Android on Omnia II - i8000 (18.04.2011)

Guest almar

Guest FactionOne

Things still running pretty well here, no crashes (just the occassional 'pause' while an application is busy, click 'Wait' and everything's fine).

I've got GoogleMaps with Streetview etc. installed, some cricket news/score apps, ESPN ScoreCenter, gvSIG Mini Maps, Twitter for Android; and I'm happy to report I've even just joined the Swype beta, and it's installed with no problems, and path-following/word recognition is pretty quick.

Just one question though, for those who know more about Android than me...

If I'm in the web-browser (for example), what's the quickest way to get back to the Android 'desktop/home-screen' - if I use the back (camera) button, I navigate backwards a few pages before the browser minimises, there has to be a better way?

All the best,

//R

Just one question though, for those who know more about Android than me...

If I'm in the web-browser (for example), what's the quickest way to get back to the Android 'desktop/home-screen' - if I use the back (camera) button, I navigate backwards a few pages before the browser minimises, there has to be a better way?

On a real Android phone there is a Home button, using the Home button would leave the app running in the background.

As far as I can tell this beta has no mapping for the Home button!

Edited by kyda

Guest FactionOne
On a real Android phone there is a Home button, using the Home button would leave the app running in the background.

As far as I can tell this beta has no mapping for the Home button!

OK, that makes sense - maybe it's something for the end call button in future perhaps - that seems to a black screen factory at the moment.

At least I can stop worrying about it, thanks!

//R

EDIT: This edit made from Android running on my Omnia 2 ;)

Edited by FactionOne

Guest bobhero
What is this dumpstate_sys.log file?

it's in a nice message starting with "we're sorry!..."

I had the same message. I just formatted my SD card again, must be the 4th time I've formatted today ;)

Guest rom_omnia2

Firstly, congrats to the dev team. Seems awesome.

Just one little question.

1) After put o2bupdate.tar.gz on MyStorage, do i have to reinstall (o2Beta\Haret.exe) or just run Haret.exe from MyStorage like usualy?

EDIT: Everything is ok, works pretty good. Thanks again!!

Edited by rom_omnia2

Firstly, congrats to the dev team. Seems awesome.

Just one little question.

1) After put o2bupdate.tar.gz on MyStorage, do i have to reinstall (o2Beta\Haret.exe) or just run Haret.exe from MyStorage like usualy?

put it in My Storage root and run Haret.exe then it will be executed.

Guest FactionOne

OK, one strange quirk, might be related, might not...

I had what I thought was a little bug in the WinMo ROM I was running (from memory a twu2 6.5.3, stripped-out, with SPB and some of the Samsung stuff put back), whereby every now and then I'd try to enable Wi-Fi, but the icon would never appear, and on checking in the settings (tap near GSM signal indicator, then handset with I/O arrorws on the fly-out panel), showed Phone, Bluetooth, even Data Connections, but no Wi-Fi. The simple fix for this was to reboot the phone, and it'd invariably come back.

At the moment I'm on my fifth WinMo reboot, and I can't get Wi-Fi to start either with the switch in SPB, or by using the settings as described above. It's just not there.

EDIT: If I go through the Network page of the Samsung Settings, Wi-Fi is there and I can tap to turn it on, which shows the list of saved networks, but when I tap to connect to my home WLAN, it tries but then fails (without any error).

I can't be sure that this is related to using the Android beta, it could be a complete coincidence, but I thought it worth a mention.

Cheers,

//R

Edited by FactionOne

Guest bobhero

^^ wifi in winmo completely disappeared for me in samsung settings after playing around in android. after rebooting the phone it came back.

Having lots of trouble with market, i either freezes the phone (fm radio keeps playing), or it keeps force closing. When its not doing those 2 things, i can select things apps to download but, the download never actually begins.

Edited by bobhero

Guest nonione

its working great for me everything cept what devs already said arent ready (3G data transfer, camera, phone warming up) other than that its great after 5 or 6 hours of usage started to give me the 'force close' error for every app i tried to open so i just rebooted and its running fine again, im sticking to it forget winmo crap ! lol

Guest FactionOne

^^ Just done some searching on the WiFi thing...

No amount of restarts were bringing it back for me.

There were all kinds of suggestions (installing tools to restart the driver, making static IP profiles with IPs set to 10.0.0.0 (which I can't see would let anyone connect to anything?) etc.) but the one that caught my eye initially was a dodgy registry value.

I looked at HKLM\System\State\Hardware\ and the value for 'Wifi' was 0; again there were numerous suggestions about what it should be set to; but I opted to go binary, set it at 1, and soft-reset.

For now at least, my WinMo Wi-Fi is back ;)

All the best,

Rob.

Guest FactionOne

Last question for tonight...

EDIT: To broaden terms.

I'm a little confused about the partitions/SD card. Does Android mount the remainder of the SD card (or can it?), or will it only ever see the 512/1024MB partition it makes?

My main question though, is what's the best way to drop files onto the SD card from a PC to be accessible by WinMo/Android (either/both)? (card reader in XP PC seems like a no-go)

Any advice/suggestions gratefully received..

//R

PS> Swype beta not authorised after Android reboot btw.

Edited by FactionOne

Guest damienism
I had the same message. I just formatted my SD card again, must be the 4th time I've formatted today ;)

i had the same message yesterday. all i did was to run haret from o2andiod directory, after restart, then i'll run haret from 'My Storage' root folder. No more occurrence of that message after that.

andriod runs really nicely on the phone. i don't know if it only happens to my phone. it gets really hot after running for say 10-30mins.

