CyanogenMod 6 Discussion / Help

Guest DanWilson

Guest AntonioPT
Sorry for being a spamming douchebag, but does anyone know if disabling compcache will increase battery life?

Perhaps... Compcache uses CPU, so no compache should mean less CPU usage...

Perhaps... Compcache uses CPU, so no compache should mean less CPU usage...

Could you try doing it, it says it have to reboot, and I'm afraid of getting stuck in a bootloop again...

sorry.

Guest hyakamaru
Ok, I hope this works. Disclaimer: I don't want to reinstall my rom to test this, so if you try to do it, you are doing the beta testing.

Make a nandroid backup before messing with these files! I promise nothing.

Links:

Chinese handwriting

Chinese Touchpal

After downloading, INSTALL the "InstallHC121024.zip" via CW Recovery. It is not "signed", so you have to use CW Recovery and toggle it to allow installing non-signed files. WARNING: you have to have enough space in /system to install this. I don't recommend trying it unless you used flibblesan's gapps or the tiny gapps in your original CM6.1 installation. But I don't know for sure that is true. If you try to install and something doesn't work, that is a probable reason. Of course you can try to delete some apps out of /system/app to make space for this; that's always another alternative.

But, the second zip, "TPChinese.zip" is not an install file. It is a simple zip of Touchpal and the two language packs for Simplified and Traditional Chinese input (traditional includes Zhuyin; simplified includes bihua and pinyin). Unzip it and install the three apps from your SD card via your file manager. I installed it that way on my phone because I am using DTApps2SD and I don't have a space problem. They could be installed into the rom, but I haven't done that yet, and I don't see a good enough reason to go through all that work.

You don't have to install Touchpal to get the handwriting to work.

And, please, come back and report on what happened. Share the knowledge.

(Now, I have some serious work to do for my real job before I can go to bed, so I really have to get out of here!)

I've installed both successfully, but the input option does not appear on the keyboard. Why is that?

scrn2.pngscrn1.png

post-728915-1289277548_thumb.png

I've installed both successfully, but the input option does not appear on the keyboard. Why is that?

scrn2.pngscrn1.png

I'm not sure what you mean. Your pictures are of the settings menu and the standard Android keyboard in use. All I can surmise is that you haven't yet selected the HanvonCalla or the Touchpal keyboard as your "Input method". (Sorry if I am wrong about that.) So if I am right, you just need to put your cursor on a text entry field in any app. Then hold your finger on that text entry field until the "Edit text" menu pops up. Then scroll down to the bottom of that pop up and tap "Input method". Then select either the HC IME or Touchpal.

Is that what you meant?

By the way, did HanvonCalla install correctly for you from within Recovery, or did you install it some other way. I never tried to install it myself, because I have it built-in to my modified ROM, so I don't install it separately. But I'd like to know if that file works.

Seriously people, read this!

Dan, this thread is way to long to read all of it!

Ok, now that I've got that off my chest, my point is this: I can't find something that I have to believe someone else has asked about already. So here we do again........

In CM6.1 beta 0.30, all my front facing buttons wake the phone (including the call button, trackball and end button). That's bad for me, and I don't like it, and I want it back to the way it is "supposed" to be (that only the menu and back buttons do it). But I can't find anywhere to adjust that in settings. Any help anyone?

And, back to you Dan. Since you are the OP, I think it is your responsibility to catalog this thread and give us the outline up front. :rolleyes:

Edit: And, yes, I do know about the Cyanogenmod Settings/Input Settings/Button Settings, but these are all already off.

Edited by twrock

Guest hyakamaru
I'm not sure what you mean. Your pictures are of the settings menu and the standard Android keyboard in use. All I can surmise is that you haven't yet selected the HanvonCalla or the Touchpal keyboard as your "Input method". (Sorry if I am wrong about that.) So if I am right, you just need to put your cursor on a text entry field in any app. Then hold your finger on that text entry field until the "Edit text" menu pops up. Then scroll down to the bottom of that pop up and tap "Input method". Then select either the HC IME or Touchpal.

Is that what you meant?

By the way, did HanvonCalla install correctly for you from within Recovery, or did you install it some other way. I never tried to install it myself, because I have it built-in to my modified ROM, so I don't install it separately. But I'd like to know if that file works.

