[Rom] The Official Rogers and Fido Roms (any phone)

Guest alan090

Guest split2th
When you get your phone, after getting Malez recovery installed, the first thing you should do is a Nandroid backup in the backup/recover menu of the recovery console...

Save that file very preciously.

IT IS THE #1 MISTAKE/OMISSION by new rooters

Everything you need is in the pinned topics of the Modaco Liquid thread

Aside from Vanilla Froyo the official ROM will not offer much, you could upgrade your bin with the latest for Liquid E

http://android.modaco.com/content/acer-liq...act-collection/

Use Acer Flasher Tool 3.1......and not 3.7 to flash bin (this tool only used to flash bins(with phone normal on)) Flash all ROMs from Malez recovery

or next to latest, most ROMs only like a certain bin, and eclair and froyo rom-bins have to be respected

If you flash the rom on this page it wont work, you need to upgrade bin to a froyo one

Once you have a froyo bin I would Flash LCR-F 1.1.2 (or keep original eclair bin and flash LCR-E 1.8.2(that can be overclocked with set CPU ))

http://lcr-team.org/v1/index.php?site=files&cat=1

http://code.google.com/p/acer-liquid-commu...rom-bugtracker/

Welcome, keep reading, and good luck

keep asking questions

Thanks Chewy. When you're referring to bin I'm assuming your mean official roms? And when you say rom, are you saying custom rom? I've heard these terms thrown around pretty loosely in forums. It's like I have to decode their meaning everytime I hear them. What do you mean by "most ROMs only like a certain bin, and eclair and froyo rom-bins have to be respected"? Also if I flash the rom on this page, what won't work? Malez? Thanks for these suggestions I probably will try both LCR-F 1.1.2 And LCR-E 1.8.2 (Because I really want to try overclocking this device), but I am also interested in getting this rom working Because I believe it will be a very polished and "lite" version of froyo. I see that people are working on overclocking 2.2. I hope they are successful. Do you think the benefits of running 2.2 are more than the benifits of overclocking 2.1? Malez, working or not will be the deciding factor on whether or not I use this "rogers lite" rom.

Hey, I'm new to this site and to rooting/flashing my liquid - e. I got directed here by google looking for the official Rogers 2.1 rom. I upgraded to 2.2 with the official rogers rom and now my bluetooth doesn't work (apparently a common problem...). So I've been trying to revert to 2.1 but the roms appear to have vanished from the face of the planet. Does anyone know how i can find them? Or I was thinking of using the LCR but i can't seem to find a user friendly guide that explains how to install it. There seems to be a lot of assuming i know anything about this stuff when i read the how-tos. They're not very clear. I'm pretty good at this kind of stuff but I can't seem to get any clear step by step instructions for a noob. Anyone who can help save me from getting a ticket since i can't use hands free in my car anymore will have my eternal gratitude.

I will be picking up a new device in a couple days. the first thing I'll be doing is making a nandroid backup of the original rom. You are more than welcome to it. Also have you done a hard reset? Good idea after an upgrade. After that you could try reinstalling. I'm assuming that you will not have root access on your phone because you used the official rogers acer release? Or did you use the rogers lite version from here? until someone figures that one out You're kinda stuck. so trying another rom might be out of the question.

Edited by split2th

Guest split2th
Hey, I'm new to this site and to rooting/flashing my liquid - e. I got directed here by google looking for the official Rogers 2.1 rom. I upgraded to 2.2 with the official rogers rom and now my bluetooth doesn't work (apparently a common problem...). So I've been trying to revert to 2.1 but the roms appear to have vanished from the face of the planet. Does anyone know how i can find them? Or I was thinking of using the LCR but i can't seem to find a user friendly guide that explains how to install it. There seems to be a lot of assuming i know anything about this stuff when i read the how-tos. They're not very clear. I'm pretty good at this kind of stuff but I can't seem to get any clear step by step instructions for a noob. Anyone who can help save me from getting a ticket since i can't use hands free in my car anymore will have my eternal gratitude.

BTW I've been told on this thread that Malez is not working with the "rogers lite" release. Harness?

