Mobile Broadband dongles

Guest dukla2000

Guest expat2000
I think you need to disable CD-rom booting from HyperTerminal by command "AT^U2DIAG=0" and maybe remove sd card.

If you don't know where to have HyperTerminal I can share it for you with PM

Hi

Can anyone tell me how to determine what the COM port is for the 3g dongle, I have hyperterminal installed but without the com port cannot disable the autorun functionality. I have looked in device manager but can't see where it is. Have tried on both Vista and XP.

Many thanks

Stuart

Spent 2 hours trying this out - only to not read the large print :huh:

Finally a reason to upgrade to 1.09! I knew there was a reason not to chuck that old 3-mobile E220, hehe - coupled with my £5 a month t-Mobile 3GB a month "Android" allowance this'll be sweet.

For those interested I've found a tool that used to be hosted on mobilebroadbandrocks that disables the virtual CD:

tool_PortSwitch.exe

I know it works on the E220, I _think_ it works on other dongles. Don't quote me on that.

If you haven't already done so - the E220 can be unlocked pretty easily. Also while we're at it - be sure to update your firmware to support 7.2Mbps HSDPA if you haven't done it already.

Edited by yabbas

Guest 67Mustang
Spent 2 hours trying this out - only to not read the large print :huh:

Finally a reason to upgrade to 1.09! I knew there was a reason not to chuck that old 3-mobile E220, hehe - coupled with my £5 a month t-Mobile 3GB a month "Android" allowance this'll be sweet.

For those interested I've found a tool that used to be hosted on mobilebroadbandrocks that disables the virtual CD:

tool_PortSwitch.exe

I know it works on the E220, I _think_ it works on other dongles. Don't quote me on that.

If you haven't already done so - the E220 can be unlocked pretty easily. Also while we're at it - be sure to update your firmware to support 7.2Mbps HSDPA if you haven't done it already.

I picked up an E220 (currently locked to 3 network) from eBay a few days ago (along with a 3GB data SIM valid for 90 days on the 3 network for what seems like a bargain £6.99) and am planning to try connecting it to my Vega shortly. As noted in the previous post, I also want to upgrade the firmware to allow 7.2Mbps HSDPA connection (any suggestions where to download the best firmware that has been proven to work with an E220?), unlock it for use on any mobile network (several guides online that seem straighfroward enough) and then disable the virtual CD (will give the tool noted above a try) before following the very helpful instructions on this thread to connect it to the Vega.

Does it makes any difference which order I do these? Intuitively it makes sense to do it in the order noted above (i.e. update firmware first, then unlock and then disable CD), but let me know if this order could cause any problems in getting it connected to the Vega.

Also, to hopefully answer the previous post on determining the COM port, I have copied the text below from an online guide to using HyperTerminal:

'Sometimes there will have more than one COM port in the Connect using combo box. To know which COM port is used by your mobile phone or GSM/GPRS modem, follow the procedure below:

In Windows 98:

Go to Control Panel -> Modem. Then click the Diagnostics tab. In the list box, you can see which COM port the mobile phone or GSM/GPRS modem is connected to.

In Windows 2000 and Windows XP:

Go to Control Panel -> Phone and Modem Options. Then click the Modems tab. In the list box, you can see which COM port the mobile phone or GSM/GPRS modem is connected to.'

I also just wanted to add my thanks to the people who have no doubt spent several frustrating hours figuring out how to get mobile dongles to work on the Vega (always good to know that you can't brick it!). This forum alone makes owning a Vega worthwhile and the new developments/ tips that appear on a daily basis never fail to impress!

Can anyone describe in more details how to get 3G working on V1.09? I can't get the USB-Host R3 to work, it reboots, but when I plugin my 3G-Stick the screen freezes and need to reboot ;(

I picked up an E220 (currently locked to 3 network) from eBay a few days ago (along with a 3GB data SIM valid for 90 days on the 3 network for what seems like a bargain £6.99) and am planning to try connecting it to my Vega shortly. As noted in the previous post, I also want to upgrade the firmware to allow 7.2Mbps HSDPA connection (any suggestions where to download the best firmware that has been proven to work with an E220?), unlock it for use on any mobile network (several guides online that seem straighfroward enough) and then disable the virtual CD (will give the tool noted above a try) before following the very helpful instructions on this thread to connect it to the Vega.

Does it makes any difference which order I do these? Intuitively it makes sense to do it in the order noted above (i.e. update firmware first, then unlock and then disable CD), but let me know if this order could cause any problems in getting it connected to the Vega.

Also, to hopefully answer the previous post on determining the COM port, I have copied the text below from an online guide to using HyperTerminal:

'Sometimes there will have more than one COM port in the Connect using combo box. To know which COM port is used by your mobile phone or GSM/GPRS modem, follow the procedure below:

In Windows 98:

Go to Control Panel -> Modem. Then click the Diagnostics tab. In the list box, you can see which COM port the mobile phone or GSM/GPRS modem is connected to.

In Windows 2000 and Windows XP:

Go to Control Panel -> Phone and Modem Options. Then click the Modems tab. In the list box, you can see which COM port the mobile phone or GSM/GPRS modem is connected to.'

I also just wanted to add my thanks to the people who have no doubt spent several frustrating hours figuring out how to get mobile dongles to work on the Vega (always good to know that you can't brick it!). This forum alone makes owning a Vega worthwhile and the new developments/ tips that appear on a daily basis never fail to impress!

You'll probably need a specific firmware to do the unlock guide. So flash to that firmware, unlock, then flash to 7.2MBps, test on PC, disable CD.

