Basic CM61-Pulse0.40 ROM installation with modifications

Guest twrock

Guest twrock
710mhz still just slow for Angry birds.

I want 729mHz boot.img, the boot.img from CM7 is 748mHz(unstable) where CM7 Can change it from setting, but CM6 can not.

You can install apps that will let you easily set the CPU frequency in CM6 as well. In the second post in this thread I suggested you can use SetCPU to do that (available in the Market). However, the 691mhz boot.img in this rom would need to be replaced by you if you want to play Angry Birds smoothly, since even at 691, it apparently is not fast enough (I don't know because I don't play it). And of course, you can simply install another rom that has a faster boot.img, as has been mentioned.

Of course the real solution is to get a new phone with huge CPU frequency numbers and massive amounts of ram. No matter what anyone does, there is a limit to what this old, cheap phone can do. You get what you pay for. :unsure:

Guest kyo123

I have tried the rom on my Huawei U8230. Everythings work fine only that i cant install any application; the os automatically restart whenever i install any application (.apk) files.

Pls Help!!

Guest szantos

Months ago I used FLB - sometimes it lagged a lot

Some weeks ago I used CyanogenMod 6 port for Pulse - was very slow for me, probably some bad setting

Now I use this rom for a week, and it works like a charm.

I've followed all the instructions, and the phone is more responsive then ever.

Some other(?) modifications I've made:

No animations, fading etc.

Uninstalled some unnecessary(?) apps

Frozen a lot of unnecessary(?) apps

Autorun manager for killing processes at startup

custom bootanimation

Using lightweight apps:

Zeam launcher (ADW frozen)

Quickpic (Gallery frozen)

tinyPlayer (Music frozen)

Thank you very much for this rom!

Edited by szantos

Guest twrock
I have tried the rom on my Huawei U8230. Everythings work fine only that i cant install any application; the os automatically restart whenever i install any application (.apk) files.

Pls Help!!

Almost every problem with a fresh install of this rom is related to not accurately following every step of the instructions. Typical causes of problem related to app installation are related to three things:

1. Not starting with the OLD (2010) UK update as the base 2.1 rom (linked in the first post)

2. Not using the Gapps linked in the first post

3. Not doing a full factory reset/wipe

Of course, you might have some unique, obscure problem, but typically not. And you haven't yet included enough detailed information to help me give you more specific suggestions.

You can also search through this thread for your answer. Others have had this problem and have solved it.

Good luck.

Guest twrock
Months ago I used FLB - sometimes it lagged a lot

Some weeks ago I used CyanogenMod 6 port for Pulse - was very slow for me, probably some bad setting

Now I use this rom for a week, and it works like a charm.

I've followed all the instructions, and the phone is more responsive then ever.

Some other(?) modifications I've made:

No animations, fading etc.

Uninstalled some unnecessary(?) apps

Frozen a lot of unnecessary(?) apps

Autorun manager for killing processes at startup

custom bootanimation

Using lightweight apps:

Zeam launcher (ADW frozen)

Quickpic (Gallery frozen)

tinyPlayer (Music frozen)

Thank you very much for this rom!

You are welcome. And thanks for the info on some of your replacement apps. I'm still looking for a replacement to Gallery 3D that I like. Maybe Quickpic will be it.

Also, with all of that work post-installation, you might want to consider just doing the work on the zip file first and then installing your modified rom. But the way you are doing it works fine too.

Enjoy.

Guest sporting_exodus
You are welcome. And thanks for the info on some of your replacement apps. I'm still looking for a replacement to Gallery 3D that I like. Maybe Quickpic will be it.

Also, with all of that work post-installation, you might want to consider just doing the work on the zip file first and then installing your modified rom. But the way you are doing it works fine too.

Enjoy.

Quickpic is great, but not for me as I wanted to access my online pics (Picassa) like Gallery 3D did. For this functionality I don't think you can beat JustPictures!

Guest twrock
Quickpic is great, but not for me as I wanted to access my online pics (Picassa) like Gallery 3D did. For this functionality I don't think you can beat JustPictures!

Quickpic is indeed fast, removing the unnecessary eye candy that makes Gallery3D so slow on our devices.

But thank you for another suggestion. I will give JustPictures a try too.

Guest szantos

Also, with all of that work post-installation, you might want to consider just doing the work on the zip file first and then installing your modified rom.

What does it mean ?! Sorry, I don't know, how to modify a rom myself. But now it works so great, I wouldn't install it again :unsure:

Some comment to my lightweight replacement app tinyPlayer: it's really minimalistic, and still RC, so I wouldn't really recommend it, but I listen music through BT A2DP, and if i open a browser at the same time, memory can be insufficient.

Oh, and I have no widgets on my desktop, to further reduce mem consumption.

Is there a way to set custom brightness steps for CM notification bar widget button ? (I want to set a lower lowest setting.)

Edited by szantos

Guest twrock
What does it mean ?! Sorry, I don't know, how to modify a rom myself. But now it works so great, I wouldn't install it again :unsure:

Doing a simple modification of an already modified rom is really easy. If you can can figure out how to unzip rom and rezip it, you can modify it to do most, if not all, of what you are doing with all of that "freezing" and deleting, but do it before you install the rom. But, yes, if it is already working just as you like it, there probably isn't any reason to try.

But, if you ever want to learn how to do it, you can have some fun making your own rom mod. Basically, if you unzip this rom's zip file, you will see the directory structure. You can then delete some apk file out of the /system/app folder, something like Gallery3D.apk. Then copy a replacement like QuickPic.apk into that folder. (You can get a copy of the QuickPic.apk by using a backup program like Appmonster.) Zip the rom up, making sure to maintain the directory structure, and you can install your newly modified rom, which will have QuickPic permanently installed, and no Gallery3D.

