[GUIDE] Common Problems / Questions / FAQ

Guest StevenHarperUK

Guest StevenHarperUK
Many thanks indeed. You do recommend the 2.2 ROM, not the 2.1 ROM? I'm newbie in Android, former user of WM. I've tried to get some orientation in the ROMs from the forum threads, but I guess that's something that takes a while.

2.2 is so much better now.

The MoDaCo r12 is good

as is the Japanese Jellfish R9

and FLB-Froyo G2 R8a

any of them will make you wounder how you put up with 2.1 for so long.

Guest whatsupduck
how about:

i want an easy way to switch between the settings (eg. bluetooth, wifi, GPS)

but, i dont want to download an app

answer:

0x90's mod for jap jelly/ fibbles: (has the notification bar pulldown thingy)

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...-final-version/

this probably doesnt make sense, sorry about that :huh:

Hi not sure if this is the right thread but here i go. My orange san fran/zte blade's speaker has stopped working, i can no longer play music or go on loud speaker ect Its not blown.THe screen also has 2-6 dead pixels (can someone tell me of a app or a way to show dead/stuck pixels on my screen ?) The phone is always on silent now its only 2 months old and i brought it from argos and have the recipt.Can i take it back for repair/replacement/refund ? as this shouldn't of happened....

Lastly i do have sebs r8 rom on it will this be a issue for warrenty ect ? As i thought its perfectly legal to root/flash your phone ect ?

Any help is appreciated as i can't simply go out and buy a phone of similar quality. Thanks for your time i am really annoyed this has happened and just so you know i have unlocked it.

Thanks

Guest kunfayakoon

Hi Everyone,

I've bought myself and OSF (tft).

I used Paul's guide (

) to root the phone but when i flashed the bootloader and rebooted all that now comes up is the android screen and nothing else.

please can you advise me of what ive done wrong and how i can fix this?

thanks

Edited by kunfayakoon

Guest mikewessex

im new to this and need advice

i have the 2.2 rom kitchen thingy on my phone but it will not let me make calls 100% of the time

is it a rom problem , my problem or network?????

please help me

it makes the calls and stops them straight away it dont ring the other end

Guest shawnboy5

Hey guys,

I have recently installed the Jellyfish RLS9 on my newly bought OSF, it looks great so far but I have a few queries about loss of touch interface. I have wiped all data and used clockworks to install the zip file provided in this post.

Upon completion of installation, I rebooted the device and prompted the green android screen start up.

None of my touch interface works when the screen prompts "Touch the green man to start".

So I removed the battery and replace it in again, The touch interface works this time and I can continue on setup my phone.

However, after completing setting up my phone, I tried to reboot my phone again, but this time the touch interface just does not work at all, no matter how many times I remove the battery or rebooting.

Has anyone came across the same problem?

Your input will be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Guest BarryH

Got a bog standard SF as it came out of the box, I'd like to change to the latest ROM and unlock it, have to get away from Orange at all costs.

Is there a correct order I should do this, unlock first or new ROM first or doesn't it make any difference?

Guest moemitf

Hi guys,

I've flashed the latest Modaco ROM for my SF/Blade.

Has anyone had a problem with the hardware video decoder while playing mp4 video files?

If I play them with my regulare video app ò(or with rockplayer in hardware decoding mode) I see a green stripe on top of the video.

If i play it with rockplayer in software videodecoder mode I don't see it any more (but the video lags too much).

I don't know if it depends on the rom or maybe on some fault in the kernel.

thank you!

Steven

• 3 weeks later...
Guest SparkGlow

Hi,

I have flashed my Orange San Francisco with the FLB Froyo r10b custom ROM.

Using my GPRS/EDGE/3G, I am unable to use or connect the Google Apps such as Gmail, Youtube, Market, Navigation.

However, I am able to browse website, access gmail using the default browser with the 3G connection. Using the WiFi, I am able to connect to the Market, Gmail app but unable to connect to Youtube.

Is there a way to resolve this?

Thanks,

Guest StevenHarperUK
Hi,

I have flashed my Orange San Francisco with the FLB Froyo r10b custom ROM.

Using my GPRS/EDGE/3G, I am unable to use or connect the Google Apps such as Gmail, Youtube, Market, Navigation.

However, I am able to browse website, access gmail using the default browser with the 3G connection. Using the WiFi, I am able to connect to the Market, Gmail app but unable to connect to Youtube.

Is there a way to resolve this?

Thanks,

Did you wipe?

Guest StevenHarperUK

I want to know whet generation of phone I have [GEN1] or [GEN2]

There are now 2 Generations of the ZTE-BLADE device.

Each have a different style memory layout.

[GEN1] BLADES use the baseband of
0x20000000
and can use all of the ROMS made

[GEN2] BLADES use the baseband of
0x02600000

Trying to install a GEN1 ROM onto a GEN2 device will brick it.

GEN1 devices can be recovered with a TPT - we don't have a TPT for a GEN2 device (yet)

How to find out what BLADE you have (GEN1 or GEN2)

You need tom install this app
Ask Mr Pigfish

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.apedroid.pigfish

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...ask-mr-pigfish/

When you run the APP the first line will be

Mr.Pigfish says you have a G1 model

Guest njwatts

I tried to unlock my phone but the password that i entered did not work. Is there an alternative way to unlock the ZTE San francisco?

Any help would be greatlt appreciated!

