New (very fast) lag fix using internal memory and playlogo1 hack

Guest portman0

Guest cosmic76
I've had the phone running this kernel for 2 days and haven't had any issues yet. Have stress tested with SetCPU for 3hours and it returned no errors so i hope it's stable.

Well, i have tried this mod via terminal emulator, and don't work for me. i have jp3 from modaco...

Please help me....

tks

p.s. don't create an ext partition.........

Guest mautai916
Well, i have tried this mod via terminal emulator, and don't work for me. i have jp3 from modaco...

Please help me....

tks

p.s. don't create an ext partition.........

Weird, i flashed stock to VIbrant5 rom to this update. My quadrant scores went from 889 to 1137. Am i doing something wrong? I Verified the patch worked because my phone storage went from 1.76GB to 762MB afterwards... ?

Guest DistortedLoop
Weird, i flashed stock to VIbrant5 rom to this update. My quadrant scores went from 889 to 1137. Am i doing something wrong? I Verified the patch worked because my phone storage went from 1.76GB to 762MB afterwards... ?

The phone storage size reduction only means you've successfully created the linux.ex2 file, it doesn't mean you've successfully mounted it via the loop mount...

Run the mount command from adb or terminal on the phone and see if you've mounted it, and you might do an ls -l in the data directory of the phone to see if you actually have the symlinks and that they're pointing to the proper place.

with that low of a quadrant score, it's doubtful you've actually implemented this hack properly.

Guest taukappamu

How do I run the code?

This is copied from my post over on XDA dev. It makes the phone as smooth as butter. It's faster than any of the previous lag fixes plus it doesn't have any of the issues that the other ones had like not being able to remove the memory card, or running out of space on the new partition, etc. My SGS feels as smooth as an iPhone 4 now. My only contribution is that I made this into a complete guide. It was the hard work of others that discovered this fix.

Here are the instructions:

First copy the two files in the attached .zip to the root of your internal memory then run the following commands after enabling debugging mode. Make sure you have the latest busybox installed. The first command takes a while since it creates a 1 GB file on the internal memory. I also recommend starting in stock configuration (any firmware version is fine) I don't know what will happen if other fixes/kernels have been applied.

adb shell

su

busybox dd if=/dev/zero of=/data/dataimg bs=1024 count=1048576

busybox mknod /dev/loop0 b 7 0

busybox losetup /dev/loop0 /data/dataimg

busybox mkfs.ext2 /dev/loop0

mkdir /data/data1

busybox mount -o remount,rw -t rootfs /

mv /system/bin/playlogos1 /system/bin/playlogosnow

cp /sdcard/playlogos1 /system/bin/playlogos1

cp /sdcard/userinit.sh /system/bin/userinit.sh

chmod 755 /system/bin/playlogos1

chmod 755 /system/bin/userinit.sh

busybox mount -o remount,ro -t rootfs /

reboot

Guest DistortedLoop
How do I run the code?

If you have to ask that, you're probably taking a big risk, since you don't know what you're doing at even the most basic level with the phone and will be in trouble trying to back out of any mistakes you might make...

That said, BEFORE you start this, get ClockWork ROM Mgr from the Market, install it, run a backup of your device with it. Then get Titanium Backup and backup all your apps for good measure.

Once you've done that. Get the Android Developers kit for Mac or Windows, depending on what you have, and then use ADB from your computer's terminal. At that point, it should be as simple as just typing the commands below. If you're on Windows and have trouble connecting to the phone, you probably have a driver issue that most solve with installing Samsung Kies.

If you're total noob, you might actually want to head to XDA and find one of the several ONE CLICK lag fixes in the i9000 developers area. Lots of success there with those, and pretty painless. The one by Chainfire actually looks the most interesting to me, but RyanZ's is the most popular.

I'd really spend at least a small amount of time reading about adb, adb shell, the terminal and basic unix/linux commands before starting off on some of these hacks...

Good luck!

