CM6.1-Pulse0.40 Chinese mod - installation instructions

Guest twrock

Version 0.2 of the main rom and gapps released. Please see the first post for download links.

Beta version 0.3c of the main rom and gapps are available for download:

TWeak0.3c-CM61-pulse.zip

TWeak0.3c-gapps.zip

Please let me know if there are any new bugs. After I have run it for a couple of days, and have no problems, I'll update the first post.

With the default installation (at 614mhz):

Linpack 4.485

Neocore: 26.8

Changelog (cf. v.0.2):

Added libsurfaceflinger_client.so to /system/lib/

Updated the Market app (/system)

Updated Twitter app (/data)

Added Secret Phone Settings to /data

Moved Touchpal to /data

Enabled JIT by default

Set Heap size to 24m by default

Set Compcache to 18 by default

Edit: The 0.3c gapps file was replaced 23:40 Taiwan time to fix the Touchpal problem.

Edited by twrock

Beta version 0.3xLM of the main rom and 0.3x of gapps are available for download:

TWeak0.3xLM-CM61-pulse.zip

TWeak0.3x-gapps.zip

Use DT Apps2SD from the first post.

See the first post for installation instructions.

This rom is now identical to the "basic" rom I made. The only difference is I have removed the Cyanogenmod boot animation and added HanvonCalla IME.

Please let me know if there are any new bugs. I really do want to hear feedback from anyone who tests it.

Changelog (cf. v.0.2; some changes are in the basic rom and others are in the gapps):

added libsurfaceflinger_client.so to /system/lib/ (hopefully to fix some video issues)

opengles version update to 65537 (for some graphics improvement)

Updated Market to 2.2.6 in /system

dalvik.vm.execution-mode=int:jit (JIT is enabled by default)

dalvik.vm.heapsize=24m

ro.compcache.default=18

added Secret Phone Settings to /data (just uninstall if you don't want the stuff in /data)

Updated Twitter in /data

Updated YouTube in /data

Moved GenieWidget to /data

Moved VoiceSearch to /data

Replaced the boot.img with the Starkos 691mhz boot.img as modified by AntonioPT to include the lowmem killer numbers suggested by Toti

Edited by twrock

Announcement:

2011 02 24 update available to TWeak0.3.2-CM61-pulse.zip and TWeak0.3.2-gapps.zip.

See the first post for download links, instructions and changelog.

Guest hepatitis

Sorry. I can't download TWeak0.3.2-CM61-pulse.zip and TWeak0.3.2-gapps.zip. can u post again please? i would like to try U8220+. thx

Guest twrock
Sorry. I can't download TWeak0.3.2-CM61-pulse.zip and TWeak0.3.2-gapps.zip. can u post again please? i would like to try U8220+. thx

Did you click on the links in the first post? I just tried them again, and they are correct.

Guest hepatitis

thank you . it is work again. also i have completed and installed the rom into U8220+. thank you.

Edited by hepatitis

Guest Berthur

Hi!

I love your work cause it the best 2.2 Android on Pulse yet.

But I have a problem. I don't like the built-in sms app cause it doesn't show remaining characters number and so on. I found the 2.1 version much better.

Is there a way to get that on this one or is there another that can be used?

thanks

Guest twrock
Hi!

I love your work cause it the best 2.2 Android on Pulse yet.

But I have a problem. I don't like the built-in sms app cause it doesn't show remaining characters number and so on. I found the 2.1 version much better.

Is there a way to get that on this one or is there another that can be used?

thanks

Two possibilities come to mind.

1. Find a replacement on the Market that works the way you want it to.

2. If you know of a modified rom that had the version you want, open that rom's zip file and find the SMS app in /system/app. Copy it to you SD card and try to install it. Note: sometimes this kind of copying does not work at all because there are other files/apps that must also be installed for that application to function.

Since I don't seem to experience the issue you refer to, I'm not even sure what it is that you are describing. So I don't know if my suggestions are helpful or not.

Guest Berthur

Thanks!

Is it the MMS.app that needs to be change?

