T-Mobile UK announcement regarding removal of 2.1 for the Pulse

Guest Simon O

Guest igor_anta
I dunno. Everytime I asked they told me to ask T-Mobile. But you're right, they should have to release it though.

Hell they could just upload the file to their server and paste the link, that shouldn't be a problem at all!

Best regards,

BB

Well maybe if we all write a message to Huawei or T-Mobile, being sort of a bother to them, they might decide to release it after all :huh: Maybe also mention that they have to release it eventually? Cheers!

Guest richardlai
The problem is that Huawei says the responsibility lays with T-Mobile, and T-Mobile says they need a go from Huawei, which they clearly have.

Firing off e-mails to Huawei or T-Mobile wouldn't help much either I guess. We would just annoy them. But I think we have better chances asking Huawei than T-Mobile. They are pretty cooperative, if you are polite (especially on the Chinese forum) :huh:

You don't get any replys on the English forum though. I'll ask once more in the Chinese forum.

Best regards,

BB

OK, the reply I got from T-Mobile UK goes along the lines of they'll release the source code after the fixed 2.1 firmware is out. I've pinged them back asking about the kernel code alone.

Guest richardlai
OK, the reply I got from T-Mobile UK goes along the lines of they'll release the source code after the fixed 2.1 firmware is out. I've pinged them back asking about the kernel code alone.

And here it is:

"Hi Richard, unfortunately they do not have it available to release."

Not sure what's really going on here...

Hi - Have just joined the forum.

I only bought my Pulse last week and upgraded to 2.1 using the official link from T-Mobile website.

I haven't been experiencing any problems re memory - should I still downgrade back to 1.5 ??

Guest Sl4yer
I haven't been experiencing any problems re memory - should I still downgrade back to 1.5 ??

If you don't want to install too many apps (for example, Co Pilot would almost cripple the phone on it's own), and it's not the end of the world if you miss the odd text message, I'd stick with it.

If the app space is an issue, install the FLB mod. :huh:

Guest hugh3sy7
If you don't want to install too many apps (for example, Co Pilot would almost cripple the phone on it's own), and it's not the end of the world if you miss the odd text message, I'd stick with it.

If the app space is an issue, install the FLB mod. :huh:

It may not be the end of the world but its reallys ballsed up my social, love and possibly work life. I only started realising i wasnt receiving texts yesterday after being on 2.1 for 2 weeks, thing is it was quality as well. Well peed off, reverting to 1.7 looks trash in comparison and predicitive text aint working on better keyboard. Its true what they say, you get what you pay for. Next time i'll spend triple the money and get a decent phone.

Guest Sl4yer
It may not be the end of the world but its reallys ballsed up my social, love and possibly work life. I only started realising i wasnt receiving texts yesterday after being on 2.1 for 2 weeks, thing is it was quality as well. Well peed off, reverting to 1.7 looks trash in comparison and predicitive text aint working on better keyboard. Its true what they say, you get what you pay for. Next time i'll spend triple the money and get a decent phone.

That's why it started with IF! :huh:

My wife and I exchanged 28 text messages while I was at work today. It was only later that I found the one informing me that we were out of cat litter never arrived! It seems too unpredictable to be related solely to RAM to me. I've had messages whilst playing Frozen Bubble - you can tell when it's coming because the game slows down so much. Don't know what I was doing when I missed the one today, although Facebook or the browser is likely.

Guest richardlai

So here's my finding of the whole kerfuffle, if anyone's interested: http://mobile.engadget.com/2010/08/27/t-mo...date-huawei-sa/

And here's the complete translation of Huawei's Chinese warning:

"The TMO-U8220 Android 2.1 firmware being circulated around the web is actually a test version from the UK, and has not yet been signed off. This version still contains a lot of bugs, so there's no guarantee on its features and stability.

As such, this version is not yet released on Huawei's website, if TMO's version has any problems and bringing you trouble, we're afraid we can't help you, sorry.

