09/Feb r8 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Advent Vega with Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest SeiferTV
Confusingly, there are 2 recoveries on the Vega - the "stock recovery", which can only be entered with back-power-back with 2 seconds each and CWM which can only currently be entered with an app from the Vega.

To get into stock recovery (so that you can flash again) sometimes needs patience and a few attempts. Note also that if you see the backlight, it's too late. Power off and try again. You will see NOTHING on the Vega when it's in recovery.

Oh, I see, that's actually very helpful as I was getting the backlight every time

I was starting to think that r8 have changed the shortcut to recovery mode.

I think I'll flash stock 1.10, play a bit with it, and see how I can save some of the features I DID like from stock ( big status bar, full screen notification bar, and android logo instead of "booting..." text at the beggining )

Thanks again :)

Guest simonta
Oh, I see, that's actually very helpful as I was getting the backlight every time

I was starting to think that r8 have changed the shortcut to recovery mode.

I think I'll flash stock 1.10, play a bit with it, and see how I can save some of the features I DID like from stock ( big status bar, full screen notification bar, and android logo instead of "booting..." text at the beggining )

Thanks again :)

No worries. Personally, I believe that there is no way to change the stock recovery -which as you are just about to find out - is a VERY good thing :)

Cheers

Guest SeiferTV
No worries. Personally, I believe that there is no way to change the stock recovery -which as you are just about to find out - is a VERY good thing :)

Cheers

Well, in the end, I couldn't get to the stock recovery, but I could fix access to the CWM Recovery, which is something, at least xD

Thanks for your help :)

Guest mmoalem

ok - not sure if this was written before - was getting nowhere trying to install this rom from ubuntu (without clockworkmod) - only to realise that i to do it through root - i.e. sudo before './install-linux.sh' - probably a bit stupid of me not to realise it but might save someone else a bit of headache if you noted this in the instructions

cheers for a great site!

michel

Guest Sarah161291

Hi,

Do you have to have the preimum package for the download to work?

I bought an Advent Vega yesterday and was not told it didn't have android market, as you can guess I'm rather disappointed.

Then when i found this got my hopes up that i could have it all :)

I've tried twice to download it and not having any luck (the language in the instructions is a little to computer for me lol.)

I would be grateful if someone could explain to me in simple terms what i'm doing wrong.

Please help!!!!

Thank you in advance :)

Guest tony barnes

You just need to grab the zip from page 1

Once you've got it installed, you'll find market working nicely, and all other 'droidness ticking away happily also. Having played with my stock Vega for a little while first (gash) - this makes a vast difference!

Guest zedmeister
I've done that twice and followed the steps but nothing :)

Could you put the steps in really simple terms for me :)

Thanks!!!!

I think if you read through this thread, you'll find other people that needed it simplifying and various answers to them. If not on this tread then if you search the forum, you'll find the answers you need, but to be honest, if you just follow the step by step on the first page, slowly, one step at a time, you'll get there.

Guest Sarah161291
I think if you read through this thread, you'll find other people that needed it simplifying and various answers to them. If not on this tread then if you search the forum, you'll find the answers you need, but to be honest, if you just follow the step by step on the first page, slowly, one step at a time, you'll get there.

Do you need to subscribe to this site (as in pay) for any of the ROMs to work?

Cause i've got the free subscription....

Guest Cozza
Do you need to subscribe to this site (as in pay) for any of the ROMs to work?

Cause i've got the free subscription....

Hi Sarah, no you dont need to subscribe for the ROMs to work, there is lots of information on the forum about how to set up the R8 rom, also if you go to You Tube you can see some video examples of how to do it, unfortunatly there is one that runs through R6 but its very quiet but you'll get the gist of what to do.

Just out of interest what operating system are you using XP/7/Mac.

Good luck, let us know how you get on and if you have any problems.

Guest Oldfrat

Paul

I have managed to install the custon ROM on my Vega but had to do it from my old laptop as my PC is 64 bit and this seemed to prevent the USB driver from working. Out of interest - do you know of a way to remove the Twitter shortcut from the 'task bar' so that I can replace it with a shortcut to Tweetdeck ??

Thks for the great works that you have done for us mere mortals

Regards

Guest simonta
Paul

I have managed to install the custon ROM on my Vega but had to do it from my old laptop as my PC is 64 bit and this seemed to prevent the USB driver from working. Out of interest - do you know of a way to remove the Twitter shortcut from the 'task bar' so that I can replace it with a shortcut to Tweetdeck ??

Regards

Hi

One of the first things you'll want to try is a new launcher. The launcher is your "home screen". Try Launcher Pro or ADW for starters. Not much to choose between them and what there is is down to personal preference. Both of these (and many more options on the market) enable you to change the icons to your hearts content.

Cheers

Guest aj2703

Worked first time for me. Big thankyou for the OP. Brought the Tab today and was on the newest firmware. Flash 10.2 installed fine two.

Many thanks :)

Guest aj2703
Paul

Regards

Would like to know thw answer to that too as i don't use twitter.

Guest flegg
Well, I feel kind of lame now, but I've searched the forums with no success.

I'm running Paul's R8. rom. I tried rebooting into recoverty, but it get's stuck in the android-wit-arrow-and-box logo.

I tried the regular way ( I could get into recovery this way before, I used it to upgrade to vega 1.10 ) and It seems to enter recovery and exit very fast ( windows sounds indicate this ) or just boots normally.

Have installed clockwork recovery using Vegatools, and still, no cigar. Stuck on the logo.

So, basically, I'm stuck with no recovery :)

Any ideas?

Hi SeiferTV

Did you ever find out how to get into recovery mode? I have exactly the same problem, I have version 1.10, and I can't get into recovery mode, it seems to enter it and exit all within 1-2 seconds, windows detects it as a Android-harmony / android phone but it doesn't remain connected long enough to install the drivers. Windows 7 doesn't detect the vega at any other point, even in debug mode :/

I don't know of any other way to install R8 :) can anyone help?

Guest simonta
Hi SeiferTV

Did you ever find out how to get into recovery mode? I have exactly the same problem, I have version 1.10, and I can't get into recovery mode, it seems to enter it and exit all within 1-2 seconds, windows detects it as a Android-harmony / android phone but it doesn't remain connected long enough to install the drivers. Windows 7 doesn't detect the vega at any other point, even in debug mode :/

I don't know of any other way to install R8 :) can anyone help?

There is only one way to get into recovery, detailed on the Advent website. If you see anything on the Vega screen, even the backlight, you are not in recovery. Just keep trying but if you see the backlight, power off and try again.

Guest spottyelephant

Hi All,

Just a quick question - can the MCR be installed ontop of any stock firmware version? i.e. do i explicitly need to ensure I'm using version 09 (or whatever the latest is) before I install the MCR ROM, or can i just lift the Vega out of the box and install MCR (after the ADB drivers obviously)?

Thanks!

Guest automiclivewire

hi every one. Thanks Paul for all your hard work. Just one question, what is included in your prebaked rom? I want the preformance pack and the maket. Would they be included?

Thanks in advance :)

Guest Rovarn

Whith this rom my builtin gps doesent work, builtin 3G works fine bu not gps, why? Am I doing something wrong? Please help me out, I really want this rom to work 100%! I tested Gambaro ROM V0.2 and gps work, but some other issues do that i want this instead!

My pad is Mobii TEGRA Tablet 10.1''

(Sorry for bad language :) )

Rovarn

Edited by Rovarn