Guest ragflan

Anyone else feel that the phone is kinda unevenly speedy? What I mean is... The phone is really really fast. Surprisingly fast for a 2.1 ROM (with the lagfix applied). I'm still on JG5. I get scores above 2100 for Quadrant and the phone definitely feels much faster. But what I mean by uneven is, I do face black screens every now and then and I know lag is a given on any phone (I've had a little lag here and there with Desire when too many apps were running together). But the lag on the Galaxy is kinda... different. The screen just blacks out with only the notification bar visible (but not responsive). A few seconds later everything comes back to normal. Happens a few times a day; very infrequently but does happen. And this is usually no more than a couple of apps running together.

Does anyone believe that Samsung will fix this lag issue in the upcoming Froyo firmware in September?

Guest sprucas

This is a great lagfix - happy with 2100+ in Quadrant - zero black screens or issues

However I would like to know the correct commands to reverse these changes so that I can use the One-Click method posted on XDA

I know about renaming playlogosnow to playlogos1 and removing userinit.sh - what do i need to do to remove the dataimg file etc?

If I just delete /data/dataimg will i hose my phone?

thanks

sprucas

adb shell

su

mkdir /data/data1

reboot

Guest allareconnected

Does this mean it did not work... if not, anyone now why?

reboot

reboot

1048576+0 records in

1048576+0 records out

# # # Filesystem label=

OS type: Linux

Block size=4096 (log=2)

Fragment size=4096 (log=2)

65536 inodes, 262144 blocks

13107 blocks (5%) reserved for the super user

First data block=0

Maximum filesystem blocks=4194304

8 block groups

32768 blocks per group, 32768 fragments per group

8192 inodes per group

Superblock backups stored on blocks:

32768, 98304, 163840, 229376

# mkdir failed for /data/data1, File exists

# # failed on '/system/bin/playlogos1' - No such file or directory

# cp: can't stat '/sdcard/userinit.sh': No such file or directory

cp: can't stat '/system/bin/userinit.shchmod': No such file or directory

cp: can't stat '755': No such file or directory

# Unable to chmod /system/bin/userinit.shbusybox: No such file or directory

Guest mickeko
Anyone else feel that the phone is kinda unevenly speedy? What I mean is... The phone is really really fast. Surprisingly fast for a 2.1 ROM (with the lagfix applied). I'm still on JG5. I get scores above 2100 for Quadrant and the phone definitely feels much faster. But what I mean by uneven is, I do face black screens every now and then and I know lag is a given on any phone (I've had a little lag here and there with Desire when too many apps were running together). But the lag on the Galaxy is kinda... different. The screen just blacks out with only the notification bar visible (but not responsive). A few seconds later everything comes back to normal. Happens a few times a day; very infrequently but does happen. And this is usually no more than a couple of apps running together.

I'm running JF3 with lagfix applied, and I had the same problem. I installed autokiller and set it on the strict preset and haven't seen it since... (Obviously I see black screens occasionally, but they are very brief)

Guest ykk_five
Hi! Saw someone requested a Quadrant run with a 1.25Ghz kernel and here is my score!

post-725049-1282038599_thumb.png

unbeliveable! :D

but if we take into the account that u've OC for 1/4, for a non-OC 1Ghz one with 22xx, then 28xx should be achievable

Guest DistortedLoop
unbeliveable! :D

but if we take into the account that u've OC for 1/4, for a non-OC 1Ghz one with 22xx, then 28xx should be achievable

Hey, THE ykk_five? The actual first developer of this particular hack...?

Does anyone believe that Samsung will fix this lag issue in the upcoming Froyo firmware in September?

I think it will be fixed in FroYo. I think GPS will be fixed as well.

I'm racking my brains to try to recall if I ever had any kind of "lag" issues on my Nexus One with any of the various ROMs I've used. I can't say yes or no.