My problem is that I cannot select TouchPal/HanvonCalla as input method. I use HTC_IME with my own phone, and it has the "International Keyboard" option wherein you can easily select the lang. The HanvonCalla/TouchPal is a bit more confusing for me :rolleyes:

So to change input methods, I need to hold me finger on the text entry every time? I can't change lang before I start typing?

How I installed HanvonCalla:

1. Turn off phone, then to CW Recovery Mode

2. Mount SD Card > Transferred zip file to card > Unmount.

3. Disabled the "install signed zips only" (sth like that) option.

4. Installed the zip file.

5. Done.

How I installed TouchPal:

1. Installed Astro File Manager.

2. Mount SD Card > Transferred unzipped TouchPal zip file to card > Unmount.

3. Open Astro File Manager > Browse to the TouchPal folder.

4. Installed each of the APKs, as with any application.

5. It will ask you to check "Unknown sources" option in "Applications" before you can install any non-Market APK file.

6. Done.

Twrock, the free app "Backlight Off" from the market will solve your problem radically and even will give you a little power-save :rolleyes:

Thanks for offering help.

Well, I tried it, but it didn't do anything that I can tell. From the description of the app, I don't see how it will solve my problem. Maybe I'm not doing a good job of describing my problem, but this didn't fix it.

My problem is that I cannot select TouchPal/HanvonCalla as input method. I use HTC_IME with my own phone, and it has the "International Keyboard" option wherein you can easily select the lang. The HanvonCalla/TouchPal is a bit more confusing for me :rolleyes:

So to change input methods, I need to hold me finger on the text entry every time? I can't change lang before I start typing?

From your pictures, I can see you successfully installed and enabled those two IME's. So now that they are "available" to you, yes, you have to pick which one you want to use. So, yes, you choose the one you want to use by holding your finger on a text entry area in some app like Notepad, and choosing which of your installed IME's you want to use. After you have selected an input method (HC IME or Touchpal or Android or any other installed IME), that will be your default IME until you choose a different one using the same method. This allows you to quickly change which IME you want to use at any time.

How I installed HanvonCalla:

1. Turn off phone, then to CW Recovery Mode

2. Mount SD Card > Transferred zip file to card > Unmount.

3. Disabled the "install signed zips only" (sth like that) option.

4. Installed the zip file.

5. Done.

How I installed TouchPal:

1. Installed Astro File Manager.

2. Mount SD Card > Transferred unzipped TouchPal zip file to card > Unmount.

3. Open Astro File Manager > Browse to the TouchPal folder.

4. Installed each of the APKs, as with any application.

5. It will ask you to check "Unknown sources" option in "Applications" before you can install any non-Market APK file.

6. Done.

Perfect! Yes, that is what I was interested in knowing. Thanks for being the beta tester on that. :huh:

Guest TaiwanCHT8k
Thanks for offering help.

Well, I tried it, but it didn't do anything that I can tell. From the description of the app, I don't see how it will solve my problem. Maybe I'm not doing a good job of describing my problem, but this didn't fix it.

There was an old thread about custom key layout, which also mentioned the wake-up trigger you were looking for

To make things quick, search for these keys within /system/usr/keylayout/surf_keypad.kl :

key 61

key 62

key 232

and then edit them as follows:

CALL WAKE_DROPPED

ENDCALL WAKE_DROPPED

DPAD_CENTER WAKE_DROPPED

How do i make sure that DT-A2SD is working properly?

This is what terminal emulator tells me.

$su
# a2sd check
[ ] Apps2SD is launching...
__ _____
| \ |
| | |
|__/ | Darktremor Apps2SD 2.7.5.2 (2010-09-30)

[ ] GetProp Command = /system/bin/toolbox getprop
[ ] SetProp Command = /system/bin/toolbox setprop
[ ] Mount Point = /sd-ext
[ ] Starting Apps2SD Check Program.
[ ] Checking for ext partition

Darktremor 2.7.5.2 Apps2SD Status Report
================================================================================
==
Legend: [*]=Setting is correct
[!]=Setting is correct, but not optimal.
[X]=Setting is incorrect and needs to be fixed or option is not available.
================================================================================
==
Block Device - [*] Found
- [*] /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
EXT Partition - [*] Mounted
Mount Point - [ ] /sd-ext
Partition Type - [*] EXT2
Support EXT2? - [*] Yes
Support EXT3? - [X] No
Support EXT4? - [X] No