Users who want a taste of the 2.1 experience can go ahead and upgrade, as the basic functionalities are there, but there's no guarantee on it being problem-free. If you no longer want this version you can do a direct roll-back using the 1.5 update (transitional patch not required). However, for those who want a stable performance on the U8220, we don't recommend such upgrade [to 2.1], thank you!"

Hmm...

Guest Simon O
So here's my finding of the whole kerfuffle, if anyone's interested: http://mobile.engadget.com/2010/08/27/t-mo...date-huawei-sa/

And here's the complete translation of Huawei's Chinese warning:

"The TMO-U8220 Android 2.1 firmware being circulated around the web is actually a test version from the UK, and has not yet been signed off. This version still contains a lot of bugs, so there's no guarantee on its features and stability.

As such, this version is not yet released on Huawei's website, if TMO's version has any problems and bringing you trouble, we're afraid we can't help you, sorry.

Users who want a taste of the 2.1 experience can go ahead and upgrade, as the basic functionalities are there, but there's no guarantee on it being problem-free. If you no longer want this version you can do a direct roll-back using the 1.5 update (transitional patch not required). However, for those who want a stable performance on the U8220, we don't recommend such upgrade [to 2.1], thank you!"

Hmm...

Typical. And a pretty similar situation to the T-Mobile Hungary fiasco. I can't believe that T-Mobile would release beta code twice to be honest and the thing that does concern me is that Huawei have released 2.1 ROMs for the U8220 for other networks and these roms have the same issue.

Huawei claiming T-Mobile UK released a test rom is pure bulls**t. The ROM can be downloaded openly from Huaweis website.

Somebody is trying to hide something.

http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwide/down...20&treeId=0 - search for U8220

Edited by flibblesan

Typical. And a pretty similar situation to the T-Mobile Hungary fiasco. I can't believe that T-Mobile would release beta code twice to be honest and the thing that does concern me is that Huawei have released 2.1 ROMs for the U8220 for other networks and these roms have the same issue.

Huawei claiming T-Mobile UK released a test rom is pure bulls**t. The ROM can be downloaded openly from Huaweis website.

Somebody is trying to hide something.

http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwide/down...20&treeId=0 - search for U8220

have you tried any other firmware from there,

U8220 V100R001ARBC167B830(Sudan Zain).zip is build 830 compare to UK 826SP1 so might be better?

there is also an 831 for the 8230, paul managed to get the 8230 1.5 image working on the 8220 by swapping the kernel i think

Edited by rjm2k

Guest gusthy
have you tried any other firmware from there,

U8220 V100R001ARBC167B830(Sudan Zain).zip is build 830 compare to UK 826SP1 so might be better?

there is also an 831 for the 8230, paul managed to get the 8230 1.5 image working on the 8220 by swapping the kernel i think

WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sudan ROM doesn't flash properly on Pulse, and Time Machine doesnt work after flashing it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sudan ROM doesn't flash properly on Pulse, and Time Machine doesnt work after flashing it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But if someone extracts the files from the updata.app instead and puts together a custom update it should be ok.

Guest Simon O

To be honest I'm so fed up with Huawei that I really cannot be bothered trying any more 2.1 roms from them until the UK T-Mobile ROM is released and working.

Guest Daz555
To be honest I'm so fed up with Huawei that I really cannot be bothered trying any more 2.1 roms from them until the UK T-Mobile ROM is released and working.

If the community had the sources for 2.1 I'm sure we'd see an extremely reliable ROM within a week!

Guest twrock

Good thing you released 1.5 then! I'm finding it to be very stable and quite snappy.

I was musing about this in another post, but I think the language/location options are controlled by mcc and mnc in local.prop. (I don't know if it is just one of those or a combination.) Did you adjust those in 1.5? IIRC, the UK2.1 ROM had an extensive list of languages. So what I started wondering about was whether or not the rom that T-Mo UK started with was kind of a "universal" Huawei rom that needs a bunch of modifying before it is released for any particular phone/location. So each side can play games and blame the other when a rom doesn't work right.