I just switched from JG1 to JM5 as part of switching from ykk_five's fix to RyanZ's latest 2.3 version of it. That's a whole other story with Titanium backup not working to restore my apps :D but with this particular combo I get significant freezing of the system and black screens while downloading and installing apps from the market...ALL 97 OF THEM! Ughh...ugly to do by hand.

I need to test my N1 with the Kang-O-Rama ROM (basically it's Cyanogen FroYo) and see if it gets lags/black screen/GUI freezes while downloading/installing.

Guest ykk_five
Hey, THE ykk_five? The actual first developer of this particular hack...?

yes, I'm that ykk_five, but I might not be the "first" developer of this particular hack

Guest DistortedLoop
yes, I'm that ykk_five, but I might not be the "first" developer of this particular hack

Well, you certainly built on ideas of others, but that's what the community does. You're certainly the first I noticed with the whole loop mount business.

Welcome to MoDaCo!

Guest ykk_five
Well, you certainly built on ideas of others, but that's what the community does. You're certainly the first I noticed with the whole loop mount business.

Welcome to MoDaCo!

anyway, thx

but i was really surprised that someone knows me here

Guest brandnewsimmy

That seems to happen to me too. When it works, its crazy fast but then I get some serious lags that never happened before I installed the lag fix. After trying a Froyo build on my Vibrant it seems that the official is going to be great!

Guest ragflan
That seems to happen to me too. When it works, its crazy fast but then I get some serious lags that never happened before I installed the lag fix. After trying a Froyo build on my Vibrant it seems that the official is going to be great!

Yeah. Looks like we just have to wait for Samsung to roll out the updates. I have tried the newer ROMs but something always doesn't work. Like Titanium on some, or videos looks bad or something else. JG5 I have no issues except the 2 known ones. GPS and the Lag. Lag, like I said earlier, is somewhat irregular. Happens a few times per day but its definitely not something I except from Galaxy S considering the CPU is technically better than the Desire's (which did not see any such black screen issues).

The newer ROMs seem to have lesser of the lag issues but they all seem like a beta product. Actually, Galaxy S itself feels entirely like a beta product. Samsung better come good in September or whatever good name they do have is gonna go down.

Had some really bad issues with playback of my podcasts with this fix applied, sure i could fire up quadrant and always get 2100+ but audio playback was crazy bad, especially if i was also trying to do anything else (install apps etc). The speedup may be there, but it's so subtle and I think most of the performance gain people get is pure placebo :/ Flashed a fresh JM5 and got SamSet and the phone feels just like it did with JG5+lagfix, only that it scores <1000 in Quadrant. Mimocan's fix is way faster than this one in actual phone usage, but gets lower 'zomgwtfbbqscore'.

Please people, can we stop using Quadrant for showing how a certain device is performing? It's so easy to trick Quadrant into giving crazy high scores...

http://twitter.com/cyanogen/status/21313672502

http://twitter.com/cyanogen/status/21313718922

http://twitter.com/cyanogen/status/21314856782

So easy to cheat...

Guest Blackfish
I don't know what will happen if other fixes/kernels have been applied.

LagFix from MCR does not affect your fix, works fine :D

@phete:

Zero problems with music playback, feels much faster then JG5 and lagfix (in any possible way, you can feel it)...

Edited by Blackfish

Guest DistortedLoop
Yeah. Looks like we just have to wait for Samsung to roll out the updates. I have tried the newer ROMs but something always doesn't work. Like Titanium on some,

Titanium not working on some firmware levels is a known issue? I missed that? Which particular ROMs? Is JM5 one of them?

I wiped my phone, flashed JM5, installed the RyanZ version of this fix to my phone, then tried to restore from Titanium all my apps. Most wouldn't restore. I thought it was something to do with the lag-fix that was used, or perhaps user error. Sure was a pain to restore 97 apps by hand! If this is known issue on stock ROMs that's important to know.

