Removing unneeded things from 2.1

Guest gusthy

Guest JohnPorter
Ever since switching to the stock Android launcher my phone has been super fast! I posted something on the FLB thread about launchers but I didn't get any replies so it would probably be best suited here:

I have to agree with that. Although I never had issues when using ADW or LauncherPro, I find the Stock Android Launcher better, feels faster and simpler to use, and always returns you to the top of the drawer if you've previously scrolled to the bottom.

Edited by JohnPorter

Guest Totyasrác
You can flash the updates anytime, just clear dalvik-cache afterwards.

Whooooops - I forgot that - I've just done that (2 days after installing factory launcher :))

Guest gusthy
Hello!

Is possible to disable services such as GTalk?

thanks

AFAIK it is not gmai, but market is what goes wrong. If anybody checks it, it is nice, my Pulse is under repair now.

Guest meinnit
I have to agree with that. Although I never had issues when using ADW or LauncherPro, I find the Stock Android Launcher better, feels faster and simpler to use, and always returns you to the top of the drawer if you've previously scrolled to the bottom.

I thought that was a feature rather than a bug!

Guest JohnPorter
I thought that was a feature rather than a bug!

I'm not sure. When I used ADW or LauncherPro it always remembered the last position before I returned to the homepage or opened an app, but with the Stock Launcher it doesn't but that's how I like it.

Guest giabbe1

news on this topic? i'm actually very interested... how many ppl tried this? and to what result?? furthermore, can someone write a noobie's guide on the steps needed?

someone threw the idea of writing a list of things that could be removed, together with their effect on the system etc, but it looks like it hasn't been done. what about doing it?

tks to all

I will :) but I need my Pulse back from repair before.

Guest Simon O
news on this topic? i'm actually very interested... how many ppl tried this? and to what result?? furthermore, can someone write a noobie's guide on the steps needed?

someone threw the idea of writing a list of things that could be removed, together with their effect on the system etc, but it looks like it hasn't been done. what about doing it?

tks to all

I tried it, broke twitter contact syncing. My phone runs fast enough with these apps kept in anyway.

Guest Totyasrác
I tried it, broke twitter contact syncing. My phone runs fast enough with these apps kept in anyway.

Well, I guess noone should ever say 'enuff' - evolution would stop right away :)

Guest gusthy
Well, I guess noone should ever say 'enuff' - evolution would stop right away :)

well myPulse is back.

I will sort out which file iz responsible for twitter then write a noob guide, hopefully in the evening.

It is not about speed, but multitasking - without this tweak I wasnt able to use Nimbuzz or other instant messaging apps.Since I do not use twitter sync, I didnt realize that problem.

Guest Totyasrác
well myPulse is back.

I will sort out which file iz responsible for twitter then write a noob guide, hopefully in the evening.

It is not about speed, but multitasking - without this tweak I wasnt able to use Nimbuzz or other instant messaging apps.Since I do not use twitter sync, I didnt realize that problem.

After all it really IS about speed - if only we would never have the issue of home needed to be restarted so often... Or even app being killed without notice (GTalk)... A noob guide would be awesome - if you have time could you please try the apps being killed one by one and try ti figure out the results...

I guess most people use socializing apps often (twitter, Facebook, Fring, eBuddy), then google services (Mail, Talk), BT/wifi connections... So focusing on these would satisfy most of the users if neing able to keep them alive while using the tweak.

Cheers!

Edited by Totyasrác

Guest gusthy

Before polishing this solution I tried something else: I removed SFP.apk and all the apks whose names contain drm.

Maybe I am not able to play any drm protected music.

I don't know what sfp does, everything works well since then, the only thing I didnt try is wifi, I will check it soon.

But I won other 10MB of RAM. now it is between 40 and 58 MB.

I also replaced the keyboard to SmartKeyboard, it seems to have lower memory footprint.

fingers crossed :D

Before polishing this solution I tried something else: I removed SFP.apk and all the apks whose names contain drm.

Maybe I am not able to play any drm protected music.

I don't know what sfp does, everything works well since then, the only thing I didnt try is wifi, I will check it soon.

But I won other 10MB of RAM. now it is between 40 and 58 MB.

I also replaced the keyboard to SmartKeyboard, it seems to have lower memory footprint.

fingers crossed :D

I think, the phone use sfp to connect with PC...

Guest Totyasrác
I think, the phone use sfp to connect with PC...

...and we don't do that too often, do we? :D

(Besides I can live without mp4 support, or any other video format - but that's me :D)

Guest giabbe1

personally I don't use so it wouldn't be a problem for me. I also use fb via browser (the app for android always messes up something) so I would go for the most minimalistic version of this tweak, i.e. if I manage to get home, messages, phone and browser stay in memory I would be very happy :-)

Guest gusthy
mp4 isn´t it used for video recording? or am I wrong? correct me if so.

I don' know, but video recording works. also its playback.

Edited by gusthy

Guest gusthy

@M31: thx, then my soul is rest :D)) well, I never used pc suite, and adb functionality isnt broken now

edit: I forgot to mention that removing this two apk's helps because they try to run constantly wven if I kill them.

Edited by gusthy

Guest flip360

i also removed sfp.apk along with the others drm apps and indeed, it feels quite snappier and the free memory has gone up a liitle :D go gusthy go

Guest gusthy
i also removed sfp.apk along with the others drm apps and indeed, it feels quite snappier and the free memory has gone up a liitle :D go gusthy go

thx :D:)

if you remove the apks, its worth to remove them from settings->applications, it cleans up their dalvik and data reminiscenses.

Guest giabbe1

sorry to push things but... is the guide going to come anytime soon??

tks gusthy

thx :D:)

if you remove the apks, its worth to remove them from settings->applications, it cleans up their dalvik and data reminiscenses.