Granted, this kind of work has to be something you enjoy, or don't bother. And as long as you have a good nandroid backup, trying this stuff is quite safe. In any case, it's not rocket science. :)

Guest rambobambo

Hi Guys

Can you pls guide me I have ben having restart problem with my phone the phone restrts when camera is turned on, when it wa on UK 1.5 and even on UK 2.1 I have now installed this ROM and same happens why thios could be happening aall the time., Please help. Thanks

Guest Casterina
Hi Guys

Can you pls guide me I have ben having restart problem with my phone the phone restrts when camera is turned on, when it wa on UK 1.5 and even on UK 2.1 I have now installed this ROM and same happens why thios could be happening aall the time., Please help. Thanks

You need to install the Old UK official update 2.1 and then flash this rom.

Guest twrock
You need to install the Old UK official update 2.1 and then flash this rom.

... which is linked in the first post of this thread where there are detailed instructions on how to install this rom. rambobambo, please read those instructions carefully and follow them exactly and see if that solves your problems.

Edited by twrock

Guest Bibbly
How to install CW Recovery 2.5.0.7? img file...??

I couldn't get the CW Recovery 2.5.07 img file to install. In the end I rooted the phone using z4root and installed Rom Manager, which has Clockwork Recovery, from the Marketplace. Then I could flash the custom rom that I wanted.

Guest twrock
What custom themes work with this rom? :P

The only one I've installed is Espresso by ogiogi (http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile-pulse-pulse-modaco-com/317987/theme-espresso-mod-for-cm6-0-40-18-12-2010/), and it works great (with the exception of the misaligned graphic in one place; I wish someone with the know-how would fix that).

But make sure you get the right file! I believe you have to use a file in the second post. Remember that this "Basic CM61-Pulse0.40" rom is version 0.40 of Tom's CM port, regardless of the version number I put on it.

Guest Seng Hong

hi twrock, thanks for sharing out this ROM. it works well so far on my U8230 (flashed last friday).

here i would like to have a little bit sharing for those who own U8230 and wanted to give it a try:

Model: U8230

Version before flash: CM7.0.0 Final for Pulse (by AntonioPT, from this forum as well :P, also thanks him for the hardwork)

Reason to change to CM61-Pulse0.40: 1. Handsfree bug in CM7

ClockMod Recovery version: 2.5.0.4

problem encountered: phone reboot itself during app installation

solution to problem: (again thanks to twrock for pointing out that this could be due to the rom size and suggest to remove some apps) i remove apps that i do not need from TWeak0.3.3-gapps-pulse.zip and move all the apps from data to system, then i use this modified zip instead of the original one.

Now i am happy with this ROM and with the CPU notify i know when not to add the burden to the CPU by touching the screen.

Guest Casterina

Twrock is there a way to make the phone more battery efficient? :P My battery tends to die kinda quickly with this rom :/

Guest twrock
Twrock is there a way to make the phone more battery efficient? :P My battery tends to die kinda quickly with this rom :/

Maybe reflash the original boot.img instead of the OC one? But of course you know what that will mean about speed. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I do not have skills like Tom and others who actually might be able to do something about that. I can only "rearrange" the work people like him do. I do not have real computer skills. Also, if I recall correctly, many have said that the stock UK 2.1 rom has good battery life. But I just can't live with that limited amount of app space. Do you think this rom's battery use is worse than CM Plus? At least one other person has suggested that, but I don't know. Antonio had no suggestions why that would be true, so I have no reason to think there is a difference.

But, in my experience, if I use an OC kernel, 2.1 and 2.2 roms all burn through battery at about the same speed on the same settings. In fact, only the original 1.5 rom had really good battery life for me. But I never actually used any non-modified 2.1 rom. The Taiwanese 2.1 rom that Huawei gave us was terrible, and I started modifying the FLB roms and then building my own (based on the work Flibblesan and others were doing).

Guest twrock

Incidentally, I rebuilt my phone last night using the TWeak version of this rom. For some reason it just quit sending email I hadn't noticed that it was a problem, and only had one recent backup, which also had the problem. So I just wiped, and reinstalled. But I really considered rebuilding with Tom's boot.img and experimenting with the advantages and disadvantages. Maybe I'll go ahead and flash that boot.img and play with it for a while. But it is all trade-offs. If you want "everything", you'll have to be willing to pay for it. :P

Guest James Kei
Incidentally, I rebuilt my phone last night using the TWeak version of this rom. For some reason it just quit sending email I hadn't noticed that it was a problem, and only had one recent backup, which also had the problem. So I just wiped, and reinstalled. But I really considered rebuilding with Tom's boot.img and experimenting with the advantages and disadvantages. Maybe I'll go ahead and flash that boot.img and play with it for a while. But it is all trade-offs. If you want "everything", you'll have to be willing to pay for it. :P

twrock,

While you rebuild CM6 ROM, can you keep /system size ~80mb, and add app other apps into /data package. In the way, for whom has U8220 stock rom 1.5 device, do not need to flash UK 2.1 stock ROM.

Because some of us U8220 1.5 version has error due to provider locked.

Thsi is the messge when flashing UK 2.1 ROM /dload from sd card.

**** SD download log ****

Failure: OEMSBL version unmatched.

Failure: operation did not succeed.

dload_sd_ram_data_proc->(retry >= DLOAD_RETRY) failed!

Thanks

James :rolleyes:

Edited by James Kei