I miss the remaining character count to 160, so i know when i will send 2 sms instead of one.

Edited by Berthur

Guest hepatitis
Thanks!

Is it the MMS.app that needs to be change?

I miss the remaining character count to 160, so i know when i will send 2 sms instead of one.

Try to "whatsapp" this app. it is work in sms function in your contact list.

Guest twrock

There is a patch for the Camera app bug created by anegin. Please see the first post for details. This does not fix all camera apps; it is only a patch for the stock camera app.

Download: Camera app patch by anegin.

Guest James Kei

Frist of all, I would like to thank you for posting all upgrade ROM version. I installed, so far working good.

1. One of my bigger wish to upgrade to Android 2.21 is to be able to share my 3G network through wifi, so my Android PAD can use be online on travel.

I saw my friend 2.21 phone has setup allow to do this share AP, and works very well.

Where can I find this setup setting in this ROM version upgrade ?

2. after I register market & facebook, all working fine. I then start installing apps from market. But no matter which apps, such as Yahoo mail or root explorer, each time complete download and installing .......

It restart.... after that, nothing installed. I try to switch off JIT, still doing the same ....

Any idea, what did done wrong ?

thanks

James

Edited by James Kei

Guest twrock
Frist of all, I would like to thank you for posting all upgrade ROM version. I installed, so far working good.

1. One of my bigger wish to upgrade to Android 2.21 is to be able to share my 3G network through wifi, so my Android PAD can use be online on travel.

I saw my friend 2.21 phone has setup allow to do this share AP, and works very well.

Where can I find this setup setting in this ROM version upgrade ?

2. after I register market & facebook, all working fine. I then start installing apps from market. But no matter which apps, such as Yahoo mail or root explorer, each time complete download and installing .......

It restart.... after that, nothing installed. I try to switch off JIT, still doing the same ....

Any idea, what did done wrong ?

thanks

James

1. try Barnacle Wifi Tether from the market; that is what I use

2. I believe that this problem is a result of a non-standard installation. Other people who have had this problem have done something other than what the instructions said to do. Problems with the Market after installation are usually because the amount of files that were installed to the /system partition are too large in size and it has become full.

Answer these questions in your mind: Did you use the old UK official 2.1 update as your starting rom? Did you do a full system/data wipe? Did you use the gapps I suggested? Did you follow every step of the installation guide?

I hope that helps.

Guest James Kei
1. try Barnacle Wifi Tether from the market; that is what I use

2. I believe that this problem is a result of a non-standard installation. Other people who have had this problem have done something other than what the instructions said to do. Problems with the Market after installation are usually because the amount of files that were installed to the /system partition are too large in size and it has become full.

Answer these questions in your mind: Did you use the old UK official 2.1 update as your starting rom? Did you do a full system/data wipe? Did you use the gapps I suggested? Did you follow every step of the installation guide?

I hope that helps.

My U8200 pluse new purchase HK PCCW version, come with 2.1 Chinese ROM.

I did follow 100% your installation instruction, boot from recovery, wipe full system/data for sure.

After few try, loaded with English version basic CM61-Pulse0.40 rom without chinese handwriting, problem seems resolve (not 100%), I have to install DarkTremor Apps2SD with mSD custom 512 ext3 + swap 256, in order to getting reboot during installation stable down. It still does it, but not all apps.

I did try Barnacle Wifi Tether & wifi Tether from the market too. No luck.

I know native Android 2.2 come with builtin share AP function(my wife SamSung Galexy Ace has it), I guess this ROM version not.

After upgrade from 2.1 -> 2.2.1, I do feel small speed step up, very litte, perhaps just feeling, not sure true speed. At lease, the native App2SD works.

Apart from random reboot during installation some apps, I am good with this phone, I believe that is as far as this slow device goes. The over clock 710 don't give me speed gain, because I still play Angry Birds as that slow, not smooth. As my wife old phone X10 mini has same clock speed (~500/600), which play angry birds very smooth, maybe due to graph driver.

