Access Point Name (APN) settings for UK mobile network providers.

Guest billyhl

Guest westmer

Thanks guys all is as it should be. internet mms etc. Very nice to know people like yourselves are prepared to help out those in need.

Thanks guys all is as it should be. internet mms etc. Very nice to know people like yourselves are prepared to help out those in need.

You're welcome!

Guest tunasized

Hi Guys, I'm new to this site, i just purchased a unlocked orange san franisco to work. It works great with my tmobile sim even tho i'm in the US. However I have some trouble sending MMS but my old phone worked fine. Reading through this thread i found out a access point is needed x_x Can anyone provide the accesspoint needed for T-Mobile USA for this phone? :) all the one i saw on the thread was for uk B)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dan F

Hi All,

1st post after having a good read through the various set up threads for the OSF.

Having some problems with my new to me 2nd hand phone. I'm totally new to android phones so go easy, but I work my way around most things if led by experience.

I bought the phone as unlocked and rooted, purchased a Tesco mobile pay monthly £10 with 500 minutes and 500mb which sounded quite reasonable to me (12 month contract).

So I first put the sim in the phone and called Tesco Tech line to manually put in the APN settings. Added the settings okay but noticed that I wasn't getting anything, 'No Service'. tried to call the sim number and got a dead line so called Tesco back who said that they hadn't activated the sim (previously told me it was activated) so did there and then. Phone still shows 'no service', so I call the number again and get the Tesco answering service. So now I'm happy the sim works but still no service in the phone.

I first thought that the phone might still be locked, but I'm thinking it isn't as, reading the various unlocking threads on here, I would have been prompted for a code which I wasn't. If I go into settings the phone shows the correct phone number, but unknown network and 'no service'. Tried the sim from my Virgin mobile phone and does the same thing.

Am I right in thinking that even if I didn't have the APN settings right, putting a working sim in the phone should still allow the phone to work as a phone? Or is it not that simple and I've I messed up on the settings somewhere?

I can't think of what else I can check or do to work out what's wrong; so in a word: Help!

Cheers,

Dan

Guest Thar
...I first thought that the phone might still be locked, but I'm thinking it isn't as, reading the various unlocking threads on here, I would have been prompted for a code which I wasn't. If I go into settings the phone shows the correct phone number, but unknown network and 'no service'. Tried the sim from my Virgin mobile phone and does the same thing.

Am I right in thinking that even if I didn't have the APN settings right, putting a working sim in the phone should still allow the phone to work as a phone? Or is it not that simple and I've I messed up on the settings somewhere?

I can't think of what else I can check or do to work out what's wrong; so in a word: Help!

Cheers,

Dan

The phone definitely isn't locked as you would be prompted for a code.

As you suggest, the "phone" side of things should work without the APN settings. Do you know that the phone was working before you bought it?

I don't think this is the problem but did Tesco give you the settings from post #18 Click here?

Guest Dan F

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, The APN settings that Tesco gave me match those in the post. Strangely, since posting I was fiddling about swapping sims again and my Virgin sim actually connected to T Mobile briefly (less than a minute) just long enough to try making a call and it did. Since then I've left the Virgin sim in it and get the odd weak connection but you literally just pick it up and the signal is lost again.

Sold to me as 'working' but it's an ebay phone....

I just want to be totally sure the issue is with the phone before I start on the seller.

Up to now I'm thinking that it is the phone that's the problem; I don't have any signal dead zones in my house and have never had any issues with other handsets. If APN settings, or any other settings aren't going to cause this issue, I think I need to speak with the seller.

One other thing, after I put the Virgin sim in it no longer had the Tesco APN info saved? Is this stored on the sim then? I've added the T Mobile and Virgin APN details too just to see if I can actually get online if I can get a signal for long enough.

Edited by Dan F

Guest Thar
One other thing, after I put the Virgin sim in it no longer had the Tesco APN info saved? Is this stored on the sim then? I've added the T Mobile and Virgin APN details too just to see if I can actually get online if I can get a signal for long enough.

Apparently, once you have saved any APN's you may want to use, when you switch SIM's the relevant settings automatically populate.

Sounds like it may indeed be the phone if it is picking up the signal intermittently, certainly if you normally get a good signal in your home. It looks like you're going to have to have it out with the seller.

Guest Dan F

The realisation that I may have been 'ad off' on ebay has slowly dawned on me over the last 24 hours.

I'm never at the 'cutting edge' of the latest, greatest and have bought a few phones off ebay previously with positive results, but there's always the first time.

Wish me luck and I pray to the god of paypal I can resolve this.

I'm sold on the phone anyway so I'll just buy the £99 PAYG from Orange and sort it from there.

Cheers,

Dan

• 2 months later...
Guest Harveyd

I guess what you could do is install "APN Backup & Restore" from the market then download this zip and extract it to your SD card.ApnBackupRestore.zip

It's a copy of the custom APN config I'm using on my phone and should have APN information for most networks. If not it can be edited quite simply.

Once extracted open the app and click restore.

Right I'm the biggest newbie to this site and to phone, all I know is that I can't connect to my o2 network on pay monthly sim but can connect to tesco pay and go sim. I thought installing these apns onto the SD would help is that right? The thing is I dont know how to do that and I have some clockwork program that I got no idea how to work as it came on the phone when I bought it. Any form of help would be much appropriated

Guest Harveyd

I will also add that when I clicked on that link to download it it opened it with "rom manager" which I got no idea what that is... this phone is mentioned to be a birthday present but can't Eben manage to get it to work ATM! Help lol

• 3 months later...
Guest andysee

I guess what you could do is install "APN Backup & Restore" from the market then download this zip and extract it to your SD card.ApnBackupRestore.zip

It's a copy of the custom APN config I'm using on my phone and should have APN information for most networks. If not it can be edited quite simply.

Once extracted open the app and click restore.

still does the business .. thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest Paul K

I have a Star S5 MTK6589 china phone which has no APNs configured. Is there a way of importing these into it using the file in this thread??

Does anyone know what the Preferences (PLMN) should be set to as they are not UK providers ??

• 2 months later...
Guest digitaldai

Hello

I am currently running CM9 on my wifes ZTE Blade, Does anybody know if there is an issue setting up the APN for OVIVO which uses vodafone. All the details are correct still says network disconnected.

I encountered a similar known problem with CM7 on my phone (ACER liquid MT) and had to revert to a stock based version of android for the APN to work.

FYI OVIVO mobile - 150mins, 200 text 500mb data free after £15 purchase of sim with a few adverts if you use the browser pretty good deal!

One final question updated the blade to a gen 3 layout to allow CM9 to work, I am guessing gen 2 roms won't work on this partitioning system anymore.