Edited by split2th

Guest skaffer
http://code.google.com/p/acer-liquid-malez...ki/howToInstall

You must be using Acer tool 3.7 not 3.1

For bin use the 3.1 tool

and to install Malez recovery use the .exe file he provides

Original poster should 'fix' tittle or OP to direct people to Acer Canada link for 'official update to 2.2 from 2.1(for those without Malez recovery, and to explain to use acer tool for that) and to explain that the ROM's in OP are to be used with 1) Malez recovery 2)only for phones that allready have Froyo bin

good luck keep reading and ask questions

i'm having troubles installing froyo 2.2, i already have malez installed

Guest Chewy11

As the tittle of this thread says(any phone) these 3 ROMs have been modded by alan090 to work on Liquid and Liquid E devices.

The simlock issue is about non rogers customer. non stock ROM start point for the official upgrade dont work either

The official upgrade is available in another thread, or on Acer Canada's site.

I believe you need stock recovery(as opposed to Malez's custom recovery) and stock ROM to use the quirky rogers update process.

If your in Canada and buying the Liquid E from Rogers then that device is already simlocked to rogers.

Unlocking your device is a completely different issue. Google it. There are Canadian solutions that work easily.

Simply but the .bin is a file you flash with acer tool 3.1(3.7 is ok to use for true official upgrade). And bin contains the bios, battery and radio firmware ,, to use PC talk.

ROMs are the windoze os part of the system

There is no real standard language for these terms, from phone to phone, and each community tweaks them again.

Malez made the custom recovery for our liquids to allow backup, root and easy flashing of ROMs.

Every time you flash a .bin you have to re install Malez's custom recovery and then reroot.

After flashing a non official bin(save the one your phone came with or the recent rogers 2.2 relase) you will be running an Acer 'LEAK'...(at this point if you nandroid backup then you can get back to clean start of that bin-rom combo) the ROMs associated with bin leaks are not available to flash with custom recovery, making this the second most important backup.

All the ROMs you see in this Forum Thread are built to be flashed with Malez custom recovery and are 'custom ROM's'.

These custom ROM's have been built from these leaks(or ported from other devices) and therefore to have best possible phone operation, one must read developers post to see which leak they started from. Sometimes the symptoms are minor, sometimes your device wont boot. Currently I am running latest bin< 4.002.08_EMEA-GEN1_05.01.05>with LCR-F1.1.2 and it runs Ok for me but I know that optimally its the next to latest bin <4.504b.00_EMEA-GEN1_05.01.05> for that ROM.

Malez made the recovery and is also part of the Liquid Community ROM team.

He is usually very active/helpfull on these forums

4.504b.00_EMEA-GEN1_05.01.05= the first part is the ROM buid number the second is the region code and the last series of number is the firmware version.

Hope this helps, I'm no expert but i have been lurking here and on XDA for 3 months...

Edited by Chewy11

Guest komienski
using the light version. problems with wifi tethering, which worked fine when i was using a leak.

oops nvmnd its working

Edited by komienski

Guest Chewy11
i'm having troubles installing froyo 2.2, i already have malez installed

Malez has to be reinstalled after each bin flash

are you drivers set up?

witch 2.2 are you trying to flash

if you're on 2.1(stock, rooted or not, or with or without custom recovery) you need to update to a froyo bin with acer tool (3.1)

Then you'll be on stock ROM rogers built theirs from a month ago(close to it anyway)...then do Nandroid after installing custom recovery by Malez again.

After rooting again you can then install any ROM you like

Guest split2th
As the tittle of this thread says(any phone) these 3 ROMs have been modded by alan090 to work on Liquid and Liquid E devices.

The simlock issue is about non rogers customer. non stock ROM start point for the official upgrade dont work either

The official upgrade is available in another thread, or on Acer Canada's site.

I believe you need stock recovery(as opposed to Malez's custom recovery) and stock ROM to use the quirky rogers update process.

If your in Canada and buying the Liquid E from Rogers then that device is already simlocked to rogers.

Unlocking your device is a completely different issue. Google it. There are Canadian solutions that work easily.

Simply but the .bin is a file you flash with acer tool 3.1(3.7 is ok to use for true official upgrade). And bin contains the bios, battery and radio firmware ,, to use PC talk.

ROMs are the windoze os part of the system

There is no real standard language for these terms, from phone to phone, and each community tweaks them again.