Last question, Does Adobe flash work? will try out soon.

thanks for the good works, make impossible happen.

cheers

James

Edited by James Kei

Guest twrock

I did follow 100% your installation instruction, boot from recovery, wipe full system/data for sure.

After few try, loaded with English version basic CM61-Pulse0.40 rom without chinese handwriting, problem seems resolve (not 100%), I have to install DarkTremor Apps2SD with mSD custom 512 ext3 + swap 256, in order to getting reboot during installation stable down. It still does it, but not all apps.

I know native Android 2.2 come with builtin share AP function(my wife SamSung Galexy Ace has it), I guess this ROM version not.

After upgrade from 2.1 -> 2.2.1, I do feel small speed step up, very litte, perhaps just feeling, not sure true speed. At lease, the native App2SD works.

Apart from random reboot during installation some apps, I am good with this phone, I believe that is as far as this slow device goes. The over clock 710 don't give me speed gain, because I still play Angry Birds as that slow, not smooth. As my wife old phone X10 mini has same clock speed (~500/600), which play angry birds very smooth, maybe due to graph driver.

cheers

James

Thanks for the feedback and the details. More details really help.

I wish more people would give feedback on this rom. I really don't have a good feel for how it is working for people without more feedback.

Up to now, there has been 171 downloads of this rom, so if there is a problem, I hope more people will report it. Unless they report it, or unless I experience it myself, I'm not able to correct it. So I appreciate your feedback.

If I have some more time this weekend, I will try to go back to the start and try to find out if this is a "universal" problem, or just a problem with HK PCCW phone. Do you have any more information from other forums (especially Chinese forums) on how this rom is working for HK people?

cheers

James

First of all, thanks for twrock's continuing effort in fine tuning this mod. :(

My phone came from HK PCCW also (PCCW U Android. I found that yours came with 2.1 chinese ROM, it should be the U Plus / Mini one that have more memory)

I am using twrock's chinese mod since Dec 2010 and just installed the latest version (0.3.2), playing with it for about 30 mins with 10+ apps installed, no problem in receiving call, camera working with multiple shot, and the script for formatting system works (I have not format the system myself)

Will take a look and try the "set MAC address" later :(

Guest James Kei

My phone came from HK PCCW also (PCCW U Android. I found that yours came with 2.1 chinese ROM, it should be the U Plus / Mini one that have more memory)

I am using twrock's Chinese mod since Dec 2010 and just installed the latest version (0.3.2), playing with it for about 30 mins with 10+ apps installed, no problem in receiving call, camera working with multiple shot, and the script for formatting system works (I have not format the system myself)

BY THE WAY, I do not find MAC address issues with my upgrade U plus, I can able to get on PCCW 3G network access without issues. Certainly WIFI also working too.

Yes, It works for my U plus too. This is very good ROM update 2.2.1 (without AP share function). Seems petty much stable..... ! excellent.

The only disadvantage of this phone is slow. Althrough I OC upto 710mHz, but still not able to run angry birds smoothly. Where my wife's old phone X10mini, run angry birds very smoothly. It also has CPU 600 mhz, also X10mini lastest ROM 2.1.1 from Sony, the kerneral support AP share wifi. So I installed Baracle wifi, it turn into a pocket mobile wifi AP device, not bad, infact, excellent. Given X10mini hacker already able to install Froyo Cyanogen 6.1 (petty much fully working) + Android 3.0 - HoneyComb testing on it way......

At the end, I decided to sale this U8220 for cash while it still has value for some, and go for SamSung Galexy SL / S II. :)

cheers

James

Edited by James Kei

Guest twrock
BY THE WAY, I do not find MAC address issues with my upgrade U plus, I can able to get on PCCW 3G network access without issues. Certainly WIFI also working too.

Yes, It works for my U plus too. This is very good ROM update 2.2.1 (without AP share function). Seems petty much stable..... ! excellent.

