Playing Dead

Guest Uxian

Guest Scottland

Had the same yesterday. Took about 4-5 minutes of fiddling before it came back to life, this problem is all over XDA on rooted and non-rooted devices. Has anyone reported this to Asus?

Guest leisurefix

I think I may have found/replicated the cause of the screen not waking, a friend has written a screen display brightness application that allows you to input 5 levels of brightness, setting the brightness of the screen to 0 replicates the problem as the screen turns off completely, but the tablet is otherwise still working and the screen will not turn back on. So, just a simple matter of getting Asus / Google to find what application is setting the screen brightness to 0, and getting them to set it to a valid value again :unsure:

My friend did suggest that a service could be written that would run in the background and check whether the brightness was set to 0, if it was then set it to 1. Not too sure how Asus have implemented the standby mode, whether that uses brightness=0, and therefore this service may actually take the device out of standby. Anyone fancy having a go at writing a service that will do this?

I have found that pressing and holding the power button for about 5+ seconds to force shut down, then waiting a few seconds, and pressing the power button turns it back on again.

Hope this is of some use!

Guest Uxian
I think I may have found/replicated the cause of the screen not waking, a friend has written a screen display brightness application that allows you to input 5 levels of brightness, setting the brightness of the screen to 0 replicates the problem as the screen turns off completely, but the tablet is otherwise still working and the screen will not turn back on. So, just a simple matter of getting Asus / Google to find what application is setting the screen brightness to 0, and getting them to set it to a valid value again :unsure:

My friend did suggest that a service could be written that would run in the background and check whether the brightness was set to 0, if it was then set it to 1. Not too sure how Asus have implemented the standby mode, whether that uses brightness=0, and therefore this service may actually take the device out of standby. Anyone fancy having a go at writing a service that will do this?

This is interesting because most (if not every) time that this has happened to me was when I took my Transformer out of its sealed case. Perhaps it's something to do with the automatic brightness control playing up in total darkness. There is an app available called "Shake it Bright" which changes the brightness when you shake the device. Might be worth a try (although it's not free): https://market.android.com/details?id=at.ab...s.shakeitbright

Edited by Uxian

Guest spuniun
This is interesting because most (if not every) time that this has happened to me was when I took my Transformer out of its sealed case. Perhaps it's something to do with the automatic brightness control playing up in total darkness. There is an app available called "Shake it Bright" which changes the brightness when you shake the device. Might be worth a try (although it's not free): https://market.android.com/details?id=at.ab...s.shakeitbright

Couldn't we do this with a simple Tasker profile?

Guest lynnd
It just happened to me again after weeks of behaving itself, took 3 attempts to boot it up again

Same here. Not happened for over a week then twice this weekend. I can't spot the patern. But have started to get some strange flashing on the browser which may have been shortly before the lock out. Also happened a couple of times if i don't close down angry bird.

Guest stuntdouble

Going by details on here as well as XDA, I'm pretty sure it's going to be due to some app or apps you have installed. Why don't you lot list the main apps you are running and see if there's a theme coming up. Are you all using a different launcher app for example? You may not all have the same problem, but it doesnt sound like you've tried much other than the force power off method, which is obviously only a temporary solution.

Guest todbld

My Tablet is on its way today, how ever i dont have a dock, I have a theory that the SOD is related to the code used for the docks sleep/wake button, could some one with a dock that gets a SOD please try and wake it using that button on the dock and report the results ?

Guest Uxian
My Tablet is on its way today, how ever i dont have a dock, I have a theory that the SOD is related to the code used for the docks sleep/wake button, could some one with a dock that gets a SOD please try and wake it using that button on the dock and report the results ?

Unortunately that didn't pan out. Got a black screen today while docked and no control on the dock caused the tablet to come out of sleep mode. Also dismissed the theory of brightness as a cause because the keyboard has brightness controls that didn't work either.

Guest Deus_ex11

I'm getting SOD now for the last week, but it never had this problem when I got it about a month ago, so I think this is a app that i've installed or a setting i've changed. I've installed loads of apps so it could be anyone of them. A process of elimination I think. Get rid one by one until I don't get sod. I will report back if I find the cause.

Does the .13 update fix this as i'm still on hr4?

Guest lynnd
I'm getting SOD now for the last week, but it never had this problem when I got it about a month ago, so I think this is a app that i've installed or a setting i've changed. I've installed loads of apps so it could be anyone of them. A process of elimination I think. Get rid one by one until I don't get sod. I will report back if I find the cause.

Does the .13 update fix this as i'm still on hr4?

Just had it happen again! A week since the last time. No app changes but upgraded firmware for dock.

Guest Deus_ex11

I think i'm on to something. I uninstalled the Gauge Battery Widget that i got from the market and I have not had a SOD for a couple of days now. I do think its more to do with a part of the system it accesses than the app itself. It will be interesting to hear from those that didn't have the Gauge Battery Widget but still got SOD.

Guest lynnd
I think i'm on to something. I uninstalled the Gauge Battery Widget that i got from the market and I have not had a SOD for a couple of days now. I do think its more to do with a part of the system it accesses than the app itself. It will be interesting to hear from those that didn't have the Gauge Battery Widget but still got SOD.

Gauge battery widget not installed. But only happened 3 times in last 15 days.

Guest mo_sjo

Mine is dead as of this morning. I plugged it all in last night (albeit with a flat battery) only to find this morning it will not switch on. I do not know if this is because I tried to charge it with a flat battery (fancy that?) or some other bug/fault. Not too impressed.

Guest mo_sjo

To follow up.. I called Asus support.. I was told to try powering it up by holding the up or down volume key and the power button (doesn't this go into the boot loader mode usually?).. Didn't work..

Then the guy tells me that you have to charge the tablet and keyboard seperately.. that is the official Asus statement.. the tablet is not designed to be charged via the keyboard.. I asked him to check his facts.. he argued he was correct and that it was the only answer I would get from Asus...

Right.......

Guest The-Nazgul

I am in contact with an Asus technician and they are aware of the problem. I asked him if I can share the infos with you, but have no answer yet! I hope that I can update you tomorrow!

Guest debbie205

I've had mine for almost a month now and this happened to me for the first time today. At first I thought the battery was dead so I plugged it in and waited for a bit. Still dead. Then connected it to my laptop and it wasn't even recognized. I had a house full of guests last night so I was thinking that someone did something to it and didn't tell me. Then I found this forum and a little hope. Pressed the power button for a good 20 seconds and then pressed it for a regular startup...it came back to life. 82% battery, very odd. Nothing in common with other posters as far a new apps are concerned. The only thing I had done on it before it died was try the live wallpaper. Thanks for the help!

• 2 months later...
Guest BanDit1

My un-rooted Transformer TF101 with Honeycomb 3.2, went into playing dead for me today for the first time. I have had this tablet for three weeks and have used it every day without any issues so far. It was un-docked and battery level was about 27% last time I used it before it went dead.

I charged it separately from the dock for about 2 hours before I tried the Powerbutton for about 15 sec. Lucky me it woke up again. Instantly after login I got a crash report window for the app Extended Controls widget.

Dunno if this widget could have some connection with all the reported issues about playing dead, but this was the first time I have had a crash from this widget and I have uesd it for 2 weeks without any incidents. Maybe something to look into?