Malez made the custom recovery for our liquids to allow backup, root and easy flashing of ROMs.

Every time you flash a .bin you have to re install Malez's custom recovery and then reroot.

After flashing a non official bin(save the one your phone came with or the recent rogers 2.2 relase) you will be running an Acer 'LEAK'...(at this point if you nandroid backup then you can get back to clean start of that bin-rom combo) the ROMs associated with bin leaks are not available to flash with custom recovery, making this the second most important backup.

All the ROMs you see in this Forum Thread are built to be flashed with Malez custom recovery and are 'custom ROM's'.

These custom ROM's have been built from these leaks(or ported from other devices) and therefore to have best possible phone operation, one must read developers post to see which leak they started from. Sometimes the symptoms are minor, sometimes your device wont boot. Currently I am running latest bin< 4.002.08_EMEA-GEN1_05.01.05>with LCR-F1.1.2 and it runs Ok for me but I know that optimally its the next to latest bin <4.504b.00_EMEA-GEN1_05.01.05> for that ROM.

Malez made the recovery and is also part of the Liquid Community ROM team.

He is usually very active/helpfull on these forums

4.504b.00_EMEA-GEN1_05.01.05= the first part is the ROM buid number the second is the region code and the last series of number is the firmware version.

Hope this helps, I'm no expert but i have been lurking here and on XDA for 3 months...

Wow. Thanks man. You just cleared up a ton for me. So this is what I will do.

1. Use Malez Recovery to do a backup of original.

2. Use acer flash tool 3.1 to flash bin. (4.002.08_EMEA-GEN1_05.01.05_bin)

3. Reinstall Malez Recovery again.

4. Flash rom "rogers lite" which is based on (4.001.08.P.ROG)

How does this bin/rom combo look?

Where can I find Acer flash tool 3.1? I checked the sticky's, and no luck.

Thanks again Chewy...

Guest Dario93
Wow. Thanks man. You just cleared up a ton for me. So this is what I will do.

1. Use Malez Recovery to do a backup of original.

2. Use acer flash tool 3.1 to flash bin. (4.002.08_EMEA-GEN1_05.01.05_bin)

3. Reinstall Malez Recovery again.

4. Flash rom "rogers lite" which is based on (4.001.08.P.ROG)

How does this bin/rom combo look?

Where can I find Acer flash tool 3.1? I checked the sticky's, and no luck.

Thanks again Chewy...

Here it is : http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EF2QNANO B)

Guest split2th
# begin build properties

# autogenerated by buildinfo.sh

ro.build.id=MASTER

ro.build.display.id=4.001.08_PA_ROG - HE

ro.build.version.incremental=1286248125

ro.build.version.sdk=8

ro.build.version.codename=REL

ro.build.version.release=2.2

ro.build.date=Tue Oct 5 11:13:26 CST 2010

ro.build.date.utc=1286248406

ro.build.type=user

ro.build.user=minnie

ro.build.host=build1

ro.build.tags=release-keys

ro.product.model=Acer Liquid

ro.product.brand=acer

ro.product.name=a1_rogers

ro.product.device=a1

ro.product.board=salsa

ro.product.cpu.abi=armeabi-v7a

ro.product.cpu.abi2=armeabi

ro.product.manufacturer=Acer

ro.product.locale.language=en

ro.product.locale.region=US

Interesting. The build date for the fido relese is Oct 30.

ro.build.date=Sat Oct 30 22:39:02 CST 2010

Same as the newest leak. What does this mean? I guess since I'm with fido Might as well use newest leak, with fido rom. That is if someone can root it for me. Or someone gets Malez working.

Edited by split2th

Guest Harness
Interesting. The build date for the fido relese is Oct 30.

ro.build.date=Sat Oct 30 22:39:02 CST 2010

Same as the newest leak. What does this mean? I guess since I'm with fido Might as well use newest leak, with fido rom. That is if someone can root it for me. Or someone gets Malez working.

http://android.modaco.com/content/acer-liq...z-recovery-fix/

Malez is working.

Guest xaueious

Sorry for barging in, but Malez actually didn't work? Or are people just failing to set their phones to debugging mode?

Or did the recovery image itself have issues?