The only disadvantage of this phone is slow. Althrough I OC upto 710mHz, but still not able to run angry birds smoothly. Where my wife's old phone X10mini, run angry birds very smoothly. It also has CPU 600 mhz, also X10mini lastest ROM 2.1.1 from Sony, the kerneral support AP share wifi. So I installed Baracle wifi, it turn into a pocket mobile wifi AP device, not bad, infact, excellent. Given X10mini hacker already able to install Froyo Cyanogen 6.1 (petty much fully working) + Android 3.0 - HoneyComb testing on it way......

At the end, I decided to sale this U8220 for cash while it still has value for some, and go for SamSung Galexy SL / S II. :(

cheers

James

I'm still not quite sure why Barnacle Wifi Tether doesn't work for you, but maybe I'm still not understanding what you want. Did you click "Skip wpa_supplicant" in settings?

Regarding the OC speed, I can't even run my phone at the full 691mhz. It becomes completely unstable. And in the end, I am back to setting it at 528mhz to save some battery. Most of the time, even 614 is not necessary for me (I don't play games that require high graphics speed).

Cheers.

Guest James Kei
I'm still not quite sure why Barnacle Wifi Tether doesn't work for you, but maybe I'm still not understanding what you want. Did you click "Skip wpa_supplicant" in settings?

Regarding the OC speed, I can't even run my phone at the full 691mhz. It becomes completely unstable. And in the end, I am back to setting it at 528mhz to save some battery. Most of the time, even 614 is not necessary for me (I don't play games that require high graphics speed).

Cheers.

Did you click "Skip wpa_supplicant" in settings?

I am getting error when I start Barnacle, yes, I click skip wpa_supplicant. Is this the root cause ? :(

OC 710mHz, yes, I am very stable with OC 710mHz, maybe HK PCCW version of Plus has better hardware, which I believe it is.

Edited by James Kei

Guest twrock

I am using twrock's chinese mod since Dec 2010 and just installed the latest version (0.3.2), playing with it for about 30 mins with 10+ apps installed, no problem in receiving call, camera working with multiple shot, and the script for formatting system works (I have not format the system myself)

Thanks for that feedback.

So as far as you can tell, with a "standard" installation of this rom, everything is working fine for you? (Well, except for the known bugs.)

I will probably update this rom again when a newer version of anegin's DT Apps2SD GUI is released. But for now, people can just flash that separately.

Guest twrock
Did you click "Skip wpa_supplicant" in settings?

I am getting error when I start Barnacle, yes, I click skip wpa_supplicant. Is this the root cause ?

No, that is not the root cause. In order for me to use Barnacle, I must click that (not leave it unclicked).

Some bigger problem was happening with your install, but I do not know what that was. Sorry.

(BTW, this was posted using Barnacle, just to verify that everything is working.)

Guest James Kei
No, that is not the root cause. In order for me to use Barnacle, I must click that (not leave it unclicked).

Some bigger problem was happening with your install, but I do not know what that was. Sorry.

(BTW, this was posted using Barnacle, just to verify that everything is working.)

Some more detail feedback.

I flash your ROM 3 ~ 4 times, Chinese or without Chinese.

End up, each time, first flashed after clean from bootload. Phone load up. all works expect not able to install apps, from market or from SD card (reboot during installation, kind fast boot).

So find out a work around it, by flash App2SD package at 2nd boot, after boot up, it detect my SD partition, copy/erase apps from /data/apps - > SD ext3 partition.

Then installation of apps working now, believe somehow /data mount point has issues with 1st boot up.

Afterward, everything works. Even I remove SD card, all apps gone, I still able to install it back into phone /data/apps from markets.

Edited by James Kei

At the end, I decided to sale this U8220 for cash while it still has value for some, and go for SamSung Galexy SL / S II. :(

cheers

James

Yes, I find laggy in playing angry birds also. As a phone, it's already very good with the mod found here. Tablet with Honeycomb is what I want but will wait for more choice in HK.

I've no problem in using Wifi at home also, but not the PCCW wifi hotspots. As I am using the single device plan and MAC is what PCCW use to identify your device, so I can't get on PCCW wifi hotspots using this mod.