Guest StevenHarperUK

I want to change the MAC Address on my Blade

If you have made a nandroid backup and used it to restore on more than one blade, then the MAC address will be identical on both.

This means that you will have problems when you try to make them join the Same Wifi Network

This thread shows you how to change it
http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...ess-on-a-blade/

/data/misc/wifi folder you have a file called
athSavedEeprom.bin

pull it out, use a hex editor to change one bit of the MAC written there, push it back, and restart the phone.

Guest StevenHarperUK

I set a BAD SSID in the Wifi Hotspot - now I cannot start Tethering

If you set a SSID on your hotspot to be too long (over 32 characters) or with non valid characters - then you make it impossible to start the Hotspot.

You MUST use ADB to edit the hotspot name manually

adb -d shell

sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db 'update secure set value="Fish" where name="wifi_ap_ssid"'[/code]

[/indent]

Is this the same for everyone else- in device manager when the phone is connected I see three entries each of which I must safely remove : USB mass storage device drive O, Android Composite ADB interface and Android ADB Interface. Just that it's a pain to have to safely remove each one when for most USB connected devices, it's just one to remove. I use windows xp. Presuming it is normal, is there any way to only have to safely remove the USB drive? Thanks.

Guest thanos8

Hi

how can i send a contact via bluetooth? when i press share i only have the choices of barcode scanner email and gmail

i tryied to do the same in htc wildfire and i had choices of email sms mms bluetooth

is there a way to have the same choices in blade too?

i have the stock rom from wind greece

Edited by thanos8

Guest StevenHarperUK
Hi

how can i send a contact via bluetooth? when i press share i only have the choices of barcode scanner email and gmail

i tryied to do the same in htc wildfire and i had choices of email sms mms bluetooth

is there a way to have the same choices in blade too?

i have the stock rom from wind greece

Does this entry cover you needs - first post

Bluetooth file Transfer doesn't work properly

I would like to propose a new item for the FAQ:

Q. How can I keep my apps and settings when I install a new ROM?

A. Before installing a new ROM you can use Titanium Backup to backup all apps you have installed. After the new ROM has been installed you can restore the apps plus their data (to keep your Angry Birds progress and scores, for example). The paid-for version of Titanium Backup allows you backup and then restore many/all apps with the batch command to save time reinstalling each app individually. In general, system settings should not be restored on a new ROM. Restoring them can undo the effect of wiping data/restoring to factory settings before you flashed the new ROM and you run the risk of incompatible settings causing forced closure of system apps or, even worse, random reboots of the phone. Contacts can be restored automatically (and safely) by syncing with your gmail account (settings->accounts & sync and turn on both sync options) - you need to do this in your old ROM so the data is in place before you install the new ROM. Many people have reported that SMSs can be restored safely between most ROMs with Titanium Backup, but other system settings, e.g. wireless access points, may cause problems that may require the ROM to be reflashed. In all cases you should always use Nandroid backup in Clockwork to save the state and settings of your previous ROM which will easily allow you to return to a working state of your previous ROM in case things go wrong.

Guest sinan90

On the OP it says for installing a larger card with no A2SD it's fairly simple. Are the same instructions applicable if you do use A2SD?

Guest StevenHarperUK
On the OP it says for installing a larger card with no A2SD it's fairly simple. Are the same instructions applicable if you do use A2SD?

Format new CARD

EXT partition FIRST (500MB?)

FAT32 Next

Mount both on OLD and NEW

COPY BOTH across (dont forget hidden files)

Make sure permissions on EXT2 drive are same

Swap

Guest StevenHarperUK
I would like to propose a new item for the FAQ:

Q. How can I keep my apps and settings when I install a new ROM?

A. Before installing a new ROM you can use Titanium Backup to backup all apps you have installed. After the new ROM has been installed you can restore the apps plus their data (to keep your Angry Birds progress and scores, for example). The paid-for version of Titanium Backup allows you backup and then restore many/all apps with the batch command to save time reinstalling each app individually. In general, system settings should not be restored on a new ROM. Restoring them can undo the effect of wiping data/restoring to factory settings before you flashed the new ROM and you run the risk of incompatible settings causing forced closure of system apps or, even worse, random reboots of the phone. Contacts can be restored automatically (and safely) by syncing with your gmail account (settings->accounts & sync and turn on both sync options) - you need to do this in your old ROM so the data is in place before you install the new ROM. Many people have reported that SMSs can be restored safely between most ROMs with Titanium Backup, but other system settings, e.g. wireless access points, may cause problems that may require the ROM to be reflashed. In all cases you should always use Nandroid backup in Clockwork to save the state and settings of your previous ROM which will easily allow you to return to a working state of your previous ROM in case things go wrong.

Thats great - adding it

Guest sinan90
Format new CARD

EXT partition FIRST (500MB?)

FAT32 Next

Mount both on OLD and NEW

COPY BOTH across (dont forget hidden files)

Make sure permissions on EXT2 drive are same

Swap

Cheers, all worked out without a hitch.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Banner

Is anyone else having a problem with chargers?

I have 2 car chargers that worked fine with phone but have now stopped working...

BUT...

They both work with my wifes HTC Desire Z!!!

Is there a fix for this?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Mushroom_Lord

Is it possible to check if you are a b05/b08/b10 or whatever AFTER flashing a custom ROM and/or afer updating via wbaw's TPT to Gen2?

Because most people don't check when they get their devices as it is pretty irrelevant, but it would be useful if we could check out our hardware builds again :P