Huawei U8500

Guest ogiogi

Guest xdandroid

in /system/wifi there is actually a test wifi firmware... now i only need root... ;) the original firware was allegedly possible to root with z4root so i'll give that a try.

ok, the firmware is rootable with z4root ;)

Guest xdandroid

WIFI fixed. the file /system/etc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf is missing, what you have to do to get it working is this:

1. root the phone with z4root (enable unknown sources, copy the apk to the SD-card and launch it from there with the built-in file manager, run z4root and select "permanent root")

2. connect with adb and get root

adb shell

$ su

(press allow on the phone to allow su)

3. remount /system rw:

mount -rw -o remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system

4. make /system writable

chmod 755 system

5. copy the file

cd /system/etc/wifi

busybox cp /system/cust/hw/default/wpa_supplicant.conf wpa_supplicant.conf

now you can enable wifi

Guest Pulseuser1
A bit off topic but has anyone seen this little UI that's all the buzz now, apparently Cyanogen is also interested in porting this thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT48H5VrsmM...feature=related

I saw a video where the phone app is shown and it looks awesome. Maybe a bit too Iphone but some may argue that it's in fact the best of both worlds Cheers

I most definitely agree with you. This would be awesome on our phones ;) :(

Guest Sh4d0w940

I've deodexed the apps but since I'm running the CM mod I can't try them.

Also there's a lot of chinese stuff in the rom but some of the apps and all widgets are translated in a lot of different languages.

The rom mentioned in the first post is bound to one provider and at least one app checks wheter your sim is from that provider.

If someone (who understands chinese?) wants the deodexed apps I might upload them.

So the widgets are definitely in the rom and if someone really wants them it should be possible to get them running on different roms.

Edit: It not usefull for Pulse owners but I forgot to mention that I've also found an wifi tether app included in the rom :unsure:

Sh4d0w940

Edited by Sh4d0w940

Guest xdandroid
Edit: It not usefull for Pulse owners but I forgot to mention that I've also found an wifi tether app included in the rom :unsure:

Sh4d0w940

the wifi tether app is included in the other ROM-s for U8500 as well...

Guest IceXcube84
I've deodexed the apps but since I'm running the CM mod I can't try them.

Also there's a lot of chinese stuff in the rom but some of the apps and all widgets are translated in a lot of different languages.

The rom mentioned in the first post is bound to one provider and at least one app checks wheter your sim is from that provider.

If someone (who understands chinese?) wants the deodexed apps I might upload them.

So the widgets are definitely in the rom and if someone really wants them it should be possible to get them running on different roms.

Sh4d0w940

the wifi tether app is included in the other ROM-s for U8500 as well...

Some of the apps i think will work on the U8220/Pulse.

I have not tested it yet but i will when i get time to do it.

I did not like the music player in the U8500 so i change it to that other one i have posted here before that i found in the FLB-Mod Thread i think it was?

Not sure...

But if its not to much asked can you upload the deoxed apps from the China Telecom firmware for the U8500?

Guest Sh4d0w940
Some of the apps i think will work on the U8220/Pulse.

I have not tested it yet but i will when i get time to do it.

I did not like the music player in the U8500 so i change it to that other one i have posted here before that i found in the FLB-Mod Thread i think it was?

Not sure...

But if its not to much asked can you upload the deoxed apps from the China Telecom firmware for the U8500?

Here's the link: http://www.mediafire.com/?rq5iic4db7awt2j

Only some google apps are missing because they're not different from pulse roms and give problems with deodexing.

And the tether app doesn't work, it needs some files from lib and bin but if you copy them over it still gives errors.

Sh4d0w940

Guest ADD-VT

Flashed it to my U8500 bought in Sweden and it's very fast and has lots of nice widgets (and chinese applications) but WIFI doesn't work.

im trying to download it but it times out.. Anyone please send me a link where i can download the U8500 firmware

Guest IceXcube84
Here's the link: http://www.mediafire.com/?rq5iic4db7awt2j

Only some google apps are missing because they're not different from pulse roms and give problems with deodexing.

And the tether app doesn't work, it needs some files from lib and bin but if you copy them over it still gives errors.

Sh4d0w940

Thank you for the file that you uploaded for me :unsure: B)

im trying to download it but it times out.. Anyone please send me a link where i can download the U8500 firmware

Here you can download the China Unicom firmware for the U8500

http://www.huaweidevice.com/cn/productFeat...0&treeId=30

And then you click on a button with the text: 下载 that means downloads i think

U8500 V100R001C17B259 2010-12-16 That is the newest China Unicom firmware.

And here under is the firmware for the MTC Evo

This version seems to be very clean nothing special in it and there is MTC apps in it but no nice widgets i think.

