, my provider in Chile (Claro) and Movistar Chile, are using the 850/900 band

=(

Guest Philippe Demartin

I'm in Chile also and also have 3G working with the PulseLite V2 on the same partition layout of the original 1.5.

I will return to it with my nandroid backup , try to extract the libs and place them on the FLB this afternoon.

Guest Simon O
I'm in Chile also and also have 3G working with the PulseLite V2 on the same partition layout of the original 1.5.

I will return to it with my nandroid backup , try to extract the libs and place them on the FLB this afternoon.

That won't work. The cut-down 2.1 roms work because when you are running 1.5 you haven't had your phone upgraded by the official 2.1 updates. These updates do more than just repartition the phones and I suspect it's the extra things they do which are breaking 3G for you. It possibly upgrades some firmware somewhere (but, oddly, not the baseband)

Guest il_cholo

what about grabbing those files from a 2.1 lationamerican phone like a milestone or something like that?

so far I know they are running on same hardware (except for the ram)

Is this an impossible mission? (maybe yes because all of you know kilometers more than me and you didn´t mention it, just wondering myself about this idea)

Guest Philippe Demartin
That won't work. The cut-down 2.1 roms work because when you are running 1.5 you haven't had your phone upgraded by the official 2.1 updates. These updates do more than just repartition the phones and I suspect it's the extra things they do which are breaking 3G for you. It possibly upgrades some firmware somewhere (but, oddly, not the baseband)

The point is that I HAVE 3G working with other 2.1 rom, so I hope to be hable to transfer those capacity to FLB

Guest Simon O
The point is that I HAVE 3G working with other 2.1 rom, so I hope to be hable to transfer those capacity to FLB

All Pulse phones come with Android 1.5 and the firmware (not the ROM) has been set up on each phone so it operates with the 3G frequencies in that particular country.

If I was to flash the 1.5 MoviStar rom to my phone then my phone would only have working 3G on the MoviStar frequencies. This is because the ROM changed some firmware in the phone.

When you install one of the cut down 2.1 roms to your phone, this firmware isn't changed. So you may find you have working 3G still. But because the phone is still set up internally for 1.5 you will find the cut down 2.1 rom is unstable.

Flashing an official 2.1 ROM to the phone upgrades the phones firmware and partition layout. This then allows the use of newer untrimmed 2.1 custom roms such as FLB. The downside is that these official roms do not contain the right firmware for your phone so effectively you have transformed your South American/whatever phone into a European one. So no 3G.

Copying files from a trimmed 2.1 rom won't make the slightest difference. The only solution is an official 2.1 rom for those countries that operate 3G on different frequencies.

Until that happens, no 3G. Sorry.

Guest Philippe Demartin
All Pulse phones come with Android 1.5 and the firmware (not the ROM) has been set up on each phone so it operates with the 3G frequencies in that particular country.

If I was to flash the 1.5 MoviStar rom to my phone then my phone would only have working 3G on the MoviStar frequencies. This is because the ROM changed some firmware in the phone.

When you install one of the cut down 2.1 roms to your phone, this firmware isn't changed. So you may find you have working 3G still. But because the phone is still set up internally for 1.5 you will find the cut down 2.1 rom is unstable.

Flashing an official 2.1 ROM to the phone upgrades the phones firmware and partition layout. This then allows the use of newer untrimmed 2.1 custom roms such as FLB. The downside is that these official roms do not contain the right firmware for your phone so effectively you have transformed your South American/whatever phone into a European one. So no 3G.

Copying files from a trimmed 2.1 rom won't make the slightest difference. The only solution is an official 2.1 rom for those countries that operate 3G on different frequencies.

Until that happens, no 3G. Sorry.

Thanks, it's clear now

It's a shame, because the FLB is by fare tha most stable 2.1 rom I've try

Edited by Philippe Demartin

Guest il_cholo

lets light a candle and pray to Huawei for release latinoamerican 2.1 so flibblesan and bobo bring us they magic to America Latina :)

Guest Tom G

After my success with the 2.1 ril driver into 2.2 over the weekend (no 3G yet) I thought I would take a look at using the 1.5 driver in 2.2. If successfully we can hopefully port the 1.5 drivers into FLB-MOD.

What 1.5 ROMs had working 3G for the American users? Did all ROMs work (eg. the MCR roms) or only roms made for a 1900Mhz network (eg. Movistar)?

Guest Simon O
After my success with the 2.1 ril driver into 2.2 over the weekend (no 3G yet) I thought I would take a look at using the 1.5 driver in 2.2. If successfully we can hopefully port the 1.5 drivers into FLB-MOD.

What 1.5 ROMs had working 3G for the American users? Did all ROMs work (eg. the MCR roms) or only roms made for a 1900Mhz network (eg. Movistar)?

That would help a lot. The weird thing is that south american users than didn't upgrade from 1.5 to 2.1 did have working 3G when they used one of the trimmed 2.1 roms for 1.5 users. So I don't know if it's something the official 2.1 updates have broken when they do various upgrades or it's down to the kernel. I'm thinking more along the lines of the kernel as theres currently an issue with FLB-MOD using the Tre kernel. It breaks 3G for some operators, even some that did work with t-mobile 2.1. I've checked the RIL libs between Tre and T-Mobile roms and they are exactly the same. The Tre kernel also breaks touchscreen for a very small number of people, but this is a different issue.

Guest makmondeja

All the ROMs worked just fine, even trimmed 2.1 worked, but after upgrading the firmware to support 2.1 it stopped working.

Guest il_cholo

TOMG, Flibblesan please download from huawei´s site U8220-6 V100R001ARGC27B237(Argentina Movistar)

that is the 1.5 rom for Argentina where you can find the drivers required for working 3G

Guest Tom G
All the ROMs worked just fine, even trimmed 2.1 worked, but after upgrading the firmware to support 2.1 it stopped working.

That gets back to my initial thoughts. The libraries in the rom have nothing to do with it. The problem is a change to firmware (probably on the radio chip) which we cannot fix unless we can repack the UPDATA (ZeBadger and Speckles have been doing some excellent work on it).

The best solution to the problem for now would be to make a version of FLB-MOD that fits on the 80MB system partition from 1.5 (does it already fit?), then just install FLB-MOD over 1.5. The only problem I see is that vibrate won't work (I think that can be fixed). I have been using the RBM rom on the 1.5 firmware for a couple of months without much trouble and all of the work I have done with Froyo has been with the 1.5 firmware and partition layout. The Froyo rom is currently about 70MB so fits in the old layout easily, I am hoping to get all features working without it out-growing the small system partition.

I have been looking at building Eclair from source (it will hopefully help with some of the problems in Froyo), so that may lead to some smaller Eclair roms. I haven't actually looked at FLB-MOD, so I don't know how small flibblesan has been able to make it.

I can put together a version of FLB-MOD to fit on the old partitions, but my phone has the European firmware so may not be the best for testing it. I assume the U8220-6 UPDATA won't install on my UK Pulse, but will it work with the 2.1 downgrade UPDATA?