09/Feb r8 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Advent Vega with Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest crockwit

For anyone struggling to get app2sd to work here is a possible solution.

Backup all of your user apps using Titanium Backup.

Use the app2sd app to move any apps you have on the SD card to the device.

If you run out of space on the device the apps remaining on the SD card must be uninstalled.

You should now have no apps on the SD card.

Mount the SD card on your computer and examine the contents of the folder ".android_secure" it should contain files referring to the apps you had installed on

the SD card.

Remove (or move to the computer, to be on the safe side) the folder .android_secure This must be done with the SD card mounted on a PC because android will not allow

you to remove this folder.

Reboot your device (may not be needed).

You should now be able to move your apps back to the SD card without needing multiple key presses.

Restore any uninstalled apps using Titanium Backup.

Move the restored apps to SD card.

I think the problems we are having with apps2sd are bugs within the Android system of moving apps to the SD card and nothing to do with any particular ROM we have installed.

Edited by crockwit

Guest Mr E Mann

Thanks for the suggestion crockwit... followed it to the letter...

but still getting the "Failed to move application. There is not enough storage left" message

...however the ones that were on the memory card when I started the instruction, eg Angry Birds, transfer back to the sd card still

bizarre

Update: well after the previous comment, most of them have transferred ok to the SD card...

The three that remain are: 250+ Solitaire Collection, Home Switcher for Froyo and TV-Guide... everything else, regardless of it having been on the SD card before all transferred fine!

Nice one crockwit!

Edited by Mr E Mann

Guest hurdy10

Can't get this to install - it was almost finished then stopped and said there wasn't enough room on the device. Its now stuck on r6, wifi doesnt work and when I try to run it again I get a load of failed error reports. Anyone got any ideas what I should try next?

Guest hurdy10

This is turning into a massive headache. To get the Vega back, I've had to do a complete wipe for a virgin install. Runnign firmware 1.06 and everything is fine. As soon as I start flashing the r7 ROM it gets halfway through and tells me there is no space left on the device. It then sets permissions and tries to reboot, but it just hangs on the "booting" screen.

I'm flummoxed - I've flashed with r4,5 & 6 painlessly with no issues. Starting to worry now - without the custom ROM the device is useless.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got it working. I flashed with my old r6 to get it working again. I then used my third bake of r7 from the kitchen, but this time I used a signed copy. At the risk of being a noob, should I have been using a signed version all along (my previous ROMs were all unsigned)?

Edited by hurdy10

Guest cultiv8ed

Installed R7 over R6, my screen calibration is now broken and I cant launch anything. Is there any way to reboot into cwm without using the recovery icon? I tried adb reboot recovery but it doesn't reboot into cwm.

Guest nosferatu_vos

I just found out that the hardware button configuration is changed, my powerbutton was also my home button with 1 click.

How can i change this back?

Guest Mr E Mann
I just found out that the hardware button configuration is changed, my powerbutton was also my home button with 1 click.

How can i change this back?

Spare Parts will let you do that

(the menu option "End button behaviour"... choose "home, then sleep")

Edited by Mr E Mann

I have an odd mouse problem, when I plug the mouse in it seems to be working but I can no longer see the pointer. Any suggestions?

This is a known issue others including me have experienced it, anyone found a fix though?

Even the gps is now working on mine. I use the cheapo ebay gps unit via the Bluetooth gps app, it finds the position and I can then open Google maps and get it to show my location. I haven't tried it with any other maps yet.

My Ebay BT Wayfinder also works with Google Maps, but there is now no support for Car Home, or Google Navigate, and Ndrive doesnt show a GPS.... oh flip... should have stayed on 1.0.6.5 for a bit longer.. The rest of 1.08 + MCR7 is great though.

I wonder if Paul might consider looking at the GPS side of things, I remember reading that it was removed from 1.0.8 rom?

and a big thanks for the work so far, enjoy the Curry Paul..

Steve

My Ebay BT Wayfinder also works with Google Maps, but there is now no support for Car Home, or Google Navigate, and Ndrive doesnt show a GPS.... oh flip... should have stayed on 1.0.6.5 for a bit longer.. The rest of 1.08 + MCR7 is great though.

I wonder if Paul might consider looking at the GPS side of things, I remember reading that it was removed from 1.0.8 rom?

and a big thanks for the work so far, enjoy the Curry Paul..

Steve

Try a clean install of 1.6.05 then flash the new addon over it. This seems to have worked for others.