Apps - [ ] Linked to SD Card.
[ ] No Apps2SD Flag File not found.
[*] Programs run from SD card
To run from internal storage, type a2sd remove

Private Apps - [ ] Linked to SD Card.
[*] Private Programs run from SD card

Dalvik Cache - [ ] Regular directory.
[ ] Dalvik to /cache flag file not found.
^@ [ ] Dalvik to SD flag file not found.
[*] Dalvik runs from Int. Storage. To run from SD card, type a2sd cachesd.
To run from /cache partition, type a2sd cachepart.

Swap - [ ] Partition not present or no swap support.
[*] Swap does not start.

ZipAlign - [*] Not running at boot.
To activate it, type a2sd zipalign

Dalvik Heap(MB) - [*] Set to Default.

Low Memory
Killer Settings - [*] 1536,2048,4096,5120,5632,6144
Note: Values are in pages.
1 page = 4KB memory.

Values represent the following:
1st number = Foreground App
2nd number = Visible App
3rd number = Secondary Server
4th number = Hidden App
5th number = Content Provider
6th number = Empty App

[] For a list of commands that you can use with Apps2SD
Type: a2sd help
#[/codebox]

Guest AntonioPT
How do i make sure that DT-A2SD is working properly?

from your terminal output:

Apps					- [ ] Linked to SD Card.

There's a check on "Programs run from SD card", so your A2SD is working properly. :rolleyes:

from your terminal output:

Apps					- [ ] Linked to SD Card.

There's a check on "Programs run from SD card", so your A2SD is working properly. :rolleyes:

Great!

How come I keep losing space from the internal memory then, i've got 24,66mb left.

Guest AntonioPT
Great!

How come I keep losing space from the internal memory then, i've got 24,66mb left.

Your dalvik cache is still being stored on the internal memory, to move it to the SD card run 'a2sd cachesd', after 'su' of course. When it boots up again the phone should have much more free internal memory :rolleyes:

Your dalvik cache is still being stored on the internal memory, to move it to the SD card run 'a2sd cachesd', after 'su' of course. When it boots up again the phone should have much more free internal memory :rolleyes:

Are there any negative sides to this?

Unless your SD card is very, very slow, there aren't any downsides from moving the dalvik cache to SD.

Cool, I think my SD i class 6 so that'll be fine.

But are you sure that it's a command made from the terminal, because when I tried to enable JIT using the command "a2sd jit" I ended up having to reinstall the ROM, it was a setting that had to be set from the "CM settings", I cannot find a Dalvic cache to sd setting here though.

Guest AntonioPT
Cool, I think my SD i class 6 so that'll be fine.

But are you sure that it's a command made from the terminal, because when I tried to enable JIT using the command "a2sd jit" I ended up having to reinstall the ROM, it was a setting that had to be set from the "CM settings", I cannot find a Dalvic cache to sd setting here though.

'a2sd jit' didn't work because that command is just for 2.1 (2.2 has JIT integrated). Don't worry, you can run 'a2sd cachesd' without a problem :rolleyes:

'a2sd jit' didn't work because that command is just for 2.1 (2.2 has JIT integrated). Don't worry, you can run 'a2sd cachesd' without a problem :rolleyes:

I did it, now I have a lot of memory, thank you! :huh:

There was an old thread about custom key layout, which also mentioned the wake-up trigger you were looking for

To make things quick, search for these keys within /system/usr/keylayout/surf_keypad.kl :

key 61

key 62

key 232

and then edit them as follows:

CALL WAKE_DROPPED

ENDCALL WAKE_DROPPED

DPAD_CENTER WAKE_DROPPED

Thanks much! I'll give this a try later and see what happens.

While I'm at it, I think I'll make that volume rocker adjustment. IIRC, it is in the same place.

Edit: So does surf_keypad.kl override qwerty.kl? I don't have a surf_keypad.kl and in qwerty.kl those settings already exist.

Edit2: Oh, looks like I found the thread you were referring to. I'll have a look there too. (Customise Hardware Buttons)

Edited by twrock

does someone know where to find the low battery notification tone? it's scaring me every time and i want to replace it...

It should scare you. :rolleyes:

Edited by twrock