Guest Mickgoodie1

Got this working with a huawei e156g. Very simple to setup and to use so this is great! If anyone needs any unlocking sites pm me, does anyone know how to flash these devices with the latest firmware. Finally, is anyone using giffgaff? I want to now if they will disconnect you if you only use the goodybags plan for data only.

Guest wayne.d

hi all new here but would like 2 give a little back unlocked flashed firmware and turned off cd rom using the files uploaded all working well with e220 on voda orange and t mobile

to unlock look here http://unlocke220.com

tool_PortSwitch__1_.exe

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XVILNEF7

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YC1TFRDT

Edited by wayne.d

Guest Vansphone
Also just got this working with the Huawei e160g (Three UK / Modaco ROM r8).

Thanks to everyone, I also got a Huawei E160 working on 3.

The signal is rubbish (not the fault of the vega), so I will try O2.

Guest beegee1962

Small summary after going through the whole thread: (Maybe worth to be integrated into 1st post :( )

OK:

Huawei E220 3G dongle

HUAWEI E169

Huawei 160G

K3520 on vodafone

huawei E176

E156G dongle

Huawei e1550

E172

HUAWEI e 153u1

NOK:

huawei e1752

huawei e1750

ZTE MF626/627

Btw. searched for the Huawei E153U1 but this seems to be a typo, couldn't find that dongle anywhere.

Guest JoeDr3dd

I found on my E220 that it would just flash the blue light on the dongle i updated to the latest 7.2mbs firmware update, and it now works, had to add the 3 APN though

Just a heads up for E220 owners having issues, i on latest Modaco rom

Guest kaostheory

OK, So who's going to be first to internalize a 3g modem to their Vega?

It will be early on my list if i decide to get one :(

Guest beegee1962
OK, So who's going to be first to internalize a 3g modem to their Vega?

It will be early on my list if i decide to get one :(

That's what I want to do as well. I contacted several Chinese OEMs that are selling tablets with the same board, to get the 3G/SIM module as a spare part. So far no success.

So now I think to put a 3G dongle inside. There should be a possibility to access the USB ports from the dongle on the motherboard direct.

But first I need a working dongle. They are difficult to get here in Japan. All of them are sold with a contract only. No prepaid stuff. Need to check again in Akihabara next weekend.

Guest Dennis Elbow

Just found this... excuse the colour lol :( now I think its the Huawei e1750. can anyone please confirm it will / wont work before I buy? cheers

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/part...E+BROADBAND.htm

edit : ahh damn just noticed its listed in the not working post :(

lol try again... can anyone please confirm, this model will / wont work, also can it be unlocked?

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/part...pProductReviews

Edited by Dennis Elbow

Guest simonta

My turn to ask for help :(

Trying to set up a Vega for #1 son. Popped in his Hauwei E160E, enabled 3G and mobile data and it seemed to work. Got the 3G icon, 4 bars and even red arrows on the 3G icon which looked like data transfer indicators. The dongle light was steady blue. However, no internet connection.

So I removed the dongle and plugged it back in and for the life of me, cannot get the 3G icon back. I also noticed that the APN name is "orangeinternet" but when I plug the dongle into my PC, it uses an APN with the name "consumerbroadband". The dongle light is flashing blue.

Any ideas, both on how to get 3G back up and running and also how to edit the APN name?

EDIT. sorry, being dense. Figured out how to edit the APN.

Cheers all

EDIT. Sorry, it's unlocked and flashed with the latest firmware and the auto drive is disabled. I'm on 1.09 and mcr8.

FINAL EDIT: Figured out an APN that works for Orange. Hope it helps other - now up and running fine...

1.Name = Orange Internet

2.APN = orangeinternet (case sensitive)

3.MCC:234

4.MNC:33

5.APN Type: default

6.Ignore everything else and leave it as <Not set>

7.Then press menu and save and then turn off the phone and restart and you are done!

Edited by simonta

Guest ali_j

Newbie help!

When you are talking about flashing firmware are you referring to the dongle. If so, where do I get Huawei firmware updates from?

Guest Ste M

Anyone tried a T-mobile usb 120 modem ? having a few problems with it.

when searching for a network i get 'Error While searching for network'

Guest simonta

Hi again.

I set up my sons dongle on my Vega so run through what was needed. I no longer need 3G (I tether to my phone when needed) so have turned off the 3G service. However, the red triangle "No Service" icon remains in the notification bar. Very annoying. I could crack open the framework and edit the icon out but is there an easier way?

If I go to wireless settings, everything is disabled and I've deleted the APN.

Cheers

Guest Dennis Elbow
Hi again.

I set up my sons dongle on my Vega so run through what was needed. I no longer need 3G (I tether to my phone when needed) so have turned off the 3G service. However, the red triangle "No Service" icon remains in the notification bar. Very annoying. I could crack open the framework and edit the icon out but is there an easier way?

If I go to wireless settings, everything is disabled and I've deleted the APN.

Cheers

Try switching to slave mode then reboot, should then disappear...

Guest simonta
Try switching to slave mode then reboot, should then disappear...

Thanks Dennis, but already booted back into slave. Still there...

Guest kipper641

Thanks to all the info on this thread I managed to get an E220 working.

Unlocked,disabled drive.

Had to enter the APN manually for 3.

Bought one of those 3gig data sims off of the bay for £7.50,will do nicely for when out and about.

Keith

Guest simonta
ok now try host / reboot...

Hi Dennis, toggled between host/slave a few times, no go. I'll reflash I think, quicker than trying to weedle the little tinker out...

Cheers