Android on Omnia II - i8000 (18.04.2011)

Guest almar

Guest AnYhOw

YAY!! The Developer Team is back! All the best~ (:

Hope that it will be fully optimize for daily usage on the next Beta version.

Edited by AnYhOw

Guest Nelson Neoh

Good work man~! ;)

Finally we have a working Android i8000 now.

Maybe it is still not yet perfect, but at least it already can cope with my daily requirements.

Had noticed with the battery drain issue, I am doing the same thing in Android and winmo, but I can only get to work on Android for not more half day, past was at least 10 hours.

Noticed there is a suggestion to have a CPU tuning in Winmo before boot into Android, and I am testing with this now, see if it can help me to put my mobile to leave for at least more than 1 day.

May this good work continue and finally bring us the full Android Experience on i8000!

Guest mightymouse1045

From everything i read it is a little confusing - so sorry if this has been asked and answered before but searching reveals nothing and scrolling through 360 pages aint happening:

Can Froyo be installed on the microSD card NOT the internal My Storage?

Thanks in advance ;)

Guest problematika
From everything i read it is a little confusing - so sorry if this has been asked and answered before but searching reveals nothing and scrolling through 360 pages aint happening:

Can Froyo be installed on the microSD card NOT the internal My Storage?

Thanks in advance ;)

Of course! :P

Guest johnbrown

I read from XDA that people are able to mount an iso file instead of a ext2/4 partition with haret.exe on HTC HD2.

Some Chinese forums have already applied that to our i8000 android 2.2 rom, they are able to put the android.iso and haret.exe in my storage, such that there is nothing to do with the file system in sd card/ my storage. Everything will be in an iso file of 500~1000mb, no installation is required.

Using this method, the battery life is much much longer (reading SD card consumes a lot of battery), and the sleep of death problem is reduced. Maybe we can do that for future 2.3 beta? I have tried that from Chinese forum. I works fine but that "modified release" seems not as secure as the "official release" here. ;)=)

Guest dpspcdrgn
I read from XDA that people are able to mount an iso file instead of a ext2/4 partition with haret.exe on HTC HD2.

Some Chinese forums have already applied that to our i8000 android 2.2 rom, they are able to put the android.iso and haret.exe in my storage, such that there is nothing to do with the file system in sd card/ my storage. Everything will be in an iso file of 500~1000mb, no installation is required.

Using this method, the battery life is much much longer (reading SD card consumes a lot of battery), and the sleep of death problem is reduced. Maybe we can do that for future 2.3 beta? I have tried that from Chinese forum. I works fine but that "modified release" seems not as secure as the "official release" here. ;)=)

Unfortunately using the .iso will not slow battery drain when using 3g/wifi. At least, it didn't for me!

Guest Sinistersky
Unfortunately using the .iso will not slow battery drain when using 3g/wifi. At least, it didn't for me!

yup...better codding will ;)

Guest mightymouse1045

ok all done - there were a couple of things i did differently to get it working - but now i am in Android:

1. It's slow? Is that to be expected?

2. Device not recognised in Windows?!?

Update: Ok worked out you need to install the drivers from the SDK if you want to do anything in windows

3. WiFi not auto searching to find available - I had to manually add a connection - is that normal?

4. Is there any tips and tricks site for Android on Omnia 2 I can run through now i have it up and running?

5. How to root Froyo?

Update: Found Gscript that allows running shell scripts to run a root script, and also root explorer allows this also

6. Cannot import contacts from SIM card. In windows mobile i copied all the contacts to SIM and in Froyo i try and import but says there are no contacts?!?

Guest Nelson Neoh

I am just done with my installation 2 days ago. Hope my answer can help you:

It's speed is no difference with WinMo, if you install it on My Storage. It will feel slow when it is on the SD.

Update: Ok worked out you need to install the drivers from the SDK if you want to do anything in windows

err... Maybe you can share this with me?

I am yet to figure out how to get this SDK tough. :P

3. WiFi not auto searching to find available - I had to manually add a connection - is that normal?

Nope. To my case, it will search auto and list all available and their security type.

Usually it needs some time for the listing. Maybe you are facing slow speed, so it takes time too.

4. Is there any tips and tricks site for Android on Omnia 2 I can run through now i have it up and running?

Few experience from my trying, there are few software you must have:

a. CPU Tuner -- to keep your phone run longer life.

b. KeepScreen or Call Light -- to keep your phone stays on while making calls.

c. APN Manager -- for ease on-off for your Data Connection.

5. How to root Froyo?

Update: Found Gscript that allows running shell scripts to run a root script, and also root explorer allows this also

Good to know this. I am looking for this information too. Thanks. ;)

6. Cannot import contacts from SIM card. In windows mobile i copied all the contacts to SIM and in Froyo i try and import but says there are no contacts?!?

Suggest you import all to GContact then Sync back to phone. I am doing this, so it can sync all contact within WinMo-Outlook-GContact-Thunderbird. Same thing applies to my calendar too.

Guest Sinistersky

I've seem to hit a miracle lately... managed to have 3 days of 2g active...but it's in background...the screen is turned off but data is dlded automatically every 30 minutes...facebook is active and twitter aswell...if i turn on the screen with 2g active i can get 17 hours of data...by that i mean usage of "AndChat" and facebook chat...3g is still 5 hours though...

Guest mightymouse1045

Install LauncherPro (Free) it makes a big difference

Ok Update on this - I have the device recognised - 3 drivers 2 from Samsung and one from Google for the Android Composite ADB Interface.