U8500V100R001C96B257 (MTC Evo) Belarus

http://mts.by/support/phones/update/firmware_update_mts_evo/

Here is some links for the MTC Evo

http://forum.onliner.by/viewtopic.php?t=2090167

http://www.onliner.by/test/gsm/huawei_u8500/

I have not test the China Unicom or the MTC firmwares for i dont risk to lose the swedish version in my little sisters U8500

Its not my phone.

Not my fault if something go wrong...

Iam trying to find or get the firmware that is in the Swedish version of the Huawei U8500 that you get here in sweden.

U8500V100R001C00B259 is the name of the firmware. I have not found it yet if i do i will upload it to my Dropbox or post the link here.

Edited by IceXcube84

Guest IceXcube84
There is a firmware labeled U8500 V100R001C00B259 hidden away on the Huawei website. It has the word 'Normal' commented alongside it, which suggests it doesn't have any Swedish customisations but it could be the same firmware. Direct link: U8500 V100R001C00B259.zip

How the hell did you find it?

I try to find it on the english version but there was no firmware for the U8500 at all only the china page.

THANK YOU!

That must be same version there is on the Huawei U8500 that is in sweden.

Offtopic

Sorry if i ask but have you seen some firmware for the Huawei U8300?

That is firmware iam trying to find. But have found nothing yet.

Edited by IceXcube84

Guest MaxSmith

hey m8s!! need help! i just got my u8500 bought frm sweeden, runing on 2.1 update 1, nice phone,

but now need some help how to get started with it. it seems littlebit slow and word is that 2.3 gingerbr is faster as hell! can i change it and how should i do it?

the phone is soo fking new soo there is soo less material in google for it.

and im !!not at my own sandbox!! jet with androids (PSP and nokia communicator has been my earlier gadgets)

and i think there is many guys who are looking for same answer as i do, soo plees HELP!!

any instrucktion is welcome!!! its totaly stock u8500!

Tnx m8s!!

Guest McSpoon

Basically the way I discover them is this: Every download on the Huawei website is referenced by a number (the fileName parameter in the URL). Increment that number and you get a different file. So I just keep incrementing it to discover what's there. They support a LOT of products so there are thousands of updates, most of which are irrelevant to their Android devices. I setup a script to do it back when we were eagerly awaiting their Android 2.1 U8220 firmware and I still run it occasionally because it's easier than trying to navigate their website to find updates.

Here are the U8300 firmwares:

U8300 V100R001ITAC113B259 (Italy Wind)

U8300 V100R001SWEC125B258 (Sweden HI3G)

U8300 V100R001AUSC34B257SP01 (Australia Optus)

U8300 V100R001AUSC34B260 (Australia Optus)

U8300 V100R001THAC208B261SP01 (Thailand TOT)

U8300 V100R001THAC208B263 (Thailand TOT)

U8300 V100R001C09B261SP01 (Poland P4)

Just to keep this thread on topic, some more U8500 firmwares:

U8500 V100R001C00B259 (Normal)

U8500 V100R001C66B257 (Russia VIP)

U8500 V100R001C05B257 (Taiwan CHT)

U8500 V100R001C96B257 (White Russia mts)

U8500 V100R001C24B260SP01 (Lithuania OMNITEL)

U8500 V100R001C38B260 (Malaysia Maxis)

U8500 V100R001C44B261 (Angora Unitel)

U8500 V100R001C230B259 (Pakistan ufone)

And a new device called the UM840 (Android 2.1) which appears to be based on the U8500:

UM840 V100R001C32B251 (Venezuela Movilnet)

Warning: You can easily brick your phone with these files. Only install the correct firmware if it matches the build number on your device (Settings -> About Phone -> Build Number).

There is a Perl script for unpacking UPDATA.APP files to safely explore their contents. See this thread for info on that.

Guest IceXcube84
Basically the way I discover them is this: Every download on the Huawei website is referenced by a number (the fileName parameter in the URL). Increment that number and you get a different file. So I just keep incrementing it to discover what's there. They support a LOT of products so there are thousands of updates, most of which are irrelevant to their Android devices. I setup a script to do it back when we were eagerly awaiting their Android 2.1 U8220 firmware and I still run it occasionally because it's easier than trying to navigate their website to find updates.

Here are the U8300 firmwares:

U8300 V100R001ITAC113B259 (Italy Wind)

U8300 V100R001SWEC125B258 (Sweden HI3G)

U8300 V100R001AUSC34B257SP01 (Australia Optus)

U8300 V100R001AUSC34B260 (Australia Optus)

U8300 V100R001THAC208B261SP01 (Thailand TOT)

U8300 V100R001THAC208B263 (Thailand TOT)

U8300 V100R001C09B261SP01 (Poland P4)

Just to keep this thread on topic, some more U8500 firmwares:

U8500 V100R001C00B259 (Normal)

U8500 V100R001C05B257 (Taiwan CHT)

U8500 V100R001C96B257 (White Russia mts)

U8500 V100R001C24B260SP01 (Lithuania OMNITEL)

U8500 V100R001C38B260 (Malaysia Maxis)

U8500 V100R001C44B261 (Angora Unitel)

U8500 V100R001C230B259 (Pakistan ufone)

And a new device called the UM840 (Android 2.1) which appears to be based on the U8500:

UM840 V100R001C32B251 (Venezuela Movilnet)

Warning: You can easily brick your phone with these files. Only install the correct firmware if it matches the build number on your device (Settings -> About Phone -> Build Number).