Guest DistortedLoop
Had some really bad issues with playback of my podcasts with this fix applied, sure i could fire up quadrant and always get 2100+ but audio playback was crazy bad, especially if i was also trying to do anything else (install apps etc).

Interesting you say that! I was suspecting some odd pauses in podcast playback using the BeyondPod app might be related to the RyanZ lag fix method. Nothing significant, but mildly noticeably, and mildly annoying - just a slight pause/stop of the playback randomly and just barely long enough to notice, but also seldom enough to think it might be an issue with the podcast. Given that most of the stuff I listen to is TWiT produced, which tends to not have audio issues, I lean towards the phone.

I think you're on to something.

What app were you using to listen with?

The speedup may be there, but it's so subtle and I think most of the performance gain people get is pure placebo :/ Flashed a fresh JM5 and got SamSet and the phone feels just like it did with JG5+lagfix, only that it scores <1000 in Quadrant. Mimocan's fix is way faster than this one in actual phone usage, but gets lower 'zomgwtfbbqscore'.

Please people, can we stop using Quadrant for showing how a certain device is performing? It's so easy to trick Quadrant into giving crazy high scores...

You'll find plenty of posts from me that benchmarks are BS and it's the normal "feel" of the phone that matters in the real world, that said, I'm fairly confident that these fixes make the phone feel much faster to me...I guess I'd have to film non-fixed vs fixed side by side to prove it, but it seems the apps just open instantly compared to non-hacked ROMs.

That said, I was starting to think of going back to the mimocan fix for a couple of reasons. First, I understand what it's doing completely - it's cut and dry, and pretty much just the apps2sd hack that cyanogen's been doing for a long time. Two, it's fast, and stable without all these ext2 concerns, loop mounts logo hacks, etc. Three, very easy to do/undo as needed.

So are you really just on JM5 stock alone, or did you add mimocan to it?

@phete:

Zero problems with music playback, feels much faster then JG5 and lagfix (in any possible way, you can feel it)...

He said podcast playback, not music - I'm curious what he plays them with. I have noticed them myself, as mentioned above.

Edited by DistortedLoop

Guest dekela
This is copied from my post over on XDA dev. It makes the phone as smooth as butter. It's faster than any of the previous lag fixes plus it doesn't have any of the issues that the other ones had like not being able to remove the memory card, or running out of space on the new partition, etc. My SGS feels as smooth as an iPhone 4 now. My only contribution is that I made this into a complete guide. It was the hard work of others that discovered this fix.

Here are the instructions:

First copy the two files in the attached .zip to the root of your internal memory then run the following commands after enabling debugging mode. Make sure you have the latest busybox installed. The first command takes a while since it creates a 1 GB file on the internal memory. I also recommend starting in stock configuration (any firmware version is fine) I don't know what will happen if other fixes/kernels have been applied.

adb shell

su

mkdir /data/data1

reboot
Hi, Thank you for your hard work. I have been trying to apply your fix but it appears my internal memory is out of space... See:
# busybox dd if=/dev/zero of=/data/dataimg bs=1024 count=1048576

dd: writing '/data/dataimg': No space left on device

416289+0 records in

416288+0 records out

#
I have been trying to look for what is taking all my space (Its 8 GB Galaxy S)
# du -h . | grep G

du -h . | grep G

3.1G	./mnt/internal_sd/external_sd/MUSIC

4.2G	./mnt/internal_sd/external_sd

4.7G	./mnt/internal_sd

4.7G	./mnt

4.0K	./data/data/nl.rogro.GScriptLite/lib

8.0K	./data/data/nl.rogro.GScriptLite/databases

16.0K   ./data/data/nl.rogro.GScriptLite

4.0K	./data/data/mobi.mgeek.GoogleServicesPlugin/lib

8.0K	./data/data/mobi.mgeek.GoogleServicesPlugin

1.6G	./data

0	   ./sys/devices/virtual/tty/ttyGPS0/power

0	   ./sys/devices/virtual/tty/ttyGPS0

0	   ./sys/module/ipt_ULOG/parameters

0	   ./sys/module/ipt_ULOG

6.6G	.