The device is recognised but it does NOT appear as a removable drive in windows. I have heard other have this working ANY HELP here please?

This doesn't work for me at all - if it can't find anything it just disables itself. The only wifi i have here to test is with a PSK key - but in windows mobile it finds it no worries with Android no luck and then turns itself off. So I have just manually added it instead

Update: ok thanks for this - also launcherpro mentioned above and a good task killer as well.

New one is I am constantly getting The application google services framework (process com.google.process.gapps) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

Force Close

It's not the no first name and last name missing problem in contacts because i have no contacts.

Guest andre02

Hello,

I'm having a problem and need you guys help me, I'm using Froyo bundle V2 but when I open the folder "storage" closes the file manager. What should I do?

Thanks

Pt-br: Quando eu abro a pasta storage o file manager fecha derrepente e volta para a tela inicial. Por que está acontecendo isto? existe alguma solução?

Guest i8000usr

I wish the users and developers a good future with the i8000, I'll be i9100usr from now on. Thanks for all the help and support that people have put down here to make me get the most out of my i8000, which Samsung obviously did not. Almost 2 years was enough for WM6 and beta Android Eclair and Froyo

Guest drorcun
Hello,

I'm having a problem and need you guys help me, I'm using Froyo bundle V2 but when I open the folder "storage" closes the file manager. What should I do?

Thanks

Pt-br: Quando eu abro a pasta storage o file manager fecha derrepente e volta para a tela inicial. Por que está acontecendo isto? existe alguma solução?

+1

Guest joacomanino

hello!!

i´m having only one problem... the windows of the predictive text only shows coincidence with my contacs... there isnt any spanish dictionary loaded????

sorry for my english...

Guest Nelson Neoh

Install LauncherPro (Free) it makes a big difference

Ok Update on this - I have the device recognised - 3 drivers 2 from Samsung and one from Google for the Android Composite ADB Interface.

The device is recognised but it does NOT appear as a removable drive in windows. I have heard other have this working ANY HELP here please?

This doesn't work for me at all - if it can't find anything it just disables itself. The only wifi i have here to test is with a PSK key - but in windows mobile it finds it no worries with Android no luck and then turns itself off. So I have just manually added it instead

Update: ok thanks for this - also launcherpro mentioned above and a good task killer as well.

New one is I am constantly getting The application google services framework (process com.google.process.gapps) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

Force Close

It's not the no first name and last name missing problem in contacts because i have no contacts.

Am wondering which type of installation you have?

I installed through the <manual Ubuntu> method. Now what I missed is the desktop connection, root phone and can't install on SD.

Hello,

Thanks

see http://code.google.com/p/omnia2droid/issues/detail?id=142

and edit file /init.rc and change the line:

mount vfat /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /storage

whith line:

mount vfat /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /storage iocharset=utf8

Edited by xiho

Guest Sinistersky

ok so...the new angry birds rio update makes the whole background white...the whole figing background....

Edited by Sinistersky

Guest haze028

Hello, new to the omnia 2. Had a samsung galaxy which ran android nativly, so when that phone broke and I bought the Omnia 2 off a friend I was ecstatic to see I wouldn't need to give up on android.

I have successfully installed android and signed into my account and all seems good.. My only issue, which I'm hoping someone can help me with is that when I try to use the camera it tells me to insert an sd card before using the camera. Obviously there is one in there since I'm running android.

Does anyone know how I can get around this to use the camera?

EDIT: Also when I hook my phone to pc with usb, it is not detected, thus I cannot copy any files (ie. music) to the phone

Please help!! Thanks in advance ;)

Edited by haze028

Guest Sinistersky
Hello, new to the omnia 2. Had a samsung galaxy which ran android nativly, so when that phone broke and I bought the Omnia 2 off a friend I was ecstatic to see I wouldn't need to give up on android.

I have successfully installed android and signed into my account and all seems good.. My only issue, which I'm hoping someone can help me with is that when I try to use the camera it tells me to insert an sd card before using the camera. Obviously there is one in there since I'm running android.

Does anyone know how I can get around this to use the camera?

EDIT: Also when I hook my phone to pc with usb, it is not detected, thus I cannot copy any files (ie. music) to the phone

Please help!! Thanks in advance ;)

from galaxy to omnia 2 is a pretty big fall :P You have to use ADB to push/pull files on the device

Guest haze028
from galaxy to omnia 2 is a pretty big fall :P You have to use ADB to push/pull files on the device

Thanks for the quick response. Android actually runs alot smother on here than on my galaxy ;) I had the original galaxy that came out around the same time as the Omnia 2, and i was running a custom 2.3 rom as Samsung wouldn't support it past 1.6. Spec wise the omnia has a faster cpu and twice as much ram as my galaxy. If I can have android run smoothly and stable on the omnia i'll be quite happy.

What about using the camera? is that possible on the current build?

Guest Sinistersky
Thanks for the quick response. Android actually runs alot smother on here than on my galaxy ;) I had the original galaxy that came out around the same time as the Omnia 2, and i was running a custom 2.3 rom as Samsung wouldn't support it past 1.6. Spec wise the omnia has a faster cpu and twice as much ram as my galaxy. If I can have android run smoothly and stable on the omnia i'll be quite happy.

What about using the camera? is that possible on the current build?

yes, of course...it works great... i don't know why it wont work for you