There is a Perl script for unpacking UPDATA.APP files to safely explore their contents. See this thread for info on that.

Very nice!

big thank you for all the links

I have never used perl script before. How can i unpack the updata.app files on Windows 7?

Edited by IceXcube84

Guest ADD-VT

I try to find it on the english version but there was no firmware for the U8500 at all only the china page.

THANK YOU!

That must be same version there is on the Huawei U8500 that is in sweden.

Offtopic

That is firmware iam trying to find. But have found nothing yet.

I flashed V100R001C00B259.zip and yes its the "generic" firmware with swedish language and keyboard.

Then i rooted the phone with z4Root and picked all other unessecery apk and odex away with root explorer:)

Phone runs nice :unsure:

Guest Sh4d0w940
Very nice!

big thank you for all the links

I have never used perl script before. How can i unpack the updata.app files on Windows 7?

Download Perl portable and open it, then you just have to run the script with the updata.app in the same folder.

Sh4d0w940

Guest IceXcube84
Download Perl portable and open it, then you just have to run the script with the updata.app in the same folder.

Sh4d0w940

I have try to unpack it with Perl Portable but its not working.

I need a guide to unpack it :unsure:

@ McSpoon

Hi! First and foremost THANKS! Thanks for linking the U8500 firmewares.

I've tried to figure out what you mean when you explain how you find the hidden firewares. Could you please give us an example of how you do?

Guest MaxSmith
I flashed V100R001C00B259.zip and yes its the "generic" firmware with swedish language and keyboard.

Then i rooted the phone with z4Root and picked all other unnecessary apk and odex away with root explorer:)

Phone runs nice :D

i did same, all works great!!

removed some retard Chinese and Madagascar LOL:D why,why,why,whyyy:D, etc. language packs (round 15 total) kept only ones i need 3tk (gave major boost in speed)

and i would like to remove more original apps but im not sure if im allowed to do that without badword up some other apps

would like to remove:

original sms app because i use Handcend sms now

original Navigation app because i use CoPilot Live

original Maps app same reason as last

original Browser app because i use Opera Mini

original Email app because i use Gmail only

this Latitude app have even no interest what it does!:P

soo can i delete them with root explorer? i know they are in folder /system/apps

but allso, the soo called "unpacked" or "install" folders are located in /data/data/ (it contains even the folders for the apps i have uninstalled in past, CAN I REMOVE them)

Please have anyone delete them before?, cause i dont want to risk loosing all my config. and start flashing and rooting and installing everything from 0

Help!!!!

Guest 70challenger

I have bought this phone recently and cannot get it to find my network and was wondering if I should try a new firmware as this one is from Belarus and I am in Canada. I do not see the option to choose network mode WCDMA and think this is the problem. It is an MTC Evo branded phone. I have downloaded the normal firmware but have no idea how to install it but can follow instructions very well.

Cheers

I have bought this phone recently and cannot get it to find my network and was wondering if I should try a new firmware as this one is from Belarus and I am in Canada. I do not see the option to choose network mode WCDMA and think this is the problem. It is an MTC Evo branded phone. I have downloaded the normal firmware but have no idea how to install it but can follow instructions very well.

Cheers

Put the dload folder on the SD-card. Turn off the phone. Press and hold Volume Up + End Call and start the phone while holding these two buttons. Your phone will be flashed with the new firmware. If this will solve your issues i couldn't tell you. Best of luck!

Guest 70challenger
Put the dload folder on the SD-card. Turn off the phone. Press and hold Volume Up + End Call and start the phone while holding these two buttons. Your phone will be flashed with the new firmware. If this will solve your issues i couldn't tell you. Best of luck!

Thanks, that worked as far as installing the firmware but it still doesnt work, may not be compatible with my network

(U8300) hi! i need the wifi-tether and stuff that are needed to make it work.. i use the Wireless-Tether.apk from maket but i dont wanna root.. i use z4root, temp rooting.. the original U8300 has wifi-tether as standard but hi3g in sweden removed it! dont know why.. i tried to mave the original wi-tether from done_app.7z, but it crash. i place it in /system/app and rebooted.. maybee there must be some other stuff to make it work? btw.. (LiveWallpapers.apk, LiveWallpapersPicker.apk worked!) plz help! thank you!