#

To me it looks like most of the space is on my external card, Why is it still saying no space left?

Thanks,

Dekel

Guest Chapieee

Hi guys!

I'm new to the forum and new to android (and linux), so if I start asking really stupid questions.....just let me know :D I went through the thread and googled some stuff but I've not been able to find a solution to my problem.

So now I'm gonna bother you guys! :D Here it goes...

I've managed to successfully flash my galaxy s and install mimocans fix (at least I think I did it properly since my quadrant score drastically increased).

Now a couple weeks later I noticed this fix and since I felt it was time to try out froyo I decided to flash my SGS again with Pauls rooted version and to apply the fix as it has been described in this thread.

I downloaded Better Terminal, installed Busybox and started inserting the commands.

After typing in the last command (busybox losetup /dev/loop0 /data/dataimg) I got an error. Since I dont have any knowledge regarding linux codes (or any other kind of codes for that matter) I googled the error, but I found nothing.........except.........for the one click lag fix.

I decided to 'switch' to the one click fix application since I didn't want to deal with 'difficult codes and commands'.

However (and some of you might already see the problem) the application says I can't install the fix since my phone doesn't have enough memory in /data.

I tried hard resetting my phone, but that didn't work. I assume that my failed first attempt is using up all the memory.

So my question is: how can I free up the 'phone memory'?

Or does re-flashing help? (I'm not at home right now, so I haven't had the opportunity to try that yet)

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

Guest DistortedLoop
Hi guys!

I'm new to the forum and new to android (and linux), so if I start asking really stupid questions.....just let me know :D I went through the thread and googled some stuff but I've not been able to find a solution to my problem.

So now I'm gonna bother you guys! :D Here it goes...

I've managed to successfully flash my galaxy s and install mimocans fix (at least I think I did it properly since my quadrant score drastically increased).

Now a couple weeks later I noticed this fix and since I felt it was time to try out froyo I decided to flash my SGS again with Pauls rooted version and to apply the fix as it has been described in this thread.

I downloaded Better Terminal, installed Busybox and started inserting the commands.

After typing in the last command (busybox losetup /dev/loop0 /data/dataimg) I got an error. Since I dont have any knowledge regarding linux codes (or any other kind of codes for that matter) I googled the error, but I found nothing.........except.........for the one click lag fix.

I decided to 'switch' to the one click fix application since I didn't want to deal with 'difficult codes and commands'.

However (and some of you might already see the problem) the application says I can't install the fix since my phone doesn't have enough memory in /data.

I tried hard resetting my phone, but that didn't work. I assume that my failed first attempt is using up all the memory.

So my question is: how can I free up the 'phone memory'?

Or does re-flashing help? (I'm not at home right now, so I haven't had the opportunity to try that yet)

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

looks like you created a large file that you haven't deleted yet.

If you reflash from Odin, and select repartition, that will certainly get you back to a clean phone. Doing a factory wipe/reset from the phone should as well. Of course you'll lose all data on the internal ROM space (not your internal sdcard).

I think you really just want to delete that very large file (/data/dataimg) you created. If you want to do it without reflash or wipe, reboot the phone, then from the adb shell, run the following commands (paste the output here if you need help interpreting):

su

ls - l /data
if /data/dataimg exists, you should just be able to:
rm /data/dataimg

rm - r /data/dataimg if the above one didn't work.

CAUTION - messing around with rm command can really screw things up if you get the syntax wrong. Of course you're only a wipe/reflash away from fixing things.

In the future PLEASE get clockwork rom manager from the Market and make a nandroid backup of your phone before trying stuff, it's so easy to just go back to the exact point you were at with that nandroid restore!

Keep in mind that the One Click authors are recommending you do it from a fresh Odin flash anyways...

Good luck.

Edited by DistortedLoop