I really should test my theory about the local.prop settings before I spout too much though. I might be way off.

Guest twrock

Now that, my friend, simply sucks. :huh:

All I can suggest is that you keeping trying the 1.5 "time machine" and then immediately flashing ANY other "official" dload. I've had the HU, Tre, CHT8000, and UK all installed at one time or another, and the time machine always let me back out of whatever I got stuck in. Hopefully that will prove to be true of the Sudan rom as well. (But I'm surely not going to try it.)

Guest Simon O

And that's another reason not to try any out. I really do not want to brick my phone or anybody elses.

I don't expect any other roms to provide any benefit to us right now. The only options we have at the moment are the 2.2 development and the hope that Huawei releases a fixed 2.1 rom soon.

Guest Simon O
Good thing you released 1.5 then! I'm finding it to be very stable and quite snappy.

I was musing about this in another post, but I think the language/location options are controlled by mcc and mnc in local.prop. (I don't know if it is just one of those or a combination.) Did you adjust those in 1.5? IIRC, the UK2.1 ROM had an extensive list of languages. So what I started wondering about was whether or not the rom that T-Mo UK started with was kind of a "universal" Huawei rom that needs a bunch of modifying before it is released for any particular phone/location. So each side can play games and blame the other when a rom doesn't work right.

I really should test my theory about the local.prop settings before I spout too much though. I might be way off.

There are a few things like that I want to test and I'll keep working on FLB. I just don't see the point of looking at other released roms for now. It's too much hassle moving FLB over to a new base and it often causes unpredictable results.

I'll take a good look at some other roms like Cyanogen and see if I can work out how to add more locals to FLB.

Guest twrock
There are a few things like that I want to test and I'll keep working on FLB. I just don't see the point of looking at other released roms for now. It's too much hassle moving FLB over to a new base and it often causes unpredictable results.

I'll take a good look at some other roms like Cyanogen and see if I can work out how to add more locals to FLB.

Here are copies of those lines from a few /system/cust/hw/default/local.prop files, FWIW. I might go back to TWeak mod and use what appears to be more "universal" numbers (-1 or zeros) and see what happens.

CHT8000:

ro.config.mcc=466

ro.config.mnc=92

Tre:

ro.config.mcc=240

ro.config.mnc=02

CCR UK2.1 (what's up with the negative numbers?!!!):

ro.config.mcc=-1

ro.config.mnc=-1

MCR v7:

ro.config.mcc=000

ro.config.mnc=00

FLB 1.5:

ro.config.mcc=234

ro.config.mnc=30

Edited by twrock

maybe it would be enough to just use the new boot.img from sudan in your rom?

Guest DanWilson
And that's another reason not to try any out. I really do not want to brick my phone or anybody elses.

I don't expect any other roms to provide any benefit to us right now. The only options we have at the moment are the 2.2 development and the hope that Huawei releases a fixed 2.1 rom soon.

Since we don't have to build a new kernel, can't we use the UK/Tre kernel to build a 2.1 ROM?

From one of the t-mobile guys.....

Hi Rob Thanks for your mail, TMUK are working on releasing the 2.1 build within 8 weeks subject to final testing and approval.

TMUK did release the software and after feedback the software was postponed.

The GPL code has been requested from Huawei and this will be made available ASAP.

Thanks for the heads up on the Huawei forum which is being reviewed.

Regards, Davinder

• 2 months later...
Guest Epic-Emodude
What's about this? It's november...

I know =( But then we were ment to get the original 2.1 in the middle ten days of april I think, and we didnt get it till july, so add 3 months on... January =)by which time there will be hype about honeycomb...

*utters about T-mobiles uselessness*

At least we have TOMG and cyanogen mod =)