Guest deadman1007
OK, that makes sense - maybe it's something for the end call button in future perhaps - that seems to a black screen factory at the moment.

At least I can stop worrying about it, thanks!

//R

EDIT: This edit made from Android running on my Omnia 2 ;)

Pushing and hloding the camera button for a second or two is a home button as far as i can tell

i had the same message yesterday. all i did was to run haret from o2andiod directory, after restart, then i'll run haret from 'My Storage' root folder. No more occurrence of that message after that.

andriod runs really nicely on the phone. i don't know if it only happens to my phone. it gets really hot after running for say 10-30mins.

Same message here and fixed it the same way. Unfortunately time to set android up again ;)

Guest Real_life

Have some of with the b7610 tried the keyboard?

I found out that the arrow that allows to go back on menus is the menu key in android

still doesn't recognize mi sim contacts and cannot connect to wifi

Guest Sinistersky

i found a little sumtin sumtin... the battery percentage calculation is either incorrect or differs a lot from wm due to the fact that android shows eg. 75% battery and wm after restart shows about 93% battery... and after another restart from wm shows the same percentage, wm is correct then...wich makes me ask if battery percentage is calculated from time passed...since beta time is uber fast...could somebody drain the android to 0 percent and see if it is still runing after 0 %? or maybe im wrong...just a suggestion xD

One thing I noticed is that the 2d and 3d drivers weren't installed when i reinstalled.

The o2bupdate.tar.gz had been removed from the root of the my storage. Assume this file disappears after the install maybe. I definitely didn't remove it so its the only reason i can see why I needed to copy it back.

I wondered why it kept hanging again when i reinstalled

Guest Dwarlor
i found a little sumtin sumtin... the battery percentage calculation is either incorrect or differs a lot from wm due to the fact that android shows eg. 75% battery and wm after restart shows about 93% battery... and after another restart from wm shows the same percentage, wm is correct then...wich makes me ask if battery percentage is calculated from time passed...since beta time is uber fast...could somebody drain the android to 0 percent and see if it is still runing after 0 %? or maybe im wrong...just a suggestion xD

I've had it down to 2% and it was still running...I did get a red battery icon with a red stripe in it.

I think the battery indication is not quite accurate...

Guest Real_life
One thing I noticed is that the 2d and 3d drivers weren't installed when i reinstalled.

The o2bupdate.tar.gz had been removed from the root of the my storage. Assume this file disappears after the install maybe. I definitely didn't remove it so its the only reason i can see why I needed to copy it back.

I wondered why it kept hanging again when i reinstalled

you sure about that

I updated the file with 7-zip and when gone to droid I checked that the files are there with the file explorer...

Still frezes after a while... For me this problem is something like a ram buffer... Work till it's out of memory then crashes...

Just an example...

People who has it working for hours, you play with it for that time or you only turn it on and let it rest....

you sure about that

I updated the file with 7-zip and when gone to droid I checked that the files are there with the file explorer...

Still frezes after a while... For me this problem is something like a ram buffer... Work till it's out of memory then crashes...

Just an example...

People who has it working for hours, you play with it for that time or you only turn it on and let it rest....

I should note I only placed the o2bupdate.tar.gz in the root of my storage and it copies the files over fine when I checked in android file manager for every reboot (not reinstall). I did not copy the files into the ext2.tar.gz file so maybe thats why it got removed after install. I'm not sure exactly but I definitely didn't delete it myself.

I played around with it a fair bit with no hanging after the updated files. I rebooted android up to 10 times with no dramas. I then got the error message on the graphical android boot screen (not the text part of booting) thus why I had to reinstall. Not sure what triggered that after so much use.

Guest Benmlgn

Hi,

I did everything the descriptions told me to.

I formatted it from samsung settings.

I tried both updated beta's and i slipstreamed the 02bupdate..

but i keep getting frozen on the loading screen of Android..

I waited for 20 minutes a couple of times, but no progress..

what to do

Edited by Benmlgn

Guest emptyara
the best way i found was to use 7 zip .. open o2bupdate.tar.gz and extract folder to desktop .. With 7 zip open archive ext2.tar.gz double click on C:\Users\xxx\Desktop\androis\ext2.tar.gz\ C:\Users\xxx\Desktop\androis\ext2.tar.gz\ext2.tar\ C:\Users\xxx\Desktop\androis\ext2.tar.gz\ext2.tar\.\ C:\Users\xxx\Desktop\androis\ext2.tar.gz\ext2.tar\.\system\ C:\Users\xxx\Desktop\androis\ext2.tar.gz\ext2.tar\.\system\lib\ C:\Users\xxx\Desktop\androis\ext2.tar.gz\ext2.tar\.\system\lib\egl\ now go to the folder that you expanded o2bupdate.tar.gz tunnel to folder egl Highlight the four files that are there and drag them to C:\Users\xxx\Desktop\androis\ext2.tar.gz\ext2.tar\.\system\lib\egl\ ...it will ask if you want to copy file ( yes) ....close out 7zip it will tell you file ext2.tar was modidied do you want to update it in archive ....(ok)...when finish your updated ext2.tar.gz will be there ... I hope this helps

thanx man.. this working for me.. before this i used wrong method to combine those updates.. now everything woks fine.. no freeze after nearly 2 hours..

but, still jealous with Sinistersky bcoz Angry Birds is not playable.. but the +ve thing, it's working!! ;) Im sure this is just a beginning of andromnia :)