19/Nov r14: VISIONary + one click root

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest thedeathofme

Hello, I've been reading in the app market that this is working for the Droid X. Wanted to hear it from you direct if these claimes are true before I run the app for myself. I understand you make no mention of the DX being supported, but I would just like to know if you in fact have heard from any credible sources if this is true or not. Thanks in advance!

Edited by thedeathofme

Guest removed-14

Just tried on my HTC Desire, says it is rooting device then reboots the phone. I went into a terminal app and type su and got permission denied. Am I missing something?

Guest removed-14

Stupidly I decided to try the "root on boot" option. Now my phone just boots, Visionary runs and reboots the phone, over and over again. Luckily I managed to catch it with a task killer before it rebooted again. Hopefully this can be fixed for a future release. Every 'one click' root I've tried has not worked on my 2.2 Vodafone ROM'd Desire.

VISIONary + is now in the Android Market @ £1.99. This is a COMPLETE OPTIONAL donate version with new features for testing.

I'll be updating the main VISIONary post with details on the Plus version and also adding a list of tested devices.

P

Guest apaapa2
It should work on Desire and Wildfire already?

P

I tried it on my Desire yesterday. The first time I ran the app it said "Rooting device, please wait", and then after some time the app window went all black and nothing happened. I pressed my Home-button, and HTC Sense crashed and restarted. No root.

I tried one more time, and this time the whole device restarted soon after the "Rooting device, please wait" message. I now noticed that the Superuser app was installed, but wouldn't run. I tried running VISIONary once more, and this time I just got the "rooting device, please wait" message, then black screen (with only status bar visible), and no HTC Sense crash or reboot. And still no root. I tried installing ShootMe just to make sure, but it said I didn't have root.

HTC Desire GSM, unbranded. USB debuggig enabled.

Edited by apaapa2

It should work on Desire and Wildfire already?

P

I have a t-mobile desire running 2.2. Visionary runs as you would expect. Reboots and then all is normal.

Download a terminal app and it says access denied.

The run on reboot button was not ticked. Does it need to be on a normal desire?

Guest Michael Perry

Hey Paul-

Just a question on the VISIONary run on reboot option on the G2 here on TMO US. Applications that run on boot like the XDA SuperPower app or Juice Defender have some issues when the phone restarts. I think there is some contention between the application running and VISIONary. Also, has anyone noticed that after some time goes by with the phone rooted that applications like Titanium backup start saying that the phone is not rooted? Is this a cache issue with how things are done on the G2? The VISIONary r10 applications works great for me in all regards. Just curious about the run on start option and how others manage their phones with applications like XDA SuperPower or JuiceDefender that want to start on boot as well.

Thanks for the great work on this stuff Paul! Much appreciated.

Guest thedeathofme

@ Paul... Did you happen to see my post from the previous page about using your app on a Droid X?

Edited by thedeathofme

Guest cbullard

Hey I decided I wanted to root my g2. Just temporary tho. But if that's done away no biggie permanate is good. I searched it on you tube and the web. All pointing to the visionary app on the market. Well I been searching all day and its now 1130 on 11-9-2010 and the visionary app is no where to be found? Can anyone help? Did t mobile throw a fit cause rooting happened and blocked it from the market? Any help would b appreciated. Email me @ [email protected] thanks

Guest ainmosni

Hey, to start, thanks for the great work on this but I can't seem to find VISIONary on the market, I have a HTC Desire HD running fitmware version 1.32.405.6 on Vodafone in the Netherlands.

Does anyone else have problems finding it and is there a possibility of an APK of the newest VISIONary to be posted. I only ask this because I can't seem to find it anywhere.

EDIT: Didn't notice the cbullard's question before me, I'm blind.

Edited by ainmosni

Guest removed-14
VISIONary has been suspended from the Market, i'll add the upload to the first post.

P

Suspended by you Paul?

Did you get chance to test with your HTC Desire?

Guest mwright
Changelog

r10

• Now permanent rather than temp on non NAND/EMMC locked devices
  • Default launch now loads preference screen, where 'run on boot' can be configured
  • Other minor fixes

Can someone please confirm that this can still do TEMP root before I upgrade it for other fixes?

Cheers

Guest TheLegendaryJay

Just downloaded the APK from the first post and tried opening it via App Manager (used Astro to open it) and none of the Summary info is displayed, and under the Details tab it says " Could not open /sdcard/com.modaco.visionaryplus.apk as APK file"

Any ideas?

Legend, stock 2.1, non-rooted (ofc).

Edited by TheLegendaryJay

Guest ainmosni
It doesn't do perm root yet on the HD... it still does temp root.

Perm root update to follow (and even then it'll be optional).

P

Yeah, I did it the "hard" way with some kernel modules and dd, it's nice to have a permanently rooted phone. Thanks for making VISIONary available Paul, can I ask what the app uses to accomplish the temp root or can you provide a link to a thread where this is documented.