Guest thedicemaster

i've been able to test it a bit more now, but i must say the touch screen has gotten a lot more jumpy while charging on mcr7.

was anything changed about the screen sensitivity or calibration?

dragging anything has become nearly impossible now while charging.

it used to work fine on mcr6

EDIT: it appears to be a problem with the included calibration app.

i used what seems to be an older version(no icon) in the past, and running it with the charger plugged in would calibrate it perfectly.

to test it i removed the calibration app included in mcr7 using root explorer, and re-installed the version i had previously, and now after 1 calibration while plugged in the touch screen responds almost perfectly (touch point is a bit less accurate than when on battery, but it no longer reads dragging/holding as multiple touches)

the version that does work properly for me:

http://hotfile.com/dl/102255906/767faa9/moduleap.apk.html

perhaps someone else could try it too to see if it makes any difference?

Edited by thedicemaster

Guest Michael74

Daft question time

I had r6 on my Vega with the pre-xmas non flash s/w, now I have put r7 on, should I have updated with Advents new post xmas s/w or is it all included?

Ta very much

Michael

Guest wumbasa

Hello

i have a small problem. When i try to switch to USB host mode it says it will restart automatically. I waited for 5 minutes but nothing happend.

Does anyone know what im doing wrong?

Guest saltotom

Hi, First post...

Firstly thanks for all the hard work.

I'm having problems installing the update, currently running R6 without PP. When I first tried to update date I got the "Write error, no space on drive..." error whilst trying to push busy box. The rest seemed to complete but on reboot it hand on the "boooting..." Screen. I re-flashed to stock (1.06) Did an 'erase all content and settings' from Settings -> Software Tool, rebooted but this thime it ran out of space pushing the "dhcpd" and it failed to flash the boot image giving an:

-exec' /system/bin/sh failed Exec format error (8)

Anyone have any ideas why this might be happening and how to fix it?

Thanks

Tom

First off, massive thanks to Paul and all the testers!

I installed this using adb, over the top of 1.065+MCR6+PP (only takes a few minutes - brilliant).

I am mega pleased with it, it flies, I haven't seen any screen tearing etc, so I am a happy bunny.

On the negative side, I've now got the "unable to move apps to sd card" problem which I never had before, but hey, I'm not likely to run into space problems too soon, and maybe eventally someone will fix that anyway...

So, overall, big +1

Guest Mr E Mann
On the negative side, I've now got the "unable to move apps to sd card" problem which I never had before, but hey, I'm not likely to run into space problems too soon, and maybe eventally someone will fix that anyway...

Have you tried the suggestion here earlier in the thread? worked for me for all but three apps... well two now as for some reason "home switcher" moved no problem later :P

Edited by Mr E Mann

Guest zedmeister

Wow, fantastic :P definitely faster and smoother - thanks Paul

Any chance of getting a lefthanded option box that moves the back and menu icons to the left side?

Guest MarioUK

Hi there,

I've looked through this thread but cannot see anybody else with the same issue! I installed R7 by following these steps:

1. Used the erase settings option within Settings>Software tool

2. Installed the official 1.08 update from the Advent site, went smooth

3. Let it boot up fine, then used the erase settings option again (not necessary but I'm overly cautious!)

4. Ran Paul's R7 update. All went fine booted back up fine.

One thing I am now noticing is that my Suspend mode no longer works. If I tap the power button, nothing happens. If I hold the power button down until the pop-up menu appears, and then select the Suspend option off the menu, again nothing happens.

Apart from that absolutely everything else on the rom is working brilliantly, and it really had breathed a new lease of life into my Vega, so really greatful for Paul's work on this!

Mario

Wow, fantastic :P definitely faster and smoother - thanks Paul

Any chance of getting a lefthanded option box that moves the back and menu icons to the left side?

Interesting idea and certainly possible!

Home button on the right or on the left too?

P

Guest zedmeister
Interesting idea and certainly possible!

Home button on the right or on the left too?

P

Ooh, that would be nice! Its getting really tiring with everything on the right! It would be nice to have the back icon, then the menu, then the home all on the left. Also the 3 buttons for internet, apps and wifi could be on the left too!

Guest gdwhitehouse

I'm loving this build, however I have an odd problem that I'm sure wasn't there before. After a reboot I have to manually go in and turn on Smart Keyboard Pro everytime...

Anyone else seen this?

G

Edit: Uninstalled and reinstalled Smart Keyboard - all seems OK now

Edited by gdwhitehouse