Edited by xaueious

Guest Harness
Sorry for barging in, but Malez actually didn't work? Or are people just failing to set their phones to debugging mode?

Malez didn't work. Moreover, Acer/Rogers/etc stopped it from working.

I had to edit the boot.img and get everything set and ready to go.

Guest xaueious

Hm... Maybe you can get this info up in a new thread, because I'm a little confused and this info is new to me...

You had to kernel swap the recovery? Or was debugging mode disabled? What was the problem?

Edit: I have a Rogers Acer Liquid E as well and if I get a replacement phone I'd need the new instructions

Edited by xaueious

Guest JoebooLovesU

Regarding the bluetooth not working since upgrade to official rogers froyo from the acer website. A clean boot/factory reset fixed the issue. Thanks guys.

Now, can this phone be rooted now that it's running 2.2? or is that still being worked on? Thanks again and sorry if this is redundant.

Guest Harness
Regarding the bluetooth not working since upgrade to official rogers froyo from the acer website. A clean boot/factory reset fixed the issue. Thanks guys.

Now, can this phone be rooted now that it's running 2.2? or is that still being worked on? Thanks again and sorry if this is redundant.

See my post further up in the thread. Install Malez recovery using that guide; root via method 1.1, et voila.

Guest komienski

hey. Still on the light version of this rom. couple questions

1. is there a way to install malez?

2. is there a way to have stock froyo rather than launcher pro and adw?

Guest split2th
hey. Still on the light version of this rom. couple questions

1. is there a way to install malez?

2. is there a way to have stock froyo rather than launcher pro and adw?

Harness has a fix for malez in this forum. I've been using it and it works great. If you want to use the froyo ui just install the stock fido or rogers rom from this thread. Been using the fido one myself and tweaking it to my liking.

Guest komienski
Harness has a fix for malez in this forum. I've been using it and it works great. If you want to use the froyo ui just install the stock fido or rogers rom from this thread. Been using the fido one myself and tweaking it to my liking.

how does the fido froyo ui differ from adw or launcher pro?

Guest split2th
how does the fido froyo ui differ from adw or launcher pro?

I've only used froyo UI. I don't like the idea of redundant software on my phone. eg. Adw, Launcher pro, Acer breeze. I can tell you one thing about stock froyo. It's most likely the fastest. But probably the least customizable out of all. To be honest I don't need any more Home screen setting I've been able to tweak to my liking. Here's a pic of my home screen.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/ZnTNv...feat=directlink

Edited by split2th

Guest sigsegv0x0b

When using Rogers-Lite rom and attemping to install busybox it runs out of space. Well, with rogers-lite rom the system partition once mounted has zero free space available to busybox binary out of the malez recovery can't be copied into /system. Is this normal? I am fairly proficient with linux but never really played with android before. Is there a safe way to increase size of /system partition or need to flash a new rom that has a "bigger" system.img with free space available?

Guest sigsegv0x0b
When using Rogers-Lite rom and attemping to install busybox it runs out of space. Well, with rogers-lite rom the system partition once mounted has zero free space available to busybox binary out of the malez recovery can't be copied into /system. Is this normal? I am fairly proficient with linux but never really played with android before. Is there a safe way to increase size of /system partition or need to flash a new rom that has a "bigger" system.img with free space available?

Ok i can't get wifi to work. It seems to be connecting but can't update the GUI with info. It seems that there should be a binary called /system/bin/setprop (and getprop) that lets unix backend stuff set and get properties but it's not in the ROM? Anyone know why it's not there and how to find it? I will just copy it in place and go on from there.

Guest sigsegv0x0b
Ok i can't get wifi to work. It seems to be connecting but can't update the GUI with info. It seems that there should be a binary called /system/bin/setprop (and getprop) that lets unix backend stuff set and get properties but it's not in the ROM? Anyone know why it's not there and how to find it? I will just copy it in place and go on from there.

Ok... these files are symlinks to a binary in /system/bin/toolbox

so to restore them

# cd /system/bin/

# ln -s toolbox setprop

# ln -s toolbox getprop

After which dhcpcd will be able to execute it's hooks and set properties to notify the GUI that DHCP exchange finished.

Whomever is cooking roms probably needs to make sure these are there.

